California fires caused by global warming

Boosted. The continual dryness of the climate due to global warming has contributed to the severity of the wildfires. And the season has just started.
CA has done as much as anyone to try to cut emissions yet these fires not only kill people, and a lot of people, but they foul the water sheds and produce many magnitudes more CO2 than is saved. Are you saying that there is nothing CA can do before next fire season to reduce wild fire risk?

CA has done as much as anyone to try to cut emissions yet these fires not only kill people, and a lot of people, but they foul the water sheds and produce many magnitudes more CO2 than is saved. Are you saying that there is nothing CA can do before next fire season to reduce wild fire risk?
They had fires of biblical proportions just two years ago and apparently they learned nothing from it.
Hopefully Newsom's precious winery, that he keeps open in direct opposition to his own state edict, burned down to the ground.

You could have done a ten second Google search and saved yourself the trouble of looking like a
opinionated jackass but that's not your thing, is it. I guess you just like looking like a fool.

A fool created a thread around it. Interesting how when the link is clicked, the real headline says:
US wildfires fuelled by climate change, California governor says

That's much more accurate. So, what the heck is going on here?

A fool created a thread around it. Interesting how when the link is clicked, the real headline says:

Yes. Just what is going on? I'd say California's wildfires are fueled by ignorance and neglect on the part of California officials.
They had similar disastrous fires in California just two years ago and don't seem to have learned a thing.
I guess the effects of climate change just took the year off last year.

As I said, fire is as old as Man itself. The political spin dumbasses like you try to apply to it is new

You don't read so good. I just said it the political spin of the liberal dumbass governors like Newsom in CA. I posted a link on what Newsom is saying and another on what he isn't saying. They believe it is AGW that caused the hot weather, dry forests, and lightening to set the fires off. No one can control the weather nor climate. A more balanced approach of clear cutting fire lines in these forests and controlling air and water pollution would've avoided this mess, but you can't dissuade liberals from their AGW fears.

They could've avoided this mess by clearing some trees and cutting fire lines in these dense areas. Yet, they continue to blame humans and AGW for causing the huge forest fires and polluted air and water now. I don't think they can be persuaded that it is their own liberal policies to blame AGW, save the trees, and going green that has led to the mismanagement. Maybe the only way to convince liberals that this is the cause is to see MASS DEATHS of their own kind by fire in Portland, OR. The area is in danger of this happening rn if the fires cannot be controlled.

Global warming is a fact. A drier climate mixed with fire is not a good thing. You don't think so good.

AGW is not fact. The mismanagement of our forests is fact. They could've just cut fire lines. All of the governors in the West should be booted out of office.

I hate Newsom and the WA governor blaming it on GW.

Boosted. The continual dryness of the climate due to global warming has contributed to the severity of the wildfires. And the season has just started.

Nothing? I'm sure more can be done.

What a lot of people seem to have forgotten in these divisive times is that all governance is a balancing act. Never is that more clear when the subject is man's relationship to nature.

If I had a magic wand, I would limit the number homes being built in the forested areas. There are wildfires in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, and Arizona. But all that is talked about are the wild fires in populated areas which happen to be along the west coast. The governors of the aforementioned states are not doing much better than California.

As I said, fire is as old as Man itself. The political spin dumbasses like you try to apply to it is new

You don't read so good. I just said it the political spin of the liberal dumbass governors like Newsom in CA. I posted a link on what Newsom is saying and another on what he isn't saying. They believe it is AGW that caused the hot weather, dry forests, and lightening to set the fires off. No one can control the weather nor climate. A more balanced approach of clear cutting fire lines in these forests and controlling air and water pollution would've avoided this mess, but you can't dissuade liberals from their AGW fears.

They could've avoided this mess by clearing some trees and cutting fire lines in these dense areas. Yet, they continue to blame humans and AGW for causing the huge forest fires and polluted air and water now. I don't think they can be persuaded that it is their own liberal policies to blame AGW, save the trees, and going green that has led to the mismanagement. Maybe the only way to convince liberals that this is the cause is to see MASS DEATHS of their own kind by fire in Portland, OR. The area is in danger of this happening rn if the fires cannot be controlled.

Global warming is a fact. A drier climate mixed with fire is not a good thing. You don't think so good.

AGW is not fact. The mismanagement of our forests is fact. They could've just cut fire lines. All of the governors in the West should be booted out of office.

I hate Newsom and the WA governor blaming it on GW.

1599967828007.png

I hope you mean the Governors of Utah, Wyoming, Montana and Arizona as well.

Global warming isn't causing the fires. It is a contributing factor to how severe they are however. When you cut breaks, by the way, how wide do you want them cut? An ember from one fire can easily jump most conventional burn breaks when the wind is hitting 50 MPH.

No political affiliations of the people setting fires? I guess they determined this instantaneously
after a thorough non investigation.

That is a left wing , fake science mag of zero credibility
It’s caused by the giant dummies ( mostly elected by AA) who don’t know that you must clear the brush
Even the natives had many forest fires in California and we had zero emissions

I'll take the scientists word over some schmuck who complains about one his employees incessantly on the Internet. Thanks for your input....I love comedy.
Like those "scientists " that had bogus reports for Al Gore's Inconvenient Truth? Lol!...oh yeah, 4 arsonists were arrested for the fires, btw...

It’s caused by the giant dummies ( mostly elected by AA) who don’t know that you must clear the brush

I'll take the scientists word over some schmuck who complains about one his employees incessantly on the Internet. Thanks for your input....I love comedy.
Like those "scientists " that had bogus reports for Al Gore's Inconvenient Truth? Lol!...oh yeah, 4 arsonists were arrested for the fires, btw...

I'm coming to the conclusion that "liberals" (I put that in quotes because they're not true liberals) are hopelessly gullible and always put their trust in the wrong place. They fall for every psyop that is actually a Problem - Reaction - Solution tactic. In other words, it's about using fear and "crises" as a tool for political change and draconian agendas.

This H.L. Mencken quote sums it up, I should put this in my sig again:

“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary.”

Am I a bad and horrible person for not giving a crap about Pol Pot Oregon and California
Am I ??

Kathleen Brown narrowly avoided a recall election because the state fair was shut down this year cutting off
potentially several thousand votes to recall her.

These fires and her reluctance to do anything about the criminals in Portland will not save her next year.

Yes. Just what is going on? I'd say California's wildfires are fueled by ignorance and neglect on the part of California officials.
They had similar disastrous fires in California just two years ago and don't seem to have learned a thing.
I guess the effects of climate change just took the year off last year.
CA is a state with the potential to be a real gem, but, it is so poorly run right now that it's terribly disturbing.

Take the bullet train. CA has spent Billions on this bullet train that is supposed to connect the Bay Area to LA, on a 3 hour trip, for $65 bucks, when you can often get a one hour flight for $49.

But, there is a mountain range around the Bay and a much bigger one around the LA Basin, and no one has figured out how to lay the kind of tracks this bullet train will need, over either mountain range. So, it's pretty much dead in the water.

But, Bullet Trains are a lot sexier than forest management.

It's much more cost effective to manage forests than it is to suppress fires.

When California was effectively managing it's forests, it not only wasn't a cost, but with the lumber sales they were a net plus on the State budget.

Bottom line, what they are doing now is not working, and they have some other choices that could work really well. But, it might take the Gov streamlining some regulation, where necessary, by executive order, which, isn't out of the question with their current Gov. He's certainly a progressive, but, unlike a lot of progressives, he has a tendency to tell the truth when the current approach isn't working and to make the changes necessary to improve outcomes. Not a lot, but there is enough of a glimmer now and then of good sense that's enough for a bit of hope.

Last edited:
I was still a resident when this train was hurriedly pushed through despite all the reasons to stop and
examine the white elephant in action.
It was a costly bad mistake promoted primarily not on need or efficiency but because it would be "cool" to
have a North to South bullet train.
An idiotic project from idiotic people for an idiotic populace.

What a lot of people seem to have forgotten in these divisive times is that all governance is a balancing act. Never is that more clear when the subject is man's relationship to nature.

If I had a magic wand, I would limit the number homes being built in the forested areas. There are wildfires in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, and Arizona. But all that is talked about are the wild fires in populated areas which happen to be along the west coast. The governors of the aforementioned states are not doing much better than California.
Good points. I think it's important that we focus on solutions, because this is a situation that can be improved with sensible policy.

Prior to the Gold Rush, CA forests were at a density of of about 40 trees per acre. After a hundred years of fire suppression they are now 400 or more per acre, and the fires that burn at that density are just devastating. Sensible thinning, with the costs offset by selling the lumber is just a win/win for everyone.

These fires are just terrible, the human loss of life is horrific, but, no one even talks about the wild life losses. These fires with a good wind behind them are sometimes traveling 50 miles per hour or more. These fire storms are just horrific. Hopefully they are reaching a tipping point where everyone is willing to do what's necessary to improve the situation. They have a lot of good choices here, and it's clear that the current policy isn't one that is giving anyone the outcome they want.

For many years California has been criticized for not managing their forests, it’s probably because they don’t have the money due to wasting it on all their social programs and the worst that happens are homes are destroyed and a few rich people lose their lives. California uses risk and reward spending.

Good points. I think it's important that we focus on solutions, because this is a situation that can be improved with sensible policy.

Prior to the Gold Rush, CA forests were at a density of of about 40 trees per acre. After a hundred years of fire suppression they are now 400 or more per acre, and the fires that that burn at that density are just devastating. Sensible thinning, with the costs offset by selling the lumber is just a win/win for everyone.

These fires are just terrible, the human loss of life is horrific, but, no one even talks about the wild life losses. These fires with a good wind behind them are sometimes traveling 50 miles per hour or more. These fire storms are just horrific. Hopefully they are reaching a tipping point where everyone is willing to do what's necessary to improve the situation. They have a lot of good choices here, and it's clear that the current policy isn't one that is giving anyone the outcome they want.

Hard and unpopular decisions are coming.

Each one of those houses at the end of a cul de sac overlooking a picturesque canyon represents multiple thousands of dollars in property taxes. That is why development is encouraged; the support the programs that people who own those houses do not use directly but (and this is the hard sell) benefit from. Responsible public servants know the programs are important so they have to find a way to fund them. If they can have the county planning department open up development in these areas, they can tax the properties and boom, the program is funded. The calculation of "what if there is a wildfire" seems unnecessary..."what if there is an earthquake and the houses go tumbling down the hill"? Mind you; I'm not saying the calculations are unnecessary, city planners see it that way. Maybe now they'll pump the brakes on endless development

Forum List

Back