Can Trump Be Trusted With Social Security?

WASHINGTON ― Former president Donald Trump seemed to suggest he favored cutting retirement programs such as Social Security and Medicare in a rambling answer he gave during a TV interview on Monday.

CNBC’s Joe Kernan asked Trump, who has previously said he opposes cutting so-called entitlement spending, if he had changed his outlook given the ballooning national debt.

“So first of all, there is a lot you can do in terms of entitlements, in terms of cutting, and in terms of also the theft and the bad management of entitlements, tremendous bad management of entitlements,” Trump said. “There’s tremendous amounts of things and numbers of things you can do.”

It’s not clear what Trump meant by “cutting” or by “theft” or by “bad management of entitlements.” His answer continued for several more minutes and ranged across several other topics, including COVID and ISIS. Kernan’s next questions were about Bitcoin.
White House spokesman Andrew Bates seized on Trump’s remarks.

“As the President just warned in his State of the Union address, Republican officials plan to cut Medicare and Social Security,” Bates said in a statement blasted out to reporters. “Cutting the Medicare and Social Security benefits that Americans have paid to earn their whole lives ― only to make room for yet more unaffordable, trickle down tax giveaways to the super wealthy ― is exactly backwards.”

Social Security and Medicare are both solvent through the early 2030s, according to the Social Security Administration. In 2033, reserves will deplete and incoming tax revenue will cover only 77% of Social Security benefits.

More at the link below...

This should scare everyone on Social Security and Medicare! We have heard many warnings from Republicans in Congress that they favor cutting Social Security and Medicare! We've been sufficiently warned. These are programs that workers have paid into their entire working lives. What do you think?
Cutting Medicare and social security really bad idea. I know so many seniors who struggle on the social security and Medicare they have now and they want to cut that are they nuts?

We need to expand social security and Medicare, not cut it. Nope, bad idea. I am voting Democrat in November.

Despite what the MAGA nuts say, the OP is absolutely correct. He is right that Trump suggested cutting entitlements and is correct as to Trump's incoherence.

Trump does not give a damn for the middle class
"such as Social Security and Medicare"

I can't find any direct quote of Trump saying that, can you provide a link?

Last edited:
There’s no waste in social security. It’s dirt cheap to administer.
Bullshit plus we are talking all entitlements not just SSI... why do you have to make shit up?... could it be you know Biden is losing?...

“As the President just warned in his State of the Union address, Republican officials plan to cut Medicare and Social Security,” Bates said in a statement blasted out to reporters. “Cutting the Medicare and Social Security benefits that Americans have paid to earn their whole lives ― only to make room for yet more unaffordable, trickle down tax giveaways to the super wealthy ― is exactly backwards.”
Correct.

Trump is incoherent and demented, and Republicans are incapable of sound, responsible governance.

And the right’s war on working Americans continues.

Bullshit plus we are talking all entitlements not just SSI... why do you have to make shit up?... could it be you know Biden is losing?...
SS is an entitlement and Trump was talking about entitlement.

It’s not my fault that Trump is barely coherent and can’t speak with any clarity. He’s always been this way.

It’s not my fault that Trump is barely coherent and can’t speak with any clarity. He’s always been this way.
More irony. I get a headache trying to decipher Biden’s speech. Much of it is gobbleygook from a damaged brain.

Millions of old Americans get well below the poverty level from SSI. I have never read nor heard any Democrats seeking we get higher amounts. They are pleased millions of Americans can't afford a good life under SS and must have savings to make it.
What a piece of shit you are.

Dems are always bumping COLA when appropriate.

How you gonna feel when Trump cuts your Social Security and Medicare you old fart?

And we've been hearing democrats tell us for decades that Republicans are going to cut social security and Medicare. Liars.
We’ll we heard Dems say for decades that Republicans would do away with Roe

And they DID

I never credited Trump with more than he actually did. For example we have a Keystone pipeline from Canada thanks to Trump. But Trump did not create oil. I wish the media of America was more honest. But they love Democrats.

Even the Keystone delivered Canada oil and not domestic oil. We would have another but Biden stopped it. So he hurt Canada and the USA.
You’re referring to Keystone XL.

Trump authorized it in 2017 and it was held up in various courts including the Supreme Court for 4 years.

It was eventually abandoned after only 8%was built

It was a pass through. Taking Canadian oil to Gulf Port terminals and exporting from there

They were speaking of SSI and Medicare... and have you listened to the recording?... it was chopped off at the end preventing people from listening to his full comment on the issue....

Forum List

Back