Bullying Pulpit: Racism, Barack Obama and the Selective Call for Personal Responsibil

Tim Wise » Bullying Pulpit: Racism, Barack Obama and the Selective Call for Personal Responsibility

"..... if the President thought it necessary to upbraid this year’s Morehouse graduates about not being lazy or using racism as an excuse for their shortcomings, because he thinks (or perhaps knows) that white folks love that shit — then that too is pitiable.
First, that Barack Obama sometimes seems to think he still needs to go out of his way to please white people is maddening. The white folks open to liking him don’t need him to serve as black folks’ moral scold, and the ones who need that will never be satisfied until he does the full Herman Cain: which is to say, until he is prepared to basically lay all the problems of the nation at the feet of folks of color and sing Negro spirituals in white churches while little old white ladies, either literally or figuratively, rub his head.
To the extent the president no longer needs white folks to like him for the sake of re-election, that he regularly panders to our biases about the black community — as with his repeated lectures to black men, but only black men, on multiple father’s days to be better dads (cuz God knows white men need no similar instruction!) — suggests that perhaps it is he whose views of the black community are to blame here. Perhaps it is he who has internalized the idea that black people, even highly educated ones, are would-be malingerers, just waiting for a reason to go soft and “blame the world for trying to keep a black man down” (yes, he actually used that phrase in his speech).
Needless to say, Barack Obama will never tell white people at a traditionally white college or university to stop blaming affirmative action for every job we didn’t get, or every law school we didn’t get into, though we’ve been known to use both of these excuses on more than a few occasions.
He won’t tell white graduates at a traditionally white college or university to stop blaming Latino/a immigrants, for “taking our jobs,” which excuse we’ve also been known to float from time to time.
He would never tell graduates at a mostly white college to stop blaming immigrants, or so-called welfare for our supposedly high tax burdens, even though these remain popular, albeit incorrect, scapegoats for whatever taxes we pay.
He won’t tell white grads at white colleges to reject the entreaties of their right-wing radio hosts and talking heads, who keep blaming the Community Reinvestment Act and other fair housing laws for the mortgage and larger economic meltdown, even though such things were not to blame. In short, to Barack Obama, it is only black people who need lectures about personal responsibility. Only they who make excuses when things don’t go their way. Only they who need to be reminded to do their best, because white graduates — like the majority of the grads at Ohio State to whom he also spoke recently — have got all that on lock. Their work ethics are unassailable. They would never make excuses for their failings. They would never blame a 35 percent tax rate, or capital gains taxes, for instance, for causing them to not invest their money, or create jobs. They would never blame gay marriage for threatening their own heterosexual marriage.
Because white people never make excuses for anything."

Ain't that some shit? And the reality is that I am not totally enamored with President Obama. I'm absolutely tired and over the coddling he seems to think is necessary for "white America". They don't like his ass, no way, and Stephin Fetchit-like, he caters to them, as if he needed their blessing to do any mf'ing thing. Nothing boils my blood or ass, more. They are not going to willingly lay flowers on your grave. Get over it. And be the fucking president, with no excuses.

Why aren't you totally enamored with the Hussein? Is it because he is Mulatto?

You are right about one thing, white people don't need to be "coddled" by him, just the liberal white people do. The rest of us certainly don't need a politician, much less a Marxist loving D-bag like Obama, to tell us anything. As far as I am concerned, we'd all be better off if he just shut the doors and went back to snorting coke the rest of his term.

Not exactly...I'm a staunch Democrat, and would vote for any Democratic Presidential candidate....and did. Again, I'm not hung up on race or color, like many here. And sorry, but you don't and can't speak for any liberal whites, not being one. And all of your references to "Marxism" and D-bag, are "code". Went back to snorting coke? You mean like George W. Bush??? LOLOLOL

xxxxxxx

who cares? Can you answer that question definitively? Who on god's creation cares? You are trapped in the civil rights era bud. Instead of being racially discriminated against, you are doing the discrimination.

stupid bitch....i'm more progressive than you'll ever be. I'm 60 years old, with a 35 year old persona. You better ask somebody.
I'm doing the discrimination? Well then, that would make you the perennial victim, now wouldn't it? Poor white people. Who's gonna save 'em?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your world view is black and white and has the breadth and depth of the average sidewalk puddle. Congratulations.

No, darling....it's your limited perception that has you thinking that way. I'm a progressive, and a world citizen. And your avatar looks like an escapee from a mental institution, who is late for his medication. LOL

Using the pigment of your skin as a bully pulpit is childish and shallow.

Obama's mother was WHITE. In your racist mind, that makes Obama only 50% black, which means that only HALF of Obama has been discriminated against, right?

Grow up, old man.

Please. You're pretending that the "one drop rule" doesn't apply. "Back in the day", if you had "one drop of negro blood" you were considered "black". Like people acknowledge President Obama ( not "Obama") as a mulatto, instead of "black". Apparently, he took the advice of those he's had to deal with and identified as an "African-American" on the last census.
Not my call, neither brands me as a racist. Grow up? Sorry, but I haven't taken commands from white people for going on 20 years now.

Poet are you so shallow that you're incapable of posting about things BEYOND race? Every fucking post you make is grounded in race in some fashion.

You're black, we get it.

Just reflecting your preoccupation with it. Everything is about race, for you white right wing nuts.

I agree with you, Poet. Obama needs to stand for something, I had hoped he'd end the damned wars and at least close the travesty that is Guantanamo. I had hoped that with his election the country might actually start to get over the racial divide that has plagued us for 200 years.

See what I get for hoping?

No hope. No change. No nothing.

Nothing having to do with the Republican Congress, blocking his initiatives at every turn, is it?

I agree with you, Poet. Obama needs to stand for something, I had hoped he'd end the damned wars and at least close the travesty that is Guantanamo. I had hoped that with his election the country might actually start to get over the racial divide that has plagued us for 200 years.

See what I get for hoping?

No hope. No change. No nothing.

That's what you get for believing the lying POS.

I had hope when he was elected. Mostly for the idea that he could usher in a post racial attitude.

Poet is proof of that failure.

No, bitch, you're not laying that burden on me....go look into the nearest mirror to find the answer to that assertion.

Who cares? Can you answer that question definitively? Who on God's creation cares? You are trapped in the Civil Rights era bud. Instead of being racially discriminated against, you are doing the discrimination.

Stupid Bitch....I'm more progressive than you'll ever be. I'm 60 years old, with a 35 year old persona. You better ask somebody.
I'm doing the discrimination? Well then, that would make you the perennial victim, now wouldn't it? Poor white people. Who's gonna save 'em?

Unlike people with your mentality most whites will save themselves rather than waiting around crying like a child Hoping someone else will do Iit for them.

And your persona is what others perceive of you. I think bitter old relic of the past is a better description

BS. Where is the proof of that? And what, pray tell, have I asked someone to do for me?>
And I don't need for you to explain things for me....I'm the one with the I.Q. higher than yours.

Yup and he's another one who thinks anyone who disagrees with the current jackass in the WH is a racist.

Shit. I don't care what color jackass is. He's still a jackass.

Really? Can you prove that your disdain for him isn't "race-based"??? I'll wait.

The article is crap. Why do some on the left assume that either you are an Obama supporter or you are a racist? Some don't have the intelligence to grasp the fact that many people, who are not racist, still oppose the policies of the left and right now that means criticizing the liberal in charge. Has nothing to do with color and everything to do with how we handle the problems that face this country. Clinton faced the same criticism from the right, but he didn't have the option of avoiding debate by throwing around bullshit accusations of racism.

There are some seriously flawed policies in this country and instead of facing criticism for passing total shit, like Obamacare, I guess it's easier to throw the race card out there and change the subject.

I am so sick of people claiming that anyone who isn't a bleeding heart liberal must be so hateful and racist that they blame minorities for the ills of the country. That is absurd and demonstrates an immature mindset. It's a deflection tactic that is easier than actually looking at some of their policies and realizing they don't work.

I have not seen Obama cater to white folks and he even stated during the last campaign that he wasn't going to focus on white middle class and he catered to illegal aliens and government dependents.

Last edited:
The article is crap. Why do some on the left assume that either you are an Obama supporter or you are a racist? Some don't have the intelligence to grasp the fact that many people, who are not racist, still oppose the policies of the left and right now that means criticizing the liberal in charge. Has nothing to do with color and everything to do with how we handle the problems that face this country. Clinton faced the same criticism from the right, but he didn't have the option of avoiding debate by throwing around bullshit accusations of racism.

There are some seriously flawed policies in this country and instead of facing criticism for passing total shit, like Obamacare, I guess it's easier to throw the race card out there and change the subject.

I am so sick of people claiming that anyone who isn't a bleeding heart liberal must be so hateful and racist that they blame minorities for the ills of the country. That is absurd and demonstrates an immature mindset. It's a deflection tactic that is easier than actually looking at some of their policies and realizing they don't work.

I have not seen Obama cater to white folks and he even stated during the last campaign that he wasn't going to focus on white middle class and he catered to illegal aliens and government dependents.

Because you can't prove that your objections to him are "policy-driven", that's why.
And oh, please. He bears the bite marks of the Republicans in Congress, who have bitten him, while extending olive branches. Tone deaf.

Nothing more than anti-white crap from a black racist.

I have too many white people that love me to even be remotely racist. LOL....they just aren't here.

The old "I know whites and some are my friends" argument. Heard that before.

Easily dismissed, I know. But absolutely true. Now what do you do? I've actually told them about the racists and bigots on this site, and they ask me why do I bother. I told them someone has to take the riff raff to task, it might as well be me. I've been doing it for well over 10 years, and I'm not tired yet.

Ain't that some shit? And the reality is that I am not totally enamored with President Obama. I'm absolutely tired and over the coddling he seems to think is necessary for "white America". They don't like his ass, no way, and Stephin Fetchit-like, he caters to them, as if he needed their blessing to do any mf'ing thing. Nothing boils my blood or ass, more. They are not going to willingly lay flowers on your grave. Get over it. And be the fucking president, with no excuses.

Tissue?

poet said:
Stupid Bitch....I'm more progressive than you'll ever be. I'm 60 years old, with a 35 year old persona.

What a comical fantasy-land you live in. Now for reality, you are 60 years old with a 35 IQ.

Tissue?

poet said:
Stupid Bitch....I'm more progressive than you'll ever be. I'm 60 years old, with a 35 year old persona.

What a comical fantasy-land you live in. Now for reality, you are 60 years old with a 35 IQ.

Really? The reality is you're not Breitbart. LOL

Tim Wise » Bullying Pulpit: Racism, Barack Obama and the Selective Call for Personal Responsibility

Why aren't you totally enamored with the Hussein? Is it because he is Mulatto?

You are right about one thing, white people don't need to be "coddled" by him, just the liberal white people do. The rest of us certainly don't need a politician, much less a Marxist loving D-bag like Obama, to tell us anything. As far as I am concerned, we'd all be better off if he just shut the doors and went back to snorting coke the rest of his term.

Not exactly...I'm a staunch Democrat, and would vote for any Democratic Presidential candidate....and did. Again, I'm not hung up on race or color, like many here. And sorry, but you don't and can't speak for any liberal whites, not being one. And all of your references to "Marxism" and D-bag, are "code". Went back to snorting coke? You mean like George W. Bush??? LOLOLOL

Yes, its code for he is another democrat marxist loving asswipe.

And no, I mean he should go back to snorting coke like he bragged about in his book.

Forum List

Back