Caroline Kennedy: Ambassador to Japan?

I'm sure there will be some sort of right wing opposition to it, even though it doesn't really matter. We could make Flava Flav ambassador to Japan, and I'm not sure it would affect our relations much.

There would be right wing opposition if Obama nominated Mitt Romney for the position. Their opposition has nothing to do with the person nominated, and everything to do with Obama. The right just naturally opposes ANYTHING he does and can NEVER give him credit, even when he's right.
Bullshit!

You don't appoint people, who sound like teenage girls, who spend all day texting about stupid shit to their BFF's, to high profile positions that fully represent this country abroad.

Well, unless you're as inept, and completely clueless as Obama has fully proven to be over the last four plus years.

Christ, he may as well have just appointed Paris Hilton to the position.

Because the post of Ambassador to Japan is not a token post, it should actually go to someone with a basic understanding of international relations.
No shit....Can you just imagine?

"OMG, it's like, that tree is so pretty. Is that, like, one of those Chia Pets?.....You Japanese people are soooooo little, it's like, O....M....G!, you like, must be soooooo good at playing hide and seek, and like, that game where you like, walk under the pole.....And, i'm sooooo impressed by how you all can like, cook that Sushi stuff. And, O...M...G, like, how do you people see?...Anyhow, like, my BFF and I would like, well, you know, like, would like to thank you on behalf of the like, american people, like, for fighting alongside us after, like, those Chinese bombed that Pearl Harbor place in California, and like, sunk all the lil' boats and stuff.....It was really really awesome, and like, can you make me one of those paper birds,....you know, like, one of those orgyami thingy's?.....And, well, like, O...M...G, how do you lil' people keep from burning, like, the Top Ramen, 'cause, well, how can you see, and how come, like, O...M....G, you like never ever ever open your eyes?"

No one has to do anything for you right wingers to be assholes.

You really don't know anything about the Kennedys do you? But it is consistent with your ignorance of every topic.

The Kennedys have always been devoted to social justice. Bobby and Ted were champions of the poor, the disenfranchised and the oppressed. Eunice devoted her life to the mentally handicapped. And Bobby's son Joe II created Citizen's Energy to offer free heating oil to the poor and elderly.

It is really easy for a rich person to talk about social justice. Tell me something, when was the last time they opened thier house to let homeless people stay there? When was the last time they sold everything they owned and gave it to the poor. I suggest that, if you really want to hold someone up as believing in social justice, you go find someone who, despite his wealth and power, took the bus to work every day, and prefers to live in a small apartment rather than stay in the Papal Enclave in the Vatican.

Want to tell me again about what I don't know?

You don't know SHIT.

Camp Shriver - the Beginnings of a Movement

When people speak of Camp Shriver - the origin of Special Olympics, they look no farther than Eunice Kennedy Shriver. They talk of one woman's dream that started in her own backyard. They speak of her vision that through sport, the lives of people with intellectual disabilities would be transformed and public perception would be changed.

Back in 1960, a woman from Bethesda, Md. called up Eunice and told her that she was having trouble finding a summer camp for her child with intellectual disability. The child wouldn't be accepted into a mainstream camp, and, at that time, the public education system couldn't figure out what to do with special-needs children never mind supply them with summer activities. Then another woman told her almost the same thing.

"Enough," said Eunice.

In Eunice's world, "enough" has always meant "do something about it."

Thus was born Camp Shriver, which she started at her Maryland farm, Timberlawn. Eunice asked special schools and clinics in her area to provide names of special-needs children who might be interested. Then she recruited high school and college students to act as counselors. It was almost a one-on-one situation--34 children, 26 counselors.

To almost everyone's surprise--the exception being Eunice--it was an instant success. The children swam, kicked soccer balls, shot baskets and rode horses under the summer sun. Perhaps most importantly, the young counselors, wary at first, began to see, as Eunice already had, that these children were not "difficult," "unteachable," "belligerent" and all those other stereotypes that had been ascribed to them. They merely wanted to have fun ... just like every other kid.

As the camp continued and flourished, people from the community came out to watch, and they were followed by representatives of the parks department and public-school system. "That's when it really began to catch on," Eunice said.

One of the most important aspects of Camp Shriver was Eunice's insistence there be an interaction between children with special needs and typical children. One of the latter was Tim, her son, just three years old when the camp began. Tim was paired with a young boy with intellectual disabilities named Wendell. They swam together, ate together, ran together and sometimes got in trouble together.

"The thing about Camp Shriver was that it was fun," says Tim. "That's what my parents are good at it--making important things fun."

As the number of campers grew over the years, reaching about 100, so did the number of counselors. Special-needs grow and thrive with attention, and at Camp Shriver there were never kids moping around alone. They were engaged. "My mother always believed that one-on-one relationships can change people's lives," says Maria Shriver.

Wow, she shuffled some poor people off to a farm she doesn't actually live in, I am so not impressed.

They were going to try and make hera Senator in New York until she opened her mouth.

She simply isn't very bright.

They were going to try and make hera Senator in New York until she opened her mouth.

The poor Liberals just don't have an intelligent Kennedy to keep their dreams of a monarchy alive.

It is really easy for a rich person to talk about social justice. Tell me something, when was the last time they opened thier house to let homeless people stay there? When was the last time they sold everything they owned and gave it to the poor. I suggest that, if you really want to hold someone up as believing in social justice, you go find someone who, despite his wealth and power, took the bus to work every day, and prefers to live in a small apartment rather than stay in the Papal Enclave in the Vatican.

Want to tell me again about what I don't know?

You don't know SHIT.

Camp Shriver - the Beginnings of a Movement

When people speak of Camp Shriver - the origin of Special Olympics, they look no farther than Eunice Kennedy Shriver. They talk of one woman's dream that started in her own backyard. They speak of her vision that through sport, the lives of people with intellectual disabilities would be transformed and public perception would be changed.

Back in 1960, a woman from Bethesda, Md. called up Eunice and told her that she was having trouble finding a summer camp for her child with intellectual disability. The child wouldn't be accepted into a mainstream camp, and, at that time, the public education system couldn't figure out what to do with special-needs children never mind supply them with summer activities. Then another woman told her almost the same thing.

"Enough," said Eunice.

In Eunice's world, "enough" has always meant "do something about it."

Thus was born Camp Shriver, which she started at her Maryland farm, Timberlawn. Eunice asked special schools and clinics in her area to provide names of special-needs children who might be interested. Then she recruited high school and college students to act as counselors. It was almost a one-on-one situation--34 children, 26 counselors.

To almost everyone's surprise--the exception being Eunice--it was an instant success. The children swam, kicked soccer balls, shot baskets and rode horses under the summer sun. Perhaps most importantly, the young counselors, wary at first, began to see, as Eunice already had, that these children were not "difficult," "unteachable," "belligerent" and all those other stereotypes that had been ascribed to them. They merely wanted to have fun ... just like every other kid.

As the camp continued and flourished, people from the community came out to watch, and they were followed by representatives of the parks department and public-school system. "That's when it really began to catch on," Eunice said.

One of the most important aspects of Camp Shriver was Eunice's insistence there be an interaction between children with special needs and typical children. One of the latter was Tim, her son, just three years old when the camp began. Tim was paired with a young boy with intellectual disabilities named Wendell. They swam together, ate together, ran together and sometimes got in trouble together.

"The thing about Camp Shriver was that it was fun," says Tim. "That's what my parents are good at it--making important things fun."

As the number of campers grew over the years, reaching about 100, so did the number of counselors. Special-needs grow and thrive with attention, and at Camp Shriver there were never kids moping around alone. They were engaged. "My mother always believed that one-on-one relationships can change people's lives," says Maria Shriver.

Wow, she shuffled some poor people off to a farm she doesn't actually live in, I am so not impressed.

A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing.
Oscar Wilde

You know, you have ZERO traits that could be mistaken for human. You really are a deplorable example of a human being.

What is impressive is not what Eunice did for herself, it is what she did for others. She lifted a whole group of human beings who were looked down upon living under the stigma of mental retardation and gave them self respect and self worth. She invented Special Olympics and started them at her own home.

Eunice Kennedy Shriver should be hailed as one of the most influential people of the 20th century.

Eunice Kennedy Shriver's Olympic Legacy

"She had the genius to see that she, in fact, was capable of major achievements helping these kids, and that's what she did. She dedicated her life to it," says Shorter.

She also opened her home. In 1962, an exhausted mother got Shriver on the phone. The woman wanted to know what to do because no summer camp would accept her child with mental retardation.

"I said, 'You don't have to talk about it anymore. You come here a month from today. I'll start my own camp. No charge to go into the camp, but you have to get your kid here, and you have to come and pick your kid up.' said, 'Thanks very much,' and I hung up the phone."

For years, Eunice Shriver ran that summer camp — for no charge — at Timberlawn, the family estate in Maryland. She would get in the pool and teach kids to swim. Her own children — Robert, Maria, Tim, Mark and Anthony — were just little kids in those days.

"Talk to Timmy," says Shriver, "[He'll] tell you horror stories about how they were left in the house and nobody to play with because was out teaching swimming."

There were scores of noisy campers, counselors, horses, soccer games and obstacle courses. Lyndon Johnson came once. Robert McNamara, too.

Sounds like a good gig to me.
She will not have to worry about protection there at least.
Because under this administration she wouldn't get it.

Sounds like a good gig to me.
She will not have to worry about protection there at least.
Because under this administration she wouldn't get it.

She is a Kennedy

Kennedys always have to worry about protection

Caroline Kennedy is an attorney, writer, and editor and serves on the boards of numerous non-profit organizations. From 2002 through 2004, she worked as director of the Office of Strategic Partnerships for the New York City Department of Education. The three-day-a-week job paid her a salary of $1 and had the goal of raising private money for the New York City public schools. In that capacity, she helped raise more than $65 million for the city’s public schools. wiki

284728.jpg
4918860.jpg

caroline+kennedy+child.jpg
jfk17.jpg

The poor Liberals just don't have an intelligent Kennedy to keep their dreams of a monarchy alive.

Where would they be if they had taught her how to fly??????

Maybe you can come up with something lower than that. There is nothing funnier than tragic deaths.

An Ambassador is nothing more than a figurehead, someone to attend social functions. The REAL work is done by the Attache'. So, as someone else posted - why not?

Forum List

Back