Be honest. "Gay rights" is code for more affirmative action.

Aberrant? You have your nerve. You insult me, and other gays in the forum, to our faces, in open forum, and I'm supposed to abide you???????? Who cares if you don't accept.

Well, not exactly. Aberrant is essentially defined as abnormal or unusual so gay is, by that definition, definitely Aberrant. You cannot argue that something that 5% of the population practices or experiences is normal. It is the way that it is but let’s not get caught up in language because we feel that there are negative connotations here.

Ernie does not need any defense as he is quite capable but let me give you my experience this as I am in the deep south:
1. Homophobes which is Ernie is not.
2. Against gay marriage which Ernie is and I believe him to be wrong but that does not make Ernie a bigot.

If someone was opposed to my receiving the same privileges which others enjoy, all things being equal with the exception of a quality of mine which they do not like, I would say it is inarguable that person is a bigot toward that particular quality.

I am NOT opposed to your receiving the same privileges which others enjoy. I am opposed to you calling it marriage, popcorn or bandanna.
It is not a matter of rights. It is a matter of definitions.

Ernie, are you that defensive and thin skinned you are worried what people call something?
Definitions really bother you that much?

Granted, but words have meanings and if we redefine the word for one aberrant group, the flood gates are open for Mormons who want to practice polygamy, NAMBLA, Muslims that want to marry off their daughters at age 8 and lonely shepherds.
Far fetched? Yup, today, but 40 years ago, gays who lived together knew that they wouldn't get a Priest of a Justice of the Peace to perform a marriage ceremony for them because their relationship couldn't be considered a "marriage".

Sorry guy I may have to adapt, but I don't have to accept.

Except you are refusing to realize that the ‘abhorrent’ group in question is doing nothing illegal unlike molestation and bestiality which are both illegal acts. If you want to extend this to polygamy, fine – it does not matter. There would be nothing wrong with that but I doubt it will go that far because many of those rights become convoluted when attempting to involve more than one spouse. The point is that none of the ‘slippery slope’ results lead to any harm whatsoever. There is nothing ‘bad’ about a polygamous relationship and the other arguments are moot as the acts are outright illegal.

I didn't say abhorrent, I said aberrant.

bodecea is right. homosexuals are not fighting for scholarships etc...they are fighting for a fundamental right - marriage.

I agree with bod that it is not about scholarships etc... and I do not believe that it is or should be about some quota system like we have with affirmative action.... but I do think it is about forced acceptance.. or else we already would have had a law or deal in place with 'civil unions' and allowing those civil unions to have the same legal 'benefits' as married couples... (tax, inheritance, power of attorney, etc)... and a lot of times when that legal equality in treatment is mentioned, that is when we hear how it is not good enough..

but hey, that is just how I have seen things
Not 'forced acceptance, but tolerance. No one is forcing anything like 'acceptance' on anyone. But the concept of tolerance seems lost on some.

Granted, but words have meanings and if we redefine the word for one aberrant group, the flood gates are open for Mormons who want to practice polygamy, NAMBLA, Muslims that want to marry off their daughters at age 8 and lonely shepherds.
Far fetched? Yup, today, but 40 years ago, gays who lived together knew that they wouldn't get a Priest of a Justice of the Peace to perform a marriage ceremony for them because their relationship couldn't be considered a "marriage".

Except you are refusing to realize that the ‘abhorrent’ group in question is doing nothing illegal unlike molestation and bestiality which are both illegal acts. If you want to extend this to polygamy, fine – it does not matter. There would be nothing wrong with that but I doubt it will go that far because many of those rights become convoluted when attempting to involve more than one spouse. The point is that none of the ‘slippery slope’ results lead to any harm whatsoever. There is nothing ‘bad’ about a polygamous relationship and the other arguments are moot as the acts are outright illegal.

I didn't say abhorrent, I said aberrant.

My mistake, I meant to type aberrant as well. I will correct my statement. Thanks for pointing out my error.

Classic slippery slope fallacy.

You cannot use a harmless activity as justification for legalizing a harmful one. Gay marriage is harmless. Pedophilia is not.

Why is it that bigots invariably try to equate homosexuality with bestiality and/or incest and/or pedophilia, EVERY TIME!?

What about polygamy and bestiality? Every time you relax the standards, the improbable gets less unlikely.

Why is it that someone who stands on principle becomes a bigot in the eyes of Progressives?

Don't assume I am a Progressive. I am not.

Why is it so difficult for you to understand the difference between harmful and harmless?

I'm not arguing harmful/harmless. I'm arguing the meaning of words.

Because most sane and "normal" human beings wouldn't "go there", thinking that polygamy, pedophilia or bestiality is synonymous with same sex marriages. It stops at consensual human beings, not related and of legal age. The world is changing, and you can't stop it...your only option is to accept and adapt. Sorry.

Many people still don't accept interracial marriages either. You don't have to personally accept....but in legal matters, you do

Interracial marriage is about rights. Gay marriage is about definitions.

Because most sane and "normal" human beings wouldn't "go there", thinking that polygamy, pedophilia or bestiality is synonymous with same sex marriages. It stops at consensual human beings, not related and of legal age. The world is changing, and you can't stop it...your only option is to accept and adapt. Sorry.

Aberrant? You have your nerve. You insult me, and other gays in the forum, to our faces, in open forum, and I'm supposed to abide you???????? Who cares if you don't accept.

ab·er·rant
/ˈabərənt/
Adjective

Departing from an accepted standard.
Diverging from the normal type.

Departing from an accepted standard. ie. departing from the accepted standard of 1 man and 1 woman. I see nothing abhorrent about about you shacking up with who ever you choose. Just don't call it persimmon.

Many people still don't accept interracial marriages either. You don't have to personally accept....but in legal matters, you do

So, when the "widow" of a gay women doesn't get the same estate tax exemption that straight widows get, it's just a matter of defnition and has nothing to do with rights? Come on. At least try to be serious.

Right to marry the person you love

Gay marriage will open the floodgates for polygamny and fundy islam?

The difference is there is no compelling government interest in limiting Civil Marriage based on gender, there is a compelling government interest to limiting Civil Marraige to two participants.

If by "fundy islam" you mean limiting Civil Marriage to age of consent, then yes there is a compelling government interest in preventing child rape.

>>>>

I agree that is the point, but my question was to Ernie along the lines of "good god man what the ef are you smoking." I was attempting a less literal and perhaps overly generous opportunity for him to explain what ever rationale he has for the belief that same sex is somehow akin to polgyammy or marrying 8 year old girls in Allah's name.

Last edited:

Total Bull shit there Ernie.
They said the same thing with interracial marriage and women's right to vote.
40 years ago gays were treated like 2nd class citizens and that was the norm.

Well, look back to what was considered normal back when laws prohibiting interracial marriage were struck down. No one in their right mind would have considered we'd be having this discussion either.

Ernie does not need any defense as he is quite capable but let me give you my experience this as I am in the deep south:
1. Homophobes which is Ernie is not.
2. Against gay marriage which Ernie is and I believe him to be wrong but that does not make Ernie a bigot.

If someone was opposed to my receiving the same privileges which others enjoy, all things being equal with the exception of a quality of mine which they do not like, I would say it is inarguable that person is a bigot toward that particular quality.

I am NOT opposed to your receiving the same privileges which others enjoy. I am opposed to you calling it marriage, popcorn or bandanna.

Brittany fucking Spears went to Vegas and got married for three days, but I can't call my 17 year relationship a marriage? Screw that.

Brittany fucking Spears went to Vegas and got married for three days, but I can't call my 17 year relationship a marriage? Screw that.

ROFLMAO

Really – that illustrates the ‘sanctity’ of marriage VERY well.

Case in pint – Vegas and alcohol is FAR more damaging to ‘marriage’ than marrying gays will ever be.

Ernie, are you that defensive and thin skinned you are worried what people call something?
Definitions really bother you that much?

Not thin skinned at all, well, I wasn't until disagreeing with the President got me labeled a racist, until exercising my 1st and 2nd Amendment rights got me labeled a terrorist or until a wealthy man who paid 13 million dollars in income tax was told by a guy claiming Earned Income Tax Credits that he was not paying his fair share. So I guess I am thin skinned when it comes to the definition of words.

Total Bull shit there Ernie.
They said the same thing with interracial marriage and women's right to vote.
40 years ago gays were treated like 2nd class citizens and that was the norm.

Well, look back to what was considered normal back when laws prohibiting interracial marriage were struck down. No one in their right mind would have considered we'd be having this discussion either.

and 150 years ago, people didn't think we'd have the discussion of women being allowed to vote either.

So, when the "widow" of a gay women doesn't get the same estate tax exemption that straight widows get, it's just a matter of defnition and has nothing to do with rights? Come on. At least try to be serious.

I have repeatedly said I support civil unions that give gay couples all the legal rights married couples enjoy so why don't you get serious and know what you are talking about before you talk out of your ass.

Really? So...if my wife and I move to Virginia, we are as recognized as a legally married couple as any of our straight friends would be?

No, but last I checked couples don't have rights. As individuals, however, you both would have the same right as your straight friends regarding whom you can marry.

Right...and anti miscegenation laws weren't discriminatory because they applied equally to men and women. Tried and failed. We don't have the right to legally marry the non-familial consenting adult partner of our choice. You do. We don't have the same rights.

Why are you comparing anti-miscegenation and gay marriage as if they're the same thing? One dealt with penalties placed on marriages otherwise similar to legal marriages except for a difference in race, which if you know anything about race-based jurisprudence, demands a higher level of review than just about any other classification.

Other thing is, there isn't a right to marry whomever you want. The "right" is that you can have a husband if you're a woman or a wife if you're a man. Diddling in semantics doesn't change that. You have the same rights as everyone else. You just don't like it. You want an extra right.

Well, not exactly. Aberrant is essentially defined as abnormal or unusual so gay is, by that definition, definitely Aberrant. You cannot argue that something that 5% of the population practices or experiences is normal. It is the way that it is but let’s not get caught up in language because we feel that there are negative connotations here.

By your definition being left handed or having red hair is aberrant.

Forum List

Back