Black woman forced to Mental Institution because police didn't believe her

Book of Jeremiah

Platinum Member
Nov 3, 2012
I tried to fact check this story and it looks like this really happened. A black woman was pulled over by police and was put into a mental hospital where she was held against her will for 8 days because the Police wanted her to admit 3 things were not true that she said were true. The three things they wanted her to admit were not true - that she owned a BMW, that she was a professional banker and that Barack Obama followed her on Twitter. Her lawyer says all three are true.

Lawsuit: Cops Put Black Woman in Mental Hospital Because They Didn't Believe She Owned BMW

Kamilah Brock, a 32-year-old banker from Long Island, was pulled over in Harlem for allegedly driving without her hands on the wheel. She was arrested, then released without charges.

"I was confused and did not know what was going on, why I was being taken into custody," Brock said to PIX11. “The officer said, 'why are you driving without your hands on the wheel?' I said I was dancing, I am at a light, he asked me to get out of the car.” From there, things got weirder. Brock says police told her to come back for her BMW the next day, but when she arrived back at the station she claims they tricked her into being cuffed, telling her they were bringing her to get her vehicle.

Next thing she knew, paramedics were putting her in an ambulance bound for a mental health facility. The police apparently believed that Brock, whose lawyer says she has zero history of mental health problems, was delusional and did not actually have a BMW. The lawsuit claims that Brock was held at the hospital for eight days, where she was given lithium and injected with powerful sedatives.

“He held onto me and then the doctor stuck me in the arm and I was on a stretcher and I woke up to them taking my clothes off, specifically my underwear,” Brock said in her interview with PIX11.

According to the Huffington Post:

Medical records also show that over the course of her eight-day stay, personnel at the hospital repeatedly tried to get Brock to deny three things before she could be released: that she owned the BMW, that she was a professional banker, and that President Barack Obama followed her on Twitter.

But all three of those things happened be true, he lawyer says.

To add insult to injury, Brock says she later received a $13,000 bill from the hospital.

Last edited:
The Huffpost story:

Woman Says She Endured 8 Days In Psych Ward Because Cops Didn't Believe BMW Was Hers

55f31231180000260061cda0.png

NEW YORK -- Kamilah Brock says the New York City police sent her to a mental hospital for a hellish eight days, where she was forcefully injected with powerful drugs, essentially because they couldn't believe a black woman owned a BMW.

In her first on-camera interview about her ordeal, which aired Thursday, the 32-year-old told PIX11 that it was all a "nightmare."

It's a nightmare, Brock's lawyer told The Huffington Post, that never would have happened if she weren't African-American.
What I do not understand is why would they target this woman when the streets of NY have many people who legitimately are mentally insane and homeless yet I do not know of a case where the NYPD have arrested any homeless person because they didn't believe their story. This is a very disturbing story about what this woman went through.

She didn't have her hands on the wheel because she was dancing.

This entire story is dancing.

She was in the hospital for 8 days and no family or friends were looking for her?

There was a story back some time ago about a woman who took photographs while sight seeing in a certain city. The police came over to her and I believe they asked her something about her bumper sticker. She was a tea party supporter. They confiscated her camera and took her to a psych ward and she was subjected to tests, I cannot recall if she was forced to take medication but I do know they took her clothing and treated her as if she had mental problems. She was held against her will for quite a few days. I will have to look for that story and see if I can find it. I'm not convinced it was about race as much as singling someone out and subjecting them to this type abuse of their rights in order to see how the public responds to such stories.

She was in the hospital for 8 days and no family or friends were looking for her?

I'm sure they were looking for her. The story is focusing on what happened to her from the time of her arrest, forced to mental institution, forced to take medication, misdiagnosed, harassed by police and told she had to agree to deny three things to be released, etc. Very disturbing story.

Listening to her in the interview it is quite obvious she is a stable woman with zero mental health issues.

Listen - before I was saved? My music was blaring and I was dancing in my seat too. She was at a red light. Why would she need to have her hands on the wheel?

Why is the entire story dancing? I do not see that. I think there is more to this - you are not wondering about it?

Listen - before I was saved? My music was blaring and I was dancing in my seat too. She was at a red light. Why would she need to have her hands on the wheel?

Why is the entire story dancing? I do not see that. I think there is more to this - you are not wondering about it?
Did Jesus tell you to turn it down?

Actually? No, Daws. I still play my music loud sometimes - in the car and I sing and will even worship God with my hands in the air when I'm at a red light! lol! I do not care what people think. I think you guys have got that by now. ha! ha!

But the point is listening to some music and dancing in her seat did not entitle them to delve into her mental health - haul her to a hospital, etc.

Hey, in 2008 you voted to turn America Stalinist now you're not dancing in the streets?

Fucking ingrates.

What happened to this woman was wrong. You could simply address that. If it had been someone you knew and cared about I'm sure you'd manage to express yourself on the matter.

Actually? No, Daws. I still play my music loud sometimes - in the car and I sing and will even worship God with my hands in the air when I'm at a red light! lol! I do not care what people think. I think you guys have got that by now. ha! ha!

But the point is listening to some music and dancing in her seat did not entitle them to delve into her mental health - haul her to a hospital, etc.
I agree .
You need to get a sense of humor.

Forum List

Back