Breaking News from Genesis 1:9

Maybe you're only looking as hard as you want to see? He certainly wasn't worshiped by everyone he met, otherwise it's curious that he would say: "Prophets are not without honour, except in their hometown, and among their own kin, and in their own house." (Mark 6:1-6)

You're acting just the Jews in Jesus' hometown. Are you a Jew without faith or one without faith?

When his family heard about this, they went to take charge of him, for they said, “He is out of his mind.

View attachment 313070

smh. The unforgiven.

"So Jesus called them over to him and began to speak to them in parables: “How can Satan drive out Satan? If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. And if Satan opposes himself and is divided, he cannot stand; his end has come. In fact, no one can enter a strong man’s house without first tying him up. Then he can plunder the strong man’s house. Truly I tell you, people can be forgiven all their sins and every slander they utter, but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; they are guilty of an eternal sin.” Mark 3:23-29

Why did you bring this up???!!!???!!! Is this you?
It's not clear what you're trying to say? It seems the Jews Jesus preached to were not convinced by his message and the ones in his family and home town were also not convinced by him.

How is he a shaman when there has been no aliens for over one's lifetime?
Because that is not conclusive evidence, or even evidence at all, that there is no life outside of earth.

thanks for the stupid fucking question.

See, you still have no evidence for aliens. DOTR and I are laughing are asses off at you. You had so many chances to provide it, but it's all sky fairy tale of atheists and evolution.
While you're laughing, remember you have provided no evidence for your partisan version of gods.

It's not polite to point and laugh..... but you bring it upon yourself.

I have. It's just your religion of atheism won't allow you to accept it. It's Satan's Antibible at work as you are tricked and deceived. Otherwise, you'd have the explanations, links, youtubes, books, and more.

Your ".... because I say so" arguments made on behalf of your gods are similar to the " ... because I say so" arguments made by others on behalf of their gods. That might suggest it is you who has the wrong gods.

Other than supported science that has no evidence of magic and supernaturalism extant in nature, what youtubes can you offer as evidence of your version of the gods?

Maybe you're only looking as hard as you want to see? He certainly wasn't worshiped by everyone he met, otherwise it's curious that he would say: "Prophets are not without honour, except in their hometown, and among their own kin, and in their own house." (Mark 6:1-6)

You're acting just the Jews in Jesus' hometown. Are you a Jew without faith or one without faith?

When his family heard about this, they went to take charge of him, for they said, “He is out of his mind.

View attachment 313070

smh. The unforgiven.

"So Jesus called them over to him and began to speak to them in parables: “How can Satan drive out Satan? If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. And if Satan opposes himself and is divided, he cannot stand; his end has come. In fact, no one can enter a strong man’s house without first tying him up. Then he can plunder the strong man’s house. Truly I tell you, people can be forgiven all their sins and every slander they utter, but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; they are guilty of an eternal sin.” Mark 3:23-29

It's not clear what you're trying to say? It seems the Jews Jesus preached to were not convinced by his message and the ones in his family and home town were also not convinced by him.

You didn't read the entire verse. Why did you happen to choose that one to make your stand? Those Jews who rejected Jesus as Messiah were doomed. Many still believe it to this day.

Anyway, I'm moving on.

View attachment 313070

smh. The unforgiven.

You didn't read the entire verse. Why did you happen to choose that one to make your stand? Those Jews who rejected Jesus as Messiah were doomed. Many still believe it to this day.

Anyway, I'm moving on.
My only point was that many of those that knew Jesus best didn't follow him. Moving on...

So what? So some guys wrote some stuff down. Is that supposed to impress us?

It's the Book of Daniel which describes the end of the world and what happens. It should make you take stock of your no Jesus position. TBH, it is allegory and metaphor. People in the past talked about it and discuss what was true and all that. It talks about the dead rising from the grave again and reuniting with the bodies. Today,we find zombie stories and movies are popular. My hero, Blaise Pascal might've just shrugged his shoulders and said...

View attachment 310787
That's called "Pascal's wager." The problem with it? What if you worship the wrong god?

So what? So some guys wrote some stuff down. Is that supposed to impress us?

It's the Book of Daniel which describes the end of the world and what happens. It should make you take stock of your no Jesus position. TBH, it is allegory and metaphor. People in the past talked about it and discuss what was true and all that. It talks about the dead rising from the grave again and reuniting with the bodies. Today,we find zombie stories and movies are popular. My hero, Blaise Pascal might've just shrugged his shoulders and said...

View attachment 310787
That's called "Pascal's wager." The problem with it? What if you worship the wrong god?

You get Final Judgement and cast into the Lake of Fire. The rest isn't clear as it is allegory. I think you reap what you sow and relive moments like in the movie Groundhog Day, but don't have a chance to correct. That would be frustrating, i.e. gnashing of teeth..

"Breaking News from Genesis 1:9"

Breaking news? Is there another new bible with a revised version of the Genesis fable?

Genesis describes the Earth 3.2 billion years ago?

Our time is not God's time...

2 Peter 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Psalm 90:4 For in Your sight a thousand years are but a day that passes, or a watch of the night.

That is true - we actually do not know exactly how long each creative day was or even if they are all the same length of time. In the second equation in Psalms 90:4 if the watch during the night was 3 hours, this would then equate to 1 day = 8,000 years. We used to believe they were 7,000 years long - but actually the Bible does not say.

But the question is moot as to primordial earth being covered with water (and in darkness) since Genesis 1:2 is BEFORE the first creative day.

Can I help it if science backs up the Bible once again?
Science often backs up the Bible but what happens when it does not? Geologists consider it a settled matter that the Earth is billions of years old because that is what the evidence points to. Do you believe them or do you believe the Bible?

We (Jehovah's Witnesses) believe in both the Bible and science - both are sources of truth when the observations are accurately interpreted. The Bible does not say how old planet earth is. Genesis 1:1 is BEFORE the first creative day (whose length of time is also not specified in the Bible). From our literature:

Excerpt:

"Scientists estimate that the earth is about 4 billion years old and that the universe was born some 13 to 14 billion years ago. The Bible sets no date for the creation of the universe. In no place does it affirm that the earth is only a few thousand years old. The very first verse in the Bible reads: “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” (Genesis 1:1) That general statement allows scientists to determine the age of the physical world according to sound scientific principles."

2 Peter 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Psalm 90:4 For in Your sight a thousand years are but a day that passes, or a watch of the night.

That is true - we actually do not know exactly how long each creative day was or even if they are all the same length of time. In the second equation in Psalms 90:4 if the watch during the night was 3 hours, this would then equate to 1 day = 8,000 years. We used to believe they were 7,000 years long - but actually the Bible does not say.

But the question is moot as to primordial earth being covered with water (and in darkness) since Genesis 1:2 is BEFORE the first creative day.

No, it isn't true as described in Genesis. In Genesis, one day = 24 hours. Peter is discussing the prophecy of the return of Jesus the Lord. Remember, I said that prophecies are described as allegory and metaphor such as the narrow gate and door referring to Jesus. It means the time described is allegorical. During Jesus' second coming, the believers know it is to deliver His people. Thus, Peter tells the persecuted believers, i.e. Christians, that the scoffers will come and mock the idea that the Lord will return.

The atheists and scoffers will say Jesus has been gone a long time; Is he ever coming back :tongue:? Thus, Peter says it to the believers the way he does. Remember prophecy is allegorical and metaphor. The rest of the Bible should be read literally. The atheists mix things up and are wrong as they usually are. Atheists are usually wrong.

Peter tells the persecuted believers, i.e. Christians, that the scoffers will come and mock the idea that the Lord will return.
I don't know if he'll come back but he certainly was wrong about when. He told people of his own time that many would not taste death before the end times. Not surprising since he was an apocalyptic Jew who believed he was living in the end of this time. A belief he shared with Paul.

No, it isn't true as described in Genesis. In Genesis, one day = 24 hours. Peter is discussing the prophecy of the return of Jesus the Lord. Remember, I said that prophecies are described as allegory and metaphor such as the narrow gate and door referring to Jesus. It means the time described is allegorical. During Jesus' second coming, the believers know it is to deliver His people. Thus, Peter tells the persecuted believers, i.e. Christians, that the scoffers will come and mock the idea that the Lord will return.

The atheists and scoffers will say Jesus has been gone a long time; Is he ever coming back :tongue:? Thus, Peter says it to the believers the way he does. Remember prophecy is allegorical and metaphor. The rest of the Bible should be read literally. The atheists mix things up and are wrong as they usually are. Atheists are usually wrong.

First of all, it is scientifically proven the creative days could not be 24 hours each - for example the deposition of earth's crustal carbonates by the geologic carbon cycle.

Moses wrote both Genesis and the 90th Psalm - the latter shows God's concept of time compared with that of us earthlings:

Psalms 90:4
For a thousand years are in your eyes just as yesterday when it is past,+Just as a watch during the night.

Peter tells the persecuted believers, i.e. Christians, that the scoffers will come and mock the idea that the Lord will return.
I don't know if he'll come back but he certainly was wrong about when. He told people of his own time that many would not taste death before the end times. Not surprising since he was an apocalyptic Jew who believed he was living in the end of this time. A belief he shared with Paul.
You are both misquoting and ignoring the context wherein they saw Jesus in the kingdom in the transfiguration vision.

Matthew 16:28-17:9
Truly I say to you that there are some of those standing here who will not taste death at all until first they see the Son of man coming in his Kingdom.”+
17 Six days later Jesus took Peter and James and his brother John along and led them up into a lofty mountain by themselves.+ 2 And he was transfigured before them; his face shone as the sun, and his outer garments became brilliant* as the light.+ 3 And look! there appeared to them Moses and E·liʹjah conversing with him. 4 Then Peter said to Jesus: “Lord, it is fine for us to be here. If you wish, I will erect three tents here, one for you, one for Moses, and one for E·liʹjah.” 5 While he was still speaking, look! a bright cloud overshadowed them, and look! a voice out of the cloud+ said: “This is my Son, the beloved, whom I have approved.+ Listen to him.”+ 6 At hearing this, the disciples fell facedown and became very much afraid. 7 Then Jesus came near, and touching them, he said: “Get up. Have no fear.” 8 When they looked up, they saw no one but Jesus himself. 9 As they were descending from the mountain, Jesus commanded them: “Tell the vision to no one until the Son of man is raised up from the dead.”+

You are both misquoting and ignoring the context wherein they saw Jesus in the kingdom in the transfiguration vision.

Truly I say to you that there are some of those standing here who will not taste death at all until first they see the Son of man coming in his Kingdom.”+
17 Six days later Jesus took Peter and James and his brother John along and led them up into a lofty mountain by themselves.+ 2 And he was transfigured before them; his face shone as the sun, and his outer garments became brilliant* as the light.+ 3 And look! there appeared to them Moses and E·liʹjah conversing with him. 4 Then Peter said to Jesus: “Lord, it is fine for us to be here. If you wish, I will erect three tents here, one for you, one for Moses, and one for E·liʹjah.” 5 While he was still speaking, look! a bright cloud overshadowed them, and look! a voice out of the cloud+ said: “This is my Son, the beloved, whom I have approved.+ Listen to him.”+ 6 At hearing this, the disciples fell facedown and became very much afraid. 7 Then Jesus came near, and touching them, he said: “Get up. Have no fear.” 8 When they looked up, they saw no one but Jesus himself. 9 As they were descending from the mountain, Jesus commanded them: “Tell the vision to no one until the Son of man is raised up from the dead.”+
I think it is you who are taking Jesus out of his 1st century context. Apocalypticism was a popular belief back then and Jesus was almost certainly a believer, as was John the Baptist and Paul. As for misquoting Jesus, just about everyone does it since he wrote nothing and his teaching were not written down until well after his death, almost certainly by people who never met or heard him speak.

I think it is you who are taking Jesus out of his 1st century context. Apocalypticism was a popular belief back then and Jesus was almost certainly a believer, as was John the Baptist and Paul. As for misquoting Jesus, just about everyone does it since he wrote nothing and his teaching were not written down until well after his death, almost certainly by people who never met or heard him speak.

Do you know about the inspired word of God?

tfm.jpg

Bart Ehrman is a well known blasphemer and needs to bow down face first before the Lord for his words.

I gave references. Where are your references? I will be glad to constructively critique them if you post them.

There is no gap in the history. The apostle John was taught by Jesus, and Polycarp was a student of the apostle John and a Quartodeciman. The oldest papyrus manuscript fragment for the Christian Greek Scriptures (aka NT) is dated to early in the second century - the copy was made about 50 years after the book of John was written.

"A direct pupil of the apostle John, Polycarp lived between 70 and 155 A.D., connecting him to both the biblical apostles and the age of the early church fathers."

"Roman efforts to induce the Quartodecimans to abandon their practice were unsuccessful. On a visit to Rome (c. 155), St. polycarp of smyrna amicably discussed the question with Pope anicetus without, however, reaching agreement. Pope victor (189–198) sought unity through a series of synods held in both East and West; all accepted the Roman practice except the Asiatic bishops. When Victor attempted coercion by excommunication, St. irenaeus of lyons intervened to restore peace (eusebius, Ecclesiastical History 5.23–25). During the third century Quartodecimanism waned; it persisted in some Asiatic communities down to the fifth century."

Jehovah's Witnesses also follow the apostolic teaching of Polycarp and the Quartodecimans, which latter name means "14th-ers" because we/they observed the last supper on Nisan 14. In fact it is our only holy day.
I

I gave references. Where are your references? I will be glad to constructively critique them if you post them.

There is no gap in the history. The apostle John was taught by Jesus, and Polycarp was a student of the apostle John and a Quartodeciman. The oldest papyrus manuscript fragment for the Christian Greek Scriptures (aka NT) is dated to early in the second century - the copy was made about 50 years after the book of John was written.
per your request:
Did Polycarp Meet John the Apostle?
BY RICHARD CARRIER ON OCTOBER 31, 2019

The claim comes up a lot that Polycarp met John—the original Apostle, Disciple of Jesus, Brother to James, the “Pillar” of Galatians 2, He of The Twelve. Enough to warrant a response you can bookmark. The short answer to the question, “Did he?” is no. It’s not likely at any rate. Later legends claimed this. But so far as we can tell, Polycarp himself conspicuously never did.

I gave references. Where are your references?
I suspect alang1216 's references are Ouchy I got a huge California redwood in my eye.
You would be wrong then:
About Dr. Carrier
Richard Carrier is a world-renowned author and speaker. As a professional historian, published philosopher, and prominent defender of the American freethought movement, Dr. Carrier has appeared across the U.S., Canada and the U.K., and on American television and London radio, defending sound historical methods and the ethical worldview of secular naturalism. His books and articles have received international attention. With a Ph.D. from Columbia University in ancient history, he specializes in the intellectual history of Greece and Rome, particularly ancient philosophy, religion, and science, with emphasis on the origins of Christianity and the use and progress of science under the Roman empire.

Forum List

Back