CBO says that high spending, not low taxes, drives debt

These Republicans. I swear. If they hadn't worked with the Chamber of Commerce and China to move millions of jobs to China and close tens of thousands of factories here in this country, we would have money through revenue. But the dumb fucks always go on about about spending. How much spending wouldn't be needed if they hadn't fucked up the economy? And what is their plan now? Do nothing? How will that make money? Something even a tard can figure out.

I find myself completely unable to follow your lack of logic. Taxes have consistently run at 20% of GDP no matter what the rates have been, debt has consistently gone up since Eisenhower. Combining those two factual statements leads logical people to believe you are full of shit.

You didn't bother to look at the chart I linked to. The numbers I used are factual data. Your '20% of GDP no matter what' is nonsensical.

You provided a chart that proved how delusional you are and I missed it? Do you understand the difference between gross receipts and percent of GDP? If you don't, tell me which years you think prove your point and I will use your chart, and the specific years you are talking about, to prove mine.

You can start by proving your claim that taxes consistently run at 20% of GDP.

Prove it with historical data from a reliable source, or we'll consider it retracted and out of the conversation.

My figures are all in the link I provided.

Who'da thunk it? If only someone had pointed this out before we might have been able to do something like cut spending instead of trying to raise taxes.

9 Takeaways From the CBO?s New Budget Report - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Your title does not match your post. The CBO said no such thing. You quoted a political blog using CBO data to draw an conclusion CBO did not make. I'll be charitable and assume you never bothered to look up the CBO report and were unaware that the blog drew a false conclusion.

So do you agree with my characterization of what you did, or are you going to attempt to parse the CBO report to support a statement CBO did not make and never would have made?

You didn't bother to look at the chart I linked to. The numbers I used are factual data. Your '20% of GDP no matter what' is nonsensical.

You provided a chart that proved how delusional you are and I missed it? Do you understand the difference between gross receipts and percent of GDP? If you don't, tell me which years you think prove your point and I will use your chart, and the specific years you are talking about, to prove mine.

You can start by proving your claim that taxes consistently run at 20% of GDP.

Prove it with historical data from a reliable source, or we'll consider it retracted and out of the conversation.

My figures are all in the link I provided.

If you have a problem with my figures provide examples that show that they don't run around 20% of GDP.

Who'da thunk it? If only someone had pointed this out before we might have been able to do something like cut spending instead of trying to raise taxes.

Your title does not match your post. The CBO said no such thing. You quoted a political blog using CBO data to draw an conclusion CBO did not make. I'll be charitable and assume you never bothered to look up the CBO report and were unaware that the blog drew a false conclusion.

So do you agree with my characterization of what you did, or are you going to attempt to parse the CBO report to support a statement CBO did not make and never would have made?

Don't be charitable, show me what the CBO said that contradicts their summary of the report, which I agree with.

A deceptive, disingenuous and downright distorted lie through omission?

Oh Windy?!

Takeaways instead of analysis of honestly factual arguments

to economists, deficits are simply the difference between revenues and outlays. A large deficit could be a good thing if it's going toward a productive investment. A small deficit can be a bad thing if the economy needs more support. So if you're worried about deficits, you need to say why.
intereting and honest...

Joe Scarborough, Paul Krugman and the economist-pundit divide on debt and deficits - The Washington Post

Simply pointing out that the deficit has exceeded $1 trillion a year lately, and that that is a really big number, isn't much of an economic argument
:lol:

Last edited:
From 2001 to 2011 low tax revenue was the biggest driver of debt. Since 2012 spending is driving the debt.

fredgraph.png

First we had the Bush Tax Cuts and the two unfunded wars.

Then we had the collapsed economy that come from the Bush tax cuts and moving jobs to China.

Revenue as Share of GDP is the thing, the historical share has been if I recall, 18.0%(?), the key is to grow the pie not the slice...;) if you get 18% of 120, you're better off than getting 18.5 of 100...tax reform gets us there, smart tax reform.

Growing inflation & debt is not growing the pie.

From 2001 to 2011 low tax revenue was the biggest driver of debt. Since 2012 spending is driving the debt.

fredgraph.png

I am sorry but I just don't buy the 'logic' that when a decision is made to let people keep more of their money, and, the gov. continues to spend at levels that incur debt. that the issue is taxes......imho, thats a lazy way to look at it, yes the issue is taxes only in that they are not adjusting spending according to revenue.

It is lazy move to raise spending & cut taxes on tax payers credit card to buy votes. It takes balls to balance the budget. Borrowing from future taxes to cut current taxes is not a tax cut. It is a tax & inflation increase.

fredgraph.png

I am sorry but I just don't buy the 'logic' that when a decision is made to let people keep more of their money, and, the gov. continues to spend at levels that incur debt. that the issue is taxes......imho, thats a lazy way to look at it, yes the issue is taxes only in that they are not adjusting spending according to revenue.

It is lazy move to raise spending & cut taxes on tax payers credit card to buy votes. It takes balls to balance the budget. Borrowing from future taxes to cut current taxes is not a tax cut. It is a tax & inflation increase.
I have been looking for that tax payer credit card. There must be a history of taxpayers paying off that credit card, but you can't document it. Instead, we have the lowest taxes since the very early 50's or before. Someone seems a whole lot confused.
Maybe we should follow the reagan plan and drop taxes and gov spending, right now while unemployment is still high and aggregate demand is still low. Maybe, instead of reagan's 10.8% unemployment, and lowered tax revenue, we can get to a new second highest unemployment rate since the great depression. OR, we could find his resultant plan of raising taxes and stimulus spending and drive the rate down, increase revenues, and have a GOOD economy.
When was it that spending drove the economy downward. I seem to be missing that one.

fredgraph.png

Yeah, damn that messy democracy and compromise the founders and framers left us with :evil:

:laugh2:

Oh and what happened to the Pay As You Go Democrats in congress and President Obama? Why do they not pay for anything as they go? Why do we never hear anything about that from the left?

GWB killed the PayGo concept with his unfunded wars of conquest. Paygo only ever made sense in a limited set of economic circumstances which we are not in. Good riddance.

Revenue as Share of GDP is the thing, the historical share has been if I recall, 18.0%(?), the key is to grow the pie not the slice...;) if you get 18% of 120, you're better off than getting 18.5 of 100...tax reform gets us there, smart tax reform.

If you track unemployment against the deficit, they are almost the same track. When unemployment goes down, so does the deficit. When unemployment rises the deficit increases. Both are a function of the level of production. The only way to lower the deficit is to stimulate economic growth, which lowers unemployment and increases tax revenues while reducing "automatic stabilizer" payments.

Don't be charitable, show me what the CBO said that contradicts their summary of the report, which I agree with.

Your source was not the CBO. The CBO report is here:
http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/attachments/44172-Baseline2.pdf

You might want to read it.

CBO said:
If the current laws that govern federal taxes and spending
do not change, the budget deficit will shrink this year to
$642 billion, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO)
estimates, the smallest shortfall since 2008. Relative
to the size of the economy, the deficit this year—at
4.0 percent of gross domestic product (GDP)—will be
less than half as large as the shortfall in 2009, which was
10.1 percent of GDP.
Because revenues, under current law, are projected to rise
more rapidly than spending in the next two years, deficits
in CBO’s baseline projections continue to shrink, falling
to 2.1 percent of GDP by 2015 (see Table 1 on page 8).
However, budget shortfalls are projected to increase later
in the coming decade, reaching 3.5 percent of GDP in
2023, because of the pressures of an aging population,
rising health care costs, an expansion of federal subsidies
for health insurance, and growing interest payments on
federal debt.

Growing inflation & debt is not growing the pie.

growing the economy that spins off higher revenue and smart tax reform is what grows the pie.

fredgraph.png

I agree, Bush did start to get historically high revenue, but, he spent it and then some. The deficit went down, BUT debt still went up.

Tax reform, obama now says he doesn't want to do it the way we have in the past, he wants revenue to spend, so his 'reform' = massaging out loopholes, deductions etc. and keep rates the same or raise them.... a) that won't work, b) it won't do squat as to the balance sheet overall and the gov. won't realize a higher yield on revenue anyway, except by raising the % of the SLICE, NOT the pie. ;)

How we accumulated so much debt is simple. We let tax revenues fall below 19% of GDP for long stretches, during which we ran our biggest deficits and thus added most to that debt.

We need to tie spending to taxes. The American free lunch has been caused by giving Americans spending that was not paid for by taxes.

Historical federal tax revenues have averaged 19% of GDP. Then the ultra rich have loopholes so they don't pay federal taxes or pay low 13% like Mitt Romney. The rest of us get saddled with payroll & income taxes costing us 33% with an effective federal tax rate of 22% after deductions. The middle class is subsidizing the rich who are driving up the deficit & stealing the SS surplus. Middle Class payroll taxes are carrying the Rich & the country. It's time the Rich got off the back or the Middle Class & carried their own fat ass.

federal-tax-revenue-big.gif

Last edited:

Your source was not the CBO. The CBO report is here:
http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/attachments/44172-Baseline2.pdf

You might want to read it.

CBO said:
If the current laws that govern federal taxes and spending
do not change, the budget deficit will shrink this year to
$642 billion, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO)
estimates, the smallest shortfall since 2008. Relative
to the size of the economy, the deficit this year—at
4.0 percent of gross domestic product (GDP)—will be
less than half as large as the shortfall in 2009, which was
10.1 percent of GDP.
Because revenues, under current law, are projected to rise
more rapidly than spending in the next two years, deficits
in CBO’s baseline projections continue to shrink, falling
to 2.1 percent of GDP by 2015 (see Table 1 on page 8).
However, budget shortfalls are projected to increase later
in the coming decade, reaching 3.5 percent of GDP in
2023, because of the pressures of an aging population,
rising health care costs, an expansion of federal subsidies
for health insurance, and growing interest payments on
federal debt.

From the link in the OP.

1. Over the next few years, debt levels are expected to be stable—and even decline slightly. Today’s federal debt is equal to 73 percent of gross domestic product (GDP). That’s expected to drop to 68 percent of GDP by 2018. But that’s still historically high, and a huge increase from just a few years ago: Debt was just 39 percent of GDP in 2008, about where it’s been, on average, for forty years. And even these slightly lower debt levels won’t last for long.

I guess that makes you wrong.

Again.

How we accumulated so much debt is simple. We let tax revenues fall below 19% of GDP for long stretches, during which we ran our biggest deficits and thus added most to that debt.

We need to tie spending to taxes. The American free lunch has been caused by giving Americans spending that was not paid for by taxes.

Historical federal tax revenues have averaged 19% of GDP. Then the ultra rich have loopholes so they don't pay federal taxes or pay low 13% like Mitt Romney. The rest of us get saddled with payroll & income taxes costing us 33% with an effective federal tax rate of 22% after deductions. The middle class is subsidizing the rich who are driving up the deficit & stealing the SS surplus. Middle Class payroll taxes are carrying the Rich & the country. It's time the Rich got off the back or the Middle Class & carried their own fat ass.

federal-tax-revenue-big.gif

I saw 18.1%....*shrugs*

yes to an extent thats what I have been saying. tax reform will get some of that from the 'rich', driving up their effective rates, the productive side of that dropping rates BUT closing loopholes and stopping some deductions is what gets us that revenue from them.

Now keeping in mind too, like it or not, the middle class is where the $$ is. You can create an effective rate of 50% on anyone over 500K and? The number of folks at that rate, won't do it all, you know that. ;)

REAL tax reform bro. Example- the AMT, was enacted in 1969 when the marginal rate was 77%.......and it only affected 200K couples filing jointly.

Forum List

Back