Band disinvited from State Fair due to name

It looks like some government ninnys at the State Department of Agriculture are trying to out-woke the wokiest.

Country Band "Confederate Railroad" Booted From Illinois State Fair Over Name

"The Illinois Department of Agriculture has removed Confederate Railroad from our 2019 Du Quoin State Fair Grandstand lineup," said State Fair Manager Josh Gross, adding "While every artist has a right to expression, we believe this decision is in the best interest of serving all the people in our state."

Since they are a government entity, they are held to greater scrutiny than say a private theater would be when making content based decisions on who can play at a given event.

To their credit, they are asking the other groups invited to play NOT to boycott the event.

This will take a few sentences to round about to my point:

The Confederate imagery stuff is touchy. I figure any symbols of a country which was formed to continue enslaving others is going to be ridiculed. The Stars & Bars are a sign of the mentality of the Confederate elite.

I'm not totally crazy though with the band names and the old confederate air force name. Heck, I even rather like this song despite its "take your rebel heart" line. Girl at least makes videos with black guys so I'm gonna assume "rebel heart" isn't a reference to honor the slave owners of the old south.

To the point,

-if the Confederate Railroad guys can stand up and mention, "Hey, we donate our time to this that and this 'black' cause and Jim-bo here has a black wife, we're obviously not racists" or whatever then the state screwed up.

-if your new band, "NAZI Panzer Revolution" or "Stalin Purge" got turned down from playing at the state fair then you just might have to show how you aren't a NAZI or Commie or something.....

Their name is not a political statement.

That morons like you see politics in everything to justify your miserable existence is not our issue, its yours.

Getting the vapors over a band name just shows how weak willed and squishy you all are.

Like I said, I didn't say they were political. I'm just defending the Illinois dept. of Agriculture for making a decision. I can understand them wanting to find entertainment that doesn't include symbolism that many interpret as hateful. No laws were broken, nobody's right were trampled.

They made a decision based on content. Government can't do that without a really good reason.

Some snowflake fucktard like you having a queef-fest over a band name isn't a good reason.

Yeah, it appears they made the decision based on content. Duh.

I personally don't care one way or another about the band, I simply understand the states decision.

Government can't make decisions on content with regards to speech in general, unless there is another compelling interest.

They can. The state apparently is concerned that the rebel flag is a symbol of hate and slavery. Since many of the states citizens are black and the purpose is to entertain their citizens I think they have a point in dis inviting them. They still get paid.

The State was wrong to invite and disinvite over the name of the band, and one journalist being a snarky asshole.

Sure, the state screwed up, I agree with that. They should have never invited them and put a little extra scrutiny in who they originally booked. Or, if they don't care about the rebel flag then just let them play. It looks clumsy, no doubt.

Again, if we go by that Standard, you should change your avatar because it offends me.

Last I checked the government isn't telling anyone on this board what avatar they can use. Odd argument on your part.

For some it is. Sorry, but the world is not run by the most easily offended.

It's the entire concept of using offense as a weapon. Figures you either aren't grasping it, or refuse to admit it.

It looks like some government ninnys at the State Department of Agriculture are trying to out-woke the wokiest.

"The Illinois Department of Agriculture has removed Confederate Railroad from our 2019 Du Quoin State Fair Grandstand lineup," said State Fair Manager Josh Gross, adding "While every artist has a right to expression, we believe this decision is in the best interest of serving all the people in our state."

Since they are a government entity, they are held to greater scrutiny than say a private theater would be when making content based decisions on who can play at a given event.

To their credit, they are asking the other groups invited to play NOT to boycott the event.
I don't know if there's a higher scrutiny. But it's stupid. I remember Reagan's sec of the interior Watt trying to ban the Beach Boys from the Natl Mall and Reagan had to explain to him who the Beach Boys were. LOL

They made a decision based on content. Government can't do that without a really good reason.

Some snowflake fucktard like you having a queef-fest over a band name isn't a good reason.

Queef-fest????
OMG I laughed way to hard at that...
Thank you

I've fallen into a rut with my insults of useless protoplasm like Happy-jackoff, Trying to up my game.

Your name calling just looks like juvenile frustration, no harm done.

And your positions look like sucking Stalin's cock.

See what I mean? Your impotent rage doesn't mean anything to me.

Yet, you keep responding, you miserable little KGB wanna be.

Like I said, I didn't say they were political. I'm just defending the Illinois dept. of Agriculture for making a decision. I can understand them wanting to find entertainment that doesn't include symbolism that many interpret as hateful. No laws were broken, nobody's right were trampled.

I personally don't care one way or another about the band, I simply understand the states decision.

Government can't make decisions on content with regards to speech in general, unless there is another compelling interest.

They can. The state apparently is concerned that the rebel flag is a symbol of hate and slavery. Since many of the states citizens are black and the purpose is to entertain their citizens I think they have a point in dis inviting them. They still get paid.

The State was wrong to invite and disinvite over the name of the band, and one journalist being a snarky asshole.

Sure, the state screwed up, I agree with that. They should have never invited them and put a little extra scrutiny in who they originally booked. Or, if they don't care about the rebel flag then just let them play. It looks clumsy, no doubt.

Again, if we go by that Standard, you should change your avatar because it offends me.

Last I checked the government isn't telling anyone on this board what avatar they can use. Odd argument on your part.

Apparently enough to earn a dis invite.

It's the entire concept of using offense as a weapon. Figures you either aren't grasping it, or refuse to admit it.

Your offense isn't a weapon, it's an admission.

The Confederate imagery stuff is touchy. I figure any symbols of a country which was formed to continue enslaving others is going to be ridiculed. The Stars & Bars are a sign of the mentality of the Confederate elite.

I'm not totally crazy though with the band names and the old confederate air force name. Heck, I even rather like this song despite its "take your rebel heart" line. Girl at least makes videos with black guys so I'm gonna assume "rebel heart" isn't a reference to honor the slave owners of the old south.

To the point,

-if the Confederate Railroad guys can stand up and mention, "Hey, we donate our time to this that and this 'black' cause and Jim-bo here has a black wife, we're obviously not racists" or whatever then the state screwed up.

-if your new band, "NAZI Panzer Revolution" or "Stalin Purge" got turned down from playing at the state fair then you just might have to show how you aren't a NAZI or Commie or something.....

It's only touchy for people who WANT it to be touchy, who want to use it to shape the culture while crushing those they disagree with politically.

They could have played the fair and probably 99% of the people would not have had an issue with it.

The problem we have is not only are we catering to the 1% who do have an issue, we are only catering to the 1% that has the "right" politics.

See, HappyJoy? I can be reasonable when dealing with a reasonable person.

Queef-fest????
Thank you

I've fallen into a rut with my insults of useless protoplasm like Happy-jackoff, Trying to up my game.

Of course I'm going to respond. Putin was in the KGB, right? Apparently according to many in the right I'm in good company.

and I made a comment in a different thread that 'women think differently' and 'HJoy' who I think and ASSUME is female illustrates my comment in that other thread that women think differently .

One journalist talked about it, and the guy at the State disinvited them. We have no count of the number offended at all.

Of course I'm going to respond. Putin was in the KGB, right? Apparently according to many in the right I'm in good company.

Wow, the "Putin Putin Putin" line, you are a 1/4 trick pony at best.

To the point,

---------------------------- you just want the Band to do some Proper kowtowing and azz kissing eh Toronado ??

Didn't say they were.

That morons like you see politics in everything to justify your miserable existence is not our issue, its yours.

Getting the vapors over a band name just shows how weak willed and squishy you all are.

Queef-fest????
Thank you

I've gotten into a rut with my insults of useless protoplasm like Happy-jackoff, Trying to up my game.

Yea gotta try n be different. Be creative. Nice work.

The name of the legendary British band "Queen" was intentionally disrespectful to the royal family but even the stodgy old Brits ignored it. Here in the greatest Country in the world we ban a band named "Confederate Railroad" for an alleged association with the losing side in a 150 year old conflict. The world must be laughing at us.

So if you are offended by the bands name, it's an admission you are wrong.

Nice job

One journalist talked about it, and the guy at the State disinvited them. We have no count of the number offended at all.

I have no idea how many people have an opinion one way or another.

Didn't say they were.

Queef-fest????
Thank you

Well done, sir well done.

The band "The Grateful Dead" remained popular despite the suicide rate among fans (they even called them deadheads) but they ban the "Confederate Railroad". WTF

You think Greatful Dead fans name came around because of their suicide rate?

Hate to ask, got a link?
not what he said....

It's not? He didn't imply Deadheads got their name because of their high suicide rate? Which also doesn't appear to be true.
sorry i read it wrong....it does look that way...

The left whined for fifty years about "blacklisting" and here we are today when lefties are in charge. They prevent a country band from making a living because they don't like the word "confederate" or maybe "railroad". Go figure.

Forum List

Back