Can anyone help me find lesser known Bible translations?

And yes, Chuck - that goes for every single other religion on the planet, equally. There is simply no reason to not treat all religions one's not an adherent of equally.... unless, of course, one of the religions claims to be the one, the true, the ONLY WAY for EVERYONE. In which case, they're philosophically no different from Nazis AFAICT

Mike,

Your religion suffers from the same problems that mine does.
You just don't recognize it in public.

Numbers 25:4 And the LORD said unto Moses, Take all the heads of the people, and hang them up before the LORD against the sun, that the fierce anger of the LORD may be turned away from Israel.

Numbers 25:5 And Moses said unto the judges of Israel, Slay ye every one his men that were joined unto Baalpeor.

Where did Israel get their land and who was it taken from?

Why did G-D send Jonah to Ninevah?

Jonah 3:4 And Jonah began to enter into the city a day's journey, and he cried, and said, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown.

Exdodus 33:19 And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy.

It implies that some may not get mercy.

1 Samuel 15:3 Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

So what were you trying to say?

Chuck

The only chief cornerstone is the one and only G-D. Worshipping anyone else is basically calling G-D a liar.

I think you misunderstand Christian teaching.

We don't believe in three G-ds. We don't believe in modalism or tritheism.

We believe God exists in three persons and we can point to it in Genesis and throughout the Old Testament.

Our creeds would say something like this:

We believe that the Godhead eternally exists in three persons—the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit—and that these three are one God, having precisely the same nature, attributes, and perfections, and worthy of precisely the same homage, confidence, and obedience (Matt. 28:18–19; Mark 12:29; John 1:14; Acts 5:3–4; 2 Cor. 13:14; Heb. 1:1–3; Rev. 1:4–6).

Doctrinal Statement | Dallas Theological Seminary (DTS)
Thru the Bible Radio Network

An easier way to think about it is that God took on a body ("was made flesh" John 1:14) for starters.

So this idea that we're worshipping someone else is not a contradiction in my mind and any suggestion of yours won't work because it is a misunderstanding on your part.

Chuck, Chuck, Chuck, once again you need to look at the context, which for some reason you continuously ignore.

"For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you upon the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is in the blood that makes atonement for the soul."-Leviticus 17:11

There is no more Temple because Titus destroyed the Temple in 70 A.D. and there are no more sacrifices. How are you going to make atonement for your soul

The way G-D told Cain to attone for his sins, by improving.

Genesis 4

Genesis - Chapter 4 (Parshah Bereishit) - Tanakh Online - Torah - Bible

7. Is it not so that if you improve, it will be forgiven you? If you do not improve, however, at the entrance, sin is lying, and to you is its longing, but you can rule over it."

Mike,

The reason I never invested in the Tanakh is because I asked a doctor in theology and he didn't think it was a better translation than what we have or I would have bought it.

The translation is suspect in my mind because if man could improve then Adam and Eve didn't have to die spiritually, animals wouldn't have had to be slain and so forth.

Abel's offering was accepted because it was a prescribed offering and Cain's wasn't.
Cain's offering wasn't a blood offering so it was rejected. Read the context because even the context disproves that translation. It is an excuse by unbelieving people to use that translation to not do what G-d requires of them.

Chuck

And yes, Chuck - that goes for every single other religion on the planet, equally. There is simply no reason to not treat all religions one's not an adherent of equally.... unless, of course, one of the religions claims to be the one, the true, the ONLY WAY for EVERYONE. In which case, they're philosophically no different from Nazis AFAICT

Mike,

Your religion suffers from the same problems that mine does.
You just don't recognize it in public.

Numbers 25:4 And the LORD said unto Moses, Take all the heads of the people, and hang them up before the LORD against the sun, that the fierce anger of the LORD may be turned away from Israel.

Numbers 25:5 And Moses said unto the judges of Israel, Slay ye every one his men that were joined unto Baalpeor.

Where did Israel get their land and who was it taken from?

Why did G-D send Jonah to Ninevah?

Jonah 3:4 And Jonah began to enter into the city a day's journey, and he cried, and said, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown.

Exdodus 33:19 And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy.

It implies that some may not get mercy.

1 Samuel 15:3 Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

So what were you trying to say?

Chuck

You are responding to Marge, not me.

What are you trying to say?

Yes, some people don't deserve mercy.

Your point?

The only chief cornerstone is the one and only G-D. Worshipping anyone else is basically calling G-D a liar.

We believe God exists in three persons and we can point to it in Genesis and throughout the Old Testament..

I don't know what the Old Testament is?

However, three persons are multiple gods. The Lo-r is our G-D, the L-rd is one

And no you can't find it in Genesis. That is only in christian rewrites.

Then respect my religion and I'll respect yours.

Calling my bible the Old Testament is offensive.

Mike,

No is is calling the Torah the Old Testament in order to be offensive to Jews.
Christianity is a major religion and that is what the first 39 books are called..

Chuck

Chuck - 'argument from numbers' is a logical fallacy.

Judaism was around for 1600 years before anyone thought of calling themselves a 'Christian'. It would be technically correct and NOT disrespectful of anyone to refer to it as 'the Hebrew Bible'.....

And a further reminder, since you seem to keep forgetting: Regardless of the 'size' of Christianity or any given person's devotion to that faith, nobody else on the planet has the least 'duty' to believe in Christianity. Nor do Christians have any right whatsoever to get their knickers in a knot over that fact.

You make an excellent point.

The Torah was around about 1600 years before christianity.

To try and rename our holy scriptures to fit into the christian agenda is highly arrogant.

Last edited:

We believe God exists in three persons and we can point to it in Genesis and throughout the Old Testament..

No. Your version shows at least two:

24. And the Lord caused to rain down upon Sodom and Gomorrah brimstone and fire, from the Lord, from heaven.

Genesis - Chapter 19 (Parshah Vayeira) - Tanakh Online - Torah - Bible

I won't accept your argument as I've told you before and neither should any Christian.

Last edited:

No. Your version shows at least two:

24. And the Lord caused to rain down upon Sodom and Gomorrah brimstone and fire, from the Lord, from heaven.

Genesis - Chapter 19 (Parshah Vayeira) - Tanakh Online - Torah - Bible

I won't accept your argument as I've told you before and neither should any Christian.

And your point from the passage is?

Actually, Chuck - if one READS the story - Abel offered the very best of his efforts to YHVH, while Cain just presented 'whatever'.

The 'blood' or lack thereof is entirely beside the point: the POINT was that it's ot-nay oo-tay ight-bray of humans to be insincere or half-hearted in our devotion to the LORD.

Which is yet another reason I am certain He doesn't care so much which 'Book' we read, as He does how well we are *living* what we have read.

PS: Support for the above can also be found in the very passages from Leviticus which you quoted (out of context), as it specifies that if one cannot afford the birds, one may instead offer up FLOUR and OIL, which of course are non-animal products and obviously do not involve any 'blood'.

It is not within Jewish exegesis to use isolated verses as 'proof texts': we look at chapters, or books and assess verses in context of the events there. Applying Christian traditions to Jewish texts will not yield results which are even comprehensible to Jewish readers.

Last edited:
"For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you upon the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is in the blood that makes atonement for the soul."-Leviticus 17:11

There is no more Temple because Titus destroyed the Temple in 70 A.D. and there are no more sacrifices. How are you going to make atonement for your soul

Genesis 4

7. Is it not so that if you improve, it will be forgiven you? If you do not improve, however, at the entrance, sin is lying, and to you is its longing, but you can rule over it."

Mike,

The reason I never invested in the Tanakh is because I asked a doctor in theology and he didn't think it was a better translation than what we have or I would have bought it.

The translation is suspect in my mind because if man could improve then Adam and Eve didn't have to die spiritually, animals wouldn't have had to be slain and so forth.

Abel's offering was accepted because it was a prescribed offering and Cain's wasn't.
Cain's offering wasn't a blood offering so it was rejected. Read the context because even the context disproves that translation. It is an excuse by unbelieving people to use that translation to not do what G-d requires of them.

Chuck

The Tanach isn't a publisher or a translation. The Tanach is the five books of Moses plus prophets and scriptures.

Marge beat me to it. Abel's offering was the best of his crops, and Cain's wasn't.

That's why it was rejected.

It has nothing to do with blood.

What's with this obsession with blood? Are you part vampire?

Actually, Chuck - if one READS the story - Abel offered the very best of his efforts to YHVH, while Cain just presented 'whatever'.

The 'blood' or lack thereof is entirely beside the point: the POINT was that it's ot-nay oo-tay ight-bray of humans to be insincere or half-hearted in our devotion to the LORD.

Which is yet another reason I am certain He doesn't care so much which 'Book' we read, as He does how well we are *living* what we have read.

PS: Support for the above can also be found in the very passages from Leviticus which you quoted (out of context), as it specifies that if one cannot afford the birds, one may instead offer up FLOUR and OIL, which of course are non-animal products and obviously do not involve any 'blood'.
It is not within Jewish exegesis to use isolated verses as 'proof texts': we look at chapters, or books and assess verses in context of the events there. Applying Christian traditions to Jewish texts will not yield results which are even comprehensible to Jewish readers.

Excellent point.

Does anyone know of any lesser known Bible translations or Bible translators where I could buy their translations?

About 12 years ago, a Bible college had used books with translations of the Bible by different translators. For some reason I didn't see the need then but I wish I had bought them. The Bible college has closed their bookstore and everyone buys their textbooks online.

I'm not talking about Bibles I could find in the CBD catalog, in Wallmart or Sam's Club.

I thought I would ask the Christians here and all the other Bible experts here to see what they know and if they can answer this.

I have about 20 in my house. The Word is pretty well the same right across the board.

You have to listen to the Holy Spirit to interpret the words. So you see the printed page means nothing unless you have him guiding you along.

Genesis 4

Mike,

Chuck

The Tanach isn't a publisher or a translation. The Tanach is the five books of Moses plus prophets and scriptures.

Marge beat me to it. Abel's offering was the best of his crops, and Cain's wasn't.

That's funny I had to laugh.

Chuck, Chuck, Chuck, once again you need to look at the context, which for some reason you continuously ignore.

Genesis 4

Mike,

That is just one translation.

6 ADONAI said to Kayin, "Why are you angry? Why so downcast? 7 If you are doing what is good, shouldn't you hold your head high? And if you don't do what is good, sin is crouching at the door - it wants you, but you can rule over it."

Genesis 4 (Complete Jewish Bible)
Genesis 4 - CJB - Online Bible Study

It says nothing about atonement. You read into the text.

Genesis 4

Mike,

Chuck

4 and Hevel too brought from the firstborn of his sheep, including their fat.

No. Abel brought the firstborn of his sheep. It was a blood sacrifice.
I don't accept your interpretation or translation.

That is your opinion.

Genesis 4

Mike,

That is just one translation.

6 ADONAI said to Kayin, "Why are you angry? Why so downcast? 7 If you are doing what is good, shouldn't you hold your head high? And if you don't do what is good, sin is crouching at the door - it wants you, but you can rule over it."

It says nothing about atonement. You read into the text.

The problem with the christian translations is they start out with their conclusions and they try to rewrite the text to make it fit their conclusions.

I understand hebrew and it says nothing like what you posted.

That is your opinion.

3. Now it came to pass at the end of days, that Cain brought of the fruit of the soil an offering to the Lord.

4. And Abel he too brought of the firstborn of his flocks and of their fattest, and the Lord turned to Abel and to his offering

5. But to Cain and to his offering He did not turn, and it annoyed Cain exceedingly, and his countenance fell.

Please post where G-D says anything about being annoyed about a lack of blood Count Chuck?

The problem with the christian translations is they start out with their conclusions and they try to rewrite the text to make it fit their conclusions.

I understand hebrew and it says nothing like what you posted.

Mike,

The two Orthodox Jews that I met recommended this Bible.
They didn't believe Messiah is God but they recommended this version.
I don't remember which version they recommended but it was this one.

I read more than one translation in order to meet you somewhere in the middle. Maybe you should do the same.

Chuck

Forum List

Back