Belief in a God, the existence of a higher power, and the concept of an afterlife. Science or Religion?

possibility vs probability.

IS space infinite? There is no agreement, no scientific consensus on that, is there?

And afterlife is possible? Probably not. Life ends. Energy is now life to you?

Can't prove the universe isn't infinite. All our knowledge on the reaches of the universe are speculation. It could be infinite. Or if you could look far enough into space you might look back at yourself. No human knows for sure. But that's what this thread is, speculation.

And life isn't energy? Well, wouldn't be alive if not for energy. All life requires energy. So the concept of your energy moving to another form to carry on after your body ceases to be able to sustain it or house isn't a crazy notion.

No one knows these things. You nor I. It's all just ideas we generate about possibilities. Some people are able to see more potential than others is all, but doesn't make anyone correct or wrong.

Can't prove the universe isn't infinite. All our knowledge on the reaches of the universe are speculation. It could be infinite. Or if you could look far enough into space you might look back at yourself. No human knows for sure. But that's what this thread is, speculation.

And life isn't energy? Well, wouldn't be alive if not for energy. All life requires energy. So the concept of your energy moving to another form to carry on after your body ceases to be able to sustain it or house isn't a crazy notion.

No one knows these things. You nor I. It's all just ideas we generate about possibilities. Some people are able to see more potential than others is all, but doesn't make anyone correct or wrong.

“What am I? Am I the bulb that carries the light, or am I the light of which the bulb is a vehicle?”

― Joseph Campbell, The Power of Myth

If the universe began from being something small like a singularity, how could it be infinite...even if spatially expanding infinitely? The necessary existence, always existing, that made the universe would be without limit in any way, still, but not the universe.

Afterlife is possible only from the Creator who gave us life to start with. Anything we cause is not providing assured afterlife.

possibility vs probability.

IS space infinite? There is no agreement, no scientific consensus on that, is there?

And afterlife is possible? Probably not. Life ends. Energy is now life to you?
If it had a beginning, could it be infinite? I'm thinking not. Of course that does not mean it won't be eternally expanding though. But still not quite the same thing.

But... given that you can never reach the edge because of the curvature of space, it is infinite in that sense, like a circle is infinite in that sense. But still... not quite the same thing.

Bottom line... no, I don't see how the universe can be infinite.

If they follow a natural order, they do. Just not that they are consciously aware that they do.
Then we aren't findamentally disagreeing. You just decided to call something a purpose that I don't recognize as a purpose. That's your semantic preference you choose because you believe in a designer.

I don't. So I don't misappropriate the word as you do.

Then we aren't findamentally disagreeing. You just decided to call something a purpose that I don't recognize as a purpose. That's your semantic preference you choose because you believe in a designer.

I don't. So I don't misappropriate the word as you do.
The definition of purpose is the reason for which something is done or created or for which something exists. The definition of reason is a cause, explanation, or justification for an action or event.

So am I misappropriating it? Or are you being overly sensitive? We live in a logical universe where every effect had a cause. Things happen for reasons and do serve a purpose. As much as you would like to believe everything is random and accidental, the evidence suggests otherwise.

Forum List

Back