Bill Maher Slams Berkeley for Canceling Ann Coulter Speech: ‘Liberals’ Version of Book Burning’

I don't like Mahr, but I give him credit for this one:

“Berkeley used to be the cradle of free speech, and now it’s just the cradle for f—ing babies,” Maher said. “I feel like this goes on all over the country on campuses — they invite somebody to speak that’s not exactly what liberals want to hear and they want to shut her down. I feel like this is the liberals’ version of book burning. And it’s got to stop.”

Bill Maher Slams Berkeley for Canceling Ann Coulter Speech: ‘Liberals’ Version of Book Burning’

I think Bill is confused as to what the First Amendment means.

The first Amendment gives everyone the right to say what they want. It does not promise them a forum.

If the campus community as a whole doesn't want to hear Coulter's nasty racist bile, then they have every right to bar her, just as all the newspapers who stopped carrying her column after she mocked 9/11 widows had ever right to do that.

Considering Berkeley is a Public University, they have no such "right".

Once again JoeBlow comes out in favor of Mob Rule.

What a disgusting human being you are.

Bill Maher is a clown and always will be. Freedom of speech doesn't apply to private places and institutions. People have a right to allow or deny someone the forum to speak.

A Christian university wouldn't have someone like Sam Harris speaking or someone like Bill Maher.

Berkeley is a liberal university. Ann Coulter has said lots of shady and bigoted things in the past. They have a right to deny her.

Majority of Berkeley students don't even want to see her.

Berkeley is a Public University, you ignorant fascist twat.

That's where you're wrong. Those school receive government monies so by extension they represent the government. When they invite someone to speak, then prevent that speech they are violating the First Amendment. They are PUBLIC institutions.

Not really. The government is contracting them for a service... that service being to provide education for students or conduct research. That does not require them to provide a forum for anyone...

If a student group invites a guest to speak and the school agrees to the contract the school and the speaker, they are contractually obliged to provide a forum. Which is what was done between Berkley and Ann Coulter. They are also obliged to provide adequate security for said forum. Berkley is in breach of contract if they later refuse her a forum.

Berkley, itself, is not in violation of the First Amendment unless they are trying to stifle Ann and prevent their students from hearing her speak, which doesn't appear to be the case. Berkley tried to arbitrarily set another date for her to speak, but they scheduled it when nobody was in school (sound kind of fishy to me).

The next question would be: Is Berkley's refusal to supply adequate security for Ann come from not wanting her to speak, or fear and cowardice in the face of Fascists/Anarchists threats of violence?

(Yes, I've altered my opinion on this issue.)

You must be fucking joking. Of course Berkeley is trying to stifle Coulter. Only a complete moron would deny it.

Coulter's books are in the Berkeley library. Coulter has a website that any Berkeley student can read. Coulter is regularly on tv shows that any Berkeley student can watch.

So? Berkeley is trying to prevent her from giving a speech on campus.

Who do you think you're fooling?

Except there are schools all over urban areas that enforce a dress code to maintain order

Not allowing anne coulter on campus isn't anywhere nearly as "fascist" or "authoritarian" as enforcing a dress code.

Schools are not bastions of freedom of speech, they never have been. You wouldn't invite a white or black supremacist speak to the campus. If you can draw the line there you can draw it anywhere. Nothing has substantively changed.

edit - and maher is a fuckwit zionist the world would be better without, fucking repulsive

Except there are schools all over urban areas that enforce a dress code to maintain order

Not allowing anne coulter on campus isn't anywhere nearly as "fascist" or "authoritarian" as enforcing a dress code.

Schools are not bastions of freedom of speech, they never have been. You wouldn't invite a white or black supremacist speak to the campus. If you can draw the line there you can draw it anywhere. Nothing has substantively changed.

edit - and maher is a fuckwit zionist the world would be better without, fucking repulsive

There is a difference between a grade/high school, and a public or even private university.

There is a difference between a grade/high school, and a public or even private university.

No there really isn't

Colleges have had dress codes and decided who would speak forever, same as a high school.

And a private school can do whatever they want excluding their funding.

Public schools are the relevant discussion here

Again all these lines have always existed, not liking* where that line falls in 2017 on a specific campus is not a substantive critique.

If I can draw the line at white supremacists, there is no reason I can't shift it over to communists or anne coulter

No there really isn't

Colleges have had dress codes and decided who would speak forever, same as a high school.

Again all these lines have always existed, not liking* where that line falls in 2017 on a specific campus is not a substantive critique.

If I can draw the line at white supremacists, there is no reason I can't shift it over to communists or anne coulter

How many colleges still have a dress code that isn't 1)easy to follow or 2)not part of some military program at said college?

Restricting speeches by invited speakers is not even closely related to dress codes.

No there really isn't

How many colleges still have a dress code that isn't 1)easy to follow or 2)not part of some military program at said college?

Restricting speeches by invited speakers is not even closely related to dress codes.

how many colleges would let a female with her tits otu next to me in class?

None

That's my general point here, there is a line, they reserve the right to set that line.

Any freedoms you have you should be thankful for, they're not rights on campus

Bernie Sanders RIPS Millennials Trying To Shut Up Ann Coulter

The 2016 presidential candidate shamed the millennials trying to shut up Coulter further, explaining that this was "a sign of intellectual weakness."

"To me, it’s a sign of intellectual weakness," he stated. "If you can’t ask Ann Coulter in a polite way questions which expose the weakness of her arguments, if all you can do is boo, or shut her down, or prevent her from coming, what does that tell the world?"

No there really isn't

None

That's my general point here, there is a line, they reserve the right to set that line.

As a public university they cannot set that line based on the content of the speech. A campus group invited her, the administration has no right to block it based on the content.

No there really isn't

None

As a public university they cannot set that line based on the content of the speech. A campus group invited her, the administration has no right to block it based on the content.

Again yes they can

I've demolished your point, it's time to stop now

THey can stop a white surpemacist from coming (they stopped coulter idk what makes you think they don't stop all sorts of people)

WHy couldn't they stop coulter?

And campuses have always been able to do this, nothing has changed.

You're just wrong, accept it and stop responding.

No there really isn't

Bob Jones, the ultimate conservative university, has a rule against unmarried students having any physical contact on campus.

Physical Contact

On and off campus, physical contact between unmarried men and women is not allowed.

http://www.bju.edu/life-faith/student-handbook.pdf

No there really isn't

None

Again yes they can

THey can stop a white surpemacist from coming (they stopped coulter idk what makes you think they don't stop all sorts of people)

A public university can't do it, at least constitutionally. They are bound by content neutrality, just like any other government organization.

I don't like Mahr, but I give him credit for this one:

“Berkeley used to be the cradle of free speech, and now it’s just the cradle for f—ing babies,” Maher said. “I feel like this goes on all over the country on campuses — they invite somebody to speak that’s not exactly what liberals want to hear and they want to shut her down. I feel like this is the liberals’ version of book burning. And it’s got to stop.”

I think Bill is confused as to what the First Amendment means.

The first Amendment gives everyone the right to say what they want. It does not promise them a forum.

If the campus community as a whole doesn't want to hear Coulter's nasty racist bile, then they have every right to bar her, just as all the newspapers who stopped carrying her column after she mocked 9/11 widows had ever right to do that.
so those who do wish to listen to her are just fked cause someone says so? They all pay the same tution? it's called fking equality. Why is it now libturds hate people being treated equal?

No there really isn't

None

So a student group at a public HS cannot be denied the right to invite a stripper to perform?

No there really isn't

Bob Jones, the ultimate conservative university, has a rule against unmarried students having any physical contact on campus.

Physical Contact

On and off campus, physical contact between unmarried men and women is not allowed.

http://www.bju.edu/life-faith/student-handbook.pdf

Are they a private university? You know the rules are different for them, right?

No there really isn't

None

So a student group at a public HS cannot be denied the right to invite a stripper to perform?

Why are you going to the high school level as an example?

I know why, because you know colleges HAVE invited strippers to things like this.

No there really isn't

None

Again yes they can

A public university can't do it, at least constitutionally. They are bound by content neutrality, just like any other government organization.

Can you cite the court case that decided that? Maybe there is one.

No there really isn't

None

Again yes they can

The realities of "content neutrality" leave them more than enough room to get rid of whoever they want

Broadcasters have the same obligation, or used to. They still had editorial discretion

Edit - he's bullshitting, fuck off marty

Forum List

Back