Brittany Maynard ended her own life before her tumor could rob her of it

She had second thoughts and expressed a change of heart. It's my opinion she was pressured into this. It's a shame, nothing noble

Really?

The woman who couldn't have been more public about her decision, and who had the support of her family and her husband.

Who do you imagine was pressuring her into moving to Oregon in order to chose to end her life?
I've been pretty clear.

She made a publicity play of her own death for a cause, not for her peace if mind. Changing the date would have had complications for the groups actively supporting such suicides. Her death is a win for such advocacy groups. She isn't that unique
She had second thoughts and expressed a change of heart. It's my opinion she was pressured into this. It's a shame, nothing noble

She never expressed second thoughts about ending her own life before the final stages. She expressed second thoughts about when she would do it.

What is a shame is when society insists people go thru horrible pain, loss of dignity, and terrible symptoms, just so we can feel that we are preventing a death. We aren't. We are making their life worse.
Mincing words doesn't help you.

She expressed she was not ready. Period.

No..she did that to keep reporters off of her front porch. Think.
:lol: sure. We know how much she hated the spotlight

So what's the aftermath here? Let's see....Bull vs. what TEN little atheists and guess who's left standing?
Next time maybe I'll use the nuclear option a little quicker.

implosion.gif
You keep telling your bad self that. :itsok:

When one is engaged in using his or her religious values to tell and make another what he or she thinks is best, then, yes, that is a form of sharia.

That invalidates almost the entire liberal world view. Now what will liberals do?

That makes no sense.
You're trying to say Kurtz and his Authoritarian arrogance represent Liberalism?

I'm saying that Liberalism operates just like a religion. Religion is merely a category of ideology, one which appeals to mysticism. Remove the condition of mysticism and Liberalism is all about telling people what to do based on liberal views of what is best.

Yeah....like those great liberal notions of telling people how they are able to legally have sex, and which drugs that they are legally allowed to consume.

Check out how the State mandates "correct" behavior in the bedrooms of college students. "Enthusiastic consent" at every escalation of intimacy.

Really?

The woman who couldn't have been more public about her decision, and who had the support of her family and her husband.

Who do you imagine was pressuring her into moving to Oregon in order to chose to end her life?
I've been pretty clear.

She made a publicity play of her own death for a cause, not for her peace if mind. Changing the date would have had complications for the groups actively supporting such suicides. Her death is a win for such advocacy groups. Assisted suicide ist

So in other words, this is just a fantasy in your mind.

Yes- she publicized her death for a purpose- but she also was very clear- always- that she did this for her peace of mind:

In April, I learned that not only had my tumor come back, but it was more aggressive. Doctors gave me a prognosis of six months to live.

Because my tumor is so large, doctors prescribed full brain radiation. I read about the side effects: The hair on my scalp would have been singed off. My scalp would be left covered with first-degree burns. My quality of life, as I knew it, would be gone.

After months of research, my family and I reached a heartbreaking conclusion: There is no treatment that would save my life, and the recommended treatments would have destroyed the time I had left.

I considered passing away in hospice care at my San Francisco Bay-area home. But even with palliative medication, I could develop potentially morphine-resistant pain and suffer personality changes and verbal, cognitive and motor loss of virtually any kind.

141007142325-maynard-and-her-husband-headshot-left-tease.jpg

Brittany Maynard and Dan Diaz

141014144803-nr-brittany-maynard-opens-up-on-interview-00003206-story-body.jpg
Brittany Maynard: I don't want to die
Because the rest of my body is young and healthy, I am likely to physically hang on for a long time even though cancer is eating my mind. I probably would have suffered in hospice care for weeks or even months. And my family would have had to watch that.

I did not want this nightmare scenario for my family, so I started researching death with dignity. It is an end-of-life option for mentally competent, terminally ill patients with a prognosis of six months or less to live. It would enable me to use the medical practice of aid in dying: I could request and receive a prescription from a physician for medication that I could self-ingest to end my dying process if it becomes unbearable.

I quickly decided that death with dignity was the best option for me and my family.

I would not tell anyone else that he or she should choose death with dignity. My question is: Who has the right to tell me that I don't deserve this choice? That I deserve to suffer for weeks or months in tremendous amounts of physical and emotional pain? Why should anyone have the right to make that choice for me?

When my suffering becomes too great, I can say to all those I love, "I love you; come be by my side, and come say goodbye as I pass into whatever's next." I will die upstairs in my bedroom with my husband, mother, stepfather and best friend by my side and pass peacefully. I can't imagine trying to rob anyone else of that choice.

Now- feel free to show anything other than your fantasy about her being pressured into anything.

When one is engaged in using his or her religious values to tell and make another what he or she thinks is best, then, yes, that is a form of sharia.

That invalidates almost the entire liberal world view. Now what will liberals do?

That makes no sense.
You're trying to say Kurtz and his Authoritarian arrogance represent Liberalism?

I'm saying that Liberalism operates just like a religion. Religion is merely a category of ideology, one which appeals to mysticism. Remove the condition of mysticism and Liberalism is all about telling people what to do based on liberal views of what is best.

Yeah....like those great liberal notions of telling people how they are able to legally have sex, and which drugs that they are legally allowed to consume.

Check out how the State mandates "correct" behavior in the bedrooms of college students. "Enthusiastic consent" at every escalation of intimacy.

Check out how Louisiana Republicans fought to preserve sodomy laws, so that law enforcement could bust adults having consensual sex.

That makes no sense.

Check out how Louisiana Republicans fought to preserve sodomy laws, so that law enforcement could bust adults having consensual sex.

Are there such laws now? Liberals are the new Puritans. You know how Democrats like to tell everyone that the parties switched positions on racism, well that fib finally finds a place where it becomes true - liberals are the new sexual prudes, using law to control the behaviors of consenting adults having sex.

Really?

I've been pretty clear.

She made a publicity play of her own death for a cause, not for her peace if mind. Changing the date would have had complications for the groups actively supporting such suicides. Her death is a win for such advocacy groups. Assisted suicide ist

So in other words, this is just a fantasy in your mind.

Yes- she publicized her death for a purpose- but she also was very clear- always- that she did this for her peace of mind:

In April, I learned that not only had my tumor come back, but it was more aggressive. Doctors gave me a prognosis of six months to live.

Because my tumor is so large, doctors prescribed full brain radiation. I read about the side effects: The hair on my scalp would have been singed off. My scalp would be left covered with first-degree burns. My quality of life, as I knew it, would be gone.

After months of research, my family and I reached a heartbreaking conclusion: There is no treatment that would save my life, and the recommended treatments would have destroyed the time I had left.

I considered passing away in hospice care at my San Francisco Bay-area home. But even with palliative medication, I could develop potentially morphine-resistant pain and suffer personality changes and verbal, cognitive and motor loss of virtually any kind.

141007142325-maynard-and-her-husband-headshot-left-tease.jpg

Brittany Maynard and Dan Diaz

141014144803-nr-brittany-maynard-opens-up-on-interview-00003206-story-body.jpg
Brittany Maynard: I don't want to die
Because the rest of my body is young and healthy, I am likely to physically hang on for a long time even though cancer is eating my mind. I probably would have suffered in hospice care for weeks or even months. And my family would have had to watch that.

I did not want this nightmare scenario for my family, so I started researching death with dignity. It is an end-of-life option for mentally competent, terminally ill patients with a prognosis of six months or less to live. It would enable me to use the medical practice of aid in dying: I could request and receive a prescription from a physician for medication that I could self-ingest to end my dying process if it becomes unbearable.

I quickly decided that death with dignity was the best option for me and my family.

I would not tell anyone else that he or she should choose death with dignity. My question is: Who has the right to tell me that I don't deserve this choice? That I deserve to suffer for weeks or months in tremendous amounts of physical and emotional pain? Why should anyone have the right to make that choice for me?

When my suffering becomes too great, I can say to all those I love, "I love you; come be by my side, and come say goodbye as I pass into whatever's next." I will die upstairs in my bedroom with my husband, mother, stepfather and best friend by my side and pass peacefully. I can't imagine trying to rob anyone else of that choice.

Now- feel free to show anything other than your fantasy about her being pressured into anything.
She had a change of heart just a few days ago.

It's just my opinion. Longwinded rude posts won't change it.

That makes no sense.

Bullshit.
Political philosophies aren't religions, and nothing about Liberalism is about "telling people what to do". That's called Authoritarianism. Liberalism is the opposite.

Kurtz is the former-- an Authoritarian. He claims to speak for "God" and wants the State to enforce his fantasies of dominance.
And as a Liberal I say: Fuck that.

Take your comedy act on the road, you'll clean up. Liberalism is the opposite of authoritarianism, yeah, that's a knee slapper.

Maybe you should learn your terms before you engage and then find you have nothing but appeal to ridicule.

>> Liberalism first became a distinct political movement during the Age of Enlightenment, when it became popular among philosophers and economists in the Western world. Liberalism rejected the notions, common at the time, of hereditary privilege, state religion, absolute monarchy, and the Divine Right of Kings. The 17th-century philosopher John Locke is often credited with founding liberalism as a distinct philosophical tradition. Locke argued that each man has a natural right to life, liberty and property[7] and according to the social contract, governments must not violate these rights. Liberals opposed traditional conservatism and sought to replace absolutism in government with representative democracy and the rule of law.

The revolutionaries of the Glorious Revolution, American Revolution, segments of the French Revolution, and other liberal revolutionaries from that time used liberal philosophy to justify the armed overthrow of what they saw as tyrannical rule. The 19th century saw liberal governments established in nations across Europe, Spanish America, and North America.[8] In this period, the dominant ideological opponent of classical liberalism was classical conservatism. << -- Duh Innernet

Clearly Kurtz ain't no Liberal.​

[QUOTE=" On the other hand, the worst pain is still better than the best being dead.[/QUOTE]

Well now just how would anyone know that ? Have you ever had a part of your body ache so bad that you knew if you were an animal that you would be gnawing that part off ?? Constant severe pain can make one very tired of being alive.

I salute your service. But smashing a stolen motorcycle headlong into a car driven by an innocent civilian has nothing to do with the Tet Offensive. It does have to do with a reckless, irresponsible attitude.

No you don't "salute my service" because if you did you'd realize what I might have learned from it. How dense are you or in need of conversation to think I'd have any desire to "run headlong into a car" on my stolen Ducati? The whole purpose would be to try to make it to the mountains not commit suicide. If I were killed it would be from speed and obstacles not my steering into oblivion. You have obviously never lived on the edge....me? I always liked it out there.

Nice backpedaling. But in your original description you said "...knowing a car or a guardrail might bring about my end...". So you would be running wide open, knowing that you might well hit another car. Even if you didn't, your recklessness could very well CAUSE an accident when someone takes evasive action to avoid hitting you. So you won't commit suicide, but you don't mind risking the lives of others in the hopes that God will save you?

lmao The first 4 letters of your moniker are very appropriate.

Maybe you should learn your terms before you engage and then find you have nothing but appeal to ridicule.

>> Liberalism first became a distinct political movement during the Age of Enlightenment, when it became popular among philosophers and economists in the Western world. Liberalism rejected the notions, common at the time, of hereditary privilege, state religion, absolute monarchy, and the Divine Right of Kings. The 17th-century philosopher John Locke is often credited with founding liberalism as a distinct philosophical tradition. Locke argued that each man has a natural right to life, liberty and property[7] and according to the social contract, governments must not violate these rights. Liberals opposed traditional conservatism and sought to replace absolutism in government with representative democracy and the rule of law.

The revolutionaries of the Glorious Revolution, American Revolution, segments of the French Revolution, and other liberal revolutionaries from that time used liberal philosophy to justify the armed overthrow of what they saw as tyrannical rule. The 19th century saw liberal governments established in nations across Europe, Spanish America, and North America.[8] In this period, the dominant ideological opponent of classical liberalism was classical conservatism. << -- Duh Innernet

And Gay used to mean happy. Definitions change. The liberalism we know today has little to do with historical liberalism. Speech codes, for Pete's sakes, not to mention stomping on human rights.

Liberalism began as a rejection of state religion and in turn became a state religion.

Untill one finds themselves in a position like that,ya just can't say what you would do.We can guess all we want,until you hear words,like stage four and terminal directed at you its pure speculation.Cancer is a horrible thing,I hope she and her family have found comfort.

I'm a combat Vet.....I don't speculate....I know.

You have no idea what pain this woman has suffered or what other physical manifestations her tumor has caused. Being a combat veteran is great, and I thank you for your service. But to assume you know what a brain tumor does, without having had one, is simply arrogance on an astounding level.

Why is suicide wrong period. So I guess then that there is no right to die. Of course that anti suicide sentiment comes from a time when there weren't many people in the world. I've always found the idea of prosecuting someone for a successful suicide somewhat intriguing.

Are we Americans living in a secular society, or are you espousing Christian Sharia?

There's nothing "sharia" about Christian law, asshole....no Christian wants to behead you for drinking a beer or laughing at God. Take a look where our "secular society" has gotten us. You can scream at me but I didn't make the rules or always follow them until I got the Word. If you knew anything about my life you'd know only God could have saved me from death so many times. Comes a point in every person's life they take stock of their close calls....some call it luck but I know better.

And if you want to follow your faith, that is all well and good.

But you do not have the right to make laws governing others based solely on your religious beliefs.
But that fact won't stop most conservatives from trying anyway.

A person wanting to commit suicide because their girlfriend or boyfriend broke up with them is wrong. But someone wanting to commit suicide to avoid the horrors that their terminal disease will bring them is not wrong. Using your religious beliefs to stop them is what is wrong.

Why is suicide due to depression wrong but suicide to avoid pain associated with terminal disease OK?

Because depression is treatable.

A person wanting to commit suicide because their girlfriend or boyfriend broke up with them is wrong. But someone wanting to commit suicide to avoid the horrors that their terminal disease will bring them is not wrong. Using your religious beliefs to stop them is what is wrong.

Why is suicide due to depression wrong but suicide to avoid pain associated with terminal disease OK?

So what?

That makes no sense.

Liberalism is a political ideology. Religion, as this Liberal practices it, is a beacon in the fog. Religion is faith in a higher power, love of one's fellow man, respect for virtue and an abiding love in God.

Whenever a Conservative tries to tell us how a Liberal thinks or what a Liberal believes in, they reveal two essential flaws in the way they acquired and rationalizes their own political outlook.

First, they show that there was misinformation, obfuscation, propaganda and a lack of curiosity when they first adopted Conservatism as their cup of political tea.

And their rationalization carries so much projection, it won't fit into the overhead compartment. And it hardly fits in their intrahead compartment either.

So what?

So, there is a difference between hastening an inevitable event by a short time and ending a life that can be lived fully.

Forum List

Back