Best US States to live in??

Because there's more to life than taxes and money.
There's more here in TX than low cost of living and a plethora of jobs.

Don't misunderstand me, I love Texas. I live next door to Texas. But it is a fact that you have very high property taxes------obviously to offset having no income tax and low sales taxes.

I have friends in the Houston area who have a house comparable to mine and their taxes are double what mine are in La.
Personally, I'd prefer a 2% real estate tax and an 8% sales over a higher total that included personal income tax. I suppose which one you prefer sort of depends on where you are in life. TX tax structure is the same as Florida's. All taxes filter down, eventually, to the consumer... so IMO the important information is the per capita rate, the overall cost of living in the state, and the income you can earn in the state. But yes if you have no income and are looking to own a McMansion then yeah you might want to look at that tax rate first.

Last edited:
No, YOU are talking about property taxes. The OP was looking for the best state in the USA to live based on liberties, vibrancy of economy, and infrastructure. Additionally a decent home in TX costs a small fraction of what a decent home costs in NY, thus the property taxes are in effect mitigated.

Why would someone prefer to live in NY where the taxes per capita are DOUBLE the taxes in Texas? The OP wants to move away from NY not to NY.

Yeah, you got flat barren nothingness broken up by characterless subdivisions, strip malls, and chain restaurants.

Yeah, you got flat barren nothingness broken up by characterless subdivisions, strip malls, and chain restaurants.

lol you've been watching to many movies.

Central TX, which was my recommendation, is "hill country." Here are some photos of your flat barren nothingness.
TexasHillCountry.jpg

HCDABG%20copy.jpg

Chain restaurants? ROFL we have thousands of non chain restaurants in central tx. Strip malls? Maybe on the highway, we have plenty of non-strip malls and custom shops for all your shopping desires.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back