British People: What The Hell is Fish Paste?

In the UK, supermarkets stock jars of sandwich spreads and pastes (all sorts of different flavours)

These are a quick and easy way of making a sandwich, and are ideal for your kid's lunchbox.

I suspect these were invented shortly after World War II, when food was in short supply, and these were a very cheap way of putting some flavour onto your bread and butter.

One of the traditional flavours is 'fish'. Others include chicken, ham, tuna mayo, vegetable, etc.

Although you still see them in the shops, these are pretty much dying out, as they are a very cheap form of paté dating from a time when people couldn't afford good food.

Thank you Bryllig! Are you by any chance related to Slithy Tove?

It's a hangover from wartime rationing. The only people I know of who eat the stuff can't go to toilet by themselves, if that's any help.

Fish Paste

#

* Preparation time: 20 minutes
* Rapid cooking time: 15 minutes

#

* 1 lb. white fish (pollock)
* 1/2 cup arrowroot starch (can be substituted with tapioca starch or cornstarch)
* Egg white from 2 eggs
* 3 ice cubes (about 1-inch square)
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon white pepper

#

* Cut up the fish into 1/2-inch cubes. Put all the ingredients except for the ice cubes in a food processor and blend for about two minutes or until smooth. Then add the ice cubes and continue to blend for another three minutes or so. The paste should be very thick with a lot of elasticity. The finished paste should be very smooth with no solid pieces of fish. Scoop the paste into a bowl and refrigerate for about an hour before using.

It IS mostly a south east Asia type thing. BUt the British do eat a sandwich which uses a version of it, we know that sandwich as a tuna fish sandwich.

I use a fish mousseline as a base to make seafood sausages and raviolis.

You can also make a dumpling out of it to add to chowders and soups.

I think I would pass using it as a sandwich spread though.

Fish Paste

#

#

* 1/2 cup arrowroot starch (can be substituted with tapioca starch or cornstarch)
* Egg white from 2 eggs
* 1 teaspoon salt

#

* Cut up the fish into 1/2-inch cubes. Put all the ingredients except for the ice cubes in a food processor and blend for about two minutes or until smooth. Then add the ice cubes and continue to blend for another three minutes or so. The paste should be very thick with a lot of elasticity. The finished paste should be very smooth with no solid pieces of fish. Scoop the paste into a bowl and refrigerate for about an hour before using.

It IS mostly a south east Asia type thing. BUt the British do eat a sandwich which uses a version of it, we know that sandwich as a tuna fish sandwich.

You can buy it in jars.

Loved it. Can’t get it where I live now.

Just think: you can buy marmite and spotted dick in American supermarkets. What a treat!

Fish Paste

#

#

* Egg white from 2 eggs
* 1 teaspoon salt

#

Sandwich spread. That’s another delicacy.

A question that has bothered me for many years: what the hell is fish paste and why would somebody put it in a sammich?

British People seem to like it - Please 'Splain.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

It's what they use to brush their tooth...

So where did this myth begin? It’s unclear, although Watt says there were American adverts produced during the First World War that made jokes about the teeth of the British, so it goes back at least 100 years. Cartoon connoisseurs will also probably be all too aware of the ghastly teeth drawn onto English characters in modern shows such as the Simpsons and Family Guy, and there are even references to our supposed gross gnashers in some contemporary literature.

Regardless of its roots, pun intended, Watt wanted to put some evidence behind the claim, so in collaboration with researchers from the U.S. and Colombia, a large dataset on teeth was collected and analyzed. The analysis was based on two national surveys, one from the U.S. and one from England, which are conducted every 10 years. These collect information on people’s oral health, with clinical information gathered by dentists, and general feelings about their mouths. People’s perceptions of their teeth were measured using questionnaires specifically developed for this purpose.

Fish Paste

#

#

* Egg white from 2 eggs
* 1 teaspoon salt

#

Anchovy Paste is sold in most grocery stores.

Fish Paste

#

#

* Egg white from 2 eggs
* 1 teaspoon salt

#

Not in Germany. And I had an overwhelming desire for fish paste sandwiches, while shopping today.

Fish Paste

#

#

* Egg white from 2 eggs
* 1 teaspoon salt

#

Not in Germany. And I had an overwhelming desire for fish paste sandwiches, while shopping today.
Have some U.S. soldiers wife get you a jar at the base commissary if one is near you.

Fish Paste

#

#

* Egg white from 2 eggs
* 1 teaspoon salt

#

Have some U.S. soldiers wife get you a jar at the base commissary if one is near you.

I used to have clearance to shop in those places.

Never mind. I can get marmite in my local German store.

A question that has bothered me for many years: what the hell is fish paste and why would somebody put it in a sammich?

British People seem to like it - Please 'Splain.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
It's yummy!!!

Greg

What The Hell is Fish Paste?

It's what you use to get your fish to stay on the wall ...

walleye-fish-mount-36-2.jpg

New Topics

Forum List

Back