black waiters/etc

Spot on video. My established tip, is 20%. He quoted a $100 tab and only got $2.13. The tip should have been $20.00. The absolute minimum should be 10%. Hell, even when I go thru the drive thru, I leave them a couple of bucks extra. Being a servant in the food service industry is largely a thankless job.
There are only two reasons I don't leave a tip:
1. It's when you're in a fast food restaurant, you've already paid at the counter and are just waiting for the person to walk out, plunk down your tray and walk off.
2. It's when you've been polite through the entire time and for some reason the server may have been having a bad day, or hates his/her (I'm not going into that multi-gender crap) job and is rude to the customer because of it. When I encounter that, I not only don't tip, I don't go back.

As for the customer, don't be rude to the server. There's an old saying: "Never be rude to those that serve your food." Good advice. Also, behave like a civilized human being when in public and don't blame it on racism. You could be dropped down in any African nation restaurant and you would find polite behavior by the public and servers alike. It's just some basic civil behavior when in public. If you have crappy social skills and are inclined to "act-out," stay home and act like fools. Don't subject the servers to your idiocy.

Last edited:
Spot on video. My established tip, is 20%. He quoted a $100 tab and only got $2.13. The tip should have been $20.00. The absolute minimum should be 10%. Hell, even when I go thru the drive thru, I leave them a couple of bucks extra. Being a servant in the food service industry is largely a thankless job.
There are only two reasons I don't leave a tip:
1. It's where you're in a fast food restaurant, you've already paid and are just waiting for the person to walk out, plunk down your tray and walk off.
2. It's when you've been polite through the entire time and for some reason the server may have been having a bad day, or hates his/her (I'm not going into that multi-gender crap) job and is rude to the customer because of it. When I encounter that, I not only don't tip, I don't go back.
Yep, im the same. I do 20-25%.

Yep, im the same. I do 20-25%.
Agreed, although I very rarely go beyond 20%. When it does exceed the 20% level, it's when the wait staff has been exceptional in their attentiveness. Many years ago as part of an anniversary with my late wife, I made reservations at a hugely expensive restaurant, one I would never just attend in general and the restaurant had a waiter for every two tables and they just stood there between the tables waiting. I felt that as the wait staff had to be present for every little thing you needed, a higher tip was necessary. After all, I felt like only the rich went to such a swanky restaurant and didn't want to appear cheap. Very costly and never took her back to that location for an anniversary. To get her back alive, I would take out a massive loan and take her there as often as she wished though.

Agreed, although I very rarely go beyond 20%. When it does exceed the 20% level, it's when the wait staff has been exceptional in their attentiveness. Many years ago as part of an anniversary with my late wife, I made reservations at a hugely expensive restaurant, one I would never just attend in general and the restaurant had a waiter for every two tables and they just stood there between the tables waiting. I felt that as the wait staff had to be present for every little thing you needed, a higher tip was necessary. After all, I felt like only the rich went to such a swanky restaurant and didn't want to appear cheap. Very costly and never took her back to that location for an anniversary. To get her back alive, I would take out a massive loan and take her there as often as she wished though.
I just ordered some Mexican food for take out, which im eating at this very moment. It was a $17 bill, and i tipped $4. I didnt eat there, so no table service was provided, but i still tipped because its the right thing to do.

I just ordered some Mexican food for take out, which im eating at this very moment. It was a $17 bill, and i tipped $4. I didnt eat there, so no table service was provided, but i still tipped because its the right thing to do.
Well, yeah. We have one of those large Mexican chain restaurants and during this pandemic, we order out a lot and in some cases, we have them deliver or pick the stuff up and leave. Again, it's 20%.

Forum List

Back