🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Betsy DeVos: Common Core is Dead

Common core is child abuse

Common Core is standards. It is WHAT you need to know how to do, not how to do it!

Your understanding is where the problem lies.
Bullshit. Common core is a structured one size fits 100 million kids on what to learn and how to learn it.

Common is what to learn, but it is NOT how to learn. That's the role of a curriculum...which Common Core is not.

With all due respect if you don't know the difference between a set of standards and a curriculum...you know next to nothing about education.
Everything about common core is wrong...
For the individual that’s why the collective loves it

Name ONE ELA standard that you don't think should be taught in schools.

English Language Arts Standards | Common Core State Standards Initiative
Most parents want nothing to do with common core, that’s why it should not be exposed to those parents kids.
That’s why I homeschool… The federal government cannot be trusted with education in anyway whatsoever...

Going to take a long time to undo the damage caused by the Obama Error.

13601528945_437c1d896c.jpg

Betsy DeVos: Common Core is dead at U.S. Department of Education | Get Schooled
Common core was introduced by Reagon by the way! Regardless it was supported by every pres since then and it was a fiasco!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hold all of them respensible for not altering track! I would like to see this disappear!

Going to take a long time to undo the damage caused by the Obama Error.

13601528945_437c1d896c.jpg

Betsy DeVos: Common Core is dead at U.S. Department of Education | Get Schooled
Common core was introduced by Reagon by the way! Regardless it was supported by every pres since then and it was a fiasco!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hold all of them respensible for not altering track! I would like to see this disappear!
No doubt, common core is not good for the individual at all. The vast majority of parents want nothing to do with it… It holds kids back. And it goes against the wishes of the parents everywhere...

Common Core is standards. It is WHAT you need to know how to do, not how to do it!

Your understanding is where the problem lies.
Bullshit. Common core is a structured one size fits 100 million kids on what to learn and how to learn it.

Common is what to learn, but it is NOT how to learn. That's the role of a curriculum...which Common Core is not.

With all due respect if you don't know the difference between a set of standards and a curriculum...you know next to nothing about education.

Most parents want nothing to do with common core, that’s why it should not be exposed to those parents kids.
That’s why I homeschool… The federal government cannot be trusted with education in anyway whatsoever...

In other words you can't find ONE standard (ELA) that shouldn't be taught in schools.

Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely not for a one size fits all approach-which is why I'd be against any curriculum being adopted on a federal level. However standards are WHAT is taught-not HOW. For example one of my standards is:

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.W.11-12.1.A
Introduce precise, knowledgeable claim(s), establish the significance of the claim(s), distinguish the claim(s) from alternate or opposing claims, and create an organization that logically sequences claim(s), counterclaims, reasons, and evidence.

This standard states that students in the 11th and 12th grades learn how to write/make an argument, and support it with evidence, commentary, etc.

I don't think anybody would be against every states making sure that students learn this skill, including yourself.

That is the "what".

The "how" would be teacher assigning different assigns as to what their actual arguments might be. Are they going to argue whether we should keep the electoral college? Have more or less gun control? Whether schools should adopt uniforms?

In other words you can't find ONE standard (ELA) that shouldn't be taught in schools.

Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely not for a one size fits all approach-which is why I'd be against any curriculum being adopted on a federal level. However standards are WHAT is taught-not HOW. For example one of my standards is:

Introduce precise, knowledgeable claim(s), establish the significance of the claim(s), distinguish the claim(s) from alternate or opposing claims, and create an organization that logically sequences claim(s), counterclaims, reasons, and evidence.

This standard states that students in the 11th and 12th grades learn how to write/make an argument, and support it with evidence, commentary, etc.

I don't think anybody would be against every states making sure that students learn this skill above, including yourself.

That is the "what".

The "how" would be teacher assigning different assigns as to what their actual arguments might be. Are they going to argue whether we should keep the electoral college? Have more or less gun control? Whether schools should adopt uniforms?
Common core is absolutely the wrong way to approach education, because the parents want nothing to do with it. Why force something on to other people’s kids?

I don't think anybody would be against every states making sure that students learn this skill above, including yourself.

That is the "what".

Common core is absolutely the wrong way to approach education, because the parents want nothing to do with it. Why force something on to other people’s kids?

So you think it's wrong to tell parents that their children should learn how to write/make clear arguments, supported with commentary and evidence?

PS: You keep dodging the question as to which specific ELA standard shouldn't be taught in all schools. I suspect it's because you're unable to do so.

Intelligent people laugh at Common core, It takes 10 steps to solve the same problem that traditional arithmetic takes a step and a half

Exactly common core math first teaches you the wrong way to solve a problem.

Just because you cannot figure it out doesn't make it wrong. It makes you a dumb ass!
Why take 10 steps to solve the problem when you can do it in a step And half with traditional math... lol

Because traditional math has taught us to memorize without explaining why and how. This is great for arithmetic skills but is bad for reasoning and critical thinking skills.

The fact that many of the folks here didn't know how to make 10 from 8+5 shows they lack simple mathematical reasoning skills. They were just taught to memorize 8+5 and not taught the properties of these numbers through partitioning.
Sounds like a copout

Its sounds like a cop out because you don't understand the new math strategies used. You've been taught math in a very rigid way( due to traditional math).

So it seems silly to you. But common core math actually teaches kids to look at numbers and sums in different ways instead of just memorizing facts.

Unfortunately many parents and teachers in America have a sucky attitude towards math in this country. So when new strategies are introduced, they don't like.

When adults have a poor attitude towards something it will definitely have an impact on the students.

That is the "what".

So you think it's wrong to tell parents that their children should learn how to write/make clear arguments, supported with commentary and evidence?

PS: You keep dodging the question as to which specific ELA standard shouldn't be taught in all schools. I suspect it's because you're unable to do so.
Kids education should be up to the parents and the parents alone. Obviously common core does not cut it...
Education should be just the basics, Common core is all about taking the education out of the parents hands. It’s a very deceptive program… To the uneducated.

That is the "what".

Kids education should be up to the parents and the parents alone. Obviously common core does not cut it...
Education should be just the basics, Common core is all about taking the education out of the parents hands. It’s a very deceptive program… To the uneducated.

How is Common Core deceptive?

Define "basics". Is it just reading and writing?

Just because you cannot figure it out doesn't make it wrong. It makes you a dumb ass!
Why take 10 steps to solve the problem when you can do it in a step And half with traditional math... lol

Because traditional math has taught us to memorize without explaining why and how. This is great for arithmetic skills but is bad for reasoning and critical thinking skills.

The fact that many of the folks here didn't know how to make 10 from 8+5 shows they lack simple mathematical reasoning skills. They were just taught to memorize 8+5 and not taught the properties of these numbers through partitioning.
Sounds like a copout

Its sounds like a cop out because you don't understand the new math strategies used. You've been taught math in a very rigid way( due to traditional math).

So it seems silly to you. But common core math actually teaches kids to look at numbers and sums in different ways instead of just memorizing facts.

Unfortunately many parents and teachers in America have a sucky attitude towards math in this country. So when new strategies are introduced, they don't like.

When adults have a poor attitude towards something it will definitely have an impact on the students.
New math is fine if the parents approve of it, But most parents do not approve of common core. So their kids should not be exposed to it whatsoever.
Federal government should have no influence/presence in a kids education

That is the "what".

How is Common Core deceptive?

Define "basics". Is it just reading and writing?
Because it takes the control of education out of the parents hands, Traditional math/education is not wrong, as common core tries to say.
Reading writing arithmetic... And keep social issues out of the kids education is the way it should be.

Sounds like a copout

It's teaching them the wrong way to solve simple arthimitic..why don't you get it?

8 toys plus 5 toys equals 13 toys not 10..

If you want to teach them critical thinking skills leave it out of basic arthimitic.

Sounds like a copout

New math is fine if the parents approve of it, But most parents do not approve of common core. So their kids should not be exposed to it whatsoever.

So children shouldn't be exposed to Math strategies that's going to help them with reasoning and critical thinking skills?

You want the government to allow you to keep your kids ignorant?

Sounds like a copout

So children shouldn't be exposed to Math strategies that's going to help them with reasoning and critical thinking skills?

You want the government to allow you to keep your kids ignorant?
Common core does not improve most kids education… The opposite is true. The collective does not know what’s best for the individual. fact

Forum List

Back