Can someone explain what has happened to the GOP?

Do you understand what strength is?

Making unreasonable demands that the other party will not agree to is not strength. Trump does not have strength with Congress and does not have strength with other nations

Mexico will not pay for his wall
Congress will not repeal Obamacare

Bravado is not strength

Being happy to "walk away" from the table is great except when the guy on the other side happens to own your livelihood.

Basically the trump supporters are putting their faith in someone who has never done anything that they are electing him for.

He has never "brought jobs back" to the nation (whatever that means). He has zero leverage with Apple, Samsung, etc... And if you think the people will be happy with a 50% tariff on every I-Phone made....uh no.

Negotiating trade deals? Never done it.

Standing up to Russia? Never done it...

You'd figure at some point they'd embrace the reality of the situation...

I don't want him to "stand up to Russia".

I want him to NOT fuck with Russia.

The COld War is over. I don't care about Russia.

He has plenty of experience negotiating. And if he is negotiating with the interests of Americans as his goal, then he is already far ahead of everyone else who has negotiated for US for a long time.
No

And no one he will be negotiating with will own our "livelihood". We own theirs.

We are the largest Economy and Market in the World. We have leverage like no one else.

And we have made no effort to use it to our advantage.

Trump has not negotiated with foreign nations. His tactics will be laughed at in the international community who is not enthralled with the Trump name

THe media hasn't been enthralled by the Trump name and he has been 5 steps ahead of them the whole time.

Trump will do fine. And he will be negotiating from a position of strength.

No one is going to laugh at the US.
They laughed at Bush when he tried the " my way or the highway" tactics

I doubt the world will take Trump seriously.....or congress for that matter

He's threatening tariffs.

No one will laugh at him.

Not when he controls access to the world's largest market and is willing to use that power.

Congress? YOu mean the dems will refuse to work with him?

So, you can't support your claim at all.

Good. That's settled.

A President Trump, would for the first time in living memory negotiate from a position of strength and with the interests of the American Worker as his goal AND with world class skill.

:beer:

Making unreasonable demands that the other party will not agree to is not strength. Trump does not have strength with Congress and does not have strength with other nations

Bravado is not strength

Being happy to "walk away" from the table is great except when the guy on the other side happens to own your livelihood.

Basically the trump supporters are putting their faith in someone who has never done anything that they are electing him for.

He has never "brought jobs back" to the nation (whatever that means). He has zero leverage with Apple, Samsung, etc... And if you think the people will be happy with a 50% tariff on every I-Phone made....uh no.

Trump has bullied local politicians to get his real estate projects approved. Won't work with foreign nations. Trumps threats to carpet bomb or invade unless he gets his way will be laughed at

Trump will be the head of the world's largest economy and the world's largest market.

When he starts his negotiation with his normal Extreme Demand Opening Position, no one will be laughing.

They will be sweating bullets.

The largest economy is that way because of the trade deals that have been negotiated in the past. Just for a "for instance", how many cell phones have you gone through in the last 20 years? For most, it's a new one every 2-3 years.

Americans replace their cell phones every 2 years, Finns – every six, a study claims

So those 10 phones you bought were likely progressively better with more gizmos and capabilities. Few downgrade on purpose. None of them were made in America. So, when Trump goes in and tries to bully the nations that have the factories that make the cell phones; 1 of 3 things will happen.

1. They will cave. Not at all likely. America is 300 million people and is way over saturated. There are millions of people in other nations who never had a cell phone and those markets will have to be exploited by someone. So when the contracts they have with Verizon or Sprint are done; that is that.

2. China walks away from the table (or Sinagpore, or Japan, or England) The factories in their nations that once made products for American businesses? They will simply start selling phones elsewhere. And, in cruel irony, companies like Verizon will be right there with them to exploit the new markets. They are making inroads to that already. Global Network Infrastructure | Verizon Enterprise Solutions What has stopped them in the past is that regulators want to keep their nation's carriers vital so they have run into roadblocks. Since Verizon is now having to sell crappy phones to access their network thanks to Mr. Trump, they can either "be a good American" and watch their customers drop off. Or they can move to Brazil and cash in on the markets not exploited yet.

3. The governmental bodies begin to realize that the US economy is going to really take a fall. The reason is because that once-every-two-year-cycle is now once every four years because the "new" phones are sub standard. And the price is outrageous. So places that sell phones are taking a hit; the kiosks in the mall that sell the "skins" for the phones are gone. So, the nations begin to cash in their debt instruments while they are most valuable. Thus causing interest rates to rise.

The example is just for cell phones but the same could be said for nearly every electronics device. The video games your kids play, the Keurig that makes your coffee, the ear buds in your ears....the computer you're using right now.

The reason we have a large economy is because we have more "deals" being made here than anywhere else--it is a consumer based operation. When you drive up the price to consumers; the economy slows down. Not rocket science.

It is precisely what Mr. Trump (Wages are too high) will bring us. They aren't playing around and frankly, the assessment that we somehow, have been, is ridiculous.

No one is going to be willing to walk away from the American market.

On one hand you state that Americans replace their cell phone every two years. On the other you claim it is over saturated.

They might not "cave".

But they will be giving some. probably a lot.

If Trump wins, the time of America being the world's bitch on trade will be coming to an end.

At least for a while.

He has plenty of experience negotiating. And if he is negotiating with the interests of Americans as his goal, then he is already far ahead of everyone else who has negotiated for US for a long time.

And no one he will be negotiating with will own our "livelihood". We own theirs.

We are the largest Economy and Market in the World. We have leverage like no one else.

You do know we have a national debt...right?
Pop quiz; who do you think owns the national debt?

A. Us
B. Martians
C. Our Trading Partners

Most of it is internally held, ie by US.

And holding debt is not nearly as much leverage as controlling access to the world's largest market.

Here is the actual debt ownership:

National-Debt-in-the-US1.jpg

As for the "world's largest market"....oh brother. India is a larger market than we are. Russia is a larger market...China is a larger market. To name a few.

I don't believe your graph is correct.

And the US is the world's largest market. Russia in number 10. India is number 9. China is a distant second, barely more than half.

List of countries by GDP (nominal) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States 17,348,075
23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China.svg.png
China 10,356,508
23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png
Japan 4,602,367
23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
Germany 3,874,437
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
United Kingdom 2,950,039
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
France 2,833,687
22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png
Brazil 2,346,583
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
Italy 2,147,744
23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png
India 2,051,228
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
Russia[n 2] 1,860,598
23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png
Canada 1,785,387
23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png
Australia 1,442,722
23px-Flag_of_South_Korea.svg.png
South Korea 1,410,383

Gross Domestic Product is not a measure of the size of markets but the size of the economy. Total amount of goods and services produced.

Good point. I was being sloppy.

The difference is even more extreme than I thought.

List of largest consumer markets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States 11,484,340 71% 26.69% 2013
23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China.svg.png
China 3,320,652 37% 7.72% 2013
23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png
Japan 2,999,598 58% 6.97% 2013
23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
Germany 2,086,559 59% 4.85% 2013
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
United Kingdom 1,736,557 65% 4.04% 2013
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
France 1,553,253 57% 3.61% 2013
22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png
Brazil 1,401,620 60% 3.26% 2013
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
Italy 1,300,337 58% 3.02% 2013

So, you can't support your claim at all.

Good. That's settled.

A President Trump, would for the first time in living memory negotiate from a position of strength and with the interests of the American Worker as his goal AND with world class skill.

:beer:

Bravado is not strength

Trump has bullied local politicians to get his real estate projects approved. Won't work with foreign nations. Trumps threats to carpet bomb or invade unless he gets his way will be laughed at

Trump will be the head of the world's largest economy and the world's largest market.

When he starts his negotiation with his normal Extreme Demand Opening Position, no one will be laughing.

If Trump were the negotiator he claims he is, he would be a lot richer.

In reality, he has blown more big deals than he has made. He is a minor player in NY real estate

By rejecting the blind ideology of Free Trade and negotiating with the interest of the American workers as his goal, AND with a willingness to use his tremendous leverage,

he is already the best negotiator that America has had in decades.

If the other heads of nations are so much more responsible and mature, then they will not be laughing, but focusing on handling the pissed off Americans, so the deal doesn't "blow up in their faces".

Works for me.

No

Trump has not negotiated with foreign nations. His tactics will be laughed at in the international community who is not enthralled with the Trump name

THe media hasn't been enthralled by the Trump name and he has been 5 steps ahead of them the whole time.

The only country that Trump could make a difference with is China, but here is the real problem with China. If we back China into a corner on trade, we might just help them speed up the process of becoming less dependent on exports. China's largest potential market by far is China itself. If China ever gets a good "Democrat" in office who understands that raising wages will grow their economy, China could really see their economy explode in a positive way. Whatever you may believe about our economy today, the fact is that liberal policies are what made our middle class. Unions and regulations that gave us the 40 hour work week along with safety standards for workers were all integral parts to giving the US the strongest middle class in the world. It was not conservative policies that created our great middle class.

China is NOT the only country Trump can make a difference on.

China is not going to become less dependent on exports unless they are forced to. They are not going to walk away from the wealth fountain that unfair trade has been for them.

The past policies you mention have nothing to do with the "liberals" of today.

As I said. Force China into a corner and they may well decide to become less dependent on exports. China is at the point that they really don't need the US market should they decide they want to grow their economy from within. It's just a matter of time until they figure this out anyway. I'm not sure I want "The Donald" helping them to speed up that process.

THey are not going to be able to be less dependent on exports. They need that constant inflow of wealth to maintain the level of growth they have become used to.

No

Not when he controls access to the world's largest market and is willing to use that power.

Tariffs are a double edged sword....can hurt us more than they help us

They seem to be a popular tool with those who believe the US can still be isolationist

Bravado is not strength

In reality, he has blown more big deals than he has made. He is a minor player in NY real estate

By rejecting the blind ideology of Free Trade and negotiating with the interest of the American workers as his goal, AND with a willingness to use his tremendous leverage,

If the other heads of nations are so much more responsible and mature, then they will not be laughing, but focusing on handling the pissed off Americans, so the deal doesn't "blow up in their faces".

Works for me.

When has Trump ever negotiated or cared about the interests of the American worker?

Trumps negotiating skills are legends in his own mind. He has not been successful on the big deals that would have made him additional billions

He has done a good job on the Apprentice. Maybe when this is all over he can get a gig on Dancing with the Stars

No

They seem to be a popular tool with those who believe the US can still be isolationist

You don't laugh at people swinging around a double edged sword.

No one will be laughing.

And the deals we cut will be more in our interests than what we have now.

A very low bar, I admit.

Bravado is not strength

The largest economy is that way because of the trade deals that have been negotiated in the past. Just for a "for instance", how many cell phones have you gone through in the last 20 years? For most, it's a new one every 2-3 years.

Americans replace their cell phones every 2 years, Finns – every six, a study claims

So those 10 phones you bought were likely progressively better with more gizmos and capabilities. Few downgrade on purpose. None of them were made in America. So, when Trump goes in and tries to bully the nations that have the factories that make the cell phones; 1 of 3 things will happen.

1. They will cave. Not at all likely. America is 300 million people and is way over saturated. There are millions of people in other nations who never had a cell phone and those markets will have to be exploited by someone. So when the contracts they have with Verizon or Sprint are done; that is that.

2. China walks away from the table (or Sinagpore, or Japan, or England) The factories in their nations that once made products for American businesses? They will simply start selling phones elsewhere. And, in cruel irony, companies like Verizon will be right there with them to exploit the new markets. They are making inroads to that already. Global Network Infrastructure | Verizon Enterprise Solutions What has stopped them in the past is that regulators want to keep their nation's carriers vital so they have run into roadblocks. Since Verizon is now having to sell crappy phones to access their network thanks to Mr. Trump, they can either "be a good American" and watch their customers drop off. Or they can move to Brazil and cash in on the markets not exploited yet.

3. The governmental bodies begin to realize that the US economy is going to really take a fall. The reason is because that once-every-two-year-cycle is now once every four years because the "new" phones are sub standard. And the price is outrageous. So places that sell phones are taking a hit; the kiosks in the mall that sell the "skins" for the phones are gone. So, the nations begin to cash in their debt instruments while they are most valuable. Thus causing interest rates to rise.

The example is just for cell phones but the same could be said for nearly every electronics device. The video games your kids play, the Keurig that makes your coffee, the ear buds in your ears....the computer you're using right now.

The reason we have a large economy is because we have more "deals" being made here than anywhere else--it is a consumer based operation. When you drive up the price to consumers; the economy slows down. Not rocket science.

It is precisely what Mr. Trump (Wages are too high) will bring us. They aren't playing around and frankly, the assessment that we somehow, have been, is ridiculous.

If you make it less profitable...just watch them.

On one hand you state that Americans replace their cell phone every two years. On the other you claim it is over saturated.
Yes, because the phones get more complex, better, and you have secondary markets making apps for the phones that are coming out now that you didn't have for phones that you purchased in 2014. Ever try to play Angry Birds on your Blackberry?
They might not "cave".
And why would they do this? So they can take less of a profit margin and bask in the honor of being bullied by Mr. Trump. What you'd likely see is that they would open store fronts online and sell direct to the public outside of the phone companies and let you make your own deal with Sprint or Verizon. Or sell to a partner in Canada or Mexico and let them peddle it to Americans scoring cheap tequila and cell phones from across the border. Markets are where ever there is a buyer and a seller, after all.

If Trump wins, the time of America being the world's bitch on trade will be coming to an end.
At least for a while.

And the ignorance has come full circle.

The reason we're the largest economy in the world is because of the trade deals we have now.

Works for me.

When has Trump ever negotiated or cared about the interests of the American worker?

When has it been his job to do so, before now?

Works for me.

Yes, because the phones get more complex, better, and you have secondary markets making apps for the phones that are coming out now that you didn't have for phones that you purchased in 2014. Ever try to play Angry Birds on your Blackberry?
They might not "cave".
And why would they do this? So they can take less of a profit margin and bask in the honor of being bullied by Mr. Trump. What you'd likely see is that they would open store fronts online and sell direct to the public outside of the phone companies and let you make your own deal with Sprint or Verizon. Or sell to a partner in Canada or Mexico and let them peddle it to Americans scoring cheap tequila and cell phones from across the border. Markets are where ever there is a buyer and a seller, after all.

At least for a while.

The reason we're the largest economy in the world is because of the trade deals we have now.

Our nation became the largest economy before 1900. It had nothing to do with our current trades deals which have not be to our advantage.

No one will be laughing.

A very low bar, I admit.

I know you despise the current administration so I will ask you this: why do you think GWB or GHWB or RR didn't swing the "double edged sword"? I mean, it wasn't political...the Chinese or Japanese do not vote.

I would like to hear your reasoning for why you think previous Republican administrations were "pussies"

No one will be laughing.

A very low bar, I admit.

I know you despise the current administration so I will ask you this: why do you think GWB or GHWB or RR didn't swing the "double edged sword"? I mean, it wasn't political...the Chinese or Japanese do not vote.

I would like to hear your reasoning for why you think previous Republican administrations were "pussies"

Ideology.

Blind Faith in the Ideological concept of Free Trade.

Under RR it seemed to be working pretty good. Macro numbers were good.

The more "nuanced" effect on the Middle Class was less obvious for a while.

When Ideology and REality conflict REality must Trump Ideology.

<see what I did there?>:rock:

They might not "cave".

At least for a while.

Our nation became the largest economy before 1900. It had nothing to do with our current trades deals which have not be to our advantage.

Perhaps a little thing called the "Industrial Revolution" helped...ya think. All we need is another one of those.

No one will be laughing.

A very low bar, I admit.

Ideology.

GWB had "blind faith" in free trade? :uhoh3:

Okay....

No one will be laughing.

A very low bar, I admit.

Trump will not be able to make deals

1. He has no clue on how to negotiate with foreign nations or Congress
2. He will not have the support of Congress

They might not "cave".

At least for a while.

Perhaps a little thing called the "Industrial Revolution" helped...ya think. All we need is another one of those.

You claimed it had to do with our current trade deals.

You giving up on that one?

No one will be laughing.

A very low bar, I admit.

Ideology.

GWB had "blind faith" in free trade? :uhoh3:

Okay....[/QUOTE]

Yes. Blind Faith in Free Trade is the Conventional Wisdom currently.

And Free Trade has long been part of the Conservative Ideology.

No one will be laughing.

A very low bar, I admit.

Trump will not be able to make deals

1. He has no clue on how to negotiate with foreign nations or Congress
2. He will not have the support of Congress

Other nations will have no choice but to negotiate with Trump.

They cannot walk away from trade with the largest market in the world.

Congress? Are you suggesting that dems will not work with the President?

They might not "cave".

At least for a while.

No. Just pointing out that our trade deals have resulted in the world's largest economy and you don't seem to think they are good. PS: They were not negotiated in 1900.

I'm giving up on trying to convince you. I would ask you how you think we got to be the world's biggest economy but I'm sure the answer would be something along the lines of your "blind faith" answer which is both hilarious and wrong.

They might not "cave".

At least for a while.

No. Just pointing out that our trade deals have resulted in the world's largest economy and you don't seem to think they are good. PS: They were not negotiated in 1900.

I'm giving up on trying to convince you. I would ask you how you think we got to be the world's biggest economy but I'm sure the answer would be something along the lines of your "blind faith" answer which is both hilarious and wrong.

If our current trade deals were not negotiated in 1900, how did they result in our economy becoming the world's largest?

Forum List

Back