Callous Conservatives, Time to wake up!

How will you vote in Nov. 2016

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One year after voters in the City of SeaTac agreed to increase the minimum wage to $15 per hour, city leaders have noticed little impact on the overall economy.

An estimated 1,500 total workers saw their minimum wage increase under the new law. Around 400 actually live in the city limits.

City manager Todd Cutts says there has been no impact on sales tax or property tax, and no measurable change in the number of business licenses issued.

1 year after $15 minimum wage, little impact in SeaTac

How Raising The Minimum Wage To $15 Changed These Workers' Lives

Sammi Babakrkhil got a whopping 57 percent raise.

A valet attendant and shuttle driver at a parking company called MasterPark, Babakrkhil saw his base wage jump from $9.55 per hour, before tips, up to $15. Having scraped by in America since immigrating from Afghanistan 11 years ago, he suddenly faced the pleasant predicament as his co-workers: What to do with the windfall?

For the overworked father of three, it wasn't a hard question. Babakrkhil decided to quit his other full-time job driving shuttles at a hotel down the road. Though he'd take home less money overall, the pay hike at MasterPark would allow him to work 40 hours a week instead of a brutal 80 -- and to actually spend time with his wife and three young girls.

My kids used to not see me," said Babakrkhil, who notes that the new work arrangement has also afforded him time to start exercising. "Now I make a little bit less, but I'm enjoying my life ... I'm happy this way."

Babakrkhil's colleague Deyo Hirata, who also received a considerable raise, said he now frets less about making ends meet. Though he has always taken pride in his job and maintained a good relationship with his managers, he says the wage hike has made him feel better rewarded for his labor

corporate-profits-and-wages.jpg

It changed a few peoples lives but hurt a few businesses as well. "The owner of Z Pizza says she’s being forced to close her doors, because she can’t afford the higher labor costs", some business has to lay off workers to meet the minimum wage demand, trimming staff hours, opening later closing earlier, raising prices all in an effort to meet the requirement. It seems to me it hurts more people than it helps.

MORE right wing BS. Shocking. Hint if she closed her doors, GUARANTEED she had problems BEFORE they upped the min wage

Hurts more people? lol

EVERY TIME THE US TALKS ABOUT LIFTING THE MIN WAGE THE RIGHT WINGERS RUN AROUND CLAIMING THE SKY IS FALLING, BUT YET ONCE DONE, IT NEVER SEEMS TO HAVE HAPPENED. Costs increase ALL the time, a GOOD BIZ, ADJUSTS!

you are the same idiot who cries it almost never gets raised in the first place dullard; so by your own admission you are staking a claim it doesnt do any harm based on very limited evidence

people should care enough to be worth doing a job that pays for their basic needs. Employers should pay them what they are worth

My grandmother said this to me a lot when I was younger:

"When you want something bad enough, you'll get it yourself."

Democrats needed to have your grandmother

Well, she was a Democrat for 40 years. She saw the shitfest coming from miles away and decided to jump ship.

Yep, today's GOP base, voting against their own economic interests to support the billionaire class, the GOP goal!

Blah blah, corporations, blah blah, the rich, got it, Karl. Maybe if you got off your lazy ass and worked, that would do the trick too

PERHAPS those "job creators" despite RECORD CORP PROFITS, LOWEST SUSTAINED TAX BURDEN SINCE BEFORE HARDING/COOLIDGE GREAT DEPRESSION AND LOWEST CORP TAX "BURDEN" IN 40 YEARS, SHOULD STEP UP? Or do away with some of these "job creator" benefits like doubling the EFFECTIVE tax rates?

Well, she was a Democrat for 40 years. She saw the shitfest coming from miles away and decided to jump ship.

Yep, today's GOP base, voting against their own economic interests to support the billionaire class, the GOP goal!

Blah blah, corporations, blah blah, the rich, got it, Karl. Maybe if you got off your lazy ass and worked, that would do the trick too

PERHAPS those "job creators" despite RECORD CORP PROFITS, LOWEST SUSTAINED TAX BURDEN SINCE BEFORE HARDING/COOLIDGE GREAT DEPRESSION AND LOWEST TAX "BURDEN" IN 40 YEARS, SHOULD STEP UP? Or do away with some of these "job creator" benefits like doubling the EFFECTIVE tax rates?

poor idiot; your community organizer is insisting millions of jobs have been created by those job creators on his watch.

i see; you want to take credit for job creation but not the kind of job or what it pays?
how much SHOULD a burger flipper be paid leftard

idiots and hypocrites

If you want to own a business, you can't expect to do so without employees. High turnover is expensive, and not everyone can flip a burger and make it palatable, something a customer wants again and again.

If you've lived in an area for a long time you've seen businesses open and fail. Most small businesses fail and it's not a result of poor, lazy or stupid employees. Sometimes a very good business is sold, and the name remains the same. In one trip it becomes obvious the product is different and not worth a return trip. It is especially noticeable in restaurants; poor quality, poor prep and poor presentation.

You didn't answer the question, how much should a burger flipper be paid?

It depends on the business revenue. How much should a CEO be paid? Should it not depend on the success of the business? And if so, the contrabutions of other employees contribute to a successful business.

So in response the stupid question, it depends. Notice too, American teens are less and less seeking jobs in the fast food industry, tired of being exploited they have mostly moved on. Now the FF industry relies mostly on immigrants.

Still haven't answered the question.

A living wage is one which provides enough income to take care of basic needs: food, clothing, shelter, health care and some left over to save/invest for retirement.

See number 1 on Maslow's hierarchy of needs, and think about all five on the list:

http://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html

Should an employer pay a person a living wage even if that person is uneducated, inexperienced and/or untrustworthy?

There really is something wrong with you if you can't earn enough to live in this country with all the opportunity. As an employer, the overwhelming reason the ones not worth it aren't worth it is they don't care. They don't care about their jobs or their employers. They quit, they don't show up, they don't work when they are there. Then Democrats tell us we are the problem. Bull

JAN. 4, 2012

Harder for Americans to Rise From Lower Rungs

Benjamin Franklin did it. Henry Ford did it. And American life is built on the faith that others can do it, too: rise from humble origins to economic heights. “Movin’ on up,” George Jefferson-style, is not only a sitcom song but a civil religion.

But many researchers have reached a conclusion that turns conventional wisdom on its head: Americans enjoy less economic mobility than their peers in Canada and much of Western Europe. The mobility gap has been widely discussed in academic circles, but a sour season of mass unemployment and street protests has moved the discussion toward center stage.

Former Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, a Republican candidate for president, warned this fall that movement “up into the middle income is actually greater, the mobility in Europe, than it is in America.National Review, a conservative thought leader, wrote that “most Western European and English-speaking nations have higher rates of mobility.” Even Representative Paul D. Ryan, a Wisconsin Republican who argues that overall mobility remains high, recently wrote that “mobility from the very bottom up” is “where the United States lags behind.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/05/us/harder-for-americans-to-rise-from-lower-rungs.html?_r=0

More modestly, you can at least clean yourself up and do a good job at work and become an assistant manager and keep going from there. Employers are always looking at who we can depend on, and we start looking with our own staff

Yep, in the Kaz Klown Kar world, statics and history don't matter, it was someone just being a slob or lazy *shaking head*

And what does that have to do with the point I made, grasshopper?

PERHAPS those "job creators" despite RECORD CORP PROFITS, LOWEST SUSTAINED TAX BURDEN SINCE BEFORE HARDING/COOLIDGE GREAT DEPRESSION AND LOWEST CORP TAX "BURDEN" IN 40 YEARS, SHOULD STEP UP? Or do away with some of these "job creator" benefits like doubling the EFFECTIVE tax rates?

You're an angry little maggot. Turn off your greed and turn on your ambition and you will go places. In the meantime, your Marxist rhetoric is as useless as you are

i see; you want to take credit for job creation but not the kind of job or what it pays?
how much SHOULD a burger flipper be paid leftard

idiots and hypocrites

If you want to own a business, you can't expect to do so without employees. High turnover is expensive, and not everyone can flip a burger and make it palatable, something a customer wants again and again.

If you've lived in an area for a long time you've seen businesses open and fail. Most small businesses fail and it's not a result of poor, lazy or stupid employees. Sometimes a very good business is sold, and the name remains the same. In one trip it becomes obvious the product is different and not worth a return trip. It is especially noticeable in restaurants; poor quality, poor prep and poor presentation.

Denmark MIN is about $21 an hour

Australia about $16 an hour

They STILL seem to make a profit?

We (318 million people) aren't Denmark (6 million people) or Australia (25 million people).

True, things like that can't be scaled up right? *shaking head*

Normally when two countries are being compared they are similar in size and economics. The comparison between a country of over three hundred million and a country with nearly six million is not a good comparison.

There really is something wrong with you if you can't earn enough to live in this country with all the opportunity. As an employer, the overwhelming reason the ones not worth it aren't worth it is they don't care. They don't care about their jobs or their employers. They quit, they don't show up, they don't work when they are there. Then Democrats tell us we are the problem. Bull

Maybe your employees don't care is because you don't care about them. I had an interesting (and for me a disgusting) conversation with the the owner of several Burger Kings. He's in the NFL Hall of Fame and pissed and moaned about his employees, kids mostly, just like you have.

I've built two companies and sold them. I took the industry mean and added 20 percent for the employees salary. I've never had turnover rates. I also advise my accountant to screw the IRS legally to the bone.

That's a good recipe. I don't know how many employees that I heard from that wanted a pat on the back. I found that that was worth more than the money for some. The young workers today want accolades and locality and money and will jump ship for higher money somewhere else. They will learn..

Yeah, it works pretty well. I trust my employees to make good decisions. I trust the govt to make bad decisions, hence the reason to screw them out of every penny possible.

That's for sure. I'm doing contract work in the Netherlands for an evil corporation while my employees run the show in the Triangle of North Carolina. You hire the right ones and trust them and they'll do right by you. the government on the other hand does nothing but screw me and waste my time and money. I don't cheat on my taxes because I keep my eye on the sparrow, but I totally support those that do. Our government is a far greater threat to us than any foreign government ever has. It's sad liberals don't grasp that. It would be nice if Republicans grasped that. They love government too despite the rhetoric of the left

I totally agree. That's exactly why I have no problem with the accountants using tax law to their advantage legally. What's hypocritical are the lil timmy geithner mouth pieces who espouse their glorious nature of how we should all pay more taxes while they cheat and owe millions in back taxes.

Maybe your employees don't care is because you don't care about them. I had an interesting (and for me a disgusting) conversation with the the owner of several Burger Kings. He's in the NFL Hall of Fame and pissed and moaned about his employees, kids mostly, just like you have.

I've built two companies and sold them. I took the industry mean and added 20 percent for the employees salary. I've never had turnover rates. I also advise my accountant to screw the IRS legally to the bone.

That's a good recipe. I don't know how many employees that I heard from that wanted a pat on the back. I found that that was worth more than the money for some. The young workers today want accolades and locality and money and will jump ship for higher money somewhere else. They will learn..

Yeah, it works pretty well. I trust my employees to make good decisions. I trust the govt to make bad decisions, hence the reason to screw them out of every penny possible.

That's for sure. I'm doing contract work in the Netherlands for an evil corporation while my employees run the show in the Triangle of North Carolina. You hire the right ones and trust them and they'll do right by you. the government on the other hand does nothing but screw me and waste my time and money. I don't cheat on my taxes because I keep my eye on the sparrow, but I totally support those that do. Our government is a far greater threat to us than any foreign government ever has. It's sad liberals don't grasp that. It would be nice if Republicans grasped that. They love government too despite the rhetoric of the left

I totally agree. That's exactly why I have no problem with the accountants using tax law to their advantage legally. What's hypocritical are the lil timmy geithner mouth pieces who espouse their glorious nature of how we should all pay more taxes while they cheat and owe millions in back taxes.

yes, Democrats being fine with their own tax cheats is completely pathetic as well as skin flints like Obama and Biden who give virtually nothing until they run for office and know they have to report it

One year after voters in the City of SeaTac agreed to increase the minimum wage to $15 per hour, city leaders have noticed little impact on the overall economy.

An estimated 1,500 total workers saw their minimum wage increase under the new law. Around 400 actually live in the city limits.

City manager Todd Cutts says there has been no impact on sales tax or property tax, and no measurable change in the number of business licenses issued.

1 year after $15 minimum wage, little impact in SeaTac

Sammi Babakrkhil got a whopping 57 percent raise.

A valet attendant and shuttle driver at a parking company called MasterPark, Babakrkhil saw his base wage jump from $9.55 per hour, before tips, up to $15. Having scraped by in America since immigrating from Afghanistan 11 years ago, he suddenly faced the pleasant predicament as his co-workers: What to do with the windfall?

For the overworked father of three, it wasn't a hard question. Babakrkhil decided to quit his other full-time job driving shuttles at a hotel down the road. Though he'd take home less money overall, the pay hike at MasterPark would allow him to work 40 hours a week instead of a brutal 80 -- and to actually spend time with his wife and three young girls.

My kids used to not see me," said Babakrkhil, who notes that the new work arrangement has also afforded him time to start exercising. "Now I make a little bit less, but I'm enjoying my life ... I'm happy this way."

Babakrkhil's colleague Deyo Hirata, who also received a considerable raise, said he now frets less about making ends meet. Though he has always taken pride in his job and maintained a good relationship with his managers, he says the wage hike has made him feel better rewarded for his labor

Keep in mind, no amount of facts will ever open the eyes and mind of those predisposed to the memes of conservative dogma.

A living wage is one which provides enough income to take care of basic needs: food, clothing, shelter, health care and some left over to save/invest for retirement.

See number 1 on Maslow's hierarchy of needs, and think about all five on the list:

http://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html

Should an employer pay a person a living wage even if that person is uneducated, inexperienced and/or untrustworthy?

There are jobs in this country that are not designed to be careers, they are called entry level jobs designed primarily for young people with no work experience, little skill and little knowledge. You can't expect an employer to pay top dollar for such an employee.

You and I may be on the same page but just looking at it differently.

I do expect an employer to treat employees fairly, not abuse them or exploit them. Some of these entry level jobs turn into careers for some, the reasons for that are myriad. To judge them as does Kaz without knowing the facts is asinine.

Your strawm-e-n are asinine. Care to address what I actually said, speed racer?

You lump all entry level (your phrase) into the same set. I simply pointed out in doing so the one commonality is the job, not the circumstances which lead them to such a job.

There are jobs in this country that are not designed to be careers, they are called entry level jobs designed primarily for young people with no work experience, little skill and little knowledge. You can't expect an employer to pay top dollar for such an employee.

You and I may be on the same page but just looking at it differently.

I do expect an employer to treat employees fairly, not abuse them or exploit them. Some of these entry level jobs turn into careers for some, the reasons for that are myriad. To judge them as does Kaz without knowing the facts is asinine.

Your strawm-e-n are asinine. Care to address what I actually said, speed racer?

You lump all entry level (your phrase) into the same set. I simply pointed out in doing so the one commonality is the job, not the circumstances which lead them to such a job.

Actually, "entry level" was lonestar's phrase, not mine. I made an observation based on my hiring experience. the ones who care make it fine, the ones who don't suck and eventually don't. What does "circumstances" have to do with that? Who doesn't grasp that you need to work to support yourself whatever your "circumstances" are? I mean except Democrats...

JAN. 4, 2012

Benjamin Franklin did it. Henry Ford did it. And American life is built on the faith that others can do it, too: rise from humble origins to economic heights. “Movin’ on up,” George Jefferson-style, is not only a sitcom song but a civil religion.

But many researchers have reached a conclusion that turns conventional wisdom on its head: Americans enjoy less economic mobility than their peers in Canada and much of Western Europe. The mobility gap has been widely discussed in academic circles, but a sour season of mass unemployment and street protests has moved the discussion toward center stage.

Former Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, a Republican candidate for president, warned this fall that movement “up into the middle income is actually greater, the mobility in Europe, than it is in America.National Review, a conservative thought leader, wrote that “most Western European and English-speaking nations have higher rates of mobility.” Even Representative Paul D. Ryan, a Wisconsin Republican who argues that overall mobility remains high, recently wrote that “mobility from the very bottom up” is “where the United States lags behind.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/05/us/harder-for-americans-to-rise-from-lower-rungs.html?_r=0

More modestly, you can at least clean yourself up and do a good job at work and become an assistant manager and keep going from there. Employers are always looking at who we can depend on, and we start looking with our own staff

Yep, in the Kaz Klown Kar world, statics and history don't matter, it was someone just being a slob or lazy *shaking head*

Your false premise Bubs?

You're an angry little maggot. Turn off your greed and turn on your ambition and you will go places. In the meantime, your Marxist rhetoric is as useless as you are

Your ad hom noted and ignored Bubs

Denmark MIN is about $21 an hour

Australia about $16 an hour

They STILL seem to make a profit?

We (318 million people) aren't Denmark (6 million people) or Australia (25 million people).

True, things like that can't be scaled up right? *shaking head*

Normally when two countries are being compared they are similar in size and economics. The comparison between a country of over three hundred million and a country with nearly six million is not a good comparison.

NAME the nation like the US? GDP of $18 trillion with 300+ million pop? Oops

Your inability to explain WHY the min wages they make can't be scaled up, is noted Bubs

JAN. 4, 2012

Your false premise Bubs?

Nope, what you posted contradicted nothing that I said

Your ad hom noted and ignored Bubs

what about your yelling and stomping your feet demanding other people's money?

JAN. 4, 2012

Your false premise Bubs?

Nope, what you posted contradicted nothing that I said

You mean the false premise you put up as truth??

Forum List

Back