Big mouth Natalie Maines is back at it again !

Why did we go to war in Iraq ?

Struggling to remember.

Rumsfeld said it had "better targets" than where Al Qaeda actually was.

Kinda like calling in to your boss and saying, "I'm not at work today because I decided to drive to Kentucky because it has better scenery".

:rolleyes:
We were told that they had WMDs that would be launched in 5 seconds. A lot of youngsters died for some oil.

And the media machine worked overtime to sell us that malarkey. The rest of the world wasn't buying, and staged the largest protest event in the history of Earth, literally, in February 2003 across 600 cities around the world. London was one of those cities, and the Dixie Chicks were there for the period between the protest and the show, so there is no question it was the current buzz in the air at the time. It was the elephant in the room.

And here on stage in the midst of that elephant were three girls obviously from Texas, from the nation whose President was leading the charge to that war, also obviously from Texas, so the question of association dripping in the air was exactly what Natalie Maines addressed. That's exactly what "just so you know, we're on the good side with y'all" refers to -- the elephant in the room. Breaking the tension in the air with a reassurance that "we're not your enemies -- Texans aren't all like that".

Oh the horror. How dare they stand up for Texas.

/sarc

Free speech doesn't have a "price".
Because everyone has the right to put their feelings out there, free speech can have a price. If enough people do not like whatever it is that you put out there, don't expect as much success then. When the controversy surrounding this group first got going, so many of their shows were cancelled because way too many people weren't interested enough in seeing them anymore. If that isn't a price, I don't know what is.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

The views of performers are no more relevant than anybody else. Having said that isnt it great that someone from inside the cosseted bubble is brave enough to speak out ? Good on her.

The Iraq war has already been shown to be a con job that made the world a far more dangerous place. Some of us still cling to hope that Blair will stand trial one day.

The Dixie Chicks music is shit as well.

Free speech doesn't have a "price".
Because everyone has the right to put their feelings out there, free speech can have a price. If enough people do not like whatever it is that you put out there, don't expect as much success then. When the controversy surrounding this group first got going, so many of their shows were cancelled because way too many people weren't interested enough in seeing them anymore. If that isn't a price, I don't know what is.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Once again for the oblivious:

FREE speech has no PRICE. They're OPPOSITES.

If I give you something for FREE, I don't expect you to PAY me. If there's a PRICE ---- then it's not FREE.

Can't have it both ways.

^^^ Well that right there is just it. If people do not like what it is that you put out there for free, then you are most definitely not going to get anything out of them people in return which leads me to these questions, what is that girl's intention when saying or doing anything? How successful does she want to be in this life? Judging by her choice of words and actions, obviously not as successful as she she would be if she were to put a lid on her mouth, but if this is how she wants her life to be, then oh well. To me, what makes the situation worse is the fact that her choices had an impact on the other two members of the group. I hate when people are impacted in a negative way because of something that they had absolutely nothing to do with.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. What you and her do not seem to get is that because we all have the same rights, choices can have consequences.

Last edited:
^^^ Well that right there is just it. If people do not like what it is that you put out there for free, then you are most definitely not going to get anything out of them people in return which leads me to these questions, what is that girl's intention when saying or doing anything? How successful does she want to be in this life? Judging by her choice of words and actions, obviously not as successful as she she would be if she were to put a lid on her mouth, but if this is how she wants her life to be, then oh well. To me, what makes the situation worse is the fact that her choices had an impact on the other two members of the group. I hate when people are impacted in a negative way because of something that they had absolutely nothing to do with.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. What you and her do not seem to get is that because we all have the same rights, choices can have consequences.

Nobody else in the group has ever objected. If they had, Natalie Maines wouldn't still be in the group thirteen years later.

^^^ Well then she is lucky to have such good back up in the other two members, but not every situation is like this. How do you think that the other members of the Cosby show feel about Bill Cosby these days? Because of his controversy, what is most likely their most known for work is not on the TV anymore.

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly

none of us are saying Natalie wasn't free to speak her mind. We are simply saying that there can be push back for doing so.

Where the fuck do you get off dictating "push back" for what somebody else says to somebody other-else about their own state? In a whole different fucking country?

Remember how you couldn't explain your whole "comfort to the enemy" canard? This is another one of those.

See, this is why I don't bother with your dumb-shit posts. They're made of intellectual cheeze whiz.

I'm not "dictating" anything. I'm simply pointing out that her words angered millions of Americans, and due to that, she and the Chicks paid a price. Story over.

Free speech doesn't have a "price". Nor was she addressing "millions of Americans" --- or any Americans at all. This was in London, which is in Europe. And the word "y'all" refers to that audience ---- the people sitting directly in front of them. There is no way in the English language that "y'all" --- pointed at the people standing in front of you ---- can mean "those people back there across the ocean on another continent". Cannot be done, period. And the subject of the sentence is "we" -- the three people in the band. NEITHER END of that involves anyone here.

Again you have YET to explain to us how we over here on another continent ..... have any say in what three people standing on a stage in freaking England have to say about their own state. How in the wide world of fuck is that any of your business? Aye, there's the rub.

Moreover, the "price" they "paid" was if anything dealing with a lot more adulation. The comment got wild cheers when she laid it out (because it affirmed what the audience already felt) and wilder cheers when she came back to the same venue three years later and repeated it -- as already posted a couple of times. Again, that being the audience she was actually addressing --- not a gaggle of busybody corporate clowns over the ocean who decided to start institutionally whining about a comment that didn't even involve them in the fucking first place.

You'll notice by 2006, when the same comment was repeated and the institutional mood in this country on Shrub had drastically changed (i.e. finally caught up with the rest of the world), the reaction here was ------- dead silence. Same comment, and ...... nothing. And you want me to believe the corporate institution isn't leading the unwashed around by the nose? Poster please.

What you're looking for is the rhetorical equivalent of a poll tax. Or perhaps more accurately what you're going for is the same thing as "here is your ballot--- vote for dear leader Dim Dong or you will be shot". You want "political PC".

Well fuck the fuck that.

Hey Peugot, why don't you tell us one more time she was in London. :lol:

^^^ Well then she is lucky to have such good back up in the other two members, but not every situation is like this. How do you think that the other members of the Cosby show feel about Bill Cosby these days? Because of his controversy, what is most likely their most known for work is not on the TV anymore.

Holly

Cosby didn't say anything, and is not any part of this. Point being, the other DC band members are with her, not agin' her, so your latest fantasy of intraband dissent is just more fantasy. What they did is circle the wagons, because they, unlike you, know an attack on free speech when they see it.

All these fantasy scenaria you come up with are desperation tactics to make the corporate line work. But it doesn't work. It has no justification. That's why they don't work. You're on the wrong side here.

Holly

There is no question Natalies mouth cost the sisters millions of dollars.
However, they are so wealthy and they will always have their live shows, they'll be fine.

none of us are saying Natalie wasn't free to speak her mind. We are simply saying that there can be push back for doing so.

Where the fuck do you get off dictating "push back" for what somebody else says to somebody other-else about their own state? In a whole different fucking country?

Remember how you couldn't explain your whole "comfort to the enemy" canard? This is another one of those.

See, this is why I don't bother with your dumb-shit posts. They're made of intellectual cheeze whiz.

I'm not "dictating" anything. I'm simply pointing out that her words angered millions of Americans, and due to that, she and the Chicks paid a price. Story over.

Free speech doesn't have a "price". Nor was she addressing "millions of Americans" --- or any Americans at all. This was in London, which is in Europe. And the word "y'all" refers to that audience ---- the people sitting directly in front of them. There is no way in the English language that "y'all" --- pointed at the people standing in front of you ---- can mean "those people back there across the ocean on another continent". Cannot be done, period. And the subject of the sentence is "we" -- the three people in the band. NEITHER END of that involves anyone here.

Again you have YET to explain to us how we over here on another continent ..... have any say in what three people standing on a stage in freaking England have to say about their own state. How in the wide world of fuck is that any of your business? Aye, there's the rub.

Moreover, the "price" they "paid" was if anything dealing with a lot more adulation. The comment got wild cheers when she laid it out (because it affirmed what the audience already felt) and wilder cheers when she came back to the same venue three years later and repeated it -- as already posted a couple of times. Again, that being the audience she was actually addressing --- not a gaggle of busybody corporate clowns over the ocean who decided to start institutionally whining about a comment that didn't even involve them in the fucking first place.

You'll notice by 2006, when the same comment was repeated and the institutional mood in this country on Shrub had drastically changed (i.e. finally caught up with the rest of the world), the reaction here was ------- dead silence. Same comment, and ...... nothing. And you want me to believe the corporate institution isn't leading the unwashed around by the nose? Poster please.

What you're looking for is the rhetorical equivalent of a poll tax. Or perhaps more accurately what you're going for is the same thing as "here is your ballot--- vote for dear leader Dim Dong or you will be shot". You want "political PC".

Well fuck the fuck that.

Fatter o' mact they were all in London. And that inconvenient fact ain't never going away.

"Peugeot" --- I like it. :thup:

Holly

However, they are so wealthy and they will always have their live shows, they'll be fine.

"Millions"? :rofl: Again you demonstrate a profound ignorance of the music industry.

I'll tell you what it didn't cost though --- their integrity. Though there's no way to put a number on that, they could have sold out and capitulated.

But -- they didn't.

And that right there is the happy ending. :rock:

Well fuck the fuck that.

Fatter o' mact they were all in London. And that inconvenient fact ain't never going away.

"Peugeot" --- I like it. :thup:

Were you under the impression that we were unaware she was in the U.K when she spewed ?

Holly

Cosby didn't say anything, and is not any part of this. Point being, the other DC band members are with her, not agin' her, so your latest fantasy of intraband dissent is just more fantasy. What they did is circle the wagons, because they, unlike you, know an attack on free speech when they see it.

All these fantasy scenaria you come up with are desperation tactics to make the corporate line work. But it doesn't work. It has no justification. That's why they don't work. You're on the wrong side here.
I know that Cosby isn't a part of this. I was using his situation as an example, nothing more and what I have shared about the Chicks are not fantasies. They really did take place whether you believe that they did or not.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. As long as you do not realize that choices have consequences, then you are always going to be the one who is really on the wrong side here.

Holly

"Millions"? :rofl: Again you demonstrate a profound ignorance of the music industry.

I'll tell you what it didn't cost though --- their integrity. Though there's no way to put a number on that, they could have sold out and capitulated.

But -- they didn't.

They didn't have to "sell out" as you put it, they simply could have done what most all other performers have always done, and separated her politics from her performance.
Simple really.

Holly

I know that Cosby isn't a part of this. I was using his situation as an example, nothing more and what I have shared about the Chicks are not fantasies. They really did take place whether you believe that they did or not.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. As long as you do not realize that choices have consequences, they you are always going to be the one who is really on the wrong side.

Actually I already KNOW that did not take place. I've heard them talk about it. In fact "circle the wagons" is Emily's term.

Holly

But -- they didn't.

They didn't have to "sell out" as you put it, they simply could have done what most all other performers have always done, and separated her politics from her performance.
Simple really.

Like Ted Nugent?
Like Toby Keith?

There ain't nothing "political" about standing up for your state amid the obvious association, that being both the band and the President representing Texas. That's number one.

And number two is the elephant in the room. Exactly what part of the largest protest event in the history of the world, which is the environment they were sitting in at the time ----- don't you get?

^^^ Of course they are going to say otherwise. Anything to make it look like whatever damage that took place does not bother them and maybe it doesn't bother them, but if it really doesn't bother them, that may be the only form of credit that I can ever give them.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back