Cat Lovers Thread

Pretties is home. She had a really BAD back molar that was extremely exposing roots, so they yanked it. She is stumbling around like a drunk woman, but happy to be home and is now laying under the tree beneath the birdfeeder. They wanted me to lock her up in the house for 2 days and I said no. She loves being outside so she can go where she wants since she never leaves the yard anyway. They said she would be on narcotics and its dangerous to be near roads. I said she doesn't go in the road..and never has gone in the road in the 11 years I have had her. She likes the flowers and lawn in the back yard..which has 7 foot fences all around. Yes, she can get out if she wants to, but I don't think she has the strength to do it. And making her stay in the house would make her batshit. So nope. She is where she wants to be and she deserves that after what she went thru today.

Cost for her vet visit yesterday and todays surgery? 650 bucks. Good thing they allow payments. That is one expensive kitty now. :eek:

Anyway...thanks folks, for the prayers. She is doing fine. At 8pm, she will be more fine cuz thats when she gets her next dose of FeelGood drugs. :lol:

Pretties is home. She had a really BAD back molar that was extremely exposing roots, so they yanked it. She is stumbling around like a drunk woman, but happy to be home and is now laying under the tree beneath the birdfeeder. They wanted me to lock her up in the house for 2 days and I said no. She loves being outside so she can go where she wants since she never leaves the yard anyway. They said she would be on narcotics and its dangerous to be near roads. I said she doesn't go in the road..and never has gone in the road in the 11 years I have had her. She likes the flowers and lawn in the back yard..which has 7 foot fences all around. Yes, she can get out if she wants to, but I don't think she has the strength to do it. And making her stay in the house would make her batshit. So nope. She is where she wants to be and she deserves that after what she went thru today.

Cost for her vet visit yesterday and todays surgery? 650 bucks. Good thing they allow payments. That is one expensive kitty now. :eek:

Anyway...thanks folks, for the prayers. She is doing fine. At 8pm, she will be more fine cuz thats when she gets her next dose of FeelGood drugs. :lol:

Glad to know she is doing well. :)

She is still drunk, lol. BUT...she ate a few bites of food!!! I am surprised. And shocked. But I guess she is soooo hungry, fuck the pain? She gets her antibiotics and a dose of Feel Good drugs at 8pm and I am trying to figure out how to do it. thankfully they are droppers of liquid, but getting near her mouth is going to be....scarey.

Since this is the cat lovers thread....I thought I might ask for some cat-advice :)

Monday, a cat appeared on our back porch, meowing. I opened the door, and - despite the smell of dogs it came in meowing. Very friendly, been someone's housecat and new what a house was, neighbors didn't know it...I think it was dumped. Because it came in through the dog yard - I brought it in the house (I'm really afraid the dogs will kill a cat outside in the yard if they pack up).

So...Wednesday I took it to the vet to make sure it was leukemia negative before it had contact with my two house cats. I discovered it was neg, not pregnant and a neutered male. Sounds funny but he's a long haired ccat badly matted and I couldn't sex him. The vet noted he looked like he hadn't missed a meal in a while. He did however eat voraciously.

So...now he's here. We are however having litter box issues. I t hink he held it a long time then, went all around the litter box but not in it. Not cool. Took the top off...no difference. Bleached it so it wouldn't smell of other cats. No difference. Tonight I went out and bought a shallow box with no lid (different from the other) to see if that would help.

ONE time, he peed in the box, otherwise it's been on the outside. A bit frustrating as I can't try to find him a home if he won't use the box. He is a TOTAL purring lover and a cuddler.

Oddly...he matches my other two cats - black and white :)

I was just going to ask advice myself. Pretties is still wobbly and continues to keep going outside. So, I am letting her. How long does the wobble last?

ok.... you need to find some of his pee.... the more the better... soak it up with clean liter....then scoop it all back up and put it in a litter box...

that way he can smell himself (his own pee) and were he needs to go.......

and...i think you have a new cat :)

Since this is the cat lovers thread....I thought I might ask for some cat-advice :)

Monday, a cat appeared on our back porch, meowing. I opened the door, and - despite the smell of dogs it came in meowing. Very friendly, been someone's housecat and new what a house was, neighbors didn't know it...I think it was dumped. Because it came in through the dog yard - I brought it in the house (I'm really afraid the dogs will kill a cat outside in the yard if they pack up).

So...Wednesday I took it to the vet to make sure it was leukemia negative before it had contact with my two house cats. I discovered it was neg, not pregnant and a neutered male. Sounds funny but he's a long haired ccat badly matted and I couldn't sex him. The vet noted he looked like he hadn't missed a meal in a while. He did however eat voraciously.

So...now he's here. We are however having litter box issues. I t hink he held it a long time then, went all around the litter box but not in it. Not cool. Took the top off...no difference. Bleached it so it wouldn't smell of other cats. No difference. Tonight I went out and bought a shallow box with no lid (different from the other) to see if that would help.

ONE time, he peed in the box, otherwise it's been on the outside. A bit frustrating as I can't try to find him a home if he won't use the box. He is a TOTAL purring lover and a cuddler.

When you say he goes outside the litter box, do you mean he always goes right near it, just not in it? In other words, he's not peeing other places in the house, just near the litter box?

I ask because it brought to mind my cat who died of kidney disease, he had started peeing right outside the litter boxes. A large amount, too.

He might be experiencing discomfort when peeing that he blames on the litter box. Maybe a more complete checkup is in order.

That's a tough thing, I don't have a lot of tolerance for cat pee in the house. I currently have six cats, but I'm blessed, they all use the litter boxes. I have six litter boxes and make sure to clean them out each and every day.

I was just going to ask advice myself. Pretties is still wobbly and continues to keep going outside. So, I am letting her. How long does the wobble last?

I would think the wobble would be gone by tomorrow. But for the rest of today she might not quite be herself, might be wobbly, and might sleep a lot.

Well, that was fun. I tried to put her antibiotics in the catfood juice, which she loves, but she sneered her nose at it. So..I sucked the juice AND the antibotic up into the needleless syringe and squirted it in her mouth. She was NOT amused. So..now she is back outside sulking. :lol:

She has no desire to sleep. She is wandering the yard acting like she wants to pee...but there isn't anything to pee out. She refuses to use a litter box and has for the past 11 years. She uses the bathtub drain when its raining outside (for pee) but poops outside rain or not. A litterbox is beneath her dignity, I guess.

I figure I'm just gonna let her do what she wants to do. She got her antibiotics...but not her pain meds yet. She is not acting like she is in pain. Purring, wobbling around, rubbing her face against trees, the dog, my leg. Right now, she is pissed at me for squirting that stuff in her mouth, so I'm gonna leave her alone for now, lol. If I hear her meowing or acting like she is hurting, then I will squirt the pain meds but right now....she is where she wants to be. Sitting outside staring at...well...whatever.

When you say he goes outside the litter box, do you mean he always goes right near it, just not in it? In other words, he's not peeing other places in the house, just near the litter box?

I ask because it brought to mind my cat who died of kidney disease, he had started peeing right outside the litter boxes. A large amount, too.

He might be experiencing discomfort when peeing that he blames on the litter box. Maybe a more complete checkup is in order.

That's a tough thing, I don't have a lot of tolerance for cat pee in the house. I currently have six cats, but I'm blessed, they all use the litter boxes. I have six litter boxes and make sure to clean them out each and every day.

As far as I can tell it's right next to the box - pee and poop both - I scoop twice a day (though, in his box there is nothing to scoop). The vet thought he was 4-5 yrs old, and healthy. I suppose I could get bloodwork done on him, but damn-I just spent $120 I can't afford! I didn't/don't really want t a third cat.

tumblr_n2sarm4UMw1r4at3to3_500.jpg

She is still drunk, lol. BUT...she ate a few bites of food!!! I am surprised. And shocked. But I guess she is soooo hungry, fuck the pain? She gets her antibiotics and a dose of Feel Good drugs at 8pm and I am trying to figure out how to do it. thankfully they are droppers of liquid, but getting near her mouth is going to be....scarey.

Wrap her tight in a towel or something with just her head exposed.....then have your husband hold her while you grip her mouth open and just squirt the medicine in the mouth....she will swallow it quickly.

I'm glad that she is doing well and that she's home.....on her way to recovery.

Coyote, try putting his pee/poop in the box. Sort of like seeding it. LOL Also have him checked for UTI. A cheaper way to do that is to use a syringe to suck up pee from wherever he leaves it and just take the syringe to the vet.

For years, I had a diabetic cat who had been born at the vivarium at the Univ of AZ. I saw a sign at the medical library, "free kittens and python" and I couldn't get down there fast enough. Because my ex was terrified of snakes, I passed on the python. I've always regretted that I kept the abusive alcoholic but passed on the snake.

Anyway, one of the three kittens became diabetic. Having been born and raised in a stainless steel cage, he was afraid of everything and trips to the vet were hell for him. By the time we got there, the inside of his carried was covered with pee and poop so we'd bathe the cat and suck up the pee for the urine test. Then, when I got him home, I'd have to bathe him again. Loved that dear cat.

Anyway, seeding the litter box may not help. Also put puppy pads around the outside of the box. My huge Maine coon, Skip, had only one front leg so couldn't dig in the litter. He was so big that he'd get his front end in the box and let fly. He meant well but it was always a mess.

Gracie, modern anesthesia wears off pretty quickly. She's probably fine but I'd check with the vet for a possible reaction. The towel works really well for pilling. Just be sure to wrap it very tightly.

As far as I can tell it's right next to the box - pee and poop both - I scoop twice a day (though, in his box there is nothing to scoop). The vet thought he was 4-5 yrs old, and healthy. I suppose I could get bloodwork done on him, but damn-I just spent $120 I can't afford! I didn't/don't really want t a third cat.

Our cat wouldn't use the litterbox, she went all around it - until we got a different (unscented) brand of litter. Maybe your new kitty is just being picky.

Forum List

Back