Catholic hospital: Fetus is NOT a human being

Noomi

Ninja Kicker
Jul 6, 2012
Australia
Well well well. It seems that a fetus is a person only when the Church wants it to be. When faced with a multi million dollar lawsuit, they change their stance:

A chain of Catholic Hospitals has beaten a malpractice lawsuit by saying that fetuses are not equivalent to human lives.

According to the Colorado Independent, in the death of a 31-year-old woman carrying twin fetuses, Catholic Health Initiatives’ attorneys argued that in cases of wrongful death, the term “person” only applies to individuals born alive, and not to those who die in utero.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/www....by-saying-fetuses-arent-people/#ixzz2J3vVDLyM

So is a fetus a person or not, Catholics?

one article on some hospital speaks for all the Catholics in the country now?

Well well well. It seems that a fetus is a person only when the Church wants it to be. When faced with a multi million dollar lawsuit, they change their stance:

A chain of Catholic Hospitals has beaten a malpractice lawsuit by saying that fetuses are not equivalent to human lives.

According to the Colorado Independent, in the death of a 31-year-old woman carrying twin fetuses, Catholic Health Initiatives’ attorneys argued that in cases of wrongful death, the term “person” only applies to individuals born alive, and not to those who die in utero.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/www....by-saying-fetuses-arent-people/#ixzz2J3vVDLyM

Actually this is the way it should work.

Catholics or other religious persons who believe that life begins at conception are free to do so, and to not have an abortion or counsel a family member to not have an abortion in accordance with their faith.

Once in the legal/Constitutional realm, however, the law is paramount, in this case the law of the state of Colorado.

It’s perfectly appropriate, therefore, for the Church to argue facts of law in the case, and not religious dogma.

Actually this is the way it should work.

Catholics or other religious persons who believe that life begins at conception are free to do so, and to not have an abortion or counsel a family member to not have an abortion in accordance with their faith.

Once in the legal/Constitutional realm, however, the law is paramount, in this case the law of the state of Colorado.

It’s perfectly appropriate, therefore, for the Church to argue facts of law in the case, and not religious dogma.

Spot on.

Sorry about your fail there, Noom.

Lawyers for Catholic hospital argue that a fetus is not a person - CNN.com

Well, this is certainly interesting. With all the talk that has so often come from the church about how voting for pro-choice candidates is a sin, etc, now the church wants to hide behind the convenience of saying that a fetus is actually not a human being after all. This is almost as bad as Obama calling for a gun ban while surrounded by dozens of armed guards.

The wrongfulness of the death aside, how can a Catholic hospital justifiably make such an argument? With all the talk about employers providing birth control, the arguments there cannot be simultaneous maintained with the arguments there; if religious belief supposedly justify exclusions from the law then the church cannot argue legal technicalities that violate the same core beliefs.

I'll be interested to see how the larger church responds to this incident.

Lawyers for Catholic hospital argue that a fetus is not a person - CNN.com

Well, this is certainly interesting. With all the talk that has so often come from the church about how voting for pro-choice candidates is a sin, etc, now the church wants to hide behind the convenience of saying that a fetus is actually not a human being after all. This is almost as bad as Obama calling for a gun ban while surrounded by dozens of armed guards.

The wrongfulness of the death aside, how can a Catholic hospital justifiably make such an argument? With all the talk about employers providing birth control, the arguments there cannot be simultaneous maintained with the arguments there; if religious belief supposedly justify exclusions from the law then the church cannot argue legal technicalities that violate the same core beliefs.

I'll be interested to see how the larger church responds to this incident.

As for the hospital's potential liability, we are not given any information as to why this woman died and/or if there was any direct negligence committed by the hospital that led to her death. What I find hilarious though, is the fact that a Catholic Hospital would argue that these two babies that died were not human beings. I would agree with that assessment if the fetuses were in their early stages, but at 28 weeks, both could have survived outside the mother's womb given adequate care. Survivability of babies born at 27 to 28 weeks is over 95% today. I really don't see how any hospital could claim that these fetuses were not viable. Worse yet, is the fact that the court agreed with them.

She died of a pulmonary embolism. The hospital had nothing to do with it. They followed the law of the state otherwise.

Last edited:
all Bush's fault...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgyMUChgcbU]Warren Zevon - Lawyers, Guns, and Money - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the hospital's potential liability, we are not given any information as to why this woman died and/or if there was any direct negligence committed by the hospital that led to her death. What I find hilarious though, is the fact that a Catholic Hospital would argue that these two babies that died were not human beings. I would agree with that assessment if the fetuses were in their early stages, but at 28 weeks, both could have survived outside the mother's womb given adequate care. Survivability of babies born at 27 to 28 weeks is over 95% today. I really don't see how any hospital could claim that these fetuses were not viable. Worse yet, is the fact that the court agreed with them.

The lawyers for the hospital said the babies were not babies in accordance with State law.

The hospital did not claim the babies were not viable.

The State Law agreed with them.
Time to change the laws of the state???

FWIW-This is a tiny hospital, basically in the middle of nowhere, who happened to save my child's life.

The hospital had a moral and legal responsibility to attempt to save the fetuses if that is what the mother and/or surviving father wanted. The question of when life begins shouldn't have entered into it whatsoever.

This was her community hospital that her OB sent her to, they are there to provide care and as far as I can tell they didn't even attempt to do so.

The lawyers for the hospital said the babies were not babies in accordance with State law.

The hospital did not claim the babies were not viable.

The State Law agreed with them.
Time to change the laws of the state???

FWIW-This is a tiny hospital, basically in the middle of nowhere, who happened to save my child's life.

Legally, the Hospital's lawyers did exactly what they were supposed to do, find a legal loophole that shielded their clients from liability.

Philosophically, though, when you have the Catholic Bishops oppossing ObamaCare because they might have to pay for birth control for their non-Cahtolic employees working at hospitals, because life begins at conception and so on, their position if morally bankrupt.

Unless you consider, like all religions, it is just about financial gain because their Imaginary Pixie in the Sky needs money.

Seriously. Fuck religion. It never did a good thing once, even by accident.

It's hypocritical to be sure.

I wonder if anyone will still be prosecuted for 2 counts of murder for killing a pregnant woman.

snl-church-lady.jpg

Forum List

Back