Black and Whites

Beautiful-Bridges-Free-Into-The-Fog--1800x2880.jpg

In the 1800s people were really weird. They often took pictures of dead people or members of their family that were dead but they wanted to remember. Which one of these girls is dead?

tumblr_nh7i3zbK8N1rlpicfo1_1280.jpg

Find the answer here - People In The 1800s Did THIS With Dead Bodies - LittleThings.com

In this picture it's a little more obvious.

img056-600x450.jpg

I find a lot of things from the Victorian era to be morbidly fascinating! I read a little more about this, and they would actually pose the dead on stands and draw eyes on their eyelids to make them appear alive. I guess it was considered a nice way to remember a deceased loved one back then. I suppose it's really no more morbid than other "death" celebrations.

Here is another example of postmortem photography. These two girls remind me of the twins from the Shining. It looks like they both could have stands behind them. I'm not sure if both are dead or just one. However, the smaller one on the right definitely appears to be deceased, IMO.

Although this was apparently commonplace back then, I cannot imagine asking my child to pose with his/her dead sister or brother.

693a54ef370f2bc270bbfd330111b0f4.jpg

Forum List

Back