Boycott Staples

It's clerks. Yes I know. You don't think they have anything to do with delivery, but in many cases, they're the first step. Weighing parcels, selling postage, money orders, envelopes.
Forgive me in expanding "mail delivery" to intake as well as bulk shipping and carrier routes.

its all how you want to look at it....."delivery" is the end function....this whole thing with Staples will have very little effect on the Carriers....
Granted, but overall, it should save some money for USPS.

Do you get paid by the post or by the word?

Only you in the public employee unions get paid to post....

Now go help that poor man with his registration, he's been waiting 4 hours while you fuck around.....

Another binary reaction. Nothing to see here folks. Uncensored holds a degree from MSU. He's trying to sell off the US as quickly as possible.

You're so lame.

Another binary reaction. Nothing to see here folks. Uncensored holds a degree from MSU. He's trying to sell off the US as quickly as possible.

You're so lame.

Fer christs sake, that women has waited 7 hours to get her license, get off your ass and help her....

FedEx appears to have triumphed over UPS in a multimillion-dollar lobbying battle over a labor provision in the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) reauthorization bill.

A 230-word clause added to the FAA bill introduced in the last Congress would have brought FedEx under the same labor laws as UPS. The two shipping companies turned to K Street to duke it out over the provision.

At stake was a measure that would have placed the shipping competitors under the same labor laws. The National Labor Relations Act covers UPS drivers, while the Railway Labor Act governs FedEx. It is harder to form a union and strike under the Railway Labor Act.

The labor provision has been cleared from the bill this year — along with other contentious measures, such as a passenger fee and the number of long-distance landing slots at Reagan National Airport — as Senate Democrats look to move the bill quickly under the banner of job creation.

FedEx is now on board with the FAA bill since it no longer contains the labor law change.

“The Senate bill is free of extraneous labor provisions, and we urge Congress to approve the bill as swiftly as possible,” said Maury Donahue, a spokeswoman for FedEx. “This legislation is long overdue and will result in much-needed air safety improvements and next-generation navigation systems, as well as the thousands of jobs that will be created by improving airport infrastructure.”

It was a different story two years ago, when former Rep. Jim Oberstar (D-Minn.), then the chairman of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, was able to add the labor provision to the FAA bill.

That led to a standoff with Senate Republicans like Lamar Alexander and Bob Corker of Tennessee, FedEx’s home state, who protested against including the provision in the legislation. In July of last year, the Senate ended up passing its own version of the FAA bill without the labor provision by a vote of 93-0.

FedEx launched a ferocious lobbying campaign against the labor measure. Soon after Oberstar added the measure to the FAA bill, the shipping company started a website, Brown Bailout, complete with YouTube ads that parodied UPS ads and said the measure would equal a politically toxic “bailout” for its competitor.

Consequently, FedEx’s lobbying spending spiked during the past two years, according to lobbying disclosure records.

In 2009 and 2010, the company spent almost $42 million on lobbying, a total that includes its spending on the ad campaign targeting the provision. That dwarfs FedEx’s K Street expenditures for the prior Congress, when the company spent nearly $14.4 million on lobbying in 2007 and 2008.

UPS was not in the same league with its lobbying spending, doling out more than $14 million in 2009 and 2010 together, according to records. The Teamsters spent even less, with close to $2.5 million geared toward lobbying during the past two years.

UPS and the Teamsters do have supporters remaining in Congress, but Democrats’ loss of the House was a big blow to their cause.

With hearings scheduled next week in the House for the FAA bill, House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee Chairman John Mica (R-Fla.) has said he would only move the legislation without the provision. Labor groups are also missing their biggest champion since Oberstar, one of the longest-serving members of Congress, went down in defeat last November.

Read more: FedEx bests UPS in lobbying skirmish | TheHill
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

Ah, yes, the good old days.

You're so lame.

Fer christs sake, that women has waited 7 hours to get her license, get off your ass and help her....

Two of the largest courier and shipping services have reported spending more than $3 million on lobbying the federal government during the first quarter.

Both companies reported spending more than a million a month on lobbying legislation and regulations dealing with fuel taxes, trade, pensions, Department of Defense appropriations, security, healthcare, pharmaceutical distribution, and postal reform.

The United Parcel Service company reported spending $3,044,992 during the first quarter, up from reporting $1,561,4140 during the fourth quarter of 2013. During the quarter the company also lobbied on the minimum wage issue. During 2013, the company reported spending $5.6 million. A company spokesperson stated there were no new projects or programs in the first quarter, but there were accounting changes and once a year compensation calculations. View multi-year spending chart.

The FedEx Corporation reported spending $3,271,984 during the first quarter, up slightly from the $3,165,090 reported for the fourth quarter of 2013. FedEx also lobbied on the immigration issue in the first quarter. During 2013, the company spent $12,200,912. View multi-year spending chart.
UPS, FedEx Spend Over $3 million on Lobbying in 2014 Q1 | Political MoneyLine Blog

More recent update looks like they are busy.

so how IS that Staples boycott going leftard?

are they out of business or submitting yet?

anyway what did they do to offend your liberal sensibilities in the first place?

i forgot. does anybody remember?

so how IS that Staples boycott going leftard?

are they out of business or submitting yet?

anyway what did they do to offend your liberal sensibilities in the first place?

i forgot. does anybody remember?

Yep. I remember, jack ass.

So wait a minute...

An organization that is losing money (USPS) opts to go into a cooperative business with a company that is making money so the losing organization who is forced to follow a losing business model can capitalize on a winning business model...

And the call is to boycott?

Huh?

So wait a minute...

An organization that is losing money (USPS) opts to go into a cooperative business with a company that is making money so the losing organization who is forced to follow a losing business model can capitalize on a winning business model...

Huh?

The only reason that the USPS is losing money is due to this
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/109/hr6407/text

passed in 2006 where they are forced to pay for benefits/retirement 75 years in advance by 2016. Still with me? Ok, that is prepay for people who aren't even born yet. That's not even touching the 40 year accounting error by the Office of Personnel Management. That right there is $80 billion and should be returned.

Further, the USPS is more cost efficient, produces a profit, and has a protection that the other businesses do not provide.

This is the process of destroying good paying middle class jobs to the eight and change jobs.

So wait a minute...

Huh?

passed in 2006 where they are forced to pay for benefits/retirement 75 years in advance by 2016. Still with me? Ok, that is prepay for people who aren't even born yet. That's not even touching the 40 year accounting error by the Office of Personnel Management. That right there is $80 billion and should be returned.

Further, the USPS is more cost efficient, produces a profit, and has a protection that the other businesses do not provide.

This is the process of destroying good paying middle class jobs to the eight and change jobs.

So, due to legislation, they have a failing business model.

Fix the model. Dont boycott the company that the USPS opted to capitalize on.

Staples is not eliminating the good paying jobs. The USPS is. Fix THEIR model.

In the meantime, don't blame Staples for hiring college kids and high school kids to stock the shelves with scotch tape and pencils.

So wait a minute...

Huh?

So curious, why were they forced those 75 years worth of benefits. Who did they go to. Anyone back from the future to explain?

So wait a minute...

Huh?

In the meantime, don't blame Staples for hiring college kids and high school kids to stock the shelves with scotch tape and pencils.

Hey, those are adult jobs for union workers making 25 dollars and hour.

So wait a minute...

Huh?

Nope. I say go back and get a list of every corp that lobbied for that 2006 legislation that set the stage and boycott them too. It was intentional and used to force privatization. The corporate owned politicians are the ones that aided. You seem to think that Staples had this foisted on them. Poor Staples.

So wait a minute...

Huh?

So curious, why were they forced those 75 years worth of benefits. Who did they go to. Anyone back from the future to explain?

To bankrupt them. The PO pays 5.5 billion to 5.8 billion a year benefits/retirement. It's flat out unnecessary.

Nope. I say go back and get a list of every corp that lobbied for that 2006 legislation that set the stage and boycott them too. It was intentional and used to force privatization. The corporate owned politicians are the ones that aided. You seem to think that Staples had this foisted on them. Poor Staples.

No. I am not saying that. I am trying to keep this civil. Do not put words in my mouth.

Staples did what the law allowed them to do.

If the legislators were "swayed" by the lobbyists, vote in other legislators and have the legislation overturned.

But to boycott Staples because you disagree with legislators? Sorry. I don't agree.

No. I am not saying that. I am trying to keep this civil. Do not put words in my mouth.

Staples did what the law allowed them to do.

If the legislators were "swayed" by the lobbyists, vote in other legislators and have the legislation overturned.

But to boycott Staples because you disagree with legislators? Sorry. I don't agree.

No, my disagreement goes a lot further back.
Deride and Conquer: Dismantling the USPS

If you aren't paying attention to it then you won't put the pressure on them to repeal. Your wording indicates that the corporations are innocent. They are not.

This has been in the works for sometime. Now, you may be perfectly content to sit back and do nothing at any time. Cool. No, really. But, to sit idly by while there is an attempt to continuously destroy middle class jobs? I can't do that.

Forum List

Back