Canning

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2010
I put this in Bones thread on canning and it doesnt show up soooo....

Just ordered a 21.5 quart All American pressure canner.
Man are those things pricey and hard to find. Went to their sight after deciding on All American and everything is out of stock.
Found one on Amazon finally but it wont be here till the 26th.
I cringed when I heard it was going to go for around $300 bucks,I cringed even harder when I found the going price is now $420 bucks.
It'll do 7 quarts or 19 pint jars.
One thing I found weird that maybe someone can answer.
The 25 quart has the same jar capacity as the 21.5 quart. Why would you buy the larger one when the capacity is the same?

1662161249104.png

I'm guessing the larger capacity would allow more distance between the jars. If the jars are too close together, or touching, they might not heat consistently. A little extra room can't hurt.

Maybe the 21.5 quart model is newer and just saves a little bit of space?

I'm guessing the larger capacity would allow more distance between the jars. If the jars are too close together, or touching, they might not heat consistently. A little extra room can't hurt.

The I.D. is the same on both units.
The Wife did a bit of searching and She said it sounds like you cant water bath can which makes no sense to me.

Maybe the 21.5 quart model is newer and just saves a little bit of space?

It doesnt look that way judging by the All American sight.
I just cant see the advantage of getting the larger unit.
If what the Wife found is true and we cant water bath can with it thats not a big deal since we have plenty of large pots we could use.
But I dont see any reason why you coudnt water bath can with it considering the quart jars obviously fit in the damn thing.
Watched a YouTube video where a chick just got one and she said the same thing I did,whats the point of the larger canner when the capacity is the same?
I mean if I can do 7 quarts or 19 pints I think it'll be fine.
They list the 21.5 as a large family canner and since there's just the two of us.....
They say the 21.5 is there most popular model and since it was the only one I could get my hands on I guess I'll live with it.

The I.D. is the same on both units.
The Wife did a bit of searching and She said it sounds like you cant water bath can which makes no sense to me.
Don't know much about canning, but from a mechanical point of view, the only advantage I see for the bigger canner is extra space between jars.

Don't know much about canning, but from a mechanical point of view, the only advantage I see for the bigger canner is extra space between jars.

Thats just it...
The I.D. is the same on both units so you dont gain any room. And if you stack jars that stays the same as well.

Found this and it really doesnt clear things up any.

Dont know what the deal is with One moment please but it does take you to the proper page.

It mentions water capacity but I dont see where that would be an advantage since you only use 2 or 3 inches of water no matter which unit you use.

It mentions water capacity but I dont see where that would be an advantage since you only use 2 or 3 inches of water no matter which unit you use.

Did a little checking and found this.......

One moment, please...

The pressure canners have different dimensions due to different size. The All American 921 measures at 16x15x17 inches (LWH) while the 925 measures about 16x15x19 inches (LWH). The 925 is just 2 inch taller in the size which is pretty negligible.

I am guessing your 21.5qt can't do water bath for quarts, but maybe you can with the 25qt? Since waterbath canning has to have enough water to cover the jars by atleast 2 inches for processing, plus more space above that so the lid isn't sitting on water. So the 925 (25qt) is 2 inches taller giving you more room for the high water level. As I said, that's just my guess.

Do you have a glass top stove? If so, the weight of the canner and the high water level for water bathing could be the issue. As you've already said any large pot that allows enough water to cover the jars 2 to 3 inches will work. If you don't have a rack to hold the jars, you can use a towel in the bottom to keep the jars off the bottom and from touching.

Did you know they also make (or used too) a 41qt (941) that you could stack quart jars? It's a beast from what I hear. Ka-ka-ka-ching if you can find one though. One good thing about an AA is no need for gaskets.

Congrats on your new AA, it will do whatever you need it to and be more than plenty for the 2 of you

ps..........wth is up with the 'One Moment Please'

Did a little checking and found this.......

One moment, please...

The pressure canners have different dimensions due to different size. The All American 921 measures at 16x15x17 inches (LWH) while the 925 measures about 16x15x19 inches (LWH). The 925 is just 2 inch taller in the size which is pretty negligible.

I am guessing your 21.5qt can't do water bath for quarts, but maybe you can with the 25qt? Since waterbath canning has to have enough water to cover the jars by atleast 2 inches for processing, plus more space above that so the lid isn't sitting on water. So the 925 (25qt) is 2 inches taller giving you more room for the high water level. As I said, that's just my guess.

Do you have a glass top stove? If so, the weight of the canner and the high water level for water bathing could be the issue. As you've already said any large pot that allows enough water to cover the jars 2 to 3 inches will work. If you don't have a rack to hold the jars, you can use a towel in the bottom to keep the jars off the bottom and from touching.

Did you know they also make (or used too) a 41qt (941) that you could stack quart jars? It's a beast from what I hear. Ka-ka-ka-ching if you can find one though. One good thing about an AA is no need for gaskets.

Congrats on your new AA, it will do whatever you need it to and be more than plenty for the 2 of you

ps..........wth is up with the 'One Moment Please'

You can easily fit 7 quart jars with plenty of room left over.
Thats what I dont get. If that turns out to be the case I'm not going to worry about since I have 4 crawfish pots from one large enough for me to sit in on down to one that'll boil a 35 lb bag of crawfish.

There is at least 4 inches of room left with 7 quart jars in it.
If you go to 14.29 in the video it shows how much room you actually have.
It certainly looks like enough room to water bath can.
Dont have a glass top stove,I hate those things,we'll be using a gas stove or weather permitting I can use the burner in the outdoor kitchen or one of my portable crawfish cookers.
The unit comes with two racks,one for the bottom and another if you want to stack pint jars.
I dont know what the deal is with the one moment please link.

Last edited:
You can easily fit 7 quart jars with plenty of room left over.
Thats what I dont get. If that turns out to be the case I'm not going to worry about since I have 4 crawfish pots from one large enough for me to sit in on down to one that'll boil a 35 lb bag of crawfish.

There is at least 4 inches of room left with 7 quart jars in it.
If you go to 14.29 in the video it shows how much room you actually have.
It certainly looks like enough room to water bath can.
Dont have a glass top stove,I hate those things,we'll be using a gas stove or weather permitting I can use the burner in the outdoor kitchen or one of my portable crawfish cookers.
The unit comes with two racks,one for the bottom and another if you want to stack pint jars.
I dont know what the deal is with the one moment please link.

Then I don't see a problem with using it for a water bath, just set the lid on & don't screw it down.......and yes any old pot will work.

I have a 21qt Presto that I have used for water bath. To me, it's just easier to have & use one pot for both processes. Also, the Presto is taller than the water bath canners I have that when canning quarts there isn't really enough room for enough water to keep the water from boiling away. I had to replace my coil top stove about a month ago and ended up with a glass top. Not exactly what I would have chosen, but the price was right. (homemade cookies, pie & loaf of bread). Looking up the owners manual and it does say it's ok to can on it. I wanted to find a single burner hot plate to use for canning, but I don't know if any of them get & stay hot enough to process 90+ minutes.

And yes, any type of heat source will work as long as the temps are high enough to keep steady pressure with no ups & downs during processing.

Then I don't see a problem with using it for a water bath, just set the lid on & don't screw it down.......and yes any old pot will work.

I have a 21qt Presto that I have used for water bath. To me, it's just easier to have & use one pot for both processes. Also, the Presto is taller than the water bath canners I have that when canning quarts there isn't really enough room for enough water to keep the water from boiling away. I had to replace my coil top stove about a month ago and ended up with a glass top. Not exactly what I would have chosen, but the price was right. (homemade cookies, pie & loaf of bread). Looking up the owners manual and it does say it's ok to can on it. I wanted to find a single burner hot plate to use for canning, but I don't know if any of them get & stay hot enough to process 90+ minutes.

And yes, any type of heat source will work as long as the temps are high enough to keep steady pressure with no ups & downs during processing.

We have an induction hot plate that we picked up to use for delicate recipes that require exact temps.
Unfortunately I read somewhere that you cant use aluminium pots on it which seems a bit weird since aluminium conducts electricity just fine.

It doesnt look that way judging by the All American sight.
I just cant see the advantage of getting the larger unit.
If what the Wife found is true and we cant water bath can with it thats not a big deal since we have plenty of large pots we could use.
But I dont see any reason why you coudnt water bath can with it considering the quart jars obviously fit in the damn thing.
Watched a YouTube video where a chick just got one and she said the same thing I did,whats the point of the larger canner when the capacity is the same?
I mean if I can do 7 quarts or 19 pints I think it'll be fine.
They list the 21.5 as a large family canner and since there's just the two of us.....
They say the 21.5 is there most popular model and since it was the only one I could get my hands on I guess I'll live with it.
Does it work well and do what it is supposed to do?

Does it work well and do what it is supposed to do?

Dont know.
It doesn't arrive till the 26th.
But according to all reviews it works great,and it's the top selling size.
And it's ranked the best brand canner in America and in Europe.
So yeah,I'm pretty comfortable saying it'll work.

We have an induction hot plate that we picked up to use for delicate recipes that require exact temps.
Unfortunately I read somewhere that you cant use aluminium pots on it which seems a bit weird since aluminium conducts electricity just fine.

Enamelware works on the induction hot plate. I used to have one and used it for my water bath canner.

Dont know.
It doesn't arrive till the 26th.
But according to all reviews it works great,and it's the top selling size.
And it's ranked the best brand canner in America and in Europe.
So yeah,I'm pretty comfortable saying it'll work.

Yep a good canner, especially an AA if properly cared for should last foreverrrrrrr.

Though you may need to have the gauge recalibrated every year or two or even replaced. Good idea to get extra parts now while you can

Enamelware works on the induction hot plate. I used to have one and used it for my water bath canner.

Yep a good canner, especially an AA if properly cared for should last foreverrrrrrr.

Though you may need to have the gauge recalibrated every year or two or even replaced. Good idea to get extra parts now while you can

Yeah the gauges arent all that expensive so it probably wouldnt hurt to pick few up.
Ya gotta figure there's a way to test them at home. Going to look into that.

Forum List

Back