Can someone educate MTG on the process of swearing in a new politician?

I don’t care which deity appears where or means what.
Then you are good with still using the Bible.

Requiring that one swear an oath on a religious text is forcing religion on someone
Has never been a problem for anyone in the past 250 years. I suggest you stay out of government if it bothers you so much. I was baptized a Lutheran, but to be honest, swung east in my teens growing up finding far more substance in older religions, but I would never question still using the Bible swearing in as THAT IS THE WAY WE DO IT HERE IN AMERICA.

Unless you think the Bible is just a book.
Of course it is a book. What did you think it was?

If so, why would you require someone to swear on it?
Because that is part of the ceremony as always has been done since the 18th century and our Founders. But if anything goes, then maybe you'd prefer our next leaders to swear their oath on a framed picture of Vladimir Putin!

If you are swearing an oath, it is supposed to mean something and be sworn on something meaningful to you.
So the Bible and only the Bible means something?
DON'T EVEN GO THERE with the moral relativity of "freedom." Complete freedom is ANARCHY. In America, our TRADITION has always been swearing your oath to God with your hand on a BIBLE. PERIOD. End of story.

Then you are good with still using the Bible.

Has never been a problem for anyone in the past 250 years. I suggest you stay out of government if it bothers you so much. I was baptized a Lutheran, but to be honest, swung east in my teens growing up finding far more substance in older religions, but I would never question still using the Bible swearing in as THAT IS THE WAY WE DO IT HERE IN AMERICA.

Of course it is a book. What did you think it was?

Because that is part of the ceremony as always has been done since the 18th century and our Founders. But if anything goes, then maybe you'd prefer our next leaders to swear their oath on a framed picture of Vladimir Putin!

DON'T EVEN GO THERE with the moral relativity of "freedom." Complete freedom is ANARCHY. In America, our TRADITION has always been swearing your oath to God with your hand on a BIBLE. PERIOD. End of story.
Disagree.

If I swear an oath, it is supposed to mean something binding. That is why I would swear it on something deeply meaning so I wouldn’t break it.

Disagree. If I swear an oath, it is supposed to mean something binding.

IT DOES. It means you are swearing an oath of allegiance to America. And part of the long established traditional ceremony in doing that is that WE USE THE BIBLE.

Joe Biden says he is a Catholic. He swore his oath to office using a Bible. But apparently that wasn't deeply meaning to him either as he violated the Constitution countless times, he has violated his faith countless times (remember the Pope telling Joe to stay home?), and he has violated his promise to put the American people first countless times.

So obviously, using something deeply meaningful to you or not is no guarantee of anything.

Disagree.

If I swear an oath, it is supposed to mean something binding. That is why I would swear it on something deeply meaning so I wouldn’t break it.
Not supposed to swear on the Quran

You're arguing with liberals who refuse to admit we were founded as a Christian nation.

And yet, the founding fathers made sure there was no national religion. We were mostly Christian, but the nation itself was not officially Christian.

She thinks you cannot take the oath of office using a Quran. Can someone tell her that there is no requirement to use the Bible?

Thomas Jefferson used the Quran, as have many other elected officials.

I’m curious, how many Islamic countries are swearing in government officials with the Bible? I’ll patiently wait…

The Constitution written by Christians?

Yes it was. And those Christians made sure than this country was secular and did not have a national religion.

There is a difference between a mostly Christian population and a Christian nation.

Forum List

Back