Can We Please Get Rid of the Pledge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll stand with my hand over my heart, out of respect for those that take it seriously, but I don't utter a word. It is a crock. I do not owe allegiance to a flag. I owe allegiance to the Constitution. The National Anthem is even worse. it is almost impossible to sing, and frankly, is a lousy song, anyway. I wish to hell that they would change it to "America the Beautiful".

I have to agree. Our anthem is sucky. So many better songs...I'd nominate This Land is Your Land...

I mean look at the French Anthem - it's stirring!

I don't know, Coyote...it's not the song itself...it's what it stands for! The first time I played hockey in Canada as part of a US travel squad and they lined you up on the blue lines and played the national anthems of both the US and Canada was one of the most exciting moments of my young life. Literally sent chills up and down my spine.

I see what you mean...but I do wish we had chosen a different song...music is inspirational and spiratual...I listen to the old Civil War song "Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory" and I feel it, our anthem - though I'll always stand, does not give me the same chill :)

I remember the immediate aftermath of 9/11 . The Bush Administration and their conservatives followers conducted witch hunts against those who didn't wear flag pins or display the appropriate symbols of collective grieving.

I don't understand why conservatives think that government should dictate the way people experience, remember and honor important national events.

I may love the USA for the New Deal & Civil Rights Act. You might love it for the Iraq War and Donald Trump. It's called freedom. If you tell someone else why and how to love their nation, you are a fascist.

What are you even talking about? What witch hunts ever took place because of that? You people on the left push some of the stupidest narratives I've ever heard on this board! The period following 9/11 was refreshing because of the LACK of partisanship! We actually worked together for the common good for a few short months.

Why do conservatives say the pledge?

The pledge says the flag stands for one nation, indivisible.

Conservatives almost to a person believe that the nation IS divisible, constitutionally, via secession of any state or states.

It is indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. Without liberty and justice, it is divisible. The OP seeks to take away liberty,

That's bullshit.
Look... whom the rats brought in from the sewer.... 'glad you joined us, we were almost short of idiots....

I will pledge my allegiance to my country and my cause.

Anyone who swears their loyalty to the United States is a fool.

I find it funny how some who applaud the pledge of allegiance will turn around and threaten militancy against the ruling government.

"Back then we had dictators, kings and queens."

Back then it was better, Democracy is a failed concept and Democracy allows even the stupidest people to vote, a Dictatorship in tandem with a Monarchy is the best system for a nation.

Wow. Just...wow. Your posts in this thread have been absolutely astonishing. You are the most right wing person I've ever run into on the net. It's crazy! Thank God you are not American!

"Wow. Just...wow. Your posts in this thread have been absolutely astonishing. You are the most right wing person I've ever run into on the net. It's crazy! Thank God you are not American!"

Thank you darling for paying me this wonderful compliment :smile: You better stop flirting with me like this, you don't want to get high blood pressure.

I can tell you I look great in black, we Right-Wing Totalitarians have always had the most elegant of sartorial tastes, if you're lucky one of these days I might let you polish my boots and touch my Moroccan leather whip :thup:

I'll stand with my hand over my heart, out of respect for those that take it seriously, but I don't utter a word. It is a crock. I do not owe allegiance to a flag. I owe allegiance to the Constitution. The National Anthem is even worse. it is almost impossible to sing, and frankly, is a lousy song, anyway. I wish to hell that they would change it to "America the Beautiful".

I have to agree. Our anthem is sucky. So many better songs...I'd nominate This Land is Your Land...

I mean look at the French Anthem - it's stirring!

I don't know, Coyote...it's not the song itself...it's what it stands for! The first time I played hockey in Canada as part of a US travel squad and they lined you up on the blue lines and played the national anthems of both the US and Canada was one of the most exciting moments of my young life. Literally sent chills up and down my spine.

I see what you mean...but I do wish we had chosen a different song...music is inspirational and spiratual...I listen to the old Civil War song "Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory" and I feel it, our anthem - though I'll always stand, does not give me the same chill :)

I wish we had an easier anthem to sing! A lifetime of listening to people butcher our national anthem tends to put you off it but like I said...when you're representing your country...especially abroad and they play that song it makes you want to do something special. At least for me...

Conservatives almost to a person believe that the nation IS divisible, constitutionally, via secession of any state or states.

It is indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. Without liberty and justice, it is divisible. The OP seeks to take away liberty,

That's bullshit.

Pull your hoof out, you'll live.

The nation is either divisible or indivisible. If you believe in the right of states to secede, you believe the nation is divisible.

Therefore you are lying when you pledge allegiance to indivisibility.

I will pledge my allegiance to my country and my cause.

Anyone who swears their loyalty to the United States is a fool.

I find it funny how some who applaud the pledge of allegiance will turn around and threaten militancy against the ruling government.

You recognize the government can be corrupt, while the nation can be true at the same time? We are asked to stamp out tyranny to preserve liberty.

That's bullshit.

The nation is either divisible or indivisible. If you believe in the right of states to secede, you believe the nation is divisible.

Since it is a union of states it is every states right to secede when the union is violating its rights according to the Constitution.

That's bullshit.

Since it is a union of states it is every states right to secede when the union is violating its rights according to the Constitution.
It would be better for all sides if this country would just break apart…

You recognize the government can be corrupt, while the nation can be true at the same time? We are asked to stamp out tyranny to preserve liberty.

You do realize the American nation is not the United States?

The United States is an entity founded by the constitution. This government is the byproduct of the constitution, either because the constitution mandated it or failed to protect against it.

Definition: a large aggregate of people united by common descent, history, culture, or language, inhabiting a particular country or territory.

To the human mind, ritual and symbolism are cultural representations of reality. Always have been, always will be. It was true 50,000 years ago and it will be true 50,000 years from now. Without a sense of patriotism (however expressed), a nation will not maintain an identity (however protean), defend itself in times of crisis, or strive for improvement and prosperity. Since the maintenance, defense, improvement, or prosperity of any society other than an impossible Marxist dystopia is anathema to leftist dimwits who have been programmed to feel superior based on nothing other than the assurances of self-important professors suffering from the lingering effects of hard-core drug experimentation 40 years ago (and their clones who are so weak-minded that they no longer need the acid), Modern-day, nihilistic nitwits prance about hating the nation that grants them the freedom and security to live their little clown act. They resent the flag, the pledge, the national anthem or anything else that punctures their illusions and reminds them of truths they have to ignore lest their fabricated arrogance dissolve on the wind.

I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

You're pledging allegiance to the flag and Republic, not indivisibility.

The rest of your dribble is simply a logical fallacy.

In its present form? You are another idiot then....

Old Glory changed as the number of American states did.

It would of done so had the articles of confederation still been in place.

If you feel that the state legitimizes the flag, then that is the foolish assumption.

You do realize the American nation is not the United States?

The United States is an entity founded by the constitution. This government is the byproduct of the constitution, either because the constitution mandated it or failed to protect against it.

Definition: a large aggregate of people united by common descent, history, culture, or language, inhabiting a particular country or territory.
Moron... see my post about the Pledge.. then come back and we can talk if you wish...

Conservatives have a strange love affair with authoritarianism.
They are fear-based. Having a Big Daddy, on the ground and in the sky, makes them feel safer. That and their .38 teddy bear small penis enhancements.

Gee, Betty...I'm a conservative...I'm also an agnostic. I have no clue what you're even talking about with your .38 teddy bear small penis enhancement nonsense! You think because someone chooses to own a gun to protect their loved ones from the animals that increasingly inhabit our country...it means they are less "manly"? Here's a clue...in many places in this country...NOT being able to protect yourself and your loved ones means you're less of a man!
If you "need" a gun for protection, you are not a man.

Moron... see my post about the Pledge.. then come back and we can talk if you wish...

Deflection.

Good talking to you.
Deflection of what? Don't be an idiot. Lazy fuck, go back a few posts and see. You are charging in and start acting like a superior authority when you didn't see preliminaries... I acknowledge that you are not slum bum. You are eloquent and shit. Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back