British People: What The Hell is Fish Paste?

A question that has bothered me for many years: what the hell is fish paste and why would somebody put it in a sammich?

British People seem to like it - Please 'Splain.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
It's fermented fish, and it usually is asian. The Brits put it between two slices of bread and call it a sandwich. Where I come from the fillings should be the bulk of the sandwich. A fish paste sandwich is like eating a mustard sandwich IMHO.

A question that has bothered me for many years: what the hell is fish paste and why would somebody put it in a sammich?

It's fermented fish, and it usually is asian. The Brits put it between two slices of bread and call it a sandwich. Where I come from the fillings should be the bulk of the sandwich. A fish paste sandwich is like eating a mustard sandwich IMHO.
The Brit and Aussie versions are NOT fermented but I use quite a bit of Asian fish paste in my cooking. Top stuff BOTH....in their own ways.

Looks like this:

1618910971658.png

Greg

The Brit and Aussie versions are NOT fermented but I use quite a bit of Asian fish paste in my cooking. Top stuff BOTH....in their own ways.

Looks like this:

View attachment 481957

Greg
I do admit I just assumed it was a similar preparation, they both smell rotted to me.

It's yummy!!!

Greg

I call shenanigans. Nothing called fish paste could possibly be "yummy".

Hmmmmm..being part Scandahoovian myself, this sounds like a close relation of Lutefisk (dehydrate dcod reconstituted with lye). Nasty disgusting stuff, imho,

BTW, I love it when obscure threads of mine from over a decade ago get bumped!

Looks like this:

View attachment 481957

Greg
That picture reminds me of ham salad...which makes me want a ham salad sandwich

Hmmmmm..being part Scandahoovian myself, this sounds like a close relation of Lutefisk (dehydrate dcod reconstituted with lye). Nasty disgusting stuff, imho,
I have never tried it. I try to keep the lye content of my diet as low as possible.

It's yummy!!!

Greg

I am just a little bloke on the other side of the world; what would I know???
....and I like vegemite...........
and fish paste IS yummy.

...so are mangrove worms......

YUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greg

It’s called understatement.

We like jam (jelly to you) sandwiches also.

It's yummy!!!

Greg

and fish paste IS yummy.

Greg

Would you believe, the Germans do fish paste too. Discovered it last week in the supermarket.

Wasn’t too bad.

I've spent time in and around london, "understatement" is an understatement when discussing english food.

I've spent time in and around london, "understatement" is an understatement when discussing english food.

The National dish is chicken tikka and chips.

Kinda funny that england's national dish is indian cuisine.

The Empire, you know.

I have never tried it. I try to keep the lye content of my diet as low as possible.

I will not lie, I dislike the lye.

It's yummy!!!

Greg

and fish paste IS yummy.

Greg

So do your women glow and do you plunder?

The Empire, you know.
Just sayin' it's not traditional english food.

Forum List

Back