Capitalism is NOT Democratic: Democracy is NOT Capitalist

Even after precipitating the biggest economic downturn since the Great Depression, finance capitalism is just as corrupt as it has ever been:
View attachment 524269
"On July 21, 2010, the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act (Dodd-Frank Act) became the law of the United States.

"Its promise to Americans was that it would reform the corrupt practices on Wall Street that had led to the worst financial collapse in 2008 since the Great Depression and the largest taxpayer bailout of Wall Street in history.

But here we are, 11 years later, with every one of those corrupt practices in full display at the Wall Street mega banks today.

"Losses from wild derivative bets check.

"Trading for the house (proprietary trading), check.

"Secret bailouts from the Fed, check.

"Credit Default swaps, check.

"The continuance of the private justice system on Wall Street, check.

"Banks paying rating agencies for ratings, check.

"Banks giving insanely leveraged loans to hedge funds, check...."

More than a Decade after the Volcker Rule Purported to Outlaw It, JPMorgan Chase Still Owns a Hedge Fund

"The Dodd-Frank Act was passed with President Obama, a Democrat, in the White House and Democrats in control of both the House and Senate. President Biden, a Democrat, now occupies the Oval Office.

"Democrats are once again in control of the House and Senate.

"Yes, there is much on their plate in the middle of a pandemic.

"But there will be a lot worse on their plate if there is another financial panic on Wall Street. It’s long past the time to clean up this toxic mess that threatens the financial stability of the United States and, thus, the national security of the nation"
A law passed by government to control economics failed. This is what your post demonstrates. It does not demonstrate a failure of capitalism.

Total back fire from you.

You are calling for more of the same failure.

zlw4n8lw6rc61.jpg

Even after precipitating the biggest economic downturn since the Great Depression, finance capitalism is just as corrupt as it has ever been:
View attachment 524269
"On July 21, 2010, the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act (Dodd-Frank Act) became the law of the United States.

"Its promise to Americans was that it would reform the corrupt practices on Wall Street that had led to the worst financial collapse in 2008 since the Great Depression and the largest taxpayer bailout of Wall Street in history.

But here we are, 11 years later, with every one of those corrupt practices in full display at the Wall Street mega banks today.

"Secret bailouts from the Fed, check.

"Credit Default swaps, check.

"The continuance of the private justice system on Wall Street, check.

"Banks paying rating agencies for ratings, check.

"Banks giving insanely leveraged loans to hedge funds, check...."

More than a Decade after the Volcker Rule Purported to Outlaw It, JPMorgan Chase Still Owns a Hedge Fund

"The Dodd-Frank Act was passed with President Obama, a Democrat, in the White House and Democrats in control of both the House and Senate. President Biden, a Democrat, now occupies the Oval Office.

"Democrats are once again in control of the House and Senate.

"Yes, there is much on their plate in the middle of a pandemic.

"But there will be a lot worse on their plate if there is another financial panic on Wall Street. It’s long past the time to clean up this toxic mess that threatens the financial stability of the United States and, thus, the national security of the nation"

Archegos used borrowed money to build massive positions in stocks including media companies ViacomCBS (VIACA) and Discovery (DISCA), and was unable to pay back its lenders when share prices dropped.

Durr.

Dear Customers: We lost $3.2 billion trading stocks and credit derivatives in the first quarter.

What was their income for the year?

Secret bailouts from the Fed, check.

Short-term, fully collateralized loans......Yawn.

JPMorgan Chase has exposure to $1.2 trillion in Credit Default Swaps while Citibank has exposure to $1.76 trillion for a combined total of $2.96 trillion as of September 30, 2019.

I had a $5 bet on a baseball game. My "exposure" was $5 billion. Scary!

Regards Capitalism I still struggle to get my head around this leftist brain fart that wealth and money-making is evil.

It isn't.

Corruption and bullying is evil, which (I will admit) a lot of wealthy people excel in. There's no doubt about that.

But the principle of free economies, wealth/money-making, giving people what they want, propping up economies etc is a good thing.

It enhances our lives, keeps us motivated and gives us things to aim for.

Personally speaking if there's something I want bad enough, I'll do over-time in work, save up for it, buy it and enjoy it. There's nothing wrong with that.

I do a lot of travelling around Europe with my friends watching my football team play. When a draw is made I'll book flights and hotels for us all on my credit card and that gives me and my friends a month to pay (we can then pay when we get our next wage through) pay the bill on time and not get hit with interest and charges.

Capitalism is good when it's done right.

It makes the world go round.

Why do the left and anti-capitalists not have a problem with people who become wealthy overnight like winning the lottery, left millions in someone's will when they die or some snotty rich kid born into wealth. All that seems to be OK with the maniacs but not someone who's worked hard and built up a company or empire?

The ones that make me laugh are always the ones who are all anti-capitalist from the comfort of their smart phones, laptops and tablets - ye know, stuff they don't want to go without either. Or protesting capitalism from Universities that cost them 100-grand for their 3/4 year tenure of study, where their aim is to come out of it the other side with a well-paid job and set for life.

Hypocrites.

Last edited:
Yep. They also have different domains. In the US we use democracy for government, but freedom for markets. That's by design. Economic power and state power should remain separate.
Freedom is best advanced through one person one vote.
Capitalism prefers one dollar one vote.
In the US "free" markets are those free of government regulation. Traditionally markets free from the legacy of feudalism, a landlord class, predatory banking, and monopolies that bondholders convinced government to create as a means of paying off national war debts qualify as free markets.
image-7.jpg

CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY AND SOCIAL REPORTING GROUP 4

Freedom is best advanced through one person one vote.
In the US "free" markets are those free of government regulation. Traditionally markets free from the legacy of feudalism, a landlord class, predatory banking, and monopolies that bondholders convinced government to create as a means of paying off national war debts qualify as free markets.
image-7.jpg

CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY AND SOCIAL REPORTING GROUP 4

Or in your case, zero dollars zero votes.

No sir. Our universities and colleges today are ideological indoctrination centers. Free speech and thought is dead on their campuses…That’s a fact.
How do you transmit, test, and expand knowledge without free speech?

On Freedom of Expression and Campus Speech Codes | AAUP

"Freedom of thought and expression is essential to any institution of higher learning. Universities and colleges exist not only to transmit knowledge.

"Equally, they interpret, explore, and expand that knowledge by testing the old and proposing the new.

"This mission guides learning outside the classroom quite as much as in class, and often inspires vigorous debate on those social, economic, and political issues that arouse the strongest passions.

"In the process, views will be expressed that may seem to many wrong, distasteful, or offensive. Such is the nature of freedom to sift and winnow ideas."

How do you transmit, test, and expand knowledge without free speech?

On Freedom of Expression and Campus Speech Codes | AAUP

"Freedom of thought and expression is essential to any institution of higher learning. Universities and colleges exist not only to transmit knowledge.

"Equally, they interpret, explore, and expand that knowledge by testing the old and proposing the new.

"This mission guides learning outside the classroom quite as much as in class, and often inspires vigorous debate on those social, economic, and political issues that arouse the strongest passions.

"In the process, views will be expressed that may seem to many wrong, distasteful, or offensive. Such is the nature of freedom to sift and winnow ideas."
That’s a joke right?

Life will be so much easier when government controls every-fucking-thing
"Life will be even easier when Libertarians admit private tyrannies are an even greater threat to individual liberties than government.

"Society will either be controlled by corporations or by democratically elected representatives.

"The only realistic non-violent alternative to our current corporately controlled government is to elect representatives who serve individual liberties instead of corporate profits.

Life will be even easier when Libertarians admit private tyrannies are an even greater threat to individual liberties than government.

If, and when, "private tyrannies" can arrest, imprison, and/or kill me if I defy them, I'll admit that.

Society will either be controlled by corporations or by democratically elected representatives.

Society should be "controlled" by neither. You forget the uniquely American premise that government is the servant of the people - not the master.

The only realistic non-violent alternative to our current corporately controlled government is to elect representatives who serve individual liberties instead of corporate profits.

You still haven't addressed the core contradiction of your view: "Government is controlled by corporations, thus we need more government."

Last edited:

Forum List

Back