Blacks have been voting for Dems for over a hundred years!

I agree with everything you’ve said, but it also takes an effort to genuinely reach out. The reason you saw nobody clapping at his low unemployment comment was because he is perceived by many as taking credit for something that he isn’t necessarily responsible for

seriously?

can't find any president ever who's NOT done that. well maybe harrison.
you just said you have a hard time listening to guy speak, and you voted for him. Do I really need to explain to you why people who didn’t vote for him weren’t standing and clapping while he boasted and embellished about his accomplishments?

if it's perspective that blacks have been voting since 1870 so trump was correct, i agree.
if it's perspective that blacks really didn't enjoy that right in the manner intended until AT LEAST 1965, that perspective would still be correct.
well, that is purely subjective and not in the OP. not at all.
that's why you ask follow up questions.

or get bent to hell and start screaming and end up with no resolution.

your call.
Ok here are some questions. What do you think trump meant by the statement and do you think it takes our discourse or a policy agenda in a positive direction? Do you think it has any negative effects?
They started to vote democrat in the 1930s....so it's 80 almost 90 years not 100.....so yes technically he's wrong...but the spirit of what he is conveying is correct....
I’ll give you correct if you give me tone deaf... do we have a deal?
I'll admit you are willing to compromise, it's a start.
But what is tone deaf about the comment?
What he's trying to say is they have been voting democrat for a long time.
The culture is different now then back in the day and blacks are still lagging behind by a lot.
He's just asking them to try something new....
We'll see if it works, but even Susan Rice's son is a republican.
I mean black people are now hearing the republican message instead of being told what it is...that's a huge difference.
Republicans don't pander like democrats do.....We're for low taxes for everyone
We think people should have control of their own lives and their own businesses
The main problem with democrats is they do have a with you or against you idea......they look at party registration when they make laws and decisions and you should not do it that way.

I’m far from holly. And I don’t see a problem with criticizing tone deaf statements like this. They do zero good for our country and the sick divide that’s happening.

Of course making a big deal over political rhetoric brings everyone closer together, right? I bet most people didn't even see the speech, I didn't.

I don’t think I’m making a big deal about it. Why do you? I mean I’m not calling him a racist or calling for impeachment or staging a protest. I’m pointing out a careless statement that he made and opening up a discussion about it. Do you think that’s inappropriate of me? Do you think we should all just ignore the powerful when we feel like they are being inappropriate or inflammatory or doing something we feel is damaging to our country?
maybe cause:

Did you all hear Trump say this at his last rally? Another brilliant tag line from our dear leader :)
#clueless

----

came off as snark and inventing reasons to call trump clueless when in fact, he was correct from his point of view.
I still think he was being clueless about what he was speaking to and I’ve explained why. You obviously disagree, that’s fine.
who wrote the speech?
That doesn’t matter. He was delivering it, buck stops with him... and my issue isn’t with the facts it’s with the message

Did you all hear Trump say this at his last rally? Another brilliant tag line from our dear leader :)
#clueless
If his sole reason for saying it was to 'trigger' butt-hurt Trump-Haters, then he accomplished what he set out to do. :p

your call.
Ok here are some questions. What do you think trump meant by the statement and do you think it takes our discourse or a policy agenda in a positive direction? Do you think it has any negative effects?

dunno. did trump write it or does he have a speech writer?

i think he meant that blacks have been able to vote for 100+ years and traditionally have voted democrat and got nothing in return. if i wanna get "clever" i can say he's right cause they voted dem up until 1965 and it took how long again??? 95 years? the ones who could vote sure didn't help their cause.

if you like trump, it's a positive effect.
if you hate trump, anything he says is negative
if you're neutral you didn't watch the speech and apathy has consumed you at this point.

if you want allowances for your point of view you kinda gotta give people their allowances as well. you seem to be looking for a binary answer where they simply don't exist.
Im not a historian but I have a hard time thinking that blacks didn’t support Lincoln, the republican that freed them from slavery. And in the following years you think they just jumped on the democrats wagon, despite it was southern democrats that were instituting Jim Crow laws? I really don’t think Trump is versed on this history either, I’d bet it was just an off the cuff comment telling blacks they shouldn’t vote for Dems, but if you want to dive into the history of the black vote, I’d be interested to learn more. I did a little research earlier today and it takes some digging
See I majored in history, that's why I love these conversations
They did vote republican, until the democrats gave them free stuff in the 1930s.
That free stuff was full of regulations and strings which caused their communities to get worse (it really accelerated in the late 1960s and early 1970s).....which is why there are so many fatherless black families....it's really bad
And that's why we consider it a government plantation
plantation: free food, free housing, free medical care, no schooling, no family structure (done by the white overlords, horrible stuff), violence (whippings, killings) and you need to harvest crops of cotton and such
government: food stamps, public housing, terrible almost no existent schooling,Medicaid, little family structure (encouraged by the govt, horrible stuff., violence (killings, gang beatings) and you need to harvest crops of votes for democrats

That's the point, it's the same situation just in a different form.
I think there are some valid points in there but now you all need to learn how to talk about it in a non-inflammatory non-offensive non-hyperbolic way... a little tact, thoughtfulness and empathy can go a long way

I would agree and when someone is worthy of that I do, it's just most on here are beyond dumb......rdean, lakhota, franco and those guys are not reachable or able to look at anything outside their own reality......it's sad...

your call.

i think he meant that blacks have been able to vote for 100+ years and traditionally have voted democrat and got nothing in return. if i wanna get "clever" i can say he's right cause they voted dem up until 1965 and it took how long again??? 95 years? the ones who could vote sure didn't help their cause.

if you're neutral you didn't watch the speech and apathy has consumed you at this point.

if you want allowances for your point of view you kinda gotta give people their allowances as well. you seem to be looking for a binary answer where they simply don't exist.
Im not a historian but I have a hard time thinking that blacks didn’t support Lincoln, the republican that freed them from slavery. And in the following years you think they just jumped on the democrats wagon, despite it was southern democrats that were instituting Jim Crow laws? I really don’t think Trump is versed on this history either, I’d bet it was just an off the cuff comment telling blacks they shouldn’t vote for Dems, but if you want to dive into the history of the black vote, I’d be interested to learn more. I did a little research earlier today and it takes some digging
They did vote republican, until the democrats gave them free stuff in the 1930s.
That free stuff was full of regulations and strings which caused their communities to get worse (it really accelerated in the late 1960s and early 1970s).....which is why there are so many fatherless black families....it's really bad
plantation: free food, free housing, free medical care, no schooling, no family structure (done by the white overlords, horrible stuff), violence (whippings, killings) and you need to harvest crops of cotton and such
government: food stamps, public housing, terrible almost no existent schooling,Medicaid, little family structure (encouraged by the govt, horrible stuff., violence (killings, gang beatings) and you need to harvest crops of votes for democrats

I think there are some valid points in there but now you all need to learn how to talk about it in a non-inflammatory non-offensive non-hyperbolic way... a little tact, thoughtfulness and empathy can go a long way
you all? i may not succeed but i do try. :)

I agree with everything you’ve said, but it also takes an effort to genuinely reach out. The reason you saw nobody clapping at his low unemployment comment was because he is perceived by many as taking credit for something that he isn’t necessarily responsible for

seriously?

can't find any president ever who's NOT done that. well maybe harrison.
you just said you have a hard time listening to guy speak, and you voted for him. Do I really need to explain to you why people who didn’t vote for him weren’t standing and clapping while he boasted and embellished about his accomplishments?
do i really need to explain why politicians take credit for shit they didn't do?

Of course making a big deal over political rhetoric brings everyone closer together, right? I bet most people didn't even see the speech, I didn't.

I don’t think I’m making a big deal about it. Why do you? I mean I’m not calling him a racist or calling for impeachment or staging a protest. I’m pointing out a careless statement that he made and opening up a discussion about it. Do you think that’s inappropriate of me? Do you think we should all just ignore the powerful when we feel like they are being inappropriate or inflammatory or doing something we feel is damaging to our country?
maybe cause:

#clueless

----

came off as snark and inventing reasons to call trump clueless when in fact, he was correct from his point of view.
I still think he was being clueless about what he was speaking to and I’ve explained why. You obviously disagree, that’s fine.
who wrote the speech?
That doesn’t matter. He was delivering it, buck stops with him... and my issue isn’t with the facts it’s with the message
sounds more like messenger.

Wrong man, blacks voted in the inbetween years, if they could jump through the hoops, and who put up those barriers? hint:NOT conservative republicans
Maybe not republicans but yes conservatives. Efforts to free slaves and progress their rights was a Liberal effort by definition. And the actions by the southern states, and yes southern Democrats, and Jim Crow laws were not a result of the way blacks were voting. Like I said a few posts ago, that is completely tone deaf
Wrong, we've been over this
there were conservatives in lincolns time. Watch the movie
if you don't like that
then what did Horace Greeley run as and what year? Who did he run against? What party were they?
And of course let me know the last democrat more conservative than the republican for President?
I think most republicans were more Liberal than their democratic counter parts back in Lincoln’s day. Southern democrats were absolutely conservative during Jim Crow. Those roles flip flopped during the mid 1900s
They didn't, that's the point. WH Taft was more conservative than either Roosevelt or Wilson in 1912

As for the south, what really happened was AC.....once it became widely available, republicans moved south for lower taxes and better weather? why republicans? because they had jobs they could transfer to and they had enough money to move.
I moved to TN in 1992 with my parents, better weather, lower taxes....
Did you know that TN house and senate wasn't controlled by republicans until 2009 (they had one term in the late 60s, but it was an outlier)?

List of Speakers of the Tennessee House of Representatives - Wikipedia
List of Speakers of the Louisiana House of Representatives - Wikipedia
Party control of Alabama state government - Ballotpedia

Alabama has become more Republican in the last 30 years. 30 years would be 1988

look at others, most senators and house members and state legislatures didn't go republican until the 1980s, roughly 20 years after the civil rights act,why?
Because people didn't switch, it was population movement and people growing up with different attitudes(aka non racist attitudes).

Sorry guys that switch stuff is total bunk.....it didn't happen.
still waiting for a response on this......the switch and southern strategies are complete bullshit theories with zero basis in reality.
What would your definition of conservative and liberal be and do you think those definitions have accurately labeled both Republicans and Democrats as respective conservatives and liberals throughout the course of history?

maybe cause:

#clueless

----

who wrote the speech?
Yeah, but the message is filtered through a leftwing media, so to get through he said some crazy stuff (McCain, Mexicans, others) but a lot of it was true and said so that you couldn't ignore it.
Republicans have a much harder time and are usually just ignored...that's why we love Trump, he wont let himself be ignored and he attacks political correctness, which is the worst thing our country faces(way worse they NK or Iran)

I would agree and when someone is worthy of that I do, it's just most on here are beyond dumb......rdean, lakhota, franco and those guys are not reachable or able to look at anything outside their own reality......it's sad...
some people are hard to reach. and that's the way they want it...

get that song out of your head now. :)

your call.

Kanye West did and got scolded by the left. The fact is, the left only wants one thing and they will fight to keep it their way. It was, Kanye, back in line brother.

Kanye West did and got scolded by the left. The fact is, the left only wants one thing and they will fight to keep it their way. It was, Kanye, back in line brother.
yep. maxine waters told him to get back into the group and cut it out. so much for free speech huh?

yep. maxine waters told him to get back into the group and cut it out. so much for free speech huh?
it proves the point of what trump said.

you all? i may not succeed but i do try. :)
You do... and I enjoy our debates... well most of them ;-)

maybe cause:

#clueless

----

who wrote the speech?
Yeah, but the message is filtered through a leftwing media, so to get through he said some crazy stuff (McCain, Mexicans, others) but a lot of it was true and said so that you couldn't ignore it.
Republicans have a much harder time and are usually just ignored...that's why we love Trump, he wont let himself be ignored and he attacks political correctness, which is the worst thing our country faces(way worse they NK or Iran)
I think PC can and has gone way to far, but I don’t think driving a culture of in your face insults is the answer. Especially when it is propt up by hyperbole and misinformation

maybe cause:

#clueless

----

who wrote the speech?
I think PC can and has gone way to far, but I don’t think driving a culture of in your face insults is the answer. Especially when it is propt up by hyperbole and misinformation
sometimes you gotta fight the way it comes at you. these days the left hurls insults like hershey flings candy to fat kids at halloween. don't agree with them NAZI!! RACIST!!! and the like. if someone "of color" doesn't toe the line, they go crazy on them and demonize them also.

i don't say it's a good or bad way to react to what the left is doing, no. but as you said above, how you handle things dictates the responses you get.

is calling someone NAZI, RACIST and WHITE SUPREMACIST going to get a rational response from almost anyone?

equal application of standards, man.

Maybe not republicans but yes conservatives. Efforts to free slaves and progress their rights was a Liberal effort by definition. And the actions by the southern states, and yes southern Democrats, and Jim Crow laws were not a result of the way blacks were voting. Like I said a few posts ago, that is completely tone deaf
Wrong, we've been over this
there were conservatives in lincolns time. Watch the movie
if you don't like that
then what did Horace Greeley run as and what year? Who did he run against? What party were they?
And of course let me know the last democrat more conservative than the republican for President?
I think most republicans were more Liberal than their democratic counter parts back in Lincoln’s day. Southern democrats were absolutely conservative during Jim Crow. Those roles flip flopped during the mid 1900s
They didn't, that's the point. WH Taft was more conservative than either Roosevelt or Wilson in 1912

As for the south, what really happened was AC.....once it became widely available, republicans moved south for lower taxes and better weather? why republicans? because they had jobs they could transfer to and they had enough money to move.
I moved to TN in 1992 with my parents, better weather, lower taxes....
Did you know that TN house and senate wasn't controlled by republicans until 2009 (they had one term in the late 60s, but it was an outlier)?

List of Speakers of the Tennessee House of Representatives - Wikipedia
List of Speakers of the Louisiana House of Representatives - Wikipedia
Party control of Alabama state government - Ballotpedia

Alabama has become more Republican in the last 30 years. 30 years would be 1988

look at others, most senators and house members and state legislatures didn't go republican until the 1980s, roughly 20 years after the civil rights act,why?
Because people didn't switch, it was population movement and people growing up with different attitudes(aka non racist attitudes).

Sorry guys that switch stuff is total bunk.....it didn't happen.
still waiting for a response on this......the switch and southern strategies are complete bullshit theories with zero basis in reality.
What would your definition of conservative and liberal be and do you think those definitions have accurately labeled both Republicans and Democrats as respective conservatives and liberals throughout the course of history?
When I get home, I'll work on this one....way too much thought needed on this one....good Question though!!

if it's perspective that blacks have been voting since 1870 so trump was correct, i agree.
if it's perspective that blacks really didn't enjoy that right in the manner intended until AT LEAST 1965, that perspective would still be correct.
well, that is purely subjective and not in the OP. not at all.

your call.
Most of what he says isn't a positive direction. He's a fighter, not a uniter.

I do also think that it's gotten to the point that no matter what he says, certain people will take it out of context and find a reason to hate him for whatever he says. You could see that in the State of the Union address when he noted that black unemployment was at a record low and democrats sat their all frowny-faced about it. If Trump does reach out to try to unite on something, it requires someone there willing to take his hand. There's none of that right now, and it's both sides' fault.
Most of what he says isn't a positive direction. He's a fighter, not a uniter.

he isn't PC. that bugs the left. the left like to be coddled. they never tell it like it is, always sugar coat it. It ain't him.
He also says a lot of shit that's objectively false or objectively stupid. You can't just chalk it all up to "he's not PC."

Oh, you poor bastard. Parroting a lie fed to you by your masters.

Allow me to educate you once again: Nixon's Southern Strategy: "It's All In The Charts":
"From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote and they don't need any more than that...but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats."

That's a Republican strategist for Nixon laying out the GOP plan going forward.

The Southern Strategy was real, dipshit.

You're welcome.

Forum List

Back