California Bill Could Shut Down Small Restaurants

Are you talking about ANSUL systems?

'cause the earlier version FSS's were completely inadequate.

And, if a restaurant can't afford to absorb the $2500.00 cost in system upgrades, then they shouldn't have been in business in the first place.

Link please.

See post #15.

As for those businesses who can't afford it? Why not apply that same logic to the OP's original assertion? If businesses can't absorb the cost of new regulations, they shouldn't be in business either, right?
I owned a successful restaurant for many years....Again, if a restaurant owner can't afford a $2500.00 upgrade to any of their systems, they shouldn't be in business in the first place.

And, I operated my restaurant in one of the most over-regulated and taxed states in the nation, California, and you ALWAYS plan for increases on everything, along with system upgrades and break downs.

If a restaurant straight up went out of business because they could not absorb a $2500.00 system upgrade, then that business was already on its way out.

Well, heck. Why not just raise the cost of regulation to $100,000 and see how many more businesses we can label as "already on the way out?"

See post #15.

As for those businesses who can't afford it? Why not apply that same logic to the OP's original assertion? If businesses can't absorb the cost of new regulations, they shouldn't be in business either, right?
I owned a successful restaurant for many years....Again, if a restaurant owner can't afford a $2500.00 upgrade to any of their systems, they shouldn't be in business in the first place.

And, I operated my restaurant in one of the most over-regulated and taxed states in the nation, California, and you ALWAYS plan for increases on everything, along with system upgrades and break downs.

If a restaurant straight up went out of business because they could not absorb a $2500.00 system upgrade, then that business was already on its way out.

Well, heck. Why not just raise the cost of regulation to $100,000 and see how many more businesses we can label as "already on the way out?"
Well hell, $100.000.00 is a far cry from $2500.00.

You're the one who brought up the FSS issue, as if $2500.00 was a back breaker.

I dealt with the loony insanity coming from Sacto for years.....They've been cackling on about this issue for quite some time.....It'll never fly......One of the reasons I shut down and retired at such a young age, was partly due to getting tired of putting up with the regulatory BS this state wallows in......The same BS that is causing businesses of all sizes to flee to friendlier territory......And t's one of the reasons why the wife and I purchased some acreage up in Montana, in the Flathead Lake area, where we're having a new home built, and will be fleeing this looney bin as soon as the twins are off to college.

I dealt with the loony insanity coming from Sacto for years.....They've been cackling on about this issue for quite some time.....It'll never fly......One of the reasons I shut down and retired at such a young age, was partly due to getting tired of putting up with the regulatory BS this state wallows in......The same BS that is causing businesses of all sizes to flee to friendlier territory......And t's one of the reasons why the wife and I purchased some acreage up in Montana, in the Flathead Lake area, where we're having a new home built, and will be fleeing this looney bin as soon as the twins are off to college.

I posted that to illustrate that it's not just liberal California which does such things. If you open a business in Montana, you'll find the same kind of stuff goes on.

Having built two successful hospitality businesses as well as accumulating apartments, and having had to deal with various public hysteria including asbestos and lead paint, it is my personal opinion that anyone claiming to be in one of those businesses yet stupid enough to support mandated full replacement of existing equipment in the absence of repeated problems is probably lying. After listening to the lead paint bullshit get out of hand in Maryland I sold apartments in three states - in 2006, so government meddling didn't end up hurting me that much.

I absolutely support the strongest possible legal punishments for small businesses as well as corporate failure to protect the public; however, having seen the original fast food promoted legislative mandates for stainless steel sinks in the 1950s and 1960s, and having watched builders influence legislatures in re building codes, my bottom line conclusions are: 1) most legislators are either fools or borderline criminals; and, 2) every mandate lacking the harshest possible punishment for failure is more for the purpose of eliminating competition than it is for public safety.

Last edited:

I posted that to illustrate that it's not just liberal California which does such things. If you open a business in Montana, you'll find the same kind of stuff goes on.
Nooooo, I'm retired for good.....I'm turning 50 next year, and the wife is retiring in about 6 months....We've done well, and are going to spend the rest of our time in this life enjoying it to the max.....No more business, no more daily grind.

Having built two successful hospitality businesses as well as accumulating apartments, and having had to deal with various public hysteria including asbestos and lead paint, it is my personal opinion that anyone claiming to be in one of those businesses yet stupid enough to support mandated full replacement of existing equipment in the absence of repeated problems is probably lying. After listening to the lead paint bullshit get out of hand in Maryland I sold apartments in three states - in 2006, so government meddling didn't end up hurting me that much.

I absolutely support the strongest possible legal punishments for small businesses as well as corporate failure to protect the public; however, having seen the original fast food promoted legislative mandates for stainless steel sinks in the 1950s and 1960s, and having watched builders influence legislatures in re building codes, my bottom line conclusions are: 1) most legislators are either fools or borderline criminals; and, 2) every mandate lacking the harshest possible punishment for failure is more for the purpose of eliminating competition than it is for public safety.

Bingo! Hence my comment about the reason behind requiring every restaurant in the state to install larger dry fire extinguishers. It had nothing to do with safety and everything to do with generating business for legislative corporate sponsors.

That's not to say there shouldn't be regulations. Of course there should, else some business owners wouldn't even bother to sweep the floor to hold down costs. Regulations are like a convoy of ships: Everything must be tailored to the slowest vessel. In business, that means every regulation must be aimed at the cheapskate, irresponsible, greedy moron who would endanger the public to save a buck, not the responsible business owner who cares about his business, his employees and his customers. Unfortunately, the legitimate business owner must endure the effects of the same regulations that jackass down the street must be forced to comply with.

I don't know what the solution to that is.

Nooooo, I'm retired for good.....I'm turning 50 next year, and the wife is retiring in about 6 months....We've done well, and are going to spend the rest of our time in this life enjoying it to the max.....No more business, no more daily grind.

Unsolicited tip from an older guy who's long retired: If you don't find a purpose to live, a reason to get up in the morning, you're statistically likely to die within the first 5 years. That's much more true for men than it is for women because we tend to identify ourselves by what we do, not who we are, and when we no longer "do" anything, we just sort of wither away.

Bingo! Hence my comment about the reason behind requiring every restaurant in the state to install larger dry fire extinguishers. It had nothing to do with safety and everything to do with generating business for legislative corporate sponsors.

That's not to say there shouldn't be regulations. Of course there should, else some business owners wouldn't even bother to sweep the floor to hold down costs. Regulations are like a convoy of ships: Everything must be tailored to the slowest vessel. In business, that means every regulation must be aimed at the cheapskate, irresponsible, greedy moron who would endanger the public to save a buck, not the responsible business owner who cares about his business, his employees and his customers. Unfortunately, the legitimate business owner must endure the effects of the same regulations that jackass down the street must be forced to comply with.

I don't know what the solution to that is.

The answer is likely closer to draconian punishments following random inspections than it is to regulating everyone based on the weakest link and scheduled inspections.

Bottom line: when headquarters office executives face criminal punishments for outposts' failing to protect local public health and safety, results will improve. Until then nothing is going to change.

by Warner Todd Huston10 Apr 2013

The State of California has one of the worst proposals of any legislature in the country this year with a new bill that would force every restaurant and food service business in the state to commission an expensive "risk assessment" test for every menu item.

Such a test could cost thousands of dollars for every food item sold. This outrageous and cost prohibitive testing would certainly cause all but the biggest chain restaurants to go out of business almost instantly.

In another exercise in nanny-statism, California's State Senate Democrats want this "risk assessment" conducted to determine whether food being sold "contributes significantly to a significant public health epidemic."

The bill, Senate Bill 747, is an addition to the current health and safety codes and is currently set for a hearing on April 17. It was written and introduced by Sen. Mark DeSauliner (D, Concord).

Read more about the ridiculous antics of California politicians @ California Bill Could Shut Down Small Restaurants

But, before you scream “right-wing propaganda,” read the bill @ Bill Text - SB-747 Public Health Impact Report.

Another example for which government is infamous....Unfunded mandates.

All the wingnut predictions of this or that regulation ending businesses should always be taken with much skepticism.

When Ohio passed strict laws on check cashing stores, those stores whined and moaned and threatened to close shop, and fire hundreds of people. Their Pity Party was monumental. But the law passed anyway, and the legal loan sharks never did bother to close their strip mall enterprises, as they threatened to. Too bad. I was hoping they would. It would have been Good Riddance.

All the wingnut predictions of this or that regulation ending businesses should always be taken with much skepticism.

When Ohio passed strict laws on check cashing stores, those stores whined and moaned and threatened to close shop, and fire hundreds of people. Their Pity Party was monumental. But the law passed anyway, and the legal loan sharks never did bother to close their strip mall enterprises, as they threatened to. Too bad. I was hoping they would. It would have been Good Riddance.

Umm...Here in NC the state legislature passed a bill which the governor signed banning the payday lenders...They went out of business.
What is your point?
Of all the examples you could have used to support your argument, you choose the one that would shoot so many holes in said argument, it lost all chance of staying afloat.

Forum List

Back