California chef won't serve customers wearing MAGA hats

San Mateo restaurant owner says customers will not be served if they are wearing a "Make America Great Again" hat.

5114957_013119-kgo-trump-hat-tweet-img.jpg

Kenji Lopez-Alt of Wursthall Restaurant tweeted that it would be the "same as if you come in wearing a swastika, white hood, or any other symbol of intolerance and hate."

The tweet has gotten mixed reactions. Some people say refusing to get to know someone or serve someone based on what they're wearing is unfair. Other replies on Twitter support the chef and say they're now more likely to go to the restaurant.

Restaurant owner won't serve customers wearing MAGA hats

If bakeries can refuse to serve LGBTQ customers - why can't this restaurant refuse to serve racists? Sounds reasonable to me. What do you think?

Mods: I tried to do a search but couldn't find an existing thread. I apologize if I have duplicated.
/——/ Reminds me of when democrat restaurant owners wouldn’t serve Blacks.

Yeah, and then those Democrats switched to Republicans.
Can ewe explain in simple terms why make America Great Again is offensive to liberals/democrats?
Why are you saying that America isn't great right now?
/——/ for the last two years it’s been getting better each day.

San Mateo restaurant owner says customers will not be served if they are wearing a "Make America Great Again" hat.

Kenji Lopez-Alt of Wursthall Restaurant tweeted that it would be the "same as if you come in wearing a swastika, white hood, or any other symbol of intolerance and hate."

The tweet has gotten mixed reactions. Some people say refusing to get to know someone or serve someone based on what they're wearing is unfair. Other replies on Twitter support the chef and say they're now more likely to go to the restaurant.

If bakeries can refuse to serve LGBTQ customers - why can't this restaurant refuse to serve racists? Sounds reasonable to me. What do you think?

Mods: I tried to do a search but couldn't find an existing thread. I apologize if I have duplicated.

Can't wait to see dozens of customers each wearing one of the above being seated at his restaurant.

and see what the courts say
The courts would say nothing.

Right…

doesn't matter now anyway.

Owner of Wursthall restaurant bans MAGA hats, then apologizes - CBS News

Last edited:
In my opinion a restaurant or business should either serve everybody equally or a restaurant or business should be able to refuse service to anybody for whatever reason equally. You can’t really have it be somewhere in the middle. I think in this owners case he would have been better off to ban hats or headwear in general without sharing a political angle to it instead of only MAGA hats. Treat it like you would a nice restaurant requiring certain dress wear or things you can’t wear but just don’t make it political in nature and you probably wouldn’t have as much press and troubles.

Filth loves filth....he can get away with this shit in the nations super shitholes, Mexifornia and Loon York...The other 48 states have way too many REAL Americans...his ‘hate Americans’ mantra would never fly there.

LOL...we've seen this movie before.
Red Hen Is In Serious Trouble After Kicking W.H. Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders Out

Where are they now?

If I'm not mistaken the Red Hen in Lexington is still open, although the staffers that had their 10 minutes of fame may have been asked to more on.

Can ewe explain in simple terms why make America Great Again is offensive to liberals/democrats?

Why did Cuomo say America was never that great? Know why? Cause democrats are assholes!

A quick glance through the thread yields no Regressives screaming about public accommodations laws. How weird! I wonder why!
Do any states or localities include political affiliation under public accommodation laws?
Not that I know of!

But I do wonder why some who screamed about them before are now ignoring them now!

Weird, huh!

It’s not at all weird. If political affiliation were covered, I’d be arguing for the MAGA dumbasses. It’s not. The screaming MAGA dorks are the hypocrites, not those that support PA laws. Republicans in the city where this restaurant is located can try to get political affiliation added. I wish them luck.

I also wish luck to those that want to repeal all PA laws.

It’s not at all weird. If political affiliation were covered, I’d be arguing for the MAGA dumbasses. It’s not.
You are making an argument that MAGA hats are a political affiliation while claiming LBGTQ is not.

I guess I should ask what you define as a political affiliation and how that allows one to discriminate against another on the bases of creed in one situation, but not the other.

A quick glance through the thread yields no Regressives screaming about public accommodations laws. How weird! I wonder why!
Do any states or localities include political affiliation under public accommodation laws?
Not that I know of!

But I do wonder why some who screamed about them before are now ignoring them now!

Weird, huh!

It’s not at all weird. If political affiliation were covered, I’d be arguing for the MAGA dumbasses. It’s not. The screaming MAGA dorks are the hypocrites, not those that support PA laws. Republicans in the city where this restaurant is located can try to get political affiliation added. I wish them luck.

Political affiliation need play no official role in this. Those who defend PA laws should be consistent.

They are not, and the reason is blatantly obvious.

Not that I know of!

Weird, huh!

Political affiliation need play no official role in this. Those who defend PA laws should be consistent.

They are not, and the reason is blatantly obvious.

How is it being inconsistent? Some things ARE covered under PA laws and some are not. If there is someone willing to challenge PA laws either way, best of luck to them.

So in order for you NOT TO BE A HYPOCRITE, I guess you believe the bakers had every right to refuse to bake that cake! Right?
The maga guys have the choice to wear the hat or not. Being Gay is not a matter of choice you fucking clown.

But going to a baker that understands your situation is a choice. They only went to the Christian baker because they knew it could be trouble.
They targeted the Christian Baker. It's about submission.
Are you talking about the Christian Baker who targeted gays?

America is great. Republicans are racist.

Discriminating on political grounds is not a violation of anyone's right..It isn't protected..

How is it being inconsistent? Some things ARE covered under PA laws and some are not. If there is someone willing to challenge PA laws either way, best of luck to them.
Your argument is that because it's the law, it is right?

PA laws are authoritarian and anti-liberty by their very nature. You only support the part you like. You don't give a single fuck about the liberty of others.

That is what I find most troubling.

Discriminating on political grounds is not a violation of anyone's right..It isn't protected..
Neither is discriminating on any other basis. One does not have the right to force another to sell them goods or perform services.

I can't believe we have so many who have no problem shitting on the rights of others.

Well, inbred cousin fucker*, PA laws have been challenged and found to be constitutional. You’re welcome to try and challenge them again, but they’ve been around since the 60s...

*I just love these “civil” conversations
And, here is where the slippery slope is proved. It was only for racial discrimination at first. Now we have slipped down the slope and included a new group.

This MAGA hat action will no doubt piss off another group who will carve out their own exception, and so on, until everyone must server whomever the fucking GOVERNMENT commands.

What a nation we have become.

Neither is discriminating on any other basis. One does not have the right to force another to sell them goods or perform services.

I can't believe we have so many who have no problem shitting on the rights of others.

I just wish ALL restaurants would refuse ALL service to anyone wearing a fcking hat indoors. Unless you're in one of those western states where sheep, or antelope, outnumber the people. LOL

Forum List

Back