Bill Walton has died of cancer

What a treasure
When he he did byu games he was fantastic about provo

I didn’t know he was sick. I always enjoyed his commentaries on basketball games. My brother went to UCLA and said when Lou Alcindor (Jabbar) was a senior that there was a freshman that may be better than Alcindor, Bill Walton. That year, freshman were still not able to play varsity. They had Jr. Variety leagues.
In my opinion, had they not tried to fix his feet, he would have been about the greatest center of all time in every facet of the game. Wilt still being the greatest. But better all around than Jabbar.

A great guy to listen to. Great stories and a naturally funny guy when it was appropriate. He knew when to be serious about the game and when some lighthearted banter was appropriate. Too bad his pro career was injury filled.

I honestly mostly found Walton to be annoying during his calling of NBA games, but he seemed to be a good guy and it’s sad his life was cut a bit short due to that Illness.

As for his career, he’s the poster boy for a guy who was given benefit of the doubt of what he could have been vs. what he actually accomplished. It’s true that the eyeball test puts Walton better than his numbers, but I still think he’s generally overrated for his career, but that usually happens to guys who are media sweethearts. He had an elite game.

He and Kareem are the greatest college players of all time though. No question

Last edited:
I lived in the Portland area when the Red Hot and Rollin Blazers won the NBA Championship and Walton was so much fun to watch, his rebounding , his outlet passes to Gross, Twardzik and Hollins were passes of beauty. The year after the Blazers played Auerbach fastbreak basketball and were 48-8 at the all Star break when Walton was injured and the season was pretty much over.

The best passing center I ever saw.

Yes. Imagine the last few weeks of Caitlin Clark's hype this year.

Then realize the Kareem and Bill had it in their frosh and three-year varsity careers, each. Four years non-stop of that growing hype.

When Lew Alcindor (Kareem) was a Freshman he was not allowed on the varsity team.
Playing on the Freshman team, he beat the UCLA varsity that had won the NCAA championship the year before.

I cannot believe he is gone! I still remember him at UCLA and at Portland in 1977. Alright, I'm going to say it, Bill Walton was the best passing big man of all time.

He will definitely be missed.
Chamberlain was as good. His first six years he averaged more than 40 points a game. He handed out 8.6 assist one year.

Last edited:
I cannot believe he is gone! I still remember him at UCLA and at Portland in 1977. Alright, I'm going to say it, Bill Walton was the best passing big man of all time.

He will definitely be missed.
He did Gonzaga games for ESPN sand loved his commentary and he was the best passing center of all time, to watch him at the top of the key flip a pass to a cutting Twardzik was beautiful

Bill was an all time great and maybe the best College player ever. His career was shortened by injuries.

He was a great Basketball analyst and could tell amazing stories
he would pretend he didn't know his co announcers names. "your names' david, right."

Forum List

Back