Can anyone help me find lesser known Bible translations?

Does anyone know of any lesser known Bible translations or Bible translators where I could buy their translations?

About 12 years ago, a Bible college had used books with translations of the Bible by different translators. For some reason I didn't see the need then but I wish I had bought them. The Bible college has closed their bookstore and everyone buys their textbooks online.

I'm not talking about Bibles I could find in the CBD catalog, in Wallmart or Sam's Club.

I thought I would ask the Christians here and all the other Bible experts here to see what they know and if they can answer this.

Some friends gave me the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures. I find it helps me to better understand my King James version of the Bible.

Does anyone know of any lesser known Bible translations or Bible translators where I could buy their translations?

About 12 years ago, a Bible college had used books with translations of the Bible by different translators. For some reason I didn't see the need then but I wish I had bought them. The Bible college has closed their bookstore and everyone buys their textbooks online.

I'm not talking about Bibles I could find in the CBD catalog, in Wallmart or Sam's Club.

I thought I would ask the Christians here and all the other Bible experts here to see what they know and if they can answer this.

Some friends gave me the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures. I find it helps me to better understand my King James version of the Bible.

Speck,

There is no justification for that version. There are a lot of easy to read Bibles but even though I have one, it is a corrupt Bible and I don't ever consult it for truth.

Chuck

The problem with the christian translations is they start out with their conclusions and they try to rewrite the text to make it fit their conclusions.

I understand hebrew and it says nothing like what you posted.

Mike,

The two Orthodox Jews that I met recommended this Bible.
They didn't believe Messiah is God but they recommended this version.
I don't remember which version they recommended but it was this one.

I read more than one translation in order to meet you somewhere in the middle. Maybe you should do the same.

Chuck

No way.

The meaning means what it is supposed to mean based on the intention of the author.

It's not supposed to mean what the reader wants it to mean.

I can read and understand hebrew I don't need an actual translation.

If you want an actual translation below is the link to one.

The Complete Tanach with Rashi's Commentary - Tanakh Online - Torah - Bible

It's from the Judaica Press.

The problem with the christian translations is they start out with their conclusions and they try to rewrite the text to make it fit their conclusions.

I understand hebrew and it says nothing like what you posted.

Mike,

The two Orthodox Jews that I met recommended this Bible.
They didn't believe Messiah is God but they recommended this version.
I don't remember which version they recommended but it was this one.

I read more than one translation in order to meet you somewhere in the middle. Maybe you should do the same.

Chuck

No way.

The meaning means what it is supposed to mean based on the intention of the author.

It's not supposed to mean what the reader wants it to mean.

I can read and understand hebrew I don't need an actual translation.

If you want an actual translation below is the link to one.

The Complete Tanach with Rashi's Commentary - Tanakh Online - Torah - Bible

It's from the Judaica Press.

Do you have a Moses original manuscript, Mike?

In the Early Christian Church, the presumption that the Septuagint was translated by Jews before the era of Christ, and that the Septuagint at certain places gives itself more to a christological interpretation than 2nd-century Hebrew texts was taken as evidence that "Jews" had changed the Hebrew text in a way that made them less christological. For example, Irenaeus concerning Isaiah 7:14: The Septuagint clearly writes of a virgin that shall conceive. While the Hebrew text was, according to Irenaeus, at that time interpreted by Theodotion and Aquila (both proselytes of the Jewish faith) as a young woman that shall conceive. According to Irenaeus, the Ebionites used this to claim that Joseph was the (biological) father of Jesus. From Irenaeus' point of view that was pure heresy, facilitated by (late) anti-Christian alterations of the scripture in Hebrew, as evident by the older, pre-Christian, Septuagint.[35]

Septuagint - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is basically along the lines of what I heard over 25 years ago but disk drives weren't large enough or affordable for me to archive large amounts of data from Christian teachers who essentially say they reject the other manuscripts in favor of the Septuagint because the Jews didn't believe strongly enough.

If someone doesn't believe then maybe they behave like Eli the priest and don't rebuke their sons. Maybe G-d disciplines them by making them leave their homeland through captivity and scattered throughout the world. Many Jews don't believe today because of not only that but because of what the Holocaust did and what others have done to the Jewish people.

Deuteronomy 28:15 ¶ But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee:

Deuteronomy 28:25 The LORD shall cause thee to be smitten before thine enemies: thou shalt go out one way against them, and flee seven ways before them: and shalt be removed into all the kingdoms of the earth.

The external evidence shows that the Jewish people were removed from their homeland and the cause is Deuteronomy 28:15 and 25 which is disobedience caused by unbelief. People who don't obey because they don't believe would have a hard time understanding the scriptures to translate them.

Chuck

In the Early Christian Church, the presumption that the Septuagint was translated by Jews before the era of Christ, and that the Septuagint at certain places gives itself more to a christological interpretation than 2nd-century Hebrew texts was taken as evidence that "Jews" had changed the Hebrew text in a way that made them less christological. For example, Irenaeus concerning Isaiah 7:14: The Septuagint clearly writes of a virgin that shall conceive. While the Hebrew text was, according to Irenaeus, at that time interpreted by Theodotion and Aquila (both proselytes of the Jewish faith) as a young woman that shall conceive. According to Irenaeus, the Ebionites used this to claim that Joseph was the (biological) father of Jesus. From Irenaeus' point of view that was pure heresy, facilitated by (late) anti-Christian alterations of the scripture in Hebrew, as evident by the older, pre-Christian, Septuagint.[35]

This is basically along the lines of what I heard over 25 years ago but disk drives weren't large enough or affordable for me to archive large amounts of data from Christian teachers who essentially say they reject the other manuscripts in favor of the Septuagint because the Jews didn't believe strongly enough.

If someone doesn't believe then maybe they behave like Eli the priest and don't rebuke their sons. Maybe G-d disciplines them by making them leave their homeland through captivity and scattered throughout the world. Many Jews don't believe today because of not only that but because of what the Holocaust did and what others have done to the Jewish people.

Deuteronomy 28:15 ¶ But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee:

Deuteronomy 28:25 The LORD shall cause thee to be smitten before thine enemies: thou shalt go out one way against them, and flee seven ways before them: and shalt be removed into all the kingdoms of the earth.

The external evidence shows that the Jewish people were removed from their homeland and the cause is Deuteronomy 28:15 and 25 which is disobedience caused by unbelief. People who don't obey because they don't believe would have a hard time understanding the scriptures to translate them.

Chuck

Count Chuck Wikipedia is a horrible source. It gets things wrong all the time.

What you left out is G-D said that no matter how mad G-D may get at the jews, he will always take them back.

The Torah says nothing about a virgin giving birth. Christians rewrote young maiden to virgin. Almah is a young maiden. Betulah is a virgin.

The time jews were mostly punished by G-D was for idol worship such as worshipping false gods.

This is what christians are doing.

There is no difference between worshipping jesus and worshipping a golden calf.

Let's see if you can see who is obeying G-D and who isn't.

Hear O Israel, the L-rd is our G-D, the L-ord is ONE (Deut)

I am the Lord, and there is no other; apart from Me there is no God. ...so that from the rising of the Sun to the place of its setting men may know there is none besides Me. I am the Lord, and there is no other. (Isaiah, 45:5-6)

...I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like Me. (Isaiah, 46:9)

... so that all the peoples of the Earth may know that the Lord is God and that there is no other. (1 Kings, 8:60)

Turn to Me and be saved, all you ends of the Earth; for I am God, and there is no other. (Isaiah, 45:22)

This is what the Lord says…"Surely God is with you, and there is no other; there is no other God." (Isaiah, 45:14)

...The Lord our God, the Lord is one. (Deuteronomy, 6:4)

You are my witness--the words of Hashem--and My servant, whom I have chosen, so that you will know and believe in Me, and understand that I am He; before me nothing was created by a G-D, and after Me it shall not be (Isaiah 43:10)

... O Lord; no deeds can compare with Yours. All the nations You have made will come and worship before You, O Lord; they will bring glory to Your name. For You are great and do marvelous deeds; You alone are God. (Psalms, 86:8-10)

O Lord ...You alone are God over all the kingdoms of the Earth. You have made heaven and Earth. (Isaiah, 37:16)

... all kingdoms on Earth may know that You alone, O Lord, are God. (Isaiah, 37:20)

This is what the Lord says—your Redeemer, Who formed you in the womb: I am the Lord, Who has made all things, Who alone stretched out the heavens, Who spread out the Earth by Myself. (Isaiah, 44:24)

Since ancient times no one has heard, no ear has perceived, no eye has seen any God besides You, who acts on behalf of those who wait for Him. (Isaiah, 64:4)

For this is what the Lord says—He Who created the heavens, He is God; He Who fashioned and made the Earth, He founded it; He did not create it to be empty, but formed it to be inhabited—He says: "I am the Lord, and there is no other." (Isaiah, 45:18)

...Was it not I, the Lord? And there is no god apart from Me, a righteous God and a Savior; there is none but Me. (Isaiah, 45:21)

See now that I Myself am He! There is no god besides Me. I put to death and I bring to life, I have wounded and I will heal... (Deuteronomy, 32:39)

...you may know there is no one like the Lord our God. (Exodus, 8:10)

O Lord... there is no god like You in heaven above or on Earth below... (1 Kings, 8:23; 2 Chronicles, 6:14)

Then Asa called to the Lord his God and said, "Lord, there is no one like You to help the powerless against the mighty..."(2 Chronicles, 14:11)

I, even I, am the Lord, and apart from Me there is no savior. (Isaiah, 43:11)

There is no one like You, O Lord, and there is no god but You, as we have heard with our own ears. (1 Chronicles, 17:20; 2 Samuel, 7:22)

There is no one holy like the Lord; there is no one besides You; there is no strength like our God. (1 Samuel, 2:2)

His wisdom is profound, His power is vast. Who has resisted Him and come out unscathed. (Job, 9:4)

For You are great and do marvelous deeds; You alone are God. (Psalms, 86:10)

Praise Him for His acts of power; praise Him for His surpassing greatness. (Psalms, 150:2)

You alone are the Lord. You made the heavens, even the highest heavens, and all their starry host, the Earth and all that is on it, the seas and all that is in them. You give life to everything, and the multitudes of heaven worship You. (Nehemiah, 9:6)

They will say of Me, "In the Lord alone are righteousness and strength."... (Isaiah, 45:24)

You were shown these things so that you might know that the Lord is God; besides Him there is no other. (Deuteronomy, 4:35)

... Is there any god besides Me? No, there is no other strong one; I know not one. (Isaiah, 44:8)

This is what the Lord says—I am the first and I am the last; apart from Me there is no god. (Isaiah, 44:6)

Who has done this and carried it through, calling forth the generations from the beginning? I, the Lord—with the first of them and with the last—I am He." (Isaiah, 41:4)

O Lord, are You not from everlasting? My God, my Holy One… (Habakkuk 1:12)

Chuck

What you left out is G-D said that no matter how mad G-D may get at the jews, he will always take them back.

The Torah says nothing about a virgin giving birth. Christians rewrote young maiden to virgin. Almah is a young maiden. Betulah is a virgin.

The time jews were mostly punished by G-D was for idol worship such as worshipping false gods.

Mike,

The Wikipedia source doesn't have to be exact but it is close enough.

I have the debate about the virgin / young maiden discussion upstairs in a book.

The Lord G-D is one but it is a compound unity.

Genesis 19:24 Then the LORD (YHVH) rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD (YHVH) out of heaven;

This verse indiates that there are at least two in the compound unity because it denotes "from".

Genesis 19:18 And Lot said unto them, Oh, not so, my Lord:

Lot was talking to a theophany and the Lord in Genesis 19:18 rained fire from the Lord in heaven and they are one Lord (compound unity).

Yes Mike, G-d gave His promise to Abraham and G-d will keep His promise.

"G-DISNOWHERE"

There are no spaces. If you are a non-believer you might translate that "G-d is no where" or if you are a believer you might translate it "G-d is now here". It all depends on your focal points.

Chuck

Last edited:
Actually, Chuck - if one READS the story - Abel offered the very best of his efforts to YHVH, while Cain just presented 'whatever'.

The 'blood' or lack thereof is entirely beside the point: the POINT was that it's ot-nay oo-tay ight-bray of humans to be insincere or half-hearted in our devotion to the LORD.

Which is yet another reason I am certain He doesn't care so much which 'Book' we read, as He does how well we are *living* what we have read.

PS: Support for the above can also be found in the very passages from Leviticus which you quoted (out of context), as it specifies that if one cannot afford the birds, one may instead offer up FLOUR and OIL, which of course are non-animal products and obviously do not involve any 'blood'.

It is not within Jewish exegesis to use isolated verses as 'proof texts': we look at chapters, or books and assess verses in context of the events there. Applying Christian traditions to Jewish texts will not yield results which are even comprehensible to Jewish readers.

That is your opinion.

Well, that was certainly a cogent argument, lol.

Why don't you explain what you don't like in my post? As in, is there something which you feel is factually incorrect?

Do you disagree with Jewish exegetical methodology? Why?

As to 'what do Jews do for forgiveness of sins?' - one need look no further than the prophet who said "We will render bulls with our lips" after the Temple had been destroyed the first time.

If it was acceptable after the destruction of the First Temple, there's no reason to imagine that it wasn't acceptable after the destruction of the Second.

"For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you upon the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is in the blood that makes atonement for the soul."-Leviticus 17:11

There is no more Temple because Titus destroyed the Temple in 70 A.D. and there are no more sacrifices. How are you going to make atonement for your soul
There was no more Temple after the Babylonians destroyed the first one: irrelevant.

The way G-D told Cain to attone for his sins, by improving.

Genesis 4

Genesis - Chapter 4 (Parshah Bereishit) - Tanakh Online - Torah - Bible

7. Is it not so that if you improve, it will be forgiven you? If you do not improve, however, at the entrance, sin is lying, and to you is its longing, but you can rule over it."

Mike,

That is just one translation.

6 ADONAI said to Kayin, "Why are you angry? Why so downcast? 7 If you are doing what is good, shouldn't you hold your head high? And if you don't do what is good, sin is crouching at the door - it wants you, but you can rule over it."

Genesis 4 (Complete Jewish Bible)
Genesis 4 - CJB - Online Bible Study

It says nothing about atonement. You read into the text.

We generally don't read the Torah in translation, Chuck. What you are using there is a *Christian* oriented translation, and not a Jewish one. And it's a translation. : what does the original say?

"sin wants you, but you can rule over it" is - to Jewish understanding - a clear statement that atonement is effective. The Jewish understanding of 'at-one-ment' does not REQUIRE blood: the meaning of 'essential ingredient' is one for which there is no substitution.

The offerings in Leviticus are for 'ritual' impurity regarding Temple rituals: they are not about sins against other people, which of course always involve a sin against YHVH. So obviously 'blood' was never a 'universal' requirement to begin with.

We generally don't read the Torah in translation, Chuck. What you are using there is a *Christian* oriented translation, and not a Jewish one. And it's a translation. : what does the original say?

Then where did you get your definitions? Everyone has to get their definitions from somewhere. That is translation even if you don't call it that.

Last edited:

Speck,

There is no justification for that version. There are a lot of easy to read Bibles but even though I have one, it is a corrupt Bible and I don't ever consult it for truth.

Chuck

Of course, everyone has their own opinion. I've read online that it is one of the most accurate translations. Like everything, some like it and some don't. I didn't see it mentioned and wasn't aware you had one.

Speck,

Chuck

Of course, everyone has their own opinion. I've read online that it is one of the most accurate translations. Like everything, some like it and some don't. I didn't see it mentioned and wasn't aware you had one.

Speck,

May I ask if you are a Jehovah's Witness?

Chuck

Speck,

Chuck

Speck,

May I ask if you are a Jehovah's Witness?

Chuck

I'm not but I have friends that are.

Then where did you get your definitions? Everyone has to get their definitions from somewhere. That is translation even if you don't call it that.

I can read and understand the hebrew.

I don't need the bible to be translated to greek or latin and then to english.

Speck,

Some who are promoting the English Standard Version say is so good that you don't need a dictionary.

Some read the New Living Translation for readability.

I think almost any Bible is better than the New World Translation.

Chuck

Until I look it up, Mike, this is what I found on the web:

The Septuagint (LXX)

http://home.comcast.net/~jovial/learn/mc/TanakVersions.htm

Chuck

The Septuagint (LXX)

Chuck

It's wrong of course.

Most of the jews who take Torah learning seriously and have studied, study the Torah in Hebrew. They don't need translations.

The Septuagint (LXX)

Chuck

It's wrong of course.

Most of the jews who take Torah learning seriously and have studied, study the Torah in Hebrew. They don't need translations.

And you never had competing high places either or wicked kings like Manasseh?
You never had idolatry so everyone did what was right?

Chuck

Mike,

The Wikipedia source doesn't have to be exact but it is close enough.

I have the debate about the virgin / young maiden discussion upstairs in a book.

That's exciting. However, it's not really a debate. Christians rewrote it.

It means a "young maiden".

The Lord G-D is one but it is a compound unity.

That is a complete christian creation.

Genesis 19:24 Then the LORD (YHVH) rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD (YHVH) out of heaven;

This verse indiates that there are at least two in the compound unity because it denotes "from".

The word "from" isn't from a noun. It certainly isn't plural.

As far as the format here is rashi explaining it.

from heaven: This is what Scripture says (Job 36:31): “For He judges the nations therewith” [i.e., with the heavens]. When He comes to chastise mankind, He brings upon them fire from heaven, as He did to Sodom, and when He comes to let down the manna, [it is also] from heaven [as Scripture states] (Exod. 16:4): “Behold I am raining down to you bread from heaven.” - [from Tan. Buber, Beshallach 20]

Genesis 19:18 And Lot said unto them, Oh, not so, my Lord:

Lot was talking to a theophany and the Lord in Genesis 19:18 rained fire from the Lord in heaven and they are one Lord (compound unity).

Remember the angels were there too?

Once again, here are verses, where G-D states clearly that there is only him, and to worship anyone else but him is a very big sin.

No where does the christian parts theory come in :cuckoo:

Hear O Israel, the L-rd is our G-D, the L-ord is ONE (Deut)
I am the Lord, and there is no other; apart from Me there is no God. ...so that from the rising of the Sun to the place of its setting men may know there is none besides Me. I am the Lord, and there is no other. (Isaiah, 45:5-6)

...I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like Me. (Isaiah, 46:9)

... so that all the peoples of the Earth may know that the Lord is God and that there is no other. (1 Kings, 8:60)

Turn to Me and be saved, all you ends of the Earth; for I am God, and there is no other. (Isaiah, 45:22)

This is what the Lord says…"Surely God is with you, and there is no other; there is no other God." (Isaiah, 45:14)

...The Lord our God, the Lord is one. (Deuteronomy, 6:4)

You are my witness--the words of Hashem--and My servant, whom I have chosen, so that you will know and believe in Me, and understand that I am He; before me nothing was created by a G-D, and after Me it shall not be (Isaiah 43:10)

... O Lord; no deeds can compare with Yours. All the nations You have made will come and worship before You, O Lord; they will bring glory to Your name. For You are great and do marvelous deeds; You alone are God. (Psalms, 86:8-10)

O Lord ...You alone are God over all the kingdoms of the Earth. You have made heaven and Earth. (Isaiah, 37:16)

... all kingdoms on Earth may know that You alone, O Lord, are God. (Isaiah, 37:20)

This is what the Lord says—your Redeemer, Who formed you in the womb: I am the Lord, Who has made all things, Who alone stretched out the heavens, Who spread out the Earth by Myself. (Isaiah, 44:24)

Since ancient times no one has heard, no ear has perceived, no eye has seen any God besides You, who acts on behalf of those who wait for Him. (Isaiah, 64:4)

For this is what the Lord says—He Who created the heavens, He is God; He Who fashioned and made the Earth, He founded it; He did not create it to be empty, but formed it to be inhabited—He says: "I am the Lord, and there is no other." (Isaiah, 45:18)

...Was it not I, the Lord? And there is no god apart from Me, a righteous God and a Savior; there is none but Me. (Isaiah, 45:21)

See now that I Myself am He! There is no god besides Me. I put to death and I bring to life, I have wounded and I will heal... (Deuteronomy, 32:39)

...you may know there is no one like the Lord our God. (Exodus, 8:10)

O Lord... there is no god like You in heaven above or on Earth below... (1 Kings, 8:23; 2 Chronicles, 6:14)

Then Asa called to the Lord his God and said, "Lord, there is no one like You to help the powerless against the mighty..."(2 Chronicles, 14:11)

I, even I, am the Lord, and apart from Me there is no savior. (Isaiah, 43:11)

There is no one like You, O Lord, and there is no god but You, as we have heard with our own ears. (1 Chronicles, 17:20; 2 Samuel, 7:22)

There is no one holy like the Lord; there is no one besides You; there is no strength like our God. (1 Samuel, 2:2)

The Septuagint (LXX)

Chuck

It's wrong of course.

And you never had competing high places either or wicked kings like Manasseh?
You never had idolatry so everyone did what was right?
And that has what to do with translations?

Forum List

Back