Bill would require all SD citizens to buy a gun

If you don't like Government Health Care then you can't like this law either.

Governments shouldn't mandate anything!

I agree with you.

Fuck speed laws.

Fuck safety.

Fuck clean air and clean water.

Fuck safe food.

Fuck bridge and road inspection.

I will do what I want, when I want. That's the America I want to live in!!!!

I love it when I can use a stupid post you make to prove you are wrong.

Many traffic safety groups such as the Governors Highway Safety Association argue that such comparisons don't accurately reflect how safe a state's roads are. A better measure, they say, is whether states have enacted proven safety enhancements such as motorcycle helmet laws and primary seat belt laws, which allow police to stop motorists solely for being unbuckled. [...]​
Judith Stone, president of Washington, D.C.-based Advocates for Auto and Highway Safety, says the group does not consider fatalities when issuing its annual report card on states. "We look at laws and whether they've been passed," Stone says.​
Advocates of stronger laws say it's difficult to persuade a state such as New Hampshire, which has no seat belt or motorcycle helmet laws, to enact such rules when its death rate is below the U.S. average. "States like ... New Hampshire could certainly save more lives by passing stronger laws," says governors safety association spokesman Jonathan Adkins. "Legislators note these states have relatively low fatality rates and tend not to see the benefit in passing stronger laws."​
Governors Highway Safety Association: Deaths Don't Matter, Only Safety Regs - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

See, truth does not matter, nor does the fact that roads are actually safer without laws, the only thing that keeps us safe is laws.

Last edited:
So you agree that you are wrong and that I am right. Thank you.
You may not provide the cite(s) I asked for.

No I agree that you are a fucking idiot who is playing semantics. It in effect grants you rights
No. To anyone with even a child's grasp of the language, it does no such thing.

The rights pre-exist the formation of government. The amendments protect those rights from action against them by the government. There's no grant of the rights in any way shape or form.

Not sure where you went to school - but you need to look into getting your money back.

Still waiting for that cite.

LOL like I said Semantics. You are playing a silly little game of Semantics. The End result is the same, Granted or Guaranteed, The end result is you have rights.

Apparently your grasp of the English Language is not all that great either, or do you not under stand what it means when someone says. "In effect"

Just so you know that means I am acknowledging that it does not specifically grant you rights, but "in effect" the end result is the same.

Juvenile.

Last edited:
LOL like I said Semantics. You are playing a silly little game of Semantics. The End result is the same, Granted or Guaranteed, The end result is you have rights.
I'm sorry - your statement is wrong. Nothing you can do or say will change that.

As such, it is impossible for you to back up your claim and cite the case that says what you said it does.

So... you don't have a leg to stand on. That's YOUR fault, not mine.
Grow up, end this petulance, admit your mistake, learn from it and move on.

Last edited:
I find it somewhat amusing that the people who so totally hate the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT and its nanny-statism, are more than happy to give that same kind of power to the state governments (or even more incomprensibly, to corporations!)

And still they claim that they love freedom above all other things.

What's more, disagree with their goofy notions and the first thing they'll tell us is that you hate freedom.

Such circular dislogical thinking in impenetrable to reason.

Last edited:
The necessary and proper clause is not a grant of power to do whatever you want.
That is true, but the SCOUS has already decided that compulsory vaccination did not deprive a citizen of liberty granted by the United States Constitution.
Oh WOW. Where to begin?
1: Cite?
2: Not a -single- liberty is granted to a single person by the US constitution.
Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11, 49 L.Ed. 643, 25 Sup. Ct. 358

That is true, but the SCOUS has already decided that compulsory vaccination did not deprive a citizen of liberty granted by the United States Constitution.
Oh WOW. Where to begin?

Yes - the court upheld the authority of states to pass compulsory vaccination laws.
-This has nothing to do wuth the FEDERAL power to compell vaccinations, the issue at hand
-This is no way says anything about rights granted by the US constitution

Verdict: Fail.

I find it somewhat amusing that the people who so totally hate the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT and its nanny-statism, are more than happy to give that same kind of power to the state governments (or even more incomprensibly, to corporations!)
If you believe that the government has the power to compel people to buy health insurance, then you have no way to argue that the government does not have the power to compel people to buy a gun.
Its really that simple.

If you believe that the government has the power to compel people to buy health insurance, then you have no way to argue that the government does not have the power to compel people to buy a gun.
Its really that simple.

I think a lot of people here are comparing this bill to Obamacare erroneously, although IMO both are unconstititional. However, they are unconstitutional for different reasons, again IMO.

This bill is an obvious 2nd Amendment violation and is therefore unconstitutional. Case closed.

So far, I've not heard much opposition to Obamacare suggesting that it's a violation of the Bill of Rights to mandate the purchase of insurance. If that were the case, many similar mandates at the state level would also be a violation. The unconstitutionality of Obamacare would stem from the fact that the federal government is overstepping the authority granted to it by the Constitution. That is different than saying it's a BoR violation. And if the USSC court rules against Obamacare on this basis, it wouldn't mean that similar mandates at the state level are also unconstitutional.

Oh WOW. Where to begin?

Yes - the court upheld the authority of states to pass compulsory vaccination laws.
-This has nothing to do wuth the FEDERAL power to compell vaccinations, the issue at hand

The decision did not say that ONLY the state could compel vaccinations, it said compulsory vaccinations did not violate the Constitution of the US. So if compulsory vaccinations are Constitutional, why can't the federal government require them?

The decision did not say that ONLY the state could compel vaccinations, it said compulsory vaccinations BY A STATE did not violate the Constitution of the US.

See corrected, in bold.
That a state can do so and not violate the US constitution in no way illustrates that the federal government has the power to make such compulsions.
:shrug:

Bill would require all S.D. citizens to buy a gun
Five South Dakota lawmakers have introduced legislation that would require any adult 21 or older to buy a firearm “sufficient to provide for their ordinary self-defense.”
Bill would require all S.D. citizens to buy a gun | The Argus Leader | argusleader.com

:clap2:

Good for the goose, good for the gander.

Its really that simple.
Except it's the authors of the bill who are falsely arguing that the government does not have the power to compel people to buy a gun. They have as much power to compel people to buy a gun as they have to compel people to get vaccinated!!!

From your own link in your OP:

The measure is known as an act “to provide for an individual mandate to adult citizens to provide for the self defense of themselves and others.”

Rep. Hal Wick, R-Sioux Falls, is sponsoring the bill and knows it will be killed. But he said he is introducing it to prove a point that the federal health care reform mandate passed last year is unconstitutional.

“Do I or the other cosponsors believe that the State of South Dakota can require citizens to buy firearms? Of course not. But at the same time, we do not believe the federal government can order every citizen to buy health insurance,” he said.

The decision did not say that ONLY the state could compel vaccinations, it said compulsory vaccinations BY A STATE did not violate the Constitution of the US.

See corrected, in bold.
That a state can do so and not violate the US constitution in no way illustrates that the federal government has the power to make such compulsions.
You do know it is a violation of the rules of this messageboard to alter a poster's posts, don't you?
Nowhere in the ruling was it said it was Constitutional ONLY because it was a state law. SCOTUS ruled that compulsory vaccination did not deprive a citizen of liberty granted by the United States Constitution. That certainly seems broad enough to include the federal government too!

See corrected, in bold.
You do know it is a violation of the rules of this messageboard to alter a poster's posts, don't you?
Yes, I know I'm right. Thank you, but you didn't need to tell me.

Nowhere in the ruling was it said it was Constitutional ONLY because it was a state law. SCOTUS ruled that compulsory vaccination did not deprive a citizen of liberty granted by the United States Constitution.
That certainly seems broad enough to include the federal government too!
Thank you for putting your lack of education on display for all of us to see.

First, you continue to be wrong - no rights are provided to the people by the US constituion.
You are apparently happy to be wrong about this, and you enjoy chosing to be wrong.

Now then...
A state's powers are granted to it by its constitution.
The question in the case whas not the power granted to the state but if that power violated any rights protected by the US constitution. The court decided that this power did not violate any of the rights protected by the US constitution.

This in no way indicates that the US constitution gives a similar power to the US government, and as such, in no way supports the idea that the Federal government can create such compulsions; the case did not have anything to do with an action of the federal government and so cannot be used to argue that the federal government has any such power.

So.. your cite means nothing, You still fail.

See corrected, in bold.
Yes, I know I'm right. Thank you, but you didn't need to tell me.

Nowhere in the ruling was it said it was Constitutional ONLY because it was a state law. SCOTUS ruled that compulsory vaccination did not deprive a citizen of liberty granted by the United States Constitution.
That certainly seems broad enough to include the federal government too!
Thank you for putting your lack of education on display for all of us to see.

First, you continue to be wrong - no rights are provided to the people by the US constituion.
You are apparently happy to be wrong about this, and you enjoy chosing to be wrong.

Now then...
A state's powers are granted to it by its constitution.
The question in the case whas not the power granted to the state but if that power violated any rights protected by the US constitution. The court decided that this power did not violate any of the rights protected by the US constitution.

This in no way indicates that the US constitution gives a similar power to the US government, and as such, in no way supports the idea that the Federal government can create such compulsions; the case did not have anything to do with an action of the federal government and so cannot be used to argue that the federal government has any such power.

So.. your cite means nothing, You still fail.
The court decided that the power did not violate the Constitution, not who wielded the power.

The court decided that the power did not violate the Constitution, not who wielded the power. Edited by Intense. Do Not Change Quotes
And, as I said:
This in no way supports the argument that the Federal government has that power as well.

Your cite means nothing, You continue to fail.

Forum List

Back