Black Extravigance

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
This is a sensitive subject, but what the hell, this is the place for it, right?

There are a couple recent stories out of New York that were initially reported and are now being regurgitated and commented on extensively, as an introduction to the "different" treatment of so-called "African Americans" in retail stores, and in particular high-end retail outlets.

We all know about the woman who purchased the $2,500 purse and the young man who purchased the $350 belt, both of whom were accosted by law enforcement and made to feel like criminals for nothing more than purchasing expensive stuff. And since they were "Black," they were scrutinized in the stores to a much greater extent than "White" people would have been, and presumed to be unable to purchase such extravigant items. Point taken.

But what I want to talk about is the phenomenon of Black extravigance.

I don't claim to be "typical," but we have a household annual income of around $250,000, and if my wife ever came home with a $2,500 handbag I would shoot her. And I would never even think of buying a belt for more than $100, let alone $350!

I read a few weeks ago that a Black family with a household income of between $100 and $200 thousand is five times more likely to purchase or lease a new Mercedes than a white household with a similar income. I personally would never purchase or lease a new Mercedes, although I did buy a USED one several years ago for about $15k. Obviously, not the same thing. In fact, my wife likes to purchase a nice new car every couple years, and she was very reluctant to seal the deal on her $30 thousand SUV a few months ago, thinking she might have gone overboard.

But for "middle class" Blacks, extravigant purchases are apparently not that uncommon.

There is a (self-identified Black) guy on another thread here who claims to spend $150 on dinner for himself and his wife when they go out. I don't even know anyone who would spend that much (other than on an expense account) on dinner for 2.

When I was growing up, you could go through "colored" neighborhoods in Pittsburgh and find just as many new Cadillac's and Lincoln's per household than you would see in the more prosperous white neighborhoods. You can talk all about the psychology of poverty or whatever you want, but this is stupid spending, on steroids.

If I were Black I think I would be more bothered by my fellow Black folks wasting their limited resources on flashy extravigances than whether some store clerk is watching me walking down the aisles in a downtown department store.

Whether the store clerks are justified in focusing their surveillance on Blacks is another issue altogether, but one that has two sides, to be sure.

This is a sensitive subject, but what the hell, this is the place for it, right?

There are a couple recent stories out of New York that were initially reported and are now being regurgitated and commented on extensively, as an introduction to the "different" treatment of so-called "African Americans" in retail stores, and in particular high-end retail outlets.

We all know about the woman who purchased the $2,500 purse and the young man who purchased the $350 belt, both of whom were accosted by law enforcement and made to feel like criminals for nothing more than purchasing expensive stuff. And since they were "Black," they were scrutinized in the stores to a much greater extent than "White" people would have been, and presumed to be unable to purchase such extravigant items. Point taken.

I don't claim to be "typical," but we have a household annual income of around $250,000, and if my wife ever came home with a $2,500 handbag I would shoot her. And I would never even think of buying a belt for more than $100, let alone $350!

I read a few weeks ago that a Black family with a household income of between $100 and $200 thousand is five times more likely to purchase or lease a new Mercedes than a white household with a similar income. I personally would never purchase or lease a new Mercedes, although I did buy a USED one several years ago for about $15k. Obviously, not the same thing. In fact, my wife likes to purchase a nice new car every couple years, and she was very reluctant to seal the deal on her $30 thousand SUV a few months ago, thinking she might have gone overboard.

But for "middle class" Blacks, extravigant purchases are apparently not that uncommon.

There is a (self-identified Black) guy on another thread here who claims to spend $150 on dinner for himself and his wife when they go out. I don't even know anyone who would spend that much (other than on an expense account) on dinner for 2.

When I was growing up, you could go through "colored" neighborhoods in Pittsburgh and find just as many new Cadillac's and Lincoln's per household than you would see in the more prosperous white neighborhoods. You can talk all about the psychology of poverty or whatever you want, but this is stupid spending, on steroids.

If I were Black I think I would be more bothered by my fellow Black folks wasting their limited resources on flashy extravigances than whether some store clerk is watching me walking down the aisles in a downtown department store.

Whether the store clerks are justified in focusing their surveillance on Blacks is another issue altogether, but one that has two sides, to be sure.

These "bait" threads just keep coming...lol.

So, I am the "self identified black guy" who spends 150.00 on dinner for my wife and myself, which several others here identified as not being that unusual, considering what is normal...especially if it is not every night.

Other than that, I stopped giving this thread consideration for further response when I got to the part about "fellow black folks"....as if all blacks belong to some club that requires a membership fee.

:cuckoo:

This has been the way of the ghetto forever. Back in the 70's you could drive down the streets of Newark, NJ and see big ass Caddy's and Lincoln's parked in front of shacks. No different now. Bling is a strange cultural thing.

On special occasions I have spent $150 on a dinner for two. High end steak and seafood places routinely charge 35-50 for a prime piece of meat or lobster/crab. Throw in a few glasses of wine, a dessert, espressos, tax and tip and $150 isn't out of the question.

Not in pittsburgh...of course.

Last edited:
Yeah, just like you can see a 'God knows what that thing must have cost' gigantic monster truck parked outside a mobile home, in a trailer park, where maybe there are a few poor white people living. It's right next to the ATV, Jet Ski, dirt bike, etc. protected by an abused pit bull tied up at the end of a length of dirty rope.

Yeah, "ghetto," that's it........ :rolleyes:

BTW - Learn to spell...at least in your thread titles. People might think you live in a trailer park.

What the fuck is Extravigance? :dunno:

It's what he named his monster truck.

I'm thinking it's his new double wide...

f_608376_1.jpg

Yeah, just like you can see a 'God knows what that thing must have cost' gigantic monster truck parked outside a mobile home, in a trailer park, where maybe there are a few poor white people living. It's right next to the ATV, Jet Ski, dirt bike, etc. protected by an abused pit bull tied up at the end of a length of dirty rope.

Yeah, "ghetto," that's it........ :rolleyes:[/

True. Ghetto is ghetto, no matter where it is located.

Last edited:

That's because you are a cheapo like I am. What other individuals do with their money and finances are their own business, if they (whatever color or ethnicity they are) want to blow or spend their money on extravagant items, that's their choice.

P.S. I wouldn't think of buying a belt for more than $10 if I can help it.

If you cant afford what a Black man spends on himself or his wife,or the size of his vehicle.As long as its not coming out of your pocket dont worry about it.

As obvious of a troll thread this is the OP has a point. Why are we (in general) over indulging? The media tells us what is the status symbol and we hop to buying it, taking the money out of the Black community where its needed and watch it disappear on a depreciating asset. Last i heard no Black people own car companies. We need to think about who's pocket we are lining and who's community we are assisting when we purchase things. Its a great way to stop impulse buying. Look up the company of the product you are thinking about buying from and check to see what their record is. Check to see if there is a Black owned alternative. If there is not (like an car) get one that will get you from point A to point B. No need to spent top dollar for something that only makes you feel better unless you can pay all cash. Big tip I learned. if you pay all cash you wont have to spend top dollar.

My dad had Caddies and Lincolns. Crappy cars, lead sleds especially in the snow. He knew they weren't great but he liked them (big American car) and could afford them.

As long as it's their own money, I don't care what other people buy. And I've never felt any inclination to "keep up with the Joneses". That's just dumb.

As obvious of a troll thread this is the OP has a point. Why are we (in general) over indulging? The media tells us what is the status symbol and we hop to buying it, taking the money out of the Black community where its needed and watch it disappear on a depreciating asset. Last i heard no Black people own car companies. We need to think about who's pocket we are lining and who's community we are assisting when we purchase things. Its a great way to stop impulse buying. Look up the company of the product you are thinking about buying from and check to see what their record is. Check to see if there is a Black owned alternative. If there is not (like an car) get one that will get you from point A to point B. No need to spent top dollar for something that only makes you feel better unless you can pay all cash. Big tip I learned. if you pay all cash you wont have to spend top dollar.

I like how you think this post isn't racist. You need to know the color of a sellers skin is black before but something from them?

My dad had Caddies and Lincolns. Crappy cars, lead sleds especially in the snow. He knew they weren't great but he liked them (big American car) and could afford them.

As long as it's their own money, I don't care what other people buy. And I've never felt any inclination to "keep up with the Joneses". That's just dumb.

If the black community didn't waste their money on bullshit, maybe there would be less poverty and desperation in that community. Its a problem.

I like how you think this post isn't racist. You need to know the color of a sellers skin is black before but something from them?

Why is it racist? I never said other tribes offer inferior products. I said we need to spend the money in our communities like every other ethnic group known to mankind has always done. Jewish, Irish, Italian, etc. Comprehend now?

Forum List

Back