California Gov ok's Assisted Suicide

Really?

How would you like to see your children killed daily? Or if you don't have children, people you loved very much?

That's what my mom had to endure for the last couple of years of her life. She had alzheimers. I would go to see her and she would be crying. Saying she saw me or one of my siblings killed that day. Or raped.

Would you like to endure that for years until you died? Or would you like your mother/father or wife/husband to have to endure that?

No that law can't help someone who has alzheimers but you need to realize that death isn't the coward's way out when a person is suffering from horrible physical pain. Or mental pain. Alzheimers is a brain disease that takes just about all control of the body and all the mental capacity from them. It's not just forgetting people and things.

I had to watch as my dad died from liver cancer. If you've ever seen what happens to a person when the liver shuts down you might understand. The person is literally being poisoned by their own body and cancer. They're in extreme agony. Even the feel of my breath on my dad's skin was horrible pain for him. Even though he was given pain killers.

I would have given anything in this world to have been able to stop my parents from their suffering. When you love your parents as much as I do you understand that you would do anything to stop the suffering and let them finally have peace with love and dignity.
That is the way I see... Growing up on an Indian reservation, it was ingrained by the culture there is no reason for any type of suicide, totally unacceptable.
As a born again Christian I still believe 100% no reason what so ever...

And the beauty of this bill is that it totally accommodates your world view. If you don't believe in suicide, you don't have to engage in it.
That's the same way it worked in the Netherlands. For awhile anyway.
Fine, just don't expect me to respect, admire or feel compassion for anyone looking for the easy way out. I was brought up seeing any type of suicide as cowardly.

Your respect, admiration or compassion isn't a prerequisite. Their consent, agony, immediate terminal illness, and desire to end that suffering is.

It's all good, a coward is still a coward...

That is the way I see... Growing up on an Indian reservation, it was ingrained by the culture there is no reason for any type of suicide, totally unacceptable.
As a born again Christian I still believe 100% no reason what so ever...

And the beauty of this bill is that it totally accommodates your world view. If you don't believe in suicide, you don't have to engage in it.
Fine, just don't expect me to respect, admire or feel compassion for anyone looking for the easy way out. I was brought up seeing any type of suicide as cowardly.

Your respect, admiration or compassion isn't a prerequisite. Their consent, agony, immediate terminal illness, and desire to end that suffering is.

It's all good, a coward is a coward.

And that's the beauty of the law: if you don't want to utilize it you don't have to. So your world view and those of someone who wishes to end a terminal illness with dignity can both exist under i t.

meh I'm willing to accept that I am a coward for my decision to commit suicide in the event I get Alzheimers. My husband and children are well versed in my plans if I should and really they are the only ones that matter in the decision.

There's a huge difference between your family members agreeing, just to shut you up, and actually carrying out your wishes. They will fail you, and you can take that to your grave.

It's all good, a coward is a coward.

And that's the beauty of the law: if you don't want to utilize it you don't have to. So your world view and those of someone who wishes to end a terminal illness with dignity can both exist under i t.
Great! Now I guess Cali is now encouraging cowardly behavior of its citizens.
Nothing in that surprises me about that anymore... They are full of sanctuary city's allowing illegal aliens in to kill their own citizens then letting them free again and again and again.

Cali has went way of just like the cesspool that is Europe any more... What a waste of a beautifully scenic state...

The handy work of ultra high taxes... How has that worked for them???

meh I'm willing to accept that I am a coward for my decision to commit suicide in the event I get Alzheimers. My husband and children are well versed in my plans if I should and really they are the only ones that matter in the decision.

There's a huge difference between your family members agreeing, just to shut you up, and actually carrying out your wishes. They will fail you, and you can take that to your grave.
Same diff...
Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.
-William Shakespeare-

They don't need to "carry out" my wishes, I am perfectly capable of doing that on my own. I merely ensure that they understand exactly /why/ I would do it.

They don't need to "carry out" my wishes, I am perfectly capable of doing that on my own. I merely ensure that they understand exactly /why/ I would do it.

Your comments here show that you lack the intellect necessary to even understand what you're talking about. Which comes as no surprise to me.

Your comments here show that you lack the intellect necessary to even understand what you're talking about. Which comes as no surprise to me.

That's an interesting conclusion to reach; I'm not smart enough to know my own opinion and feelings on the issue of assisted suicide?

On what do you base your conclusion, your own personal opinion, feelings, and beliefs?

That's an interesting conclusion to reach; I'm not smart enough to know my own opinion and feelings on the issue of assisted suicide?

On what do you base your conclusion, your own personal opinion, feelings, and beliefs?

Once again your own comment betrays you and shows you for what you really are. A buffoon.

Once again your own comment betrays you and shows you for what you really are. A buffoon.

okay then...

okay then...

How's about I do you a big favor by telling you what I know, and you don't. And this is just for starters.

People like you, that say stupid shit about suicide, often times go on to commit suicide themselves, for no good reason. Leaving their family's behind to pick up the pieces. Wondering how they missed all the signs. And people like you who stupidly think they can end it all, at anytime they choose are clueless. Because you can't muster the strength, or the means to make it happen around about the time you might think it's a good idea because you're suffering horribly from unimaginable pain. You're denied that ability.
And that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of what you don't know.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/06/us/california-governor-signs-assisted-suicide-bill-into-law.html

California on Monday joined the short list of states allowing doctors to prescribe drugs for terminally ill patients to end their lives as Gov. Jerry Brown signed the measure into law, ending months of silence on one of the most emotional issues for the state this year.

In an unusually personal signing message, the governor, a former Jesuit seminarian, signaled how torn he was by the issue.

“I do not know what I would do if I were dying in prolonged and excruciating pain,” he wrote. “I am certain, however, that it would be a comfort to be able to consider the options afforded by this bill. And I wouldn’t deny that right to others.”

The law will take effect 90 days after the special legislative session in which it was passed adjourns. Lawmakers expect that will be sometime next year.

About damn time. We are more humane with animals than we are with people.

As a Californian I applaud this rational law.

IF I am ever in such an extreme health condition- or facing such an extreme health condition- that I would prefer death over long endless suffering- or to me even worse- the slow death of Alzheimers- I would prefer a method of ending my own life that is both more practical, and less dangerous for others than a gun or a car in a garage.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/06/us/california-governor-signs-assisted-suicide-bill-into-law.html

California on Monday joined the short list of states allowing doctors to prescribe drugs for terminally ill patients to end their lives as Gov. Jerry Brown signed the measure into law, ending months of silence on one of the most emotional issues for the state this year.

In an unusually personal signing message, the governor, a former Jesuit seminarian, signaled how torn he was by the issue.

“I do not know what I would do if I were dying in prolonged and excruciating pain,” he wrote. “I am certain, however, that it would be a comfort to be able to consider the options afforded by this bill. And I wouldn’t deny that right to others.”

The law will take effect 90 days after the special legislative session in which it was passed adjourns. Lawmakers expect that will be sometime next year.

IF I am ever in such an extreme health condition- or facing such an extreme health condition- that I would prefer death over long endless suffering- or to me even worse- the slow death of Alzheimers- I would prefer a method of ending my own life that is both more practical, and less dangerous for others than a gun or a car in a garage.

The law doesn't speak to Alzheimers. Most likely those with the disease wouldn't qualify under this law.

The law doesn't speak to Alzheimers. Most likely those with the disease wouldn't qualify under this law.
Unless they make a living will, in front of witnesses, in writing as well, what they wish BEFORE they are completely "gone"? I dunno. That will be a hard one. I think this bill is for those who suffer extreme pain...or will suffer extreme pain. Do alzheimers patients feel that as their brain melts? I have no clue.

Fill out your living will and choose the option to receive care, watch the death dealers heads explode.

I personally am interested in using the medically assisted suicide. In my town, I have to wait until February 7th 2016. Then, I am applying for the service. I am not really interested in living. Already tried suicide with sleeping pills, but you can't seem to die that way these days. I am suffering from the violation of my rights including harassment. The cops won't do anything.

What a shame. A real, deadly, shame.
who the fuck are you to tell someone who is dying a horrible death that they cant end it?...
Who the fuck are you to tell someone they are to be killed, or probably not bothering to tell them at all. Just end the inconvenience and free up the bed.

He's advocated no such thing, but you already knew that. Please provide an example of this happening.

You may be right- an imperfect law is better than no law.

Just takes away one method of ending my own life if I so chose to.

The hard part with Alzheimers would be making the decision in between diagnosis, and the inability to make a rational decision.

I have watched two relatives go through Alzheimers- I wouldn't wish that on myself- or my loved ones.

Forum List

Back