Canada demands U.S. end ‘right to work’ laws as part of NAFTA talks

Back to the OP.

As the WSJ Editorial Board noted this morning, Canada is just applying the same concepts to the United States that the United States is applying to Mexico.

Throughout his presidential campaign, Donald Trump liked to bang on about how Mexicans are stealing American jobs, and he called the North American Free Trade Agreement “maybe the worst trade deal ever signed anywhere but certainly ever signed in this country.” Now someone on the other side of the U.S. border is finally agreeing with him.

But it isn’t Mexico. It’s Canada. And this is probably not what Mr. Trump expected when he forced Nafta’s trading partners back to the negotiating table. As part of this renegotiation, the Canadians are now complaining that U.S. labor laws are unfair to Canada. Specifically, the Globe and Mail reports that Canadian negotiators spent Sunday’s talks in Mexico City trying to persuade their U.S. counterparts to pass a federal law negating the right-to-work laws that now prevail in 28 U.S. states.

The Canadians argue that these laws, by reducing the power of unions to compel dues from workers, mean weaker unions, lower labor standards and reduced wages. This in turn means that when it comes to attracting business, these U.S. states enjoy an unfair advantage over the higher-cost Canadians. The Canadians say they only want to level the playing field.

In other words, the Canadians are arguing that the U.S. is doing to its markets what Mr. Trump accuses Mexico of doing to ours: stealing jobs through lower-cost labor. The leader of Canada’s largest trade union, Jerry Dias, out-Trumped Mr. Trump in his bluntness: “Canada’s got two problems,” he says. “The low-wage rates in Mexico and the right-to-work states in the United States.”

It’s easy to laugh over someone turning Mr. Trump’s trade argument against him, especially when there’s zero chance of doing away with U.S. right-to-work protection. But there’s a serious point amid the absurdity: A reminder that sometimes when people complain about unfair trading practices, what they’re really objecting to is old-fashioned competition.

Making Canada Great Again

Back to the OP.

As the WSJ Editorial Board noted this morning, Canada is just applying the same concepts to the United States that the United States is applying to Mexico.

Throughout his presidential campaign, Donald Trump liked to bang on about how Mexicans are stealing American jobs, and he called the North American Free Trade Agreement “maybe the worst trade deal ever signed anywhere but certainly ever signed in this country.” Now someone on the other side of the U.S. border is finally agreeing with him.

But it isn’t Mexico. It’s Canada. And this is probably not what Mr. Trump expected when he forced Nafta’s trading partners back to the negotiating table. As part of this renegotiation, the Canadians are now complaining that U.S. labor laws are unfair to Canada. Specifically, the Globe and Mail reports that Canadian negotiators spent Sunday’s talks in Mexico City trying to persuade their U.S. counterparts to pass a federal law negating the right-to-work laws that now prevail in 28 U.S. states.

The Canadians argue that these laws, by reducing the power of unions to compel dues from workers, mean weaker unions, lower labor standards and reduced wages. This in turn means that when it comes to attracting business, these U.S. states enjoy an unfair advantage over the higher-cost Canadians. The Canadians say they only want to level the playing field.

In other words, the Canadians are arguing that the U.S. is doing to its markets what Mr. Trump accuses Mexico of doing to ours: stealing jobs through lower-cost labor. The leader of Canada’s largest trade union, Jerry Dias, out-Trumped Mr. Trump in his bluntness: “Canada’s got two problems,” he says. “The low-wage rates in Mexico and the right-to-work states in the United States.”

It’s easy to laugh over someone turning Mr. Trump’s trade argument against him, especially when there’s zero chance of doing away with U.S. right-to-work protection. But there’s a serious point amid the absurdity: A reminder that sometimes when people complain about unfair trading practices, what they’re really objecting to is old-fashioned competition.

Jerry Dias is extremely close to these negotiations, why is this? Are these state to state negotiations or Canadian auto unions (which have stolen thousands of American jobs) and America negotiations?

This tactic is to try and convince the American auto workers that somehow Canada and America are in the same fight, it's not accurate. Canada has been exploiting the American worker for decades and been active in American corporations, with no advantage in wage saves for American auto companies (particularly GM), or significant efficiency output, so why the desire to move jobs North of the border? CSIS the RCMP and their provincial surrogates doing as they please within these companies. Canadian politicians using our tax dollars to give grants to CEO's to move here. Is this about "specialization" or something else?

If I am an American politician, I ask Jerry Dias if he is doing the bidding on behalf of the Canadian government or not. Full disclosure and transparency. This is about U.S jobs and fair trade not Canadian manipulation.

The latter of which I know quite a great deal about.

Last edited:
Back to the OP.

Jerry Dias is extremely close to these negotiations, why is this? Are these state to state negotiations or Canadian auto unions (which have stolen thousands of American jobs) and America negotiations?

This tactic is to try and convince the American auto workers that somehow Canada and America are in the same fight, it's not accurate. Canada has been exploiting the American worker for decades and been active in American corporations, with no advantage in wage saves for American auto companies (particularly GM), or significant efficiency output, so why the desire to move jobs North of the border? CSIS the RCMP and their provincial surrogates doing as they please within these companies. Canadian politicians using our tax dollars to give grants to CEO's to move here. Is this about "specialization" or something else?

If I am an American politician, I ask Jerry Dias if he is doing the bidding on behalf of the Canadian government or not. Full disclosure and transparency. This is about U.S jobs and fair trade not Canadian manipulation.

Why haven't you taken this to the media?

Back to the OP.

Why haven't you taken this to the media?

Only the U.S media would present this, Canadian media and citizens are patsies to the apparatus.

As an example, when I was clearly managed out of my job at the bank, by individuals I knew worked for the RCMP, I met a lawyer. He heard my case in an initial consultation and was eager to help me, telling me I had a strong case. I was to meet him again in a couple of weeks, and when I called about the date and time I was told that it had to change as he had "gone on a vacation for that week". Odd, no? when he returned his interest in my case wasn't the same, he basically wasn't interested in my case anymore.

A news reporter I contacted out of B.C followed a similar trend. What is clear is that the security apparatus in Canada are desperate to silence me, which is why they know that my efforts to contact those outside of Communist Canada has been far more damaging. They simply can't control the dialogue, outside of contacting say the FBI or CIA to assist them. The amount of information and specifics I have is great, the tactics that Canada engage in indefensible both domestically and Internationally.

Transparency is not a Canadian forte, it's why the RCMP; according to a book written about them by a former insider in the 1970's, openly admired the Stasi of East Germany and worked to replicate their tactics. That runs counter to democracy and Western values.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back