BREAKING NEWS: Arlen Specter switching parties to give Democrats 60 votes in Senate

And you think one party having a strangle hold on the power in this country is a good thing for its people?

Perhaps they should ask how well that went for Germany in the 1930s

there is a very big significant difference and it's getting bigger every single passing day..
Exactly. Big differnce.
The Dems have a large majority in Congress that is growing in the middle of the term,
and will increase again in 2010 and 2012,
The Dems have the WH and will hold it at least until 2017, likely longer (seeing as how the Dems have little organized opposition).

Whilst the GOP is a shrinking, contracting pack of hard right wing folks in Congress who have chased away all the moderates,
are attractive to only a small percentage of the voting population,
and has members of Congress who's sole contribution to governing the nation while we are in a multi layered crisis has been to say "no !"

Big difference.

How many Dems want to switch over to being GOP, I wonder ?

And you think one party having a strangle hold on the power in this country is a good thing for its people?

look on the bright side,, the little oinkers will have to figure out now who to blame for their stupidity,, someone other than Republicans,, it wil be fun watching the extemes on the left ripping each other's political throats out.

Exactly. Big differnce.
The Dems have a large majority in Congress that is growing in the middle of the term,
The Dems have the WH and will hold it at least until 2017, likely longer (seeing as how the Dems have little organized opposition).

Whilst the GOP is a shrinking, contracting pack of hard right wing folks in Congress who have chased away all the moderates,
and has members of Congress who's sole contribution to governing the nation while we are in a multi layered crisis has been to say "no !"

Big difference.

look on the bright side,, the little oinkers will have to figure out now who to blame for their stupidity,, someone other than Republicans,, it wil be fun watching the extemes on the left ripping each other's political throats out.

About as fun as watching you seethe and rip your hair out in this thread. Damn, you are really coming apart at the seams. :cuckoo:

there is a very big significant difference and it's getting bigger every single passing day..
Exactly. Big differnce.

Big difference.

Are you admitting that the GOP fucked up the 6 years they had control of all three branches?

The bigger concern is how long will we continue to have a Republic with one party in control and no one to stop them.

Long time, I'd suspect.

How do you figure that?

The 2010 elections are coming up and you have NO MOMENTUM. Obama will win in 2012. So we're talking 2014 midterms before you even pick up one seat. You'll be in the minority for the next 16 years. America is moving to the left. The pendulum swings!!! Remember how nice it was when it was going your way? :lol:

Maybe, just maybe, this will inspire the Republicans to find some non right-wing-bible-thumping-torturers to represent their party.

We can always dream.

You might have a point if what you said is true. It's so obvious when someone spouts this crap what they read in their spare time. The republican is no more controlled by religion than the left wing democrat party is. They are all about money and power and they have you little trolls down here in the ditches doing their dirty work for them. Keeps you busy and out of their hair I suppose. :lol:

Spector would do anything within his means to keep his seat, a man with no backbone.

Does he speak for his constituents or for the Grand Obstructionist Party?

You Republicans will do much better when you learn to govern as well as you play politics.

And your game lately has been weak too.

Spector would do anything within his means to keep his seat, a man with no backbone.

You Republicans will do much better when you learn to govern as well as you play politics.

he speaks for comcast and whoever else has chipped in recently.

why shouldn't he keep his seat?

the repub party wants everyone to be a radical right winger.... and they were going to stick it to him by giving him a primary.

when lieberman stuck it to the dems by running as an independent... no one on the repub side was much troubled by it because it kept us from dumping him.

About as fun as watching you seethe and rip your hair out in this thread. Damn, you are really coming apart at the seams. :cuckoo:

ya think?

You should donate to him and maybe he'll listen to you too.

You should donate to him and maybe he'll listen to you too.

why would i want him to? i've got my own two pet asshole senators- i don't need another.

the repub party wants everyone to be a radical right winger.... and they were going to stick it to him by giving him a primary.

Quite the false assumption there, jill

Ah, leave them be. It's quite amusing reading the assumptions made by the left wing loonies on this board. :lol:

you presume both that it's false and that i'm making an assumption.

2. Pennsylvania (R-Specter)
There's been some contradictory polling in Pennsylvania, with Quinnipiac placing conservative challenger Pat Toomey, who would be a heavy underdog in the general election, 14 points ahead of Arlen Specter. Franklin and Marshall, meanwhile, gives Specter a 15-point lead. I don't know that there's any a priori way to say which poll is correct. Polling primaries is intrinsically pretty difficult, and polling races more than a year in advance is intrinsically pretty difficult, which means that polling primaries a year in advance is really difficult. If you simply average the two numbers, you get the Republican primary being a toss-up. Each of these polls, it should be noted, were taken before Specter's intention to vote against the Employee Free Choice Act became known to voters, a position which will presumably help him the primaries while probably harming him with Pennsylvania's fairly union-friendly general electorate.

Let's do some fuzzy math here. Assume that there is a 80 percent chance that Specter's health is such that he chooses to run for re-election. If Specter runs for re-election, there is a50 percent chance that he survives the primary. If he survives the primary, there is a 80 percent chance that he wins the general election, where the Democratic opposition has been a bit disorganized. If he loses the primary, however, or chooses not to run, the Republican nominee (presumably Toomey) will probably only have about a 10 percent chance of retaining the seat for the Republicans. Run all the numbers, and that yields a 62 percent chance that the Democrats pick up the seat. Granted, it's fairly dubious to imply any sort of precision when we're dealing with guesstimates like these. But my impression is that the Democrats' odds in New Hampshire, with Hodes now having the primary field to himself, are a just a touch better than that. Also, Specter's nay vote on EFCA probably eliminates the chances of the Democrats picking this seat up through a party switch.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/04/senate-rankings-april-2009-edition.html

plus, the dems will then owe him H-U-G-E... because it gets rid of the filibuster.

and he won't have to vote against the Employee Free Choice Act just to win a primary.

brilliant political strategy.

Ah, leave them be. It's quite amusing reading the assumptions made by the left wing loonies on this board. :lol:

moron, i'm not a left wing loony... you should really pull your head out of your butt... now be a good boy and go read my last post...

you might actually learn something.

or not.

either way... it makes me no nevermind.

Jill... and you ignore your ASSumption that the party wants everyone to be a "radical right winger"

but nice try

Forum List

Back