Brittany Maynard ended her own life before her tumor could rob her of it

I will repeat,and I know this to be true from personal experience,until you hear the Doc say those words ,you can only think you know what you would or wouldn't do.its that simple.

I have been told I had a very deadly form of breast cancer. No it wasn't stage four and it wasn't hopeless.

I know what I would do if the cancer returned and it was hopeless. I live in a state that has the same law Oregon has and I would use it.

If you've ever seen anyone go through all the stages and die from cancer, like I have with my dad, you would understand my choice.

I support what that woman did and I completely understand why she did it. I would have done the same thing.

So what's the aftermath here? Let's see....Bull vs. what TEN little atheists and guess who's left standing?
Next time maybe I'll use the nuclear option a little quicker.

implosion.gif

When one is engaged in using his or her religious values to tell and make another what he or she thinks is best, then, yes, that is a form of sharia.

That invalidates almost the entire liberal world view. Now what will liberals do?

A person wanting to commit suicide because their girlfriend or boyfriend broke up with them is wrong. But someone wanting to commit suicide to avoid the horrors that their terminal disease will bring them is not wrong. Using your religious beliefs to stop them is what is wrong.

Why is suicide due to depression wrong but suicide to avoid pain associated with terminal disease OK?

There's the commandment thou shalt not kill which arguably can be extended to the self as well as others.

If you are willing to go that direction then 'thou shalt not kill' would certainly also apply to the death penalty and soldiers in war.

I think it applies to murder.

Are we Americans living in a secular society, or are you espousing Christian Sharia?

There's nothing "sharia" about Christian law, asshole....no Christian wants to behead you for drinking a beer or laughing at God. Take a look where our "secular society" has gotten us. You can scream at me but I didn't make the rules or always follow them until I got the Word. If you knew anything about my life you'd know only God could have saved me from death so many times. Comes a point in every person's life they take stock of their close calls....some call it luck but I know better.

And if you want to follow your faith, that is all well and good.

But you do not have the right to make laws governing others based solely on your religious beliefs.

Really? Maybe you should check out who the Founders were and what they said about law and justice. I'm not suggesting that suicidal people should be fined or jailed. All I'm saying is that your kind is willing to accept their horrible decision as somehow okay....okay for who? you? You ain't a Christian so shut the fuck up about our rules.

You, based on your language and spirit, clearly do not know the Lord and Savior.

Counsel yourself before you counsel others, friend.

We ain't friends asshole.

Wow....such a Christian.......

But I say, if you are even angry with someone,e you are subject to judgment! If you call someone an idiot,f you are in danger of being brought before the court. And if you curse someone,g you are in danger of the fires of hell.h

You have heard the law that says, ‘Love your neighbor’r and hate your enemy.44But I say, love your enemies!s Pray for those who persecute you!45In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike.46If you love only those who love you, what reward is there for that? Even corrupt tax collectors do that much.47If you are kind only to your friends,t how are you different from anyone else? Even pagans do that.48But you are to be perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect.

She had second thoughts and expressed a change of heart. It's my opinion she was pressured into this. It's a shame, nothing noble

She never expressed second thoughts about ending her own life before the final stages. She expressed second thoughts about when she would do it.

What is a shame is when society insists people go thru horrible pain, loss of dignity, and terrible symptoms, just so we can feel that we are preventing a death. We aren't. We are making their life worse.
Mincing words doesn't help you.

She expressed she was not ready. Period.

No..she did that to keep reporters off of her front porch. Think.

A person wanting to commit suicide because their girlfriend or boyfriend broke up with them is wrong. But someone wanting to commit suicide to avoid the horrors that their terminal disease will bring them is not wrong. Using your religious beliefs to stop them is what is wrong.

Why is suicide due to depression wrong but suicide to avoid pain associated with terminal disease OK?

Why is suicide to avoid pain and misery associated with terminal disease wrong?

Depression is recognized as a usually temporary mental condition- suicide would be a very permanent solution for a temporary problem- a problem that in and of itself could lead to judgement impairment.

But suicide for someone who is terminal? That is just moving up the end date of 'terminal', and giving the person control of when- and how that terminal condition ends. The law requires that the person be mentally competent in order to make that decision- something a depressed person would not be.

So why is suicide to avoid pain and misery associated with terminal disease wrong?

Why should government tell a person that they can't end their own life?

Depression is recognized as a usually temporary mental condition- suicide would be a very permanent solution for a temporary problem- a problem that in and of itself could lead to judgement impairment.

But suicide for someone who is terminal? That is just moving up the end date of 'terminal', and giving the person control of when- and how that terminal condition ends. The law requires that the person be mentally competent in order to make that decision- something a depressed person would not be.

So why is suicide to avoid pain and misery associated with terminal disease wrong?

Your reasoning is incoherent. Allow me to modify your last question:

Why should government tell a depressed person, or any person for that matter, that they can't end their own life?​

When one is engaged in using his or her religious values to tell and make another what he or she thinks is best, then, yes, that is a form of sharia.

That invalidates almost the entire liberal world view. Now what will liberals do?

That makes no sense.
You're trying to say Kurtz and his Authoritarian arrogance represent Liberalism?

I'm saying that Liberalism operates just like a religion. Religion is merely a category of ideology, one which appeals to mysticism. Remove the condition of mysticism and Liberalism is all about telling people what to do based on liberal views of what is best.

Your reasoning is incoherent. Allow me to modify your last question:

Why should government tell a depressed person, or any person for that matter, that they can't end their own life?​

Why won't you answer the question? Or are you unable to?

That makes no sense.
You're trying to say Kurtz and his Authoritarian arrogance represent Liberalism?

I'm saying that Liberalism operates just like a religion. Religion is merely a category of ideology, one which appeals to mysticism. Remove the condition of mysticism and Liberalism is all about telling people what to do based on liberal views of what is best.

Bullshit.
Political philosophies aren't religions, and nothing about Liberalism is about "telling people what to do". That's called Authoritarianism. Liberalism is the opposite.

Kurtz is the former-- an Authoritarian. He claims to speak for "God" and wants the State to enforce his fantasies of dominance.
And as a Liberal I say: Fuck that.

That makes no sense.

Yeah....like those great liberal notions of telling people how they are able to legally have sex, and which drugs that they are legally allowed to consume.

Conservatives of course never tell people what to do based upon conservative'/religious views of what is best.....lol.

That makes no sense.

Bullshit.
Political philosophies aren't religions, and nothing about Liberalism is about "telling people what to do". That's called Authoritarianism. Liberalism is the opposite.

Kurtz is the former-- an Authoritarian. He claims to speak for "God" and wants the State to enforce his fantasies of dominance.
And as a Liberal I say: Fuck that.

Take your comedy act on the road, you'll clean up. Liberalism is the opposite of authoritarianism, yeah, that's a knee slapper.

Forum List

Back