Bernie: "Today the Walton family of Walmart own more wealth than the bottom 40 percent of America."

While it is theirs certainly, the earned part is questionable. Everyone is born.

What's questionable is why you leftists have latched onto the word "earned", and think you can demand that people prove to you that they "deserve" their own property through meeting some arbitrary definition of "earned".

They built and maintained a relationship with their father, such that he chose to give them his property. YOU, on the other hand, didn't even do that much. So I think we can safely say the Walton children did more to "earn" what they have than YOU did. Or the government did. Or anyone who doesn't actually own the money did.

No actually I do far more than the Waltons, none of them even have a position with the company. They don't work at all. I work quite a lot.

Not true. Rob Walton is the CEO of the company. Most of the others have positions with other companies. They are all on the Walton Family Foundation's board of directors.

Of course it isn't true. Lefties lie, it's what they do.

Rob Walton isn't ceo moron.

He was, moron:

Rob Walton - Walmart Board of Directors

S. Robson Walton (Rob Walton)
Retired Chairman of the Board of Directors

The man is 94. Do you expect him to work until he drops dead?

While it is theirs certainly, the earned part is questionable. Everyone is born.

What's questionable is why you leftists have latched onto the word "earned", and think you can demand that people prove to you that they "deserve" their own property through meeting some arbitrary definition of "earned".

They built and maintained a relationship with their father, such that he chose to give them his property. YOU, on the other hand, didn't even do that much. So I think we can safely say the Walton children did more to "earn" what they have than YOU did. Or the government did. Or anyone who doesn't actually own the money did.

No actually I do far more than the Waltons, none of them even have a position with the company. They don't work at all. I work quite a lot.

Not true. Rob Walton is the CEO of the company. Most of the others have positions with other companies. They are all on the Walton Family Foundation's board of directors.

You might want to start thinking about starting a sock account and never post as"Brain" again

For one thing, if they raise their wage costs, they reduce their profit, and they automatically pay lower taxes as a result. Your plan would have to provide a substantially better incentive in taxes than the cost of the additional wages, and you couldn't do that even if you dropped corporate taxes to zero. For another, if most companies paid out their entire profit additional wages, it wouldn't have an appreciable effect on wages. Third, reducing company profits means reducing economic growth because profits are the fuel for growth.

So then companies now don't pay much in taxes you are saying?

It's a small fraction of what they pay in wages.
The government grows because libturds and all the people who get a check from the government (is there a distinction?) want it to grow.

And those people get a check from the gov because their employer hoses them. Either the gov or the employers need to provide for them. If you want small gov the only answer is the employer. This isn't so hard to understand.

No, they get a check from the government because they do a job that doesn't command a better paycheck. Blaming others for not paying you huge amounts to do a job a middle-schooler could manage is just part and parcel of why one doesn't have a better life.

Neither the government nor their employer "needs to provide for them", nor does anyone else.. THEY need to stop thinking like children, and provide for themselves. THAT is the only answer, and it isn't hard to understand, unless you're a lazy parasite.

Really? Cause in the example of Walmart the workers are making the waltons billions a year. Sounds pretty valuable to me.

The Waltons provide a million employees with good wages for jobs that require no marketable skills. They're getting the better end of the bargain.

Yes the Waltons make billions paying many so little they are on welfare. The waltons definitely have the better end of the bargain.

NO, they don't. Wal-Mart has 2.2 million employees. You're telling us that the sum total of the benefit they recieve is less than what the half dozen Walmart heirs receive? Only an idiot would make such a claim.

The part where the corporation saves enough in taxes to compensate for the increased cost of wages doesn't add up.

Why not? You republicans run around saying our corporations are the most taxed in the world. Are you now saying they aren't? Walmart for instance would have an extra 7.1 billion.

Wal-Mart as 1,000,000 employees. Paying them all an extra $1.00/hr means an additional $20 billion in payroll costs. That's more than their entire profit for the year.

I realize you won't get this because math is hard for leftwing turds.

How many employees they have on welfare?

What difference does that make?

Well we are talking about getting people off welfare. I assume all million employees aren't on welfare. Pretty sure 7.1 billion would be enough incentive to get every Walmart employee off welfare.

In other words, you want to pay people who've only been there a month the same as people who've been there 10 years. Yeah, that will go over great with their loyal experienced employees.

You keep saying that, but you can't quote any examples. Actually, you're the one who equates your opinion with fact, like your theory Wal-Mart's wages require us to pay for food stamps. That's obvious horseshit.

Posted it once. Posting it again:

Report: Walmart Workers Cost Taxpayers $6.2 Billion In Public Assistance

Uhm.... No they don't, it is the politicians who decided what the poverty level is.

Wal-Mart is providing a job at what the market is, don't work there if the employees don't like it.

The question was whether or not some Walmart employees were receiving SNAP benefits, period.

If you think the information is inaccurate, you might want to write to Forbes and let them know.

No, that isn't the question. The question is whether Wal-Mart is responsible for their SNAP benefits. It isn't, by any definition of the term "responsible."

When this nation was great, we would see a rich man and think; someday that's going to be me. That kind of thinking made us the greatest and most powerful nation on earth. Now most people look at a rich man and think; we need to take his money away. That kind of thinking has been instrumental in our decline.

That sounds real nice, but that was when we had strong unions and more opportunities. Now wages are stagnant.

LOL, unions provided "opportunities?" That's classic

He was, moron:

Rob Walton - Walmart Board of Directors

S. Robson Walton (Rob Walton)
Retired Chairman of the Board of Directors

The man is 94. Do you expect him to work until he drops dead?

You clearly stated multiple times he IS the ceo. He clearly is not.

When this nation was great, we would see a rich man and think; someday that's going to be me. That kind of thinking made us the greatest and most powerful nation on earth. Now most people look at a rich man and think; we need to take his money away. That kind of thinking has been instrumental in our decline.

That sounds real nice, but that was when we had strong unions and more opportunities. Now wages are stagnant.

LOL, unions provided "opportunities?" That's classic

For good wages yes.

Why not? You republicans run around saying our corporations are the most taxed in the world. Are you now saying they aren't? Walmart for instance would have an extra 7.1 billion.

Wal-Mart as 1,000,000 employees. Paying them all an extra $1.00/hr means an additional $20 billion in payroll costs. That's more than their entire profit for the year.

Well we are talking about getting people off welfare. I assume all million employees aren't on welfare. Pretty sure 7.1 billion would be enough incentive to get every Walmart employee off welfare.

In other words, you want to pay people who've only been there a month the same as people who've been there 10 years. Yeah, that will go over great with their loyal experienced employees.

So it takes ten years to make enough to not be on welfare?

You might want to start thinking about starting a sock account and never post as"Brain" again

Really? Cause in the example of Walmart the workers are making the waltons billions a year. Sounds pretty valuable to me.

To the extent that the Walton family still derives income from WalMart, it's their investment in same which makes them money. The workers are trading their labor for compensation, and if they don't think that compensation is fair, they're welcome to sell their labor elsewhere.

Furthermore, there is nothing one-sided about the arrangement, no matter what you think, since the monetary investments of the shareholders ALSO provides the employees with the opportunity to sell their labor to the company.

This ludicrous notion that only the rank-and-file, I-could-train-a-child-to-do-this-job workers are contributing any work or value to the company is the worst sort of simplistic, puerile thinking.

How many times do you have to repeat this before it even remotely resembles the actuality?

That is reality, no matter how much you deny it.

And yet, neither you nor she can provide the slight shred of evidence for your "reality." Repeat it a few more times, though.

Economists have proven it over and over. Why do you think we need to regurgitate what they have said?

It's always a good idea to produce reliable studies and statistics to demonstrate what one says. But leftists have such an overwhelming tendency to miss the point that they do it on this, too, and insist on having pictures drawn in bright, colorful Crayon for everything. The idea of simply following the logic and thinking is alien to them. All they can see is that being forced to prove their assumptions is devastating to their arguments, and so they think it's the words, "Prove it" that are doing the damage, rather than understanding why. This leads to the pitifully amusing spectacle of them closing their eyes, plugging their ears, and chanting, "Prove it, prove it, prove it" to painfully obvious assertions like the sky is blue, and water is wet.

I haven't really said much that required any more proof than linear thinking. When I do, I provide it, such as my link from Forbes showing that WalMart certainly DOES pay taxes.

No "evidence" is required for the facts that the Waltons derive their income from investing their money; that rank-and-file Walmart jobs are simple, unskilled labor; or that far more goes into the money that WalMart makes than just the lowest-level cashiers and stockboys that one sees when one shops there. And all of WalMart's employees are paid the going rate - often a bit more than that - for the jobs they perform. This is all easily evident to anyone willing to engage their gray matter.

You're right. He was Chairman of the Board of Directors of WalMart until this year, at which point I believe he retired.

For purposes of this discussion, though, it's not a huge difference, since the point was that he certainly did work in re: WalMart. And he is involved in the Walton Family Foundation still.

How about "Brian 753"

It's theirs and they earned it. More power to them.

I've already pointed out that Rob Walton is CEO of the company.

In the interests of not letting them digress and natter over details, I will point out that Rob Walton was the Chairman of the Board of Directors, not CEO. Doug McMillon is the CEO.

According to CNN Money, Sam and Helen Walton had four children. John, their son, died in a plane crash, so possibly we can dispense with the liver-eating envy in regards to him. Their son, Rob, graduated college and took a job with the law firm representing WalMart until the early 90s, when he went to work directly for WalMart as their general counsel and one of their vice-presidents. And, of course, Chairman of the Board. Their third son, Jim, manages Walton Enterprises, the parent company of the family's businesses, which handles the family's stock in WalMart as well as other investments. Their daughter, Alice, worked for WalMart as a buyer, then left to become a broker and start her own investment company.

All four living Waltons - Helen, Rob, Jim, and Alice, are active in charity work on behalf of the Walton Family Foundation, and donate millions of dollars of their own money to same.

How much did YOU donate to charity last year, Brain?

The Walton heirs - Jun. 28, 2005

Who We Are

Do you have kids in school? Elderly parents? A mortgage on a house you've put hours of work into?

You are kidding.....I hope.

People have been moving since the dawn of time. With kids in school and elderly parents. And your mortgage is your business.

Or do you really believe that is an entitlement ?

I believe that people with commitments to their families take those commitments seriously.

I've also observed that those who toss off "Pick up and move where the jobs are" usually have no commitments or don't give a shit.

"Oh, the wife has a job locally? Well, fuck her - we're moving!"

What an A-hole. I have a friend who just quite his job and took another job in Wisconsin. His wife had to quit hers so they could move. People move all the time, and the wife usually has to quit when they do.

"Kids like their school? Well, fuck them, we're moving!"

So you're saying my parents said "Fuck the kids" when we moved?"

"Mom's in a nursing home and she won't get to see me or the grandkids that often if we move? Well, fuck her (she doesn't like me anyway; can't imagine why), we're moving!"

I wouldn't put my mother in a nursing home. That is cruelty of the worse kind. However, we all know libs don't want their parents living with them. That's one reason they always give for supporting Social Security.

My mother is getting on in age, and at least one family member has always lived with her. When I, as the youngest, became an adult, it was because my father was starting the long, painful decline to his death, and she needed help with him. After he died, it was her health that became the concern. We have determined that, unless she declines so badly that she needs round-the-clock medical care, we do not want her in a nursing facility. With that in mind, a purchase was made years ago of a 1-acre plot of land with two manufactured houses on it, so that my brother and my daughter can remain with her until she dies and still have space for their own families.

I have little patience with families who simply don't want to be bothered with their own elderly.

My mother took care of my father until he died. My sister lived with my mother all her life and took care of her until she died. We also had some hired help (Visiting Angels) come in to to help with things, especially in the last year she was alive. If my sister wasn't there, then she would have moved in with one of us.

Don't ever put your mother in a nursing home. She will begin a rapid decline the minute you do. My wife worked in one for a while, and she would tell me plenty of horror stories about the place.

My dad lived in a nursing home for the last ten years of his life, because his medical condition was just too severe to be managed at home. He required doctors and nurses actually on-hand, physical therapists, and expensive equipment such as a hydraulic lift that could move him from wheelchair to bed and back, to prevent injuries from falling. My mother visited him every day, and the rest of the family visited him 3-4 times a week, to monitor his care.

I consider it a last-ditch means, and it definitely requires the family to watch staff like a hawk, but I believe the care extended his life and the quality of his life once he became too much for us to manage on our own. I liked that he was out of bed most days, sitting in the garden or going to the common room and attending church, things that we couldn't have provided at that point.

You keep saying that, but you can't quote any examples. Actually, you're the one who equates your opinion with fact, like your theory Wal-Mart's wages require us to pay for food stamps. That's obvious horseshit.

Posted it once. Posting it again:

Report: Walmart Workers Cost Taxpayers $6.2 Billion In Public Assistance

Uhm.... No they don't, it is the politicians who decided what the poverty level is.

Wal-Mart is providing a job at what the market is, don't work there if the employees don't like it.

And how much would those people be getting in assistance if they didn't have a job at all?

Once again, it is not WalMart somehow forcing those people to try to make a career out of being cashiers and stockboys well into adulthood, long past the time that they should have moved on to better career opportunities. The choice to remain in a job that should have been nothing more than an entry-level stepping stone is the employee's, as is the choice to remain on public assistance.

For one thing, if they raise their wage costs, they reduce their profit, and they automatically pay lower taxes as a result. Your plan would have to provide a substantially better incentive in taxes than the cost of the additional wages, and you couldn't do that even if you dropped corporate taxes to zero. For another, if most companies paid out their entire profit additional wages, it wouldn't have an appreciable effect on wages. Third, reducing company profits means reducing economic growth because profits are the fuel for growth.

So then companies now don't pay much in taxes you are saying?

It's a small fraction of what they pay in wages.
The government grows because libturds and all the people who get a check from the government (is there a distinction?) want it to grow.

And those people get a check from the gov because their employer hoses them. Either the gov or the employers need to provide for them. If you want small gov the only answer is the employer. This isn't so hard to understand.

No, they get a check from the government because they do a job that doesn't command a better paycheck. Blaming others for not paying you huge amounts to do a job a middle-schooler could manage is just part and parcel of why one doesn't have a better life.

Neither the government nor their employer "needs to provide for them", nor does anyone else.. THEY need to stop thinking like children, and provide for themselves. THAT is the only answer, and it isn't hard to understand, unless you're a lazy parasite.

The Waltons provide a million employees with good wages for jobs that require no marketable skills. They're getting the better end of the bargain.

Yes the Waltons make billions paying many so little they are on welfare. The waltons definitely have the better end of the bargain.

The WalMart corporation makes billions by charging low prices, and paying slightly better than the going rate for unskilled labor that can be - and is - done by people who are developmentally disabled. (They're actually quite popular with organizations that work to get the disabled gainfully employed.) Despite your belief that WalMart jobs are despicable and the fifth circle of hell, they're actually quite prized among retail workers, who would receive $1-2 less an hour if they did the same job for, say, Kroger or KMart.

Once again, if you are in your thirties and had a bunch of kids and are still diddling around as a WalMart cashier, all of the responsibility for your financial problems lies with you, not WalMart. Like every other successful business in America, they set their wages according to the work you do, not according to what you'd like to be paid.

Is it better to be rich? Sure. Does that make those who are not entitled to the property of those who are? Not a chance.

What's laughable is that liberals cannot comprehend that absolutely nobody is required to buy anything from Walmart. In second place is their failure to comprehend that nobody is compelled to work for Walmart.

But still they quietly shop there because liberals are, above all else, cheap bastards who want to pay the least possible.

The problem is that Walmart type jobs are mostly all we have now with the decline in unions. Walmart is the largest private employer in the country after all.

Yeah, it's not a lack of unions that caused that problem. It's too much union activity, as well as too much government meddling, that left us with a retail-and-service-job economy, and all the manufacturing overseas.

Unions are in decline because so many people have seen what useless, vestigial organizations they are.

I wish it was that simple, ok Wal Mart raised their MW up to $10 bucks an hour in 2016 for like 500,000 employees that is livable in places like Alabama and SC but would still need assistance in places like Chicago or New York.

Do you think they wouldn't? I should research how many times the welfare rate was raised.... But probably would take to long and it would very state to state.

I am pretty sure 7.1 billion would be enough to get the welfare employees off.

I wish it was that simple, ok Wal Mart raised their MW up to $10 bucks an hour in 2016 for like 500,000 employees that is livable in places like Alabama and SC but would still need assistance in places like Chicago or New York.

Do you think they wouldn't? I should research how many times the welfare rate was raised.... But probably would take to long and it would very state to state.
Major urban areas like Chicago and New York have far more job opportunities than rural areas, which is one of the reasons there are fewer Walmarts in those areas. Why would anyone apply at Walmart when they can get paid better by a competitor?

The myth that "Walmart people can barely work a cash register and can't work anywhere else" exists mainly in Cecelie's fevered brain.

There aren't as many WalMarts in (heavily Democratic) urban areas because the limousine liberals running those city and county governments block their construction.

Walmart Stores Go Small and Urban - PlannersWeb

Let me give you an example. The oldest shopping mall in Tucson is El Con Mall. It's in the center of town (in fact, almost exactly at the geographical middle of the city boundaries). It is close to numerous low-income neighborhoods whose residents would otherwise need to travel some distance to get inexpensive goods. El Con was badly out-of-date and nearly deserted, because its owners insisted on only leasing to high-end luxury stores, which saw no profit in a location mostly surrounded by lower-class and lower-middle-class neighborhoods.

El Con was sold, and the new management wanted to remodel and upgrade, and include stores that would actually interest the shoppers nearby. Number one on the list of stores they wanted to include was WalMart, since at that time, there was not a WalMart store within ten miles of that location. However, construction on El Con and its WalMart was delayed and nearly scuttled by the fact that it sits adjacent on one side to one of the oldest wealthy neighborhoods in town, occupied by Tucson's version of "old money". They didn't feel that WalMart was upscale enough to be next to their mansions, and would attract too much noise and traffic to their little enclave, and persuaded the City Council to halt construction. Basically, it was all about NIMBY: Not In My Back Yard. Oh, we care about the poor . . . as long as they take their grubby peasant selves ten miles away to shop.

Eventually, the rich people lost this particular battle, and El Con now has a shiny new WalMart, and also attracted Target and Home Depot, as well as a slew of smaller stores and restaurants. They do a thriving business, and property values in the surrounding poorer neighborhoods have gone up, given their new proximity to convenient shopping.

Oh, and anyone who doesn't think the unskilled labor can't make change without a computer to tell them what to do has clearly never been to WalMart on a day when the computers went down.

I don't see how anyone can justify this.
Bernie Sanders says Walmart heirs own more wealth than bottom 40 percent of Americans
Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, an independent who caucuses with Democrats, tweeted a startling statistic to his followers on July 22, 2012: "Today the Walton family of Walmart own more wealth than the bottom 40 percent of America."

Sanders speaks and writes frequently about wealth distribution in the U.S., a hot-button issue among liberals and a rallying cry of the Occupy Wall Street Movement.

The Waltons, of course, are members of the proverbial 1 percent. But are they really sitting on that much wealth? We decided to check it out.

First, what is wealth?

In economics, wealth is commonly measured in terms of net worth, and it’s defined as the value of assets minus liabilities. For someone in the middle class, that could encompass the value of their 401(k) or other retirement accounts, bank savings and personal assets such as jewelry or cars, minus what they owe on a home mortgage, credit cards and a car note.

It does not include income -- what people earn in wages. For that reason, someone who earns a good salary but has little savings and owes a lot of money on their house would have a negative net worth.

In fact, because so many Americans invest in real estate to buy a home, middle-class wealth has been one of the biggest casualties of the housing-driven recession.

From 2007 to 2010, typical families lost 39 percent of their wealth, according to the Federal Reserve’s Survey of Consumer Finances, done every three years. In 2007, the median family net worth was $126,400. In 2010, it was $77,300, according to the survey.

Where the Waltons fit in

Six members of the Walton family appear on the Forbes 400 list of the wealthiest Americans. Christy Walton, widow of the late John Walton, leads the clan at No. 6 with a net worth of $25.3 billion as of March 2012. She is also the richest woman in the world for the seventh year in a row, according to Forbes. Here are the other five:

No. 9: Jim Walton, $23.7 billion
No. 10: Alice Walton, $23.3 billion
No. 11: S. Robson Walton, oldest son of Sam Walton, $23.1 billion
No. 103: Ann Walton Kroenke, $3.9 billion
No. 139: Nancy Walton Laurie, $3.4 billion

Isn't it nice that with all the wealth they turn around and help the bottom 40% with it by providing them opportunity to improve their lives with it? They provide jobs to the lowest skilled workers who need a chance the most. It opens the door for the ones who take advantage of it to improve their lives and keep getting better jobs

They also donate millions of their own dollars to a charitable foundation that spends money on improving K-12 education, so that more children have the tools they need to make better lives for themselves. Selfish bastards.

Forum List

Back