BREAKING NOW: Robin Williams Found Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO depression is for the weak minded and weak willed. Lots of people have bad days, falls on hard times and suffers tragedies in their lives. It takes a strong person to overcome life's hardships.

Clinical depression is not a matter of being weak willed.

If nothing else, this should show you that. One of the funniest men in the world couldn't cheer himself up.

No, real depression is a matter of brain chemistry.

Say's who? Some drug company?

It's bullshit that weak minded people feed into.

Says me, my professors, and this website :)

You & Your Hormones | Glands | Hypothalamus

You can cite as many people as you like it will not change my opinion. Too many people rely on the gullible among you to buy into their silly claims so they can profit from it. They create a new disorder to sell whatever new drug that comes along. They've been doing it for years and you people keep buying what they're selling.

In other words, you don't care about scientific evidence, medical research, and years of clinical testing. You are sticking with your opinion that it is about being weak. lol

You keep believing what you want. I'll stick with the scientific explanations.

Thanks for admitting you're one of the weak minded.

And around 100+ years ago, many believed diabetes was caused by masturbation.......

Then it wouldn't be unreasonable to believe that depression isn't necessarily caused by some chemical imbalance.

It might. Unless there was actual scientific research showing a difference in brain chemistry and that the imbalances cause certain reactions.

Mental illness, depression, and anxiety are real and are rampant in our society. It has nothing to do with "being weak minded". We live in a depressed, anxiety ridden country. Why is that? Says something doesn't it.

It is not rampant.
There are 9.5% of Americans with mental illness. That's 20.9 million out of 317 million Americans.

9.5 diagnosed... how many undiagnosed? About 50 percent of the adults I know are on anti depressants or anxiety meds. And I know a lot of people.

And around 100+ years ago, many believed diabetes was caused by masturbation.......

Then it wouldn't be unreasonable to believe that depression isn't necessarily caused by some chemical imbalance.

No, it is not necessarily a chemical imbalance, that's only one postulation based on known imbalances that can be attributed to other "mental illnesses." Some people are predisposed to depression and substance abuse and we've been looking for answers to that problem for decades. The "weak minded" argument is, and always has been, a simplistic cop out explanation presented by the uneducated, "everyone is like, or should be like me" crowd. That's the explanation of a weak mind. :thup:

Not buying into the bullshit that depression is a mental illness is weak minded? Then I'll happily be weak minded while the rest of you suffer with your delusions.

IMO depression is for the weak minded and weak willed. Lots of people have bad days, falls on hard times and suffers tragedies in their lives. It takes a strong person to overcome life's hardships.

If nothing else, this should show you that. One of the funniest men in the world couldn't cheer himself up.

Why would he resort to drugs and then ultimately kill himself if he wasn't weak.

I liked him in Mork & Mindy, but then I saw him in "THe World According to Garp", and that ruined him for me. It was preachy and I felt beat up and abused when I left. I then tried to watch his stand up but it was just him obsessing about his penis. I liked him in Jumanji, it was a very good movie and he simply played the character, it wasn't what I would consider a "vehicle" for him.

Sad that he died but hey, lots of people die.

Says me, my professors, and this website :)

You & Your Hormones | Glands | Hypothalamus

You can cite as many people as you like it will not change my opinion. Too many people rely on the gullible among you to buy into their silly claims so they can profit from it. They create a new disorder to sell whatever new drug that comes along. They've been doing it for years and you people keep buying what they're selling.

In other words, you don't care about scientific evidence, medical research, and years of clinical testing. You are sticking with your opinion that it is about being weak. lol

I don't buy into research by those that seek to profit.

I don't take much stock into the science of the brain either.

Yes that is my opinion.

It might. Unless there was actual scientific research showing a difference in brain chemistry and that the imbalances cause certain reactions.

Assuming the research is correct and accurate.

So many times we have been told things that was later shown to be false.

How medical science got it exactly wrong on childhood food allergies

How science goes wrong

Why medical science often gets it wrong

No, it is not necessarily a chemical imbalance, that's only one postulation based on known imbalances that can be attributed to other "mental illnesses." Some people are predisposed to depression and substance abuse and we've been looking for answers to that problem for decades. The "weak minded" argument is, and always has been, a simplistic cop out explanation presented by the uneducated, "everyone is like, or should be like me" crowd. That's the explanation of a weak mind. :thup:

Not buying into the bullshit that depression is a mental illness is weak minded? Then I'll happily be weak minded while the rest of you suffer with your delusions.

I have read that depression is anger turned inward. I have also read many comedians suffer from depression and disproportionately so. :dunno:

Why would he resort to drugs and then ultimately kill himself if he wasn't weak.

His brain told him things were hopeless. His illness made seeing a way out impossible.

Is autism just weakness? Is Downs Syndrome just weakness? Is schizophrenia just weakness?

The brain is an organ with chemical reactions powering all it's functions. Any slight imbalance in those chemicals causes major changes. To try and claim that willpower will overcome it is simply inaccurate. It is like claiming that a diabetic is weak if he cannot control his blood sugar.

Assuming the research is correct and accurate.

So many times we have been told things that was later shown to be false.

How medical science got it exactly wrong on childhood food allergies

How science goes wrong

Why medical science often gets it wrong

I agree that medical science can be wrong. But when the scientific evidence shows something to be true, unless you can debunk the evidence, just insisting it is wrong carries no weight at all. You are claiming depression is about being weak, while you have never suffered from clinical depression. If you care to prove your point, I will be happy to change my view. But simply insisting that the medical diagnosis is wrong because medical diagnosis have been wrong in the past is nonsense. You may as well ignore all medical and scientific research.

Yes that is my opinion.
Having read your posts for the last 5 years, I don't think you put much stock into anything brain related.

Yes that is my opinion.

Much of the research is not profit based. In fact, medical researchers rarely make big money.

What training or education do you have that gives you such insight into a documented medical condition? Any degree in a medical field? Any experience in research?

Gee Robin, we wish to be in your place and to live as you have..but we don't, and we don't kill ourselves over it...

Depends on who you mean by "We". There is nothing about celebrity life other than wheelbarrows of money that is appealing to me. I don't form parasocial relationships through the media/public relations mechanisms with people I don't have any interactions with. Celebrities are not my imaginary friends and I do not grieve for strangers just because mass media delivered them into the box in my living room in exchange for some of the coin in the wheelbarrows. Likewise, I don't feel that any part of my life dies when some famous person dies.

That said, depression/addiction are common ailments. Todd Bridges' comments on Robin Willilams' death probably sum it up best.

His brain told him things were hopeless. His illness made seeing a way out impossible.

Is autism just weakness? Is Downs Syndrome just weakness? Is schizophrenia just weakness?

The brain is an organ with chemical reactions powering all it's functions. Any slight imbalance in those chemicals causes major changes. To try and claim that willpower will overcome it is simply inaccurate. It is like claiming that a diabetic is weak if he cannot control his blood sugar.

No, genetic pre dispostion, and in the case of schizoprenia, at least, a viral link. From what I have read and was taught by a few who specialized in the field. (I once represented patients at NE Florida State Hospital, years ago.)

I have read that depression is anger turned inward. I have also read many comedians suffer from depression and disproportionately so. :dunno:
A lot of artists and highly creative / brilliant people in general.

There seems to be a fine line between that high-end creativity and madness for some.

How do you know what his brain told him? How does anyone really know?

Autism and the like is a clear sign of a damaged brain that unfortunate people are born with not some made up illness to justify taking drugs and acting a fool.

Diabetes isn't a mental illness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back