Bernie: "Today the Walton family of Walmart own more wealth than the bottom 40 percent of America."

The country has bigger fish to fry...

Yep, legislation to close the loopholes so that *all* of these corporations stop ripping off the taxpayer.
The federal government screwed everybody, much bigger fish to fry.

What?
It's the governments tax code...

Yes. And do you know how to change the tax code? (Hint: the answer is in Post 818.)

So tell us how you would change it.

Time to tax the fucking waltons!!!! ;)

Just ask liberals to voluntarily pay and extra $500 a month in taxes and you will have $300 billion a year to spend on your pet programs, way more money than the Waltons have. I'm sure libs will pay I mean they are passionate about helping the poor. /sarcasm
There's another poster here who wants to go door to door scrounging a few dollars each out of the working poor. Your plan sounds a little less bizarre, but the question it raises is always the same:

Why does your scenario make more sense to you than closing the loopholes that allow 20 major corporations to pay no taxes at all?

Why are y'all so terrified of angering the wealthy?

What "loophole" is that?

First we would have to cure your math issues, your ignorance of corporations and business, your ignorance of the tax code, and your tendency to drink liberal kool-aid. I'm brilliant but that's kind of a tall order.

Start with what in the Forbes article you feel is "ignorant."

(sigh) who do you think owns the corporations? Yes participants in your Democratic party public and private union pension plans.

They're not "my" Democratic anything. And I assume you can provide some data to support that.

Are you expecting us to believe you vote Republican?

First we would have to cure your math issues, your ignorance of corporations and business, your ignorance of the tax code, and your tendency to drink liberal kool-aid. I'm brilliant but that's kind of a tall order.

(sigh) who do you think owns the corporations? Yes participants in your Democratic party public and private union pension plans.

They're not "my" Democratic anything. And I assume you can provide some data to support that.

^^^ (points and laughs) :laugh:
Yeah, I know. Asking any of you to back your opinions with facts is laughable. You can't supply what you don't have.

You're one of the few honest enough to admit it, anyway.

I'm expecting you to stop thinking in binary, but that's about as likely as expecting any of you to back your cherished opinions with facts.

You do entertain, though.

I'm expecting you to stop thinking in binary, but that's about as likely as expecting any of you to back your cherished opinions with facts.

In other words, you vote Democrat.

Just what I thought.

^^^ (points and laughs) :laugh:
Yeah, I know. Asking any of you to back your opinions with facts is laughable. You can't supply what you don't have.

You're one of the few honest enough to admit it, anyway.

Good lord what do you think they do with their pension fund money hide it under their pillow? I'm sorry if exposing the epic hypocrisy of the corporation hating left hurts. Its hilarious watching the left hate on the very corporations they own. I know why don't you tell the corporations to give your pension plan corporate profits to the workers :laugh:

Just what I thought.

IF the Democrat is left enough.

Just what I thought.

In other words, you need to put people in little boxes with labels on them so you'll feel safe. It's a weakness you really shouldn't brag about.

Good lord what do you think they do with their pension fund money hide it under their pillow? I'm sorry if exposing the epic hypocrisy of the corporation hating left hurts. Its hilarious watching the left hate on the very corporations they own. I know why don't you tell the corporations to give your pension plan corporate profits to the workers :laugh:

So your hypothesis - based on nothing you can substantiate - is that these corporations can only maintain pensions if they don't pay taxes? And you think this models good business practice? Wow.

I don't see how anyone can justify this.
Bernie Sanders says Walmart heirs own more wealth than bottom 40 percent of Americans
Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, an independent who caucuses with Democrats, tweeted a startling statistic to his followers on July 22, 2012: "Today the Walton family of Walmart own more wealth than the bottom 40 percent of America."

Sanders speaks and writes frequently about wealth distribution in the U.S., a hot-button issue among liberals and a rallying cry of the Occupy Wall Street Movement.

The Waltons, of course, are members of the proverbial 1 percent. But are they really sitting on that much wealth? We decided to check it out.

First, what is wealth?

In economics, wealth is commonly measured in terms of net worth, and it’s defined as the value of assets minus liabilities. For someone in the middle class, that could encompass the value of their 401(k) or other retirement accounts, bank savings and personal assets such as jewelry or cars, minus what they owe on a home mortgage, credit cards and a car note.

It does not include income -- what people earn in wages. For that reason, someone who earns a good salary but has little savings and owes a lot of money on their house would have a negative net worth.

In fact, because so many Americans invest in real estate to buy a home, middle-class wealth has been one of the biggest casualties of the housing-driven recession.

From 2007 to 2010, typical families lost 39 percent of their wealth, according to the Federal Reserve’s Survey of Consumer Finances, done every three years. In 2007, the median family net worth was $126,400. In 2010, it was $77,300, according to the survey.

Where the Waltons fit in

Six members of the Walton family appear on the Forbes 400 list of the wealthiest Americans. Christy Walton, widow of the late John Walton, leads the clan at No. 6 with a net worth of $25.3 billion as of March 2012. She is also the richest woman in the world for the seventh year in a row, according to Forbes. Here are the other five:

No. 9: Jim Walton, $23.7 billion
No. 10: Alice Walton, $23.3 billion
No. 11: S. Robson Walton, oldest son of Sam Walton, $23.1 billion
No. 103: Ann Walton Kroenke, $3.9 billion
No. 139: Nancy Walton Laurie, $3.4 billion

It does not need justification.

Owning more wealth than another or many others is not immoral or illegal or harmful to anyone.

Bernie heeds to justify his childish envy mongering

We are discussing if they earned it. I think they were just lucky. None of them even hold a position with the company, that isn't earning.
So what? It is still their money. So if none of them even hold a position with the company, why are you bitching about them? Oh yes they are rich and you are not.
They are rich and collecting tons of corporate welfare. My taxes go to their employees.

Simple solution: if you don't want them receiving tax money, then end the programs that entitle them to receive it.

And like I said, just ending them is political suicide and won't happen. Stop living in fantasy land.

The claim that it isn't politically feasible is just a claim that you and your ilk oppose it.

Whether you approve isn't what we're debating.

History has shown it isn't feasible. We have a republican congress right now, you see anything being done? I think you are just like the politicians. You want to talk about small government, but don't really want it.

If you just exempted all corps with no strings the money would funnel to the rich.
Exactly. But if you close those loopholes, penalize companies that send American jobs overseas and reward those that keep the jobs here, the tax structure becomes more equitable.

I would let companies pay zero if they create lots of jobs, pay well, and have good benefits and retirement. Everyone else obviously should pay.

Who cares what you would do?

Well you should because it would actually be good for the country. Your plan has been an epic failure.

ROFL! Hardly. How is communism good for the country?

How is my plan at all communism? Nobody if forcing anyone to do anything.

We are discussing if they earned it. I think they were just lucky. None of them even hold a position with the company, that isn't earning.
So what? It is still their money. So if none of them even hold a position with the company, why are you bitching about them? Oh yes they are rich and you are not.
They are rich and collecting tons of corporate welfare. My taxes go to their employees.

Nope. Your taxes are going to people who are so stupid and incompetent that they can't make enough money to pay their bills. Not a dime of it goes to Wal-Mart.

Yes but walmart gets rich off their work, not me. Since they are getting rich they should be providing for them, not me.

Nope. Because Wal-Mart makes a profit off of them doesn't mean Wal-Mart is obligated to them in any way other than to respect what they agreed to.

You keep repeating the same stupid bullshit over and over, and you never prove it.

And as long as employers don't provide for employees the government will. See you really don't want small government.

Do right wing working stiffs ever take a break from defending the rich and well born and large corporations? The ruling class won't be satisfied until America is back like it was before FDR and the progressives and the unions kicked their asses and formed the middle class.
========
The puzzle is why people who make $50K or less support the Republicans who want them to work for free while living on the same food stamps and welfare they want to eliminate.

Republicans ARE NOT the friends of working people.

Sure they say they are against abortion and keep declaring they would stop it --- but how many bills have they passed to stop abortion?

NOT ONE

Why not? They have controlled both houses of Congress and haven't even ATTEMPTED to pass an anti-abortion bill.

BECAUSE THEY LIE TO YOU FOLKS

There is a reason Fox News lies. It's owners TELL THEM TO.

It's the Republican way.

Lie lie lie and smear and then lie some more.

We've been giving the wealthy tax cuts for over 30 years and the number of jobs in America keeps shrinking as the wealthy use the extra money to move operations to some slave labor country.

Yet you, their employees, continue to support the Republican owners who own the politicians.

WHY?

I'm sure that most of the right wing posters here are in the 1% category. Either that, or they think they could become the 1% if government and liberals would get out of their way.

Why should Walgreens pay more taxes than the law requires it to pay? Can you explain that?
========
There is a fundamental ethical difference between using the legal deductions / credits in the tax law ( presuming the company didn't buy those tax credits by paying off Congressmen with " campaign contributions " ) and changing the legal structure of your company so you can avoid paying American taxes completely.

The clauses that allow them to escape paying American taxes were, by and large, BOUGHT WITH CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTIONS.

You think it is just fine for them to not pay taxes but you do realize don't you, that for every dollar in taxes Walgreen doesn't pay someone --- YOU --- has to pay it.

On one hand you righties bitch about paying too much in taxes and on the other you declare it's just fine for corporations / wealthy to ESCAPE PAYING TAXES COMPLETELY via legal technicaliteis and loopholes.

JUST HOW STUPID ARE YOU RIGHTIES?

Never mind, I think we all already know. Just look at the candidates the Republicans think should be President.

Forum List

Back