Big mouth Natalie Maines is back at it again !

^^^ Of course they are going to say otherwise. Anything to make it look like whatever damage that took place does not bother them and maybe it doesn't bother them, but if it really doesn't bother them, that may be the only form of credit that I can ever give them.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Ah - so you know better than what they themselves know, I see.

You're completely delusional.

^^^ If all of that is how they choose to look at their situation then its as clear as glass that any fall out that takes place does not matter to them.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Oh and if my choice to look at the whole picture instead of just some of it is what makes me delusional, then I couldn't be anymore proud to have such a status. :) :) :)

^^^ Well then she is lucky to have such good back up in the other two members, but not every situation is like this. How do you think that the other members of the Cosby show feel about Bill Cosby these days? Because of his controversy, what is most likely their most known for work is not on the TV anymore.

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly

There is no question Natalies mouth cost the sisters millions of dollars.
However, they are so wealthy and they will always have their live shows, they'll be fine.

"Millions"? :rofl: Again you demonstrate a profound ignorance of the music industry.

I'll tell you what it didn't cost though --- their integrity. Though there's no way to put a number on that, they could have sold out and capitulated.

But -- they didn't.

And that right there is the happy ending. :rock:

They didn't have to "sell out" as you put it, they simply could have done what most all other performers have always done, and separated her politics from her performance.
Simple really.

Like Ted Nugent?
Like Toby Keith?

There ain't nothing "political" about standing up for your state amid the obvious association, that being both the band and the President representing Texas. That's number one.

And number two is the elephant in the room. Exactly what part of the largest protest event in the history of the world, which is the environment they were sitting in at the time ----- don't you get?

And I would expect that Keith and Nugent are not exactly big sellers in the community of liberals, just as the Chicks are not big in conservative circles now.

And for the Chicks and their location at the time, yeah, I'm certain their hosts for the most part loved their comments, but again it didn't go over so well for them here.

This was not an issue of integrity, we don't require our performers to publicly take sides, and either denounce or applaud our leaders. No one was expecting the Chicks to publicly say anything other than to discuss their music.
Natalie cleared her concience, and hopefully she felt better afterwards, but it came with a price. The content of her words pissed off a lot of Americans, and many let their pocketbooks do their talking.

^^^ Well then she is lucky to have such good back up in the other two members, but not every situation is like this. How do you think that the other members of the Cosby show feel about Bill Cosby these days? Because of his controversy, what is most likely their most known for work is not on the TV anymore.

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly

However, they are so wealthy and they will always have their live shows, they'll be fine.

"Millions"? :rofl: Again you demonstrate a profound ignorance of the music industry.

I'll tell you what it didn't cost though --- their integrity. Though there's no way to put a number on that, they could have sold out and capitulated.

But -- they didn't.

They didn't have to "sell out" as you put it, they simply could have done what most all other performers have always done, and separated her politics from her performance.
Simple really.

Like Ted Nugent?
Like Toby Keith?

There ain't nothing "political" about standing up for your state amid the obvious association, that being both the band and the President representing Texas. That's number one.

And number two is the elephant in the room. Exactly what part of the largest protest event in the history of the world, which is the environment they were sitting in at the time ----- don't you get?

And I would expect that Keith and Nugent are not exactly big sellers in the community of liberals, just as the Chicks are not big in conservative circles now.

Ummmm.... didn't you just say keep the politics out? Now you want 'em back in again? Having it both ways: Priceless.

Doesn't work as analogy anyway. The analogy would be, did the establishment music/media industry then conspire to deprive Ted Nugent or Toby Keith of record sales? Show me that, and I'll be all over them defending the artists. Even poopy-pants.

And for the Chicks and their location at the time, yeah, I'm certain their hosts for the most part loved their comments, but again it didn't go over so well for them here.

And AGAIN, they said it there, to them, not here to us. Are we still unclear on the concepts of "here" and "there"? :disbelief:
Don't make me whip out another map on your ass.

The question I keep asking, and you keep valiantly running away from, is what the fuck business is it of ours to go scraping around the world to find things that if expressed here we would pretend to find "offensive"? How PC-fucked up IS that?

That's your cue, run away again.

This was not an issue of integrity, we don't require our performers to publicly take sides, and either denounce or applaud our leaders. No one was expecting the Chicks to publicly say anything other than to discuss their music.

Considering that three million Londoners had just protested in the streets about a war being mongered by a guy who ostentatiously associates specifically with Texas, and considering that same audience is watching a band comprised of three people who also ostentatiously associate specifically with Texas ---- yeah I'd say it was very much expected. That's exactly why I'm calling it "the elephant in the room". That's a phrase referring to an undercurrent that cannot be ignored. So Maines addressed it in an act of reassurance.

And you want to tell us she can't do that, huh?

In fact you could say that by representing Texas as a bunch of warmongers, Dubya was already infringing on the Chicks' business opportunities. They could sue.

I shoulda been an attorney.

But -- they didn't.

Simple really.

Like Ted Nugent?
Like Toby Keith?

Ummmm.... didn't you just say keep the politics out? Now you want 'em back in again? Having it both ways: Priceless.

Doesn't work as analogy anyway. The analogy would be, did the establishment music/media industry then conspire to deprive Ted Nugent or Toby Keith of record sales? Show me that, and I'll be all over them defending the artists. Even poopy-pants.

And AGAIN, they said it there, to them, not here to us. Are we still unclear on the concepts of "here" and "there"? :disbelief:
Don't make me whip out another map on your ass.

The question I keep asking, and you keep valiantly running away from, is what the fuck business is it of ours to go scraping around the world to find things that if expressed here we would pretend to find "offensive"? How PC-fucked up IS that?

That's your cue, run away again.

Considering that three million Londoners had just protested in the streets about a war being mongered by a guy who ostentatiously associates specifically with Texas, and considering that same audience is watching a band comprised of three people who also ostentatiously associate specifically with Texas ---- yeah I'd say it was very much expected. That's exactly why I'm calling it "the elephant in the room". That's a phrase referring to an undercurrent that cannot be ignored. So Maines addressed it in an act of reassurance.

And you want to tell us she can't do that, huh?

In fact you could say that by representing Texas as a bunch of warmongers, Dubya was already infringing on the Chicks' business opportunities. They could sue.

I shoulda been an attorney.

Do you have kids ? Hopefully not.

And yes, you should have been a lawyer. You're brilliant at arguing nonsense over and over and over.

If I'm so brilliant, how come you can't refute my points?

Guilty as charged. :thup:

Just don't make me wear wunna dem British wigs. You know, the "crime" being in London and all...

Discussing Toby Keith and Ted Nugent in the same conversation is laughable. Keith continues to have hit songs year after year. Nugent hasn't had one for decades. Kieth, like the Dixie Chicks, can fill the house at Madison Square Gardens. Nugent is lucky to get a big crowd at the State Fair, and most of those folks came for the rides and junk food anyway. Can you imagine people paying five hundred to a thousand dollars for front row seats to see ted the poopy pants draft dodging molester in concert?

Discussing Toby Keith and Ted Nugent in the same conversation is laughable. Keith continues to have hit songs year after year. Nugent hasn't had one for decades. Kieth, like the Dixie Chicks, can fill the house at Madison Square Gardens. Nugent is lucky to get a big crowd at the State Fair, and most of those folks came for the rides and junk food anyway. Can you imagine people paying five hundred to a thousand dollars for front row seats to see ted the poopy pants draft dodging molester in concert?

Nugent was a reach for that example but the point was to counter the previous poster's complaint to "keep politics out of the music". Obviously Keith, to single him out, didn't do that (and engaged in a public feud with the DCs over this very "issue"), and yet nobody saw the music/entertainment/media industry colluding to deprive Toby Keith of record sales and concert tickets.

Therefore the poster's point about keeping politics out of music shoots itself forty-seven times in the back, pausing only once to reload.

Nugent was a reach for that example but the point was to counter the previous poster's complaint to "keep politics out of the music". Obviously Keith, to single him out, didn't do that (and engaged in a public feud with the DCs over this very "issue"), and yet nobody saw the music/entertainment/media industry colluding to deprive Toby Keith of record sales and concert tickets.

Therefore the poster's point about keeping politics out of music shoots itself forty-seven times in the back, pausing only once to reload.
My music era was the 60's so the idea of keeping politics out of music or musicians away from politics is a weird and foreign concept to me.

My music era was the 60's so the idea of keeping politics out of music or musicians away from politics is a weird and foreign concept to me.

I know, right? The poster was trying to cherrypick.

As noted way back, if the year was 1968 and the war in question was Vietnam she could have said the exact same words and they'd be lauded by the same crowd as a heroine. Because after all, that's the other "team" ---- which is all the partisan blind can see.

And yes, you should have been a lawyer. You're brilliant at arguing nonsense over and over and over.

Just don't make me wear wunna dem British wigs. You know, the "crime" being in London and all...

What points ? You have none.

Natalie spouted off, which in turn angered millions of Americans, the Chicks then lost a good deal of their fan base.
That's the story.

Yes, I don't know why Pogo would bring them up together.
As you say Toby Keith continues to sell product big time, and Nugent has been a has been for many years.

As I mentioned however, I doubt he sells in liberal circles since he has spoken out not only against the Chicks, but has had some pro-war music.
For that reason, he like Nugent probably doesn't sell much to you and your fellow libs.

Discussing Toby Keith and the Dixie Chicks in the same conversation is laughable. Keith continues to have hit songs year after year, the Dixie Chicks haven't had one in decades.

What points ? You have none.

Natalie spouted off, which in turn angered millions of Americans, the Chicks then lost a good deal of their fan base.
That's the story.
Oh, there is much more to the story than that. There is this wonderful story about putting friendship and loyalty before monetary gain, the courage of standing up for one's beliefs, the David and Goliath comparisons, the turtle and hare comparisons and the simple story of resilience in the face of disaster and crisis. All topped with a happy ending, which is the inspiration for the topic of them going on a tour this summer.
If the Chicks story is just one about making hundreds of millions of dollars for stuffing into banks, they lost big time, but if it is about more to life than those hundreds of millions, the Chicks are visions of success. They had to settle for tens of millions and integrity.

Forum List

Back