Bill Maher Slams Berkeley for Canceling Ann Coulter Speech: ‘Liberals’ Version of Book Burning’

Bill Maher is a clown and always will be. Freedom of speech doesn't apply to private places and institutions. People have a right to allow or deny someone the forum to speak.

A Christian university wouldn't have someone like Sam Harris speaking or someone like Bill Maher.

Berkeley is a liberal university. Ann Coulter has said lots of shady and bigoted things in the past. They have a right to deny her.

Majority of Berkeley students don't even want to see her.
We don't have to be like them. The reason a right wing Christian university doesn't want liberals there is because they can't take competing ideas. We can.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/texasgop_pre/assets/original/2012Platform_Final.pdf

We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.
Republican Party Platform of Texas

See what I mean?

I don't like Mahr, but I give him credit for this one:

“Berkeley used to be the cradle of free speech, and now it’s just the cradle for f—ing babies,” Maher said. “I feel like this goes on all over the country on campuses — they invite somebody to speak that’s not exactly what liberals want to hear and they want to shut her down. I feel like this is the liberals’ version of book burning. And it’s got to stop.”

Bill Maher Slams Berkeley for Canceling Ann Coulter Speech: ‘Liberals’ Version of Book Burning’
He's right on this one. No doubt about it.
This issue has done a remarkable job of shining the light on those who truly aren't in favor of freedom of expression.

Not coincidentally, they're the same people who hate this country's history and traditions, too. Why not its most core value?

I don't like Coulter, but freedom of expression is more important than any of this.

“Berkeley used to be the cradle of free speech, and now it’s just the cradle for f—ing babies,” Maher said. “I feel like this goes on all over the country on campuses — they invite somebody to speak that’s not exactly what liberals want to hear and they want to shut her down. I feel like this is the liberals’ version of book burning. And it’s got to stop.”

This issue has done a remarkable job of shining the light on those who truly aren't in favor of freedom of expression.

Not coincidentally, they're the same people who hate this country's history and traditions, too. Why not its most core value?

I don't like Coulter, but freedom of expression is more important than any of this.
No, they are a bunch of college kids. College kids don't speak for a majority of Democrats. Bernie Sanders proved that.

Republicans are against free speech. They are only for it when they want to say racist things or when they want to incite people towards violence or spread lies and propaganda.

That's why they are desperate to shut people up about Trump.

NO, it really isn't.

Now, if someone locked up Coulter for being a total Cword and smacked her around, you might have a point.

An institution saying, "We don't want you here", not so much.

The first Amendment doesn't promise you a forum.

No, they are a bunch of college kids. College kids don't speak for a majority of Democrats. Bernie Sanders proved that.

Republicans are against free speech. They are only for it when they want to say racist things or when they want to incite people towards violence or spread lies and propaganda.

That's why they are desperate to shut people up about Trump.
The kids aren't the problem. They're kids.

It's the adults who enable them and spin for them and deflect for them.

Adults should know better, unless they'll just admit they're not really for freedom of expression.

The kids aren't the problem. They're kids.

It's the adults who enable them and spin for them and deflect for them.

Adults should know better, unless they'll just admit they're not really for freedom of expression.

Or they realize the university has better things to do with their resources than protecting Coulter....

frankly, if I were spending $42,000 a year to send a kid to Berkeley, I wouldn't want to see them spend money to protect a right wing internet troll from as ass-beating.

"I may disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.

"Unless, of course, it challenges me or bothers me or inconveniences me or (most of all) threatens my hardcore partisan ideology, in which case I will do everything in my power to shout you down, shut you down, punish you, intimidate you and threaten you, and I'm not even above using our young people to do it, fuck their young, impressionable, open minds."

It's in the Constitution. You can look it up.

Just replying to your inane tripe, bitch-tits.

So you are babbling, then. Do you suffer from a form of OCD?

"I may disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.

"Unless, of course, it challenges me or bothers me or inconveniences me or (most of all) threatens my hardcore partisan ideology, in which case I will do everything in my power to shout you down, shut you down, punish you, intimidate you and threaten you, and I'm not even above using our young people to do it, fuck their young, impressionable, open minds."

Mac, your Plutocratic masters have no problem sending our young people off to fight wars to keep oil flowing... but you think they don't have the ability to determine what kind of Nazi tripe they don't want in their community?

Interesting.

Give the kids some credit. They aren't the ones who messed this country up.. We old people did that.

Just replying to your inane tripe, bitch-tits.

So you are babbling, then. Do you suffer from a form of OCD?

Mac, your Plutocratic masters have no problem sending our young people off to fight wars to keep oil flowing... but you think they don't have the ability to determine what kind of Nazi tripe they don't want in their community?

Interesting.

Give the kids some credit. They aren't the ones who messed this country up.. We old people did that.

No, I just refuse to let idiots like you have the last word, at least until i get bored with it.

No, I just refuse to let idiots like you have the last word, at least until i get bored with it.
62784475.jpg

NO, it really isn't.

Now, if someone locked up Coulter for being a total Cword and smacked her around, you might have a point.

That's not what happened here and you've revealed yourself (again) as a liar for making this claim.

NO, it really isn't.

That's not what happened here and you've revealed yourself (again) as a liar for making this claim.
They don't care. Freedom of expression is a threat to them. Like garlic.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back