Before 1860 secession was considered to be constitutional

There were more than a few calls to do so.

Very generous forbearance for the sake of fellow AMERICANS. Forbearance an ungrateful revisionist like you would surely have not deserved. Congratulations on being born far too late to worry about it. Condolences on being born far too late to do anything about it but make an ass of yourself online like this.

"Generous" my ass. that's not the reason. They knew if they had trials then the whole issue of the legality of the war would get dragged through the courts. The union thugs would lose that battle. Furthermore, that might open the issue of union war crimes. Half of the Union government deserved to be hanged on that account.

Now you're just fantasizing. Get over it. All the emoting in the world won't change a thing. If you personally are this incensed over the preservation of our beloved UNION, no one is stopping you from moving to some other country, if you can find one that would have you.

This country still hasn't devolved to the point where I am required to leave for expressing views that aren't popular with government toadies like you.

If you don't like, tough shit. No one is stopping you from moving to a country where they allow gay marriage. Get the hell out.

When did I say otherwise? Try reading more carefully.

I personally would love to see where it says in the constitution that government cannot stop states from seceding.

I personally would love to see some evidence that he had the slightest idea what I was talking about when I referenced the Articles of Confederation.

The Articles of Confederation were the governing documents prior to the Constitution. It's charming that an ignoramus like you who doesn't know the slightest thing about the Civil War pretends to have superior knowledge.

Last edited:
That might make it easier to tolerate reading your hysterical and absurdly futile attempts are re-'fighting' a war long over. The outcome is the same.

I'm sure you find the facts distressing. The blinders turds like you wear are impenetrable.

It is very clear that it is YOU who finds the actual, unalterable facts of history so distressing, Johnny Reb. It's over. The Confederacy was wrong and they lost. There is nothing you can type - no matter how hard you hit the keys - that will change that.

It's amusing that you equate "they lost" with "they were wrong." That's the sure sign of a boot-licking thug who believes might makes right. That's the only argument you have "the rebs lost."

LOL. All you pathetic shit for brains rightwingnut turds that want to secede, go to Somalia. No laws, lots of guns, and they would welcome whatever money you brought with you, and spend it happily after disposing of you skanky asses.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

How many times have you assholes said this, and never meant a word of it? You are mean minded low life scum, seeking to harm our nation because you did not get your way. Traitors, the whole lot of you.
Somalia is chaos not Anarchy not Secession etc...your argument there is mute. No I have never said the pledge of allegiance to the US because I don't believe in it and I will not pledge loyalty to any nation that occupies my land.I am a Southern man first and foremost and the Occupied CSA is my land.

The Constitution made no provisions for Secession

If it was legal, the Constitution would have laid out rules for how a state joins the union and how it leaves the union

the constitution made no provisions for gun grabbing either

Sure they did.

Congress gets to make laws and stuff.

I know it's "icky" for folks like you..but that's the way it is..

:cool:
Actually no one can make a law that goes against what the constitution says. 2nd amendment says SHALL NOT INFRINGE...now if you need a dictionary to look up what infringe means I can provide one for you.

Article I Section 9 of the constitution gives Congress the right to suppress insurrections.

Seceding from the union would certainly be considered an insurrection.

Therefore, it is unconstitutional to secede from the union.

It wasn't an insurrection it was a war for independence for the south...why morons call it a civil war is beyond me..civil war means one or more factions trying to take control of 1 government or nation...the south just wanted to be independent.

You don't see him lamenting over Indians, Africans or basically anyone that had to submit to the heel of America.

But Confederates?

"Don't cry for me Argentina!"

:lol:

this is coming from the same tolerant iib quoted in my signature

what fucking hypocrite

You're right.

I am intolerant of Confederate Traitors who sought to enslave human beings.

You are.

Hence the rift.
Show me 1 ship that flew the stars and bars carrying slaves,I can show you thousands that flew the stars and stripes...hence the fact the US was bringing slaves here not the CSA.
Then the confederate states shouldn't have started the civil war.

Lincoln started the war. He invaded the South.

You're just a boot-licking Lincoln worshiping moron.

Lincoln didn't invade anything.

The "South" was US territory.

Actually the south was an independent nation...just like when the US declared its independence from GB,the CSA declared its independence from the USA.

Last edited:
"Generous" my ass. that's not the reason. They knew if they had trials then the whole issue of the legality of the war would get dragged through the courts. The union thugs would lose that battle. Furthermore, that might open the issue of union war crimes. Half of the Union government deserved to be hanged on that account.

Now you're just fantasizing. Get over it. All the emoting in the world won't change a thing. If you personally are this incensed over the preservation of our beloved UNION, no one is stopping you from moving to some other country, if you can find one that would have you.

This country still hasn't devolved to the point where I am required to leave for expressing views .

Who said you were "required"? You seem to have a real problem with reading comprehension, Johnny Reb.

Lincoln started the war. He invaded the South.

You're just a boot-licking Lincoln worshiping moron.

If that's the case, then Lincoln committed mass murder. He ordered Federal troops to slaughter thousands of Americans. He burned their property, raped their women, slaughtered their cattle and pigs.

Are you really that ignorant of the Constitution?

He had the power to squash insurrection.

You wanna consider that mass murder? It's war.

:cuckoo:

I personally would love to see where it says in the constitution that government cannot stop states from seceding.

I personally would love to see some evidence that he had the slightest idea what I was talking about when I referenced the Articles of Confederation.

The Articles of Confederation were the governing documents prior to the Constitution. .

That's right, and that document allowed for a much looser 'confederation' of much more 'sovereign' states. Just the sort of thing that a bitter, revisionist loser like you would have preferred at the time when the question of Southern secession was in fact settled by the very tragic shedding of the blood of fools and many brave, some brilliant, others simply loyal, but misguided men.

I'm sure you find the facts distressing. The blinders turds like you wear are impenetrable.

It is very clear that it is YOU who finds the actual, unalterable facts of history so distressing, Johnny Reb. It's over. The Confederacy was wrong and they lost. There is nothing you can type - no matter how hard you hit the keys - that will change that.

It's amusing that you equate "they lost" with "they were wrong."

Again you demonstrate your inability to read carefully or well. I never said "they lost" equates to "they were wrong" as a principle. It just so happens that in this case the two did coincide, thanks to the just hand of Providence.

It's only considered an insurrection by boot-lickers like you. Most people living in the USA in 1860 did not consider it to be insurrection. That was purely a novel interpretation by the likes of Abraham Loncoln.

OK - so what are you trying to get at?

Do you think it should be legal for state to drop out of the union today? Is that your point?

Exactly, and the Civil War should never have happened.

You're living waaay in the past, Bribaby. Get over it, you unAmerican sack of shit.

So another "patriotic" right wing kook wants to disolve the union because someone he didnt like won an election. Give it a rest already chump. You lost, get over it.

Gallup told me this week that the South is the region most proud to be American. Not sure how to reconcile that with the fact that it also seems to be the region most apt to romanticize treason.

So another "patriotic" right wing kook wants to disolve the union because someone he didnt like won an election. Give it a rest already chump. You lost, get over it.

Gallup told me this week that the South is the region most proud to be American. Not sure how to reconcile that with the fact that it also seems to be the region most apt to romanticize treason.

You have a vocal (and incredibly under-educated) minority of rednecks who just can't stand that life is passing them by so they want to do whatever they can to sustain their way of life

If that's the case, then Lincoln committed mass murder. He ordered Federal troops to slaughter thousands of Americans. He burned their property, raped their women, slaughtered their cattle and pigs.

He left out "freed the slaves"....I guess we'll hear next that there were no slaves; just employees who didn't know how to negotiate.

How does that change the fact mentioned above?

The document we call the Constitution is, in fact, a compact with a constitution. The preamble is a compact which forms a political body, the United States, when it says "we the people of the United States." It is establishes their sovereignty. As sovereign, the United States is theirs to maintain or abrogate. The power does not belong with the States. The States exist at the pleasure of the People.

The states approved the Constitution. As the creators of the pact, they are free to dissolve it whenever they wish. They idea of a contract that you can't abrogate is inimical to every concept of law we accept.

The Constitution could be dissolved, but that is a far cry from the idea that an individual state can simply walk away from the agreement it entered into.

The states formed a NATION. They did not sign, as sovereign nations, a treaty, or a trade agreement, or an alliance. They knowingly and willingly formed a NATION, and with that understanding they agreed to sacrifice far more sovereignty and independence than can be simply reclaimed by proclamation.

Oh, and a minor detail. A great number of the states were formerly territories of the United States, i.e. possessions;

at the very least, in their cases, if they chose to try to exercise some sort of 'secession', they could only rightfully revert to being US possessions once again. That would apply if I'm not mistaken to every state except the original 13 colonies and Texas.

So right there your 'secession' argument at best isn't even arguable for almost 3/4ths of the states.

Show me treason....I bet you morons would call the founding fathers treasonous. What a bunch of scum.

He left out "freed the slaves"....I guess we'll hear next that there were no slaves; just employees who didn't know how to negotiate.
Who brought the slaves here? What flag did those ships fly under? go ahead answer me...

The United States is either a country, or group of countries called states. It can't be both.

It is either a nation, or a group of nations called states. It can't be both.

Here's what Washington said on the matter, since we're compiling pre-1860 opinions:

"The basis of our political systems is the right of the people to make and to alter their constitutions of government," Washington said in his "Farewell Address." "But the Constitution which at any time exists, till changed by an explicit and authentic act of the whole people, is sacredly obligatory upon all."

Legality of Secession

The CSA as a WHOLE PEOPLE decided to secede. The citizens of the states voted and elected the men who voted to secede from the union therefore the people as a whole decided to leave.

Oh and here is the definition of treason.
Oran's Dictionary of the Law (1983) defines treason as "...[a]...citizen's actions to help a foreign government overthrow, make war against, or seriously injure the [parent nation]." In many nations, it is also often considered treason to attempt or conspire to overthrow the government, even if no foreign country is aiding or involved by such an endeavor.

They weren't a citizen they were a nation,they weren't trying overthrow anything they were merely declaring their independence from another nation. What I find ironic as hell is the US supports other nations secession yet refuses by force to let its own states choose...

This is for all you servile turds who believe the Constitution outlaws secession:

"During the weeks following the [1860] election, [Northern newspaper] editors of all parties assumed that secession as a constitutional right was not in question . . . . On the contrary, the southern claim to a right of peaceable withdrawal was countenanced out of reverence for the natural law principle of government by consent of the governed."

~ Howard Cecil Perkins, editor, Northern Editorials on Secession, p. 10

The first several generations of Americans understood that the Declaration of Independence was the ultimate states’ rights document. The citizens of the states would delegate certain powers to a central government in their Constitution, and these powers (mostly for national defense and foreign policy purposes) would hopefully be exercised for the benefit of the citizens of the "free and independent" states, as they are called in the Declaration.

The understanding was that if American citizens were in fact to be the masters rather than the servants of government, they themselves would have to police the national government that was created by them for their mutual benefit. If the day ever came that the national government became the sole arbiter of the limits of its own powers, then Americans would live under a tyranny as bad or worse than the one the colonists fought a revolution against. As the above quotation denotes, the ultimate natural law principle behind this thinking was Jefferson’s famous dictum in the Declaration of Independence that governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed, and that whenever that consent is withdrawn the people of the free and independent states, as sovereigns, have a duty to abolish that government and replace it with a new one if they wish.

This was the fundamental understanding of the meaning of the Declaration of Independence – that it was a Declaration of Secession from the British empire – of the first several generations of Americans. As the 1, 107-page book, Northern Editorials on Secession shows, this view was held just as widely in the Northern states as in the Southern states in 1860-1861. Among the lone dissenters was Abe Lincoln, a corporate lawyer/lobbyist/politician with less than a year of formal education who probably never even read The Federalist Papers.

What Americans Used To Know About the Declaration of Independence by Thomas DiLorenzo

South Carolina threatened to leave the Union under Andrew Jackson and the use of force was threatened to prevent it. It was not considered Constitutional at any time to unilaterally leave the Union. Further the requirement to leave is that Congress agree just as Congress must agree to allow a State in. This was decided as the Offical method by the Supreme Court in 1869.

So if you really want to leave convince the Union just convince a Majority in the House and Senate.

Forum List

Back