Cat Lovers Thread

Cat hasn't eaten in four (count 'em, 4) days. We were out of town all of last week and got a call from the pet sitter. Decided to wait until we got home and assess the issue. Vet said blood work is fine.

Got some kitty meds designed to stimulate appetite (feline THC?). :dunno:

Anyhow- still not eating so it's off to the vet tomorrow for x-rays looking for blockage or cancer.
She's old.

I dig pets, but when they go they go. And that's the end of it.
It might be time to consider predisone if the Vet can't find anything. One of our cats who is about 15 has had long periods of rejecting food and occasional vomiting. Despite test, X-rays, and ultrasounds, the vet could find nothing so he put the cat on predisone daily. Appetite picked up and he was back to his old self. We stopped the treatment, and he lost his appetite and the occasional vomiting returned. The vet then prescribed predisone again but in a smaller does that we give twice a week in kitty treats which he loves. Appetite returned and no vomiting. We know his days are numbered, but we want to do all we can for him.

Predisone has some bad long term side effects but if the Vet can't come up with something else, it might be worth considering.

Cat hasn't eaten in four (count 'em, 4) days. We were out of town all of last week and got a call from the pet sitter. Decided to wait until we got home and assess the issue. Vet said blood work is fine.

Anyhow- still not eating so it's off to the vet tomorrow for x-rays looking for blockage or cancer.
She's old.

It might be time to consider predisone if the Vet can't find anything. One of our cats who is about 15 has had long periods of rejecting food and occasional vomiting. Despite test, X-rays, and ultrasounds, the vet could find nothing so he put the cat on predisone daily. Appetite picked up and he was back to his old self. We stopped the treatment, and he lost his appetite and the occasional vomiting returned. The vet then prescribed predisone again but in a smaller does that we give twice a week in kitty treats which he loves. Appetite returned and no vomiting. We know his days are numbered, but we want to do all we can for him.

Predisone has some bad long term side effects but if the Vet can't come up with something else, it might be worth considering.

The xray was fine, so they took a pee sample. She has a urinary tract infection. Got meds for that. They also hydrated her with an IV. She started eating as soon as we got her home. :thup:

Has her teeth been checked? Pretties is all finicky AGAIN, but I refuse to give her a fresh can. Now I just make the popping noise so she THINKS it fresh and she dives in. It was her bad tooth in the back that made her not eat. She is still skinny, but gained a lb since her surgery to get it removed. She is 11 years old.

She's old.

The xray was fine, so they took a pee sample. She has a urinary tract infection. Got meds for that. They also hydrated her with an IV. She started eating as soon as we got her home. :thup:
If a cat is prone to UTI's, it's good idea to have blood test done yearly to check their kidney function. There're special diets for cats with kidney problems that can add years to their life.

We took in an abandoned male tabby about 10 years ago who unfortunately had a fairly advanced case of kidney disease. We gave him IV fluids about two or three times a week for a year till he passed. We got a prescription from the vet for the fluids, bought them by the case over the Internet and administered them ourselves to keep the cost down. I guess a lot of people would think we were nuts for doing this, but that was the most wonderful cat we have ever had and we loved him dearly. I still have a picture of him on my desk. I find it hard to believe that some one would abandon such wonderful animal.

PU-PUSS.jpg

Mostly by accident, one of the million or so photos I take of the kitty-cats came out, well, interesting.

My Sister says he looks like a Monkey-God but he's just my sweet, well behaved, almost 15 year old, high IQ black cat, PuBare.

BUGBUG.jpg
- oh well, another good photo. Bugaboo is quite photogenic - PuBare is almost impossible to get a good photo of.

So, thanks for letting me put my masterworks here.

o listen to ya mr h...when you were afraid the cat wasnt gonna make it...you were all...it is what it is..and hard core....we see you doing the little dance of love...knowing she is gonna pull thru....

you cant fool us

Oct 9, 2011
Jack the cat was born without eyes. When he was introduced to C.J. a little rescue kitten, he took to her immediately and became like a “mother” to a little white fuzzball. This is an remarkable story.

“Little C.J. was found in the local burn pile, we’re unsure whether she was left there by a human or if her mom was a stray that wandered off or died. A friend of my mom’s found her and planned on keeping her. However, she wasn’t going to be around for a couple days and asked if we’d babysit. While she was here, Jack decided to adopt C.J. He carries the kitten in his mouth like a mother cat would, cleans her, and plays with her. C.J. just loves it. Because of Jack, everyone decided it would be for the best if C.J. stayed here,” said Jamie on her flickr.

Jack the Blind Kitty Adopts Little Rescue Kitten

kittenl3.jpg

Forum List

Back