🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Zone1 Can We Truly Love Each Other As Much As Jesus Loves Us?

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
Asking because I saw a Gif that specifically said that "I love you like Jesus does" or as much as Jesus does and that's when I started thinking how that was possible. I flat out told my fiancee as much as I love you I'm not sure if I would die on a cross for you. Of course if it was me instead of him I probably would but still, I definitely wouldn't want to.

It's impossoble to know. After so long does Jesuses opinion change? Does God doubt his own creation? So many questions. Life is too complex the universe too vast, the arguments so numerous.

Last edited:
shockedcanadian I don't think so to either but maybe it wasn't meant to be taken literally and it's more just of a Jesus loves you and so do I kind of thing.

It has been said that Jesus is the epitome of unconditional love but he'll burn you in Hell for eternity for various minor sins and transgressions. Doesn't really make sense. If you want to be loved like that then get a dog.

It has been said that Jesus is the epitome of unconditional love but he'll burn you in Hell for eternity for various minor sins and transgressions.

Not if you're saved.

Not if you're saved.
"Saved" means you have to daily beg for forgiveness and hope it's enough. That's not love, it's spiritual extortion. I have enormous respect for Jesus the man but Jesus the God is kind of a jerk.

So in other words God is a meanie for dishing out discipline?
I do not claim to know the mind of God. Humans came up with the ridiculous notion that God is somehow all loving and brutally strict at the same time.

It has been said that Jesus is the epitome of unconditional love but he'll burn you in Hell for eternity for various minor sins and transgressions. Doesn't really make sense. If you want to be loved like that then get a dog.
Only if you want to burn in hell. Jesus' message is redemption. The rift of disobedience between God and mankind has been bridged. Obedience to God results in forgiveness of sins. We are no longer at odds with our Creator. Or, if we are, it is our choice, not God's choice.

"Saved" means you have to daily beg for forgiveness and hope it's enough.
Forget about being "saved." Redemption starts us on the journey of salvation, and God's gift of grace is with us daily. No begging, simply receiving a gift and putting it to the good use of all.

I do not claim to know the mind of God. Humans came up with the ridiculous notion that God is somehow all loving and brutally strict at the same time.
Would someone who loves you be fine with watching you do wrong, hurt others He also loves, and allow you to make an idiot of yourself when you are meant to be and to accomplish so much more?

When it came down to suffering for all the sins of the world Jesus had thoughts of not wanting to do it but he humbled himself and submitted to the will of the Father.

Luke 22:42
42 Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.

Matthew 26:39
39 And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

Mark 14:36
36 And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.

The degree of suffering that Jesus was to go through was unfathomable to us. No other man on earth could ever have suffered as much as Jesus suffered and lived through it. Truly it was Jesus' love for us that gave him strength to humble himself and go through that awful pain. A latter-day verse tells us a bit more about what the pain was like for a God to suffer:

Doctrine and Covenants 19:16-19
16 For behold, I, God, have suffered these things for all, that they might not suffer if they would repent;
17 But if they would not repent they must suffer even as I;
18 Which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit—and would that I might not drink the bitter cup, and shrink—
19 Nevertheless, glory be to the Father, and I partook and finished my preparations unto the children of men.

Can we ever suffer for the sins of all the children of God? Of course not. However, Jesus did tell us this:

John 15:12-14
12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

Is Jesus our friend? Are we willing to lay down our lives for him? Are we willing to at lease keep his commandments and to love one another?

"Saved" means you have to daily beg for forgiveness and hope it's enough. That's not love, it's spiritual extortion. I have enormous respect for Jesus the man but Jesus the God is kind of a jerk.

no thats catholics not true believers.

When it came down to suffering for all the sins of the world Jesus had thoughts of not wanting to do it but he humbled himself and submitted to the will of the Father.

Luke 22:42
42 Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.

Matthew 26:39
39 And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

Mark 14:36
36 And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.

The degree of suffering that Jesus was to go through was unfathomable to us. No other man on earth could ever have suffered as much as Jesus suffered and lived through it. Truly it was Jesus' love for us that gave him strength to humble himself and go through that awful pain. A latter-day verse tells us a bit more about what the pain was like for a God to suffer:

Doctrine and Covenants 19:16-19
16 For behold, I, God, have suffered these things for all, that they might not suffer if they would repent;
17 But if they would not repent they must suffer even as I;
18 Which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit—and would that I might not drink the bitter cup, and shrink—
19 Nevertheless, glory be to the Father, and I partook and finished my preparations unto the children of men.

Can we ever suffer for the sins of all the children of God? Of course not. However, Jesus did tell us this:

John 15:12-14
12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

Is Jesus our friend? Are we willing to lay down our lives for him? Are we willing to at lease keep his commandments and to love one another?
d and c isnt the bible- the bible is the only and final authority on Gods word.

Asking because I saw a Gif that specifically said that "I love you like Jesus does" or as much as Jesus does and that's when I started thinking how that was possible. I flat out told my fiancee as much as I love you I'm not sure if I would die on a cross for you. Of course if it was me instead of him I probably would but still, I definitely wouldn't want to.

"I love you like Jesus does" says nothing about the quantity of love - it says something about the quality of love. Love is love - 100% pure love. But we are still not able to be 100% - but also our 1/100% love is 100% pure love. In his love we are able to be together with god.

By the way - a statement which I also love very much is: "Make it like god - become human." (Because indeed real humanity is god given.)

Not if you're saved.

No one is save to be saved. And everyone always - and perhaps even longer - has all chances to be saved. The important thing is to be on the way direction East(er) = "to be oriented" when the new day, the new life, will come.

Last edited:
no thats catholics not true believers.
Not Catholics who pay little attention to the much later concept of "saved". We are redeemed, and through grace are on the Way of Salvation. Catholics are not a "once and done" type of community.

Which Jesus?

I think the violent Jesus of Revelation resonates with people more than the innocent Lamb of the Gospels.

So I think it really comes down to a choice. And the frightening thing is, I think increasingly in Christianity, especially in American Christianity, people are really more entranced with the violent, vengeful, wrathful Jesus of Revelation, even if they don't read it. That's the side they take, rather than the loving, caring, merciful Jesus of the Gospels.

GROSS: How are you seeing that expressed?

EHRMAN: Well, there's a lot of violence being sponsored by conservative Christians who are in support of, well, taking over the government, for example, who are in support of all sorts of opposition to social policies that might help people - so opposition to immigration, wanting to cut the budgets so that we don't help out the poor. We cut down on helping those who are desperately in need. But let's build up the defense budget, and let's invade some more.

Forum List

Back