Can government check ID to buy a gun and vote?

Is checking your ID to get a Constitutional right a violuation of your Constitutional Rights?

• No: It's fine to check your ID, including to buy a gun and to vote

• No: It's fine to check ID to buy a gun but it's not OK to check an ID to vote

• Yes: It's not OK to check an ID to buy a gun, but voting isn't a Constitutional right so ID is OK

• Yes: It's not OK to check an ID to buy a gun or to vote

Results are only viewable after voting.
I know that you are more interested in doing it than stopping fraud. You want to put an undue burden on poor people

Stopped reading here. First of all, you're not in a position to call anyone a dick, dyke, when you say crap like this.

And second, your contention that looking up on the internet one of the 37 types of id the State takes and going to a government office to get a FREE ID is an "undue burden" is ridiculous, and it's proof that you want fraud because you know it benefits Democrats. My daughter, getting her PhD at Berkley managed to do it, so can you. The students who can't you're whining about who can't follow simple instructions to get a free ID don't deserve degrees much less voter IDs, what a bunch of idiots

And third, that you then support a far more onerous requirement to get a gun, which is an actual Constitutional right, shows what a flaming hypocrite you are. It's all about votes and winning elections, no matter how you can do it. That's your goal

I know that you are more interested in doing it than stopping fraud. You want to put an undue burden on poor people

Stopped reading here. First of all, you're not in a position to call anyone a dick, dyke, when you say crap like this.

And second, your contention that looking up on the internet one of the 37 types of id the State takes and going to a government office to get a FREE ID is an "undue burden" is ridiculous, and it's proof that you want fraud because you know it benefits Democrats. My daughter, getting her PhD at Berkley managed to do it, so can you. The students who can't you're whining about who can't follow simple instructions to get a free ID don't deserve degrees much less voter IDs, what a bunch of idiots

And third, that you then support a far more onerous requirement to get a gun, which is an actual Constitutional right, shows what a flaming hypocrite you are. It's all about votes and winning elections, no matter how you can do it. That's your goal

Wow...dyke. That's, whooo, I don't know...so biting. Take you a long time to come up with "dyke"?

Many states don't take 37 types of ID...which is the problem with the restrictive ID states...again, what I've been saying this whole time.

And don't lie, you stopped reading because I offered you proof of what I've been saying, that Voter ID laws don't stop fraud but they do stop qualified voters from voting. But of course, they would probably vote Democrat so that's really the goal of these laws, not stopping fraud.

Wow...dyke. That's, whooo, I don't know...so biting. Take you a long time to come up with "dyke"?

No, it's a takeoff on how you've been using the word "dick." You answer your questions for your choice of that first. Doesn't your ass just flame from the hypocrisy? Or it doesn't bother you?

Many states don't take 37 types of ID...which is the problem with the restrictive ID states...again, what I've been saying this whole time.
So they make it difficult to get an ID to buy a gun, infringing on our Constitutional rights? Wow, that really bothers you, doen't it?

Can you be more specific than "many states?" Who requires an unreasonable standard?

And don't lie, you stopped reading because I offered you proof of what I've been saying, that Voter ID laws don't stop fraud but they do stop qualified voters from voting. But of course, they would probably vote Democrat so that's really the goal of these laws, not stopping fraud.

Sopped reading at "don't lie" because I didn't

No, it's a takeoff on how you've been using the word "dick." You answer your questions for your choice of that first. Doesn't your ass just flame from the hypocrisy? Or it doesn't bother you?

I am a dyke and you are a dick so I works.

So they make it difficult to get an ID to buy a gun, infringing on our Constitutional rights? Wow, that really bothers you, doen't it?

Is a state issued, current photo ID required to purchase a firearm?

No. Clinton’s line was true: The sad facts about assault weapons and voting - Salon.com

Can you be more specific than "many states?" Who requires an unreasonable standard?

Already was. Try reading the provided links. Pennsylvania for one...

Judge strikes down Pennsylvania voter ID law - CNNPolitics.com

"Can government check ID to buy a gun and vote?"

This fails as a false comparison fallacy.

Although inalienable, the rights to possess a firearm and to vote are not absolute, and subject to reasonable restrictions by government. (See e.g. DC v. Heller)

Current Second Amendment jurisprudence holds that background checks are Constitutional as a reasonable regulatory measure.
This is a lie.

This is not the case with regard to requiring citizens to show ID to vote when they are already registered to vote, are listed on registration rolls as being eligible to vote, and have already provided the required ID when initially registering to vote.
Why do you always forget explain how verification of ID when registering to vote also verifies the ID of the prospective voter when at the poll?

I am a dyke and you are a dick so I works.

Is a state issued, current photo ID required to purchase a firearm?

No. Clinton’s line was true: The sad facts about assault weapons and voting - Salon.com

Already was. Try reading the provided links. Pennsylvania for one...

Judge strikes down Pennsylvania voter ID law - CNNPolitics.com

Um ... dick ... er dyke ... I mean dick ... which ever one you are. Did you read that? It didn't list a single requirement that was onerous, it said you need a "photo." What is it with liberals you're missing a dick to say who you are. Or is that a dyke. or a dick?

I don't know ask Sarah, she knows dick too, the dyke

Absent a state-issued photo ID, how does the state verify that the person at the poll asking for a ballot is who he says he is?

Absent a state-issued photo ID, how does the state verify that the person at the poll asking for a ballot is who he says he is?

It's not up to the State, it is up to the person working the polls. Thus if the person validating you to vote...or purchase a firearm...knows you are you...no ID required...but if they don't, and nobody else can vouch for you, sure, some ID would be prudent.

It's this one-size fits all bullshit that I hate. Why the fuck should I have to show ID to my own fucking sibling or neighbor? We get way too stupid and silly with the red tape.

They are signing a roster under penalty of perjury that they are who they say they are and live where it says they live.

In my county the majority of ballots are cast by mail.

If I'm voting by mail, who do I present my ID to?

Can ANYONE (since the OP can't) provide 10 prosecuted cases of voter fraud that would have been stopped by photo ID?

Why Voter ID Laws Aren’t Really about Fraud – Government / Elections / Politics - FRONTLINE

They are signing a roster under penalty of perjury that they are who they say they are and live where it says they live.
So... you cannot provide a sound answer to my question.
Thank you.

It's not up to the State, it is up to the person working the polls.
That person is "the state", as in "actor of".

Thank you.

I gave you the answer. It's how it works in over half the states...and there are no more incidents of in person fraud than in restrictive ID states.

You present your ID when you register.

Thank you.
I gave you the answer.
Yes -- that, absent the state-issued ID, there is no verification.

Thank you.
I gave you the answer.

There doesn't need to be. And, again, I'm not opposed to verification, I just don't believe it should be as restrictive as many states, like Texas, have made it. (From the previous link)

Laws that require photo ID at the polls vary, but the strictest laws limit the forms of acceptable documentation to only a handful of cards. For example, in Texas, voters must show one of seven forms of state or federal-issue photo ID, with a valid expiration date: a driver’s license, a personal ID card issued by the state, a concealed handgun license, a military ID, citizenship certificate or a passport. The name on the ID must exactly match the one on the voter rolls.

Which means if you got married, updated your license but forgot to update your registration, you're denied.

For what?

An analysis by News21, a journalism project at Arizona State University, found 28 cases of voter fraud convictions since 2000. Of those, 14 percent involved absentee ballot fraud. Voter impersonation, the form of fraud that voter ID laws are designed to prevent, made up only 3.6 percent of those cases. (Other types included double voting, the most common form, at 25 percent, and felons voting when they were prohibited from doing so. But neither of those would be prevented by voter ID laws, either.)​

Thank you.
I gave you the answer.
There doesn't need to be.
Given the fact that the meaningful exercise of the right to vote -- indeed, the meaningful exercise of democracy itself - is predicated on the idea that everyone who casts a ballot is who they say they are, are legally able to vote and are voting in the right place, why does there not need to be a system to positively identify the person claiming to be someone at the voting poll?

By the way, what I DID notice about the "reference" in the OP was that it suggested that the notion of mandatory voting was kind of fascist.

By contrast, what g.5 contends is that voter identification arguments are the same as something called for by nazis. :cuckoo:

g.5 may not be honest, but at least his form of argumentation is just plain stupid.

There are restrictions on why you don't allow someone to vote.

Nope. There are protections of the right to vote. Not restrictions.

And the fifteenth amendment specifically mentions the right to vote.

" The right of citizens of the United States to vote..."

Doesn't get more clear than that.

You made up that quote, it's not in the 15th amendment

Amendment XV, ratified by the states in 1870:

"Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation."

I think g.5 is a twit, but his partial quote of the 15th Amendment is right.

There are restrictions on why you don't allow someone to vote.

Nope. There are protections of the right to vote. Not restrictions.

And the fifteenth amendment specifically mentions the right to vote.

" The right of citizens of the United States to vote..."

Doesn't get more clear than that.

You made up that quote, it's not in the 15th amendment

Amendment XV, ratified by the states in 1870:

"Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation."

I think g.5 is a twit, but his partial quote of the 15th Amendment is right.

He quoted a sentence fragment, it doesn't say that as an actual free standing quote

Forum List

Back