Band disinvited from State Fair due to name

Wow what was the point of this OP? was it to keep the pot boiling with hate. maybe the decision was 2 PC, maybe just an effort to keep politics out of a day of fun & sun at a state fair. I cant read minds or hearts. am just sick of the extremes of both sides. stay calm & carry on.

Lefties managed to blame the anti-communist movement of the 50's on a single republican senator who didn't even chair a committee. The dirty little secret is that Hollywood blacklisted it's own because they were afraid of a backlash against communism. The same left wing ideology is at work today and blacklisting is O.K. if you can unfairly link a modern band to racism. Freaking hypocrites.

Wow what was the point of this OP? was it to keep the pot boiling with hate. maybe the decision was 2 PC, maybe just an effort to keep politics out of a day of fun & sun at a state fair. I cant read minds or hearts. am just sick of the extremes of both sides. stay calm & carry on.
I'm sorry did their name change after they were hired?

Yeah, it appears they made the decision based on content. Duh.

I personally don't care one way or another about the band, I simply understand the states decision.

Government can't make decisions on content with regards to speech in general, unless there is another compelling interest.

They can. The state apparently is concerned that the rebel flag is a symbol of hate and slavery. Since many of the states citizens are black and the purpose is to entertain their citizens I think they have a point in dis inviting them. They still get paid.

The State was wrong to invite and disinvite over the name of the band, and one journalist being a snarky asshole.

Sure, the state screwed up, I agree with that. They should have never invited them and put a little extra scrutiny in who they originally booked. Or, if they don't care about the rebel flag then just let them play. It looks clumsy, no doubt.

Again, if we go by that Standard, you should change your avatar because it offends me.

Last I checked the government isn't telling anyone on this board what avatar they can use. Odd argument on your part.

For some it is. Sorry, but the world is not run by the most easily offended.

Apparently enough to earn a dis invite.

It's the entire concept of using offense as a weapon. Figures you either aren't grasping it, or refuse to admit it.

Your offense isn't a weapon, it's an admission.
So if you are offended by the bands name, it's an admission you are wrong.

Nice job

How about southern radio stations banning the Dixie Chicks because they spoke out against GWB?

Government can't make decisions on content with regards to speech in general, unless there is another compelling interest.

They can. The state apparently is concerned that the rebel flag is a symbol of hate and slavery. Since many of the states citizens are black and the purpose is to entertain their citizens I think they have a point in dis inviting them. They still get paid.

The State was wrong to invite and disinvite over the name of the band, and one journalist being a snarky asshole.

Sure, the state screwed up, I agree with that. They should have never invited them and put a little extra scrutiny in who they originally booked. Or, if they don't care about the rebel flag then just let them play. It looks clumsy, no doubt.

Again, if we go by that Standard, you should change your avatar because it offends me.

Last I checked the government isn't telling anyone on this board what avatar they can use. Odd argument on your part.

It's the entire concept of using offense as a weapon. Figures you either aren't grasping it, or refuse to admit it.

Nice job

How about southern radio stations banning the Dixie Chicks because they spoke out against GWB?
Are we now going to bring up every other bit of stupid out there?

Nice job

What about southern christians burning Beatles records because they joked about being greater than god...

Nice job

What about southern christians burning Beatles records because they joked about being greater than god...
------------------------------- do whatever you like with your private property or your neighbors private property with yer neighbors permission Otto .

'dixiechicks' I think that most radio stations are privately owned and can play what they like Otto .

Last edited:
but this 'illinois' fair affair is a public event where I think that ' state taxpayer paid' employees are making decisions for fans and enemies of the Confederate Rail Road who already had a Contract Otto . I think that that MAY be the difference Otto .

Nice job

You are kidding, right? You guys are the modern McCarthy. Hell, take away the few Christian stations and the TV stations showing older TV shows on Cable TV and 95% of what we see of Christianity is demonized by the other TV stations at one time or another. And that is just the Christians.

Nice job

------------------------------- do whatever you like with your private property or your neighbors private property with yer neighbors permission Otto .

So, I can burn a US flag that I own...

Nice job

You are kidding, right? You guys are the modern McCarthy. Hell, take away the few Christian stations and the TV stations showing older TV shows on Cable TV and 95% of what we see of Christianity is demonized by the other TV stations at one time or another. And that is just the Christians.

Are you denying southern christians burned Beatles records?

Nice job

----------------------------------------- I think so , don't know for sure though Otto

Nice job

--------------------------------------- yeah sure , I think so . --- Is It Illegal to Burn the American Flag? --- see what you think Otto .

Nice job

Are you denying southern christians burned Beatles records?
------------------------------- I even burned 'beetle' records as a young Redneck YOOPER in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan I was about 10 - 11 years old and we burned them on the Beach with a bunch of Driftwood on the Beach of Lake Superior behind my parents house Otto .

Last edited:

Nice job

So yes. Yes we are.
Bye.

It looks like some government ninnys at the State Department of Agriculture are trying to out-woke the wokiest.

Country Band "Confederate Railroad" Booted From Illinois State Fair Over Name

"The Illinois Department of Agriculture has removed Confederate Railroad from our 2019 Du Quoin State Fair Grandstand lineup," said State Fair Manager Josh Gross, adding "While every artist has a right to expression, we believe this decision is in the best interest of serving all the people in our state."

Since they are a government entity, they are held to greater scrutiny than say a private theater would be when making content based decisions on who can play at a given event.

To their credit, they are asking the other groups invited to play NOT to boycott the event.

This will take a few sentences to round about to my point:

The Confederate imagery stuff is touchy. I figure any symbols of a country which was formed to continue enslaving others is going to be ridiculed. The Stars & Bars are a sign of the mentality of the Confederate elite.

I'm not totally crazy though with the band names and the old confederate air force name. Heck, I even rather like this song despite its "take your rebel heart" line. Girl at least makes videos with black guys so I'm gonna assume "rebel heart" isn't a reference to honor the slave owners of the old south.

To the point,

-if the Confederate Railroad guys can stand up and mention, "Hey, we donate our time to this that and this 'black' cause and Jim-bo here has a black wife, we're obviously not racists" or whatever then the state screwed up.

-if your new band, "NAZI Panzer Revolution" or "Stalin Purge" got turned down from playing at the state fair then you just might have to show how you aren't a NAZI or Commie or something.....

---------------------------- you just want the Band to do some Proper kowtowing and azz kissing eh Toronado ??

Yeah, if I name my band "Pol Pot's Henchmen" I should probably expect to explain myself a bit. Same with these Confederate fellows. Notice I didn't say they were racist pigs or anything. Just that some things need explaining.

It looks like some government ninnys at the State Department of Agriculture are trying to out-woke the wokiest.

Country Band "Confederate Railroad" Booted From Illinois State Fair Over Name

"The Illinois Department of Agriculture has removed Confederate Railroad from our 2019 Du Quoin State Fair Grandstand lineup," said State Fair Manager Josh Gross, adding "While every artist has a right to expression, we believe this decision is in the best interest of serving all the people in our state."

Since they are a government entity, they are held to greater scrutiny than say a private theater would be when making content based decisions on who can play at a given event.

To their credit, they are asking the other groups invited to play NOT to boycott the event.

This will take a few sentences to round about to my point:

The Confederate imagery stuff is touchy. I figure any symbols of a country which was formed to continue enslaving others is going to be ridiculed. The Stars & Bars are a sign of the mentality of the Confederate elite.

I'm not totally crazy though with the band names and the old confederate air force name. Heck, I even rather like this song despite its "take your rebel heart" line. Girl at least makes videos with black guys so I'm gonna assume "rebel heart" isn't a reference to honor the slave owners of the old south.

To the point,

-if the Confederate Railroad guys can stand up and mention, "Hey, we donate our time to this that and this 'black' cause and Jim-bo here has a black wife, we're obviously not racists" or whatever then the state screwed up.

-if your new band, "NAZI Panzer Revolution" or "Stalin Purge" got turned down from playing at the state fair then you just might have to show how you aren't a NAZI or Commie or something.....

It's only touchy for people who WANT it to be touchy, who want to use it to shape the culture while crushing those they disagree with politically.

They could have played the fair and probably 99% of the people would not have had an issue with it.

The problem we have is not only are we catering to the 1% who do have an issue, we are only catering to the 1% that has the "right" politics.

See, HappyJoy? I can be reasonable when dealing with a reasonable person.

I hear you. Hopefully I don't sound mad upset crazy. Heck, I went to a Confederate Air Force show back when that was their name. I'll admit I wondered about the confederate part but I didn't see any signs the guys were unpatriotic separatists or slave owners besides the occasional stars n bars (obviously) so I enjoyed the show.

What's the correct response for folks with.....interesting....group names like this?

Forum List

Back